Patrick Towles will play the third series against Vandy

(Missouri Mag)

If you’re still wondering why Patrick Towles subbed in for Jalen Whitlow after Whitlow opened the game with drives of 60 and 50 yards, be ready to scratch your head again on Kentucky’s third possession against Vanderbilt. Joker Phillips announced today that Whitlow will start against Vandy for the first two series; Patrick Towles will rotate in as he did against Missouri and Mississippi State.

Joker said they have to play Towles and the only way to make sure he gets in is to have a plan before the game.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Patrick Towles will play the third series against Vandy

1. tabbl
    1:02 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Joker is trying to expedite his firing.

2. I Say
    1:02 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I didnt even watch the game saturday, I think I was watching a re-run of Jersey Shore or something.

3. TheDecker
    1:04 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Seriously?? Is this guy trying to get fired?? Is it really that difficult to substitute within the game flow?

4. GolfClappin'MammaJamma
    1:06 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I see what you did there, Franklin. Well Played sir.

5. Mack
    1:08 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Love it when a plan comes together.

6. Guest
    1:09 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

In Florida’s first game of the season the coaches said Driskell was getting the first quarter and Burton would get the second. Then the Gators only got one first quarter offensive possession. The coaches changed their gameplan on the fly and let Driskell play longer. Then Burton got playing time. That is how you ensure someone gets to play – by making smart coaching decisions. Wow!

7. BoDiazSatelliteService
    1:12 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

#HasJokerBeenFiredYet

8. SeoulCat
    1:19 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Why?

9. best1978
    1:19 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

The plan WILL NOT be deviated from. GOT IT?

10. Dumbtroll
    1:20 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Dumb troll is dumb

11. Big Blue Coming at You
    1:24 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I’m so glad i decided not to care any longer about UK football until something is done about this mess.

12. youknowit
    1:24 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

“It’s times like this when you must have trust in the system.”
    – Tubby Smith

13. OneAndDone
    1:24 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I’m going to guess that Joker no longer has the reins of this program. Sounds like to me that Patrick Towels dad has control over coaching decisions now likely threatening a transfer if his son doesn’t get playing time. This program is a total JOKE and I am completely tuning out until major changes happen. Peace

14. yesterdays
    1:25 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I have a hard time deciding what is worse- Watching Randy Sanders call moronic plays or watching Joker allow those plays to be called. Sometimes I dont think Sanders considers down, distance, or the actual score when calling plays.

15. wildcat502
    1:26 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

So………………………no matter how well Whitlow is doing, Towels will be in there for the third series. Thanks Joker for the information. Now Vandy can prepare for a running quarterback on series 1 and 2. Then a throwing quarterback on series 3 and probably 4. I`m sure Vandy appreciates the info, like they will really need it.

16. wildcat502
    1:27 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Barnhardt doesnt care, so why should the fans

17. SteveM
    1:31 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Mods–why was my post deleted??? Because I dare suggest Barnhart should be fired?

18. Joker Philips
    1:32 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Hey Coach Franklin,
    Here is the UPS tracking number on our playbook. Text me if you have any questions:
    1ZY3759X2838112289

Good luck and see ya on Saturday.

19. NashCat
    1:43 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

and I’m sure I’ll be ready to make a channel change by the third series.

20. Greg
    1:47 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

To paraphrase…’if it’s already broke then why break it?…? (Dam, I’m sounding like a UaK coordinator!).

21. chad
    1:49 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

We have to stick to that plan just like we have to stick to the plan for the defense and offense. The lack of the ability to adjust those plans is why we are so bad.

22. If they had three brain cells
    1:51 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Now if they had three brains cell left in their head they would start towles let him get convince and rhythm with a few easy throws and then sub whitlow in as a wildcat/option QB to keep the defense on their toes. But that might require a gameplan that 9th grader who plays madden couldnt come up with, or strategy, or any form of imagination. I swear this coaching staff couldn’t win the SEC east with Alabamas talent. spurrier, muschamp and richt could call plays from their house over their cell phone and still out coach joker and his idiot coordinators.

23. Hash
    1:52 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Okay, it’s almost as if Joker is now daring Mitch to make a move.

24. Willis talkin bout..
    1:52 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Just put in Bookie.. let him run it every down.. not like it could get any worse. Save anyone actually capable of being an SEC QB for next season when we actually have a coaching staff that doesn’t act like this is Pop Warner.. the SEC should fine us for the product we put on the field.. and if they did.. Joker wouldn’t be out coach!

25. brooks queen
    1:53 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

DAH???!!!

26. Willis talkin bout..
    1:58 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

or better yet.. Tell Mitch, Joker, Sanders, and Minter to just stay at home and pack. Let the players call the plays. Sad when the biggest handicap to the team is the coaching staff.

27. bigbluegh
    2:01 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I remember another UK coach that refused to make adjustments to the game plan…led to losses to teams such as Gardner-Webb. How’d that work out?

28. Hash
    2:10 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

30-Good point.

29. 9-asty
    2:11 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I think this is an attempt by Joker to justify burning Pat’s redshirt. I think that he definitely needs to be put into the game for a decent amount of snaps, but this can be done within the flow of the game instead of guessing when will be the best time.

30. wildcat502
    2:14 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Recruiting and the affects of no one out there doing it. Hmmmm, its not basketball so no one cares

31. ukwildcatfan86
    2:27 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

What a genius game plan. Since it worked so well in the last 2 games we did this. We probably would have beaten Mizzou had Whitlow got to play more since he had the offense on a roll.

32. BBN
    2:37 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Soooooooo, the story during the practices leading up to the start of the season was that we weren’t going to name a starter so the first team on the schedule couldn’t prepare for us offensively. NOW, these jokers, announce on stinking Monday what our game plan will be for next Saturdays game??? Really? Sum’b!tch, this staff is stupid. Joker has used up all of the good standing he once had with me – he is KILLING our program. If any of you do go to the game, please BOOOOOOOO this idiot off the field. Gawd!

33. Seriously?
    2:41 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Are you kidding me? They are really going to rotate Towles in again, regardless of what is happening on the field? It reminds me of the 3rd grade girls volleyball team that I coach, where we bring a player in off the bench with every rotation so no one gets their feelings hurt. I know Towles has a lot of potential, but for the love of God, make a conscious decision to insert him into the game when it is appropriate. It is this kind of “mail it in” decision making, both from the coaching staff and the administration above it, that has doomed this program to mediocrity throughout its existence.

34. Tdr76
    2:47 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I’m not a football coach, but I would probably wait and make adjustments in accordance to how the game is unfolding. I’m pretty sure that is what a real coaching staff does.

35. Num1UKfan
    3:10 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Just shows what an idiot we have as a football coach. If something is working, you don’t need to fix it!!!

36. Ryan
    4:11 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Hand Patrick Towles the ball and the keys to the offense. Let him get some experience and develop in the final games of the season. He is the future. You’ve already wasted his redshirt, so don’t let it be a total loss and let him get some reps.

37. $$$$$$ Buyout
    4:38 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

37…Joker is not a coach either.

38. UK is going to pot
    8:42 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Nice picture Drew! So immediately after the Missouri game, Sanders says if he had to do it over again, Whitlow would have played the 3rd series.
    Now two days later Joker says that Whitlow will be replaced after the 2nd series this week. Duh, whose on first?
    The only person Joker has to play is Harmon and Foster.
    Does Joker realize people drive 100s of miles across the state of Kentucky to UK football games and they are getting tired of nonsense and crummy football?

39. Absolutely Amazing Jokester
    9:06 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Great game plan. It didn’t work last week so why not do the same exact thing again. Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over knowing you are going to get the same results. Maybe have Joker announce between the 2nd and 3rd offensive series that ticket prices are going up next year.

40. Jansen
    1:26 am November 1, 2012 Permalink

#15 You’re right, Towles’ dad now has control over how much his kid gets played. I’m sure the coaching staff got the message from his daddy that if my kid doesn’t get to play….. then we are going to take our ball and go elsewhere! Somewhere that he is appreciated and somewhere that he will get to play immediately! Just like someone else said I’m sure Joker feels somewhat bad about burning his redshirt year and now they feel like they have to play him, no matter how well Whitlow is playing!! Whitlow is doing well and he can also run the ball which Towles can’t do! They need to just let Whitlow have all the time he needs and not worry about Towles.