Patrick Towles: “I’m here to stay.”

Despite the uncertainty of Kentucky’s head coaching situation, Patrick Towles says he’s staying in Lexington for the long haul. The highly-touted freshman knows that a change at the top could mean changes everywhere else on the team. That is especially true for the most important position on the field: the quarterback. Whoever is coaching the 2013 Wildcats will have three guys with in-game experience to choose from in Towles, Maxwell Smith and Jalen Whitlow. With the success Smith began the year with, he seems like the early leader for the starting quarterback gig next season. Smith might also be eligible for a medical redshirt that would give him an extra year as a Wildcat. If he’s given that extra year, Kentucky brings back three sophomore quarterbacks to compete for the position.

From Towles perspective, there are a lot of things he’ll have to battle to become Kentucky’s starter. For one, there will be a new coaching staff in place that didn’t recruit him. They’ll know his reputation but he’ll still have to prove his talent. Next, Smith could now be in the same class as Towles. With Towles’ redshirt burned this year, all three quarterbacks will essentially be competing for the starting job until they run out of eligibility. Three talented quarterbacks fighting for one spot should sound like dream scenario for Kentucky fans but when you came to a school to be a starting quarterback, it’s more like a nightmare. With Smith already a full year ahead of Towles (in terms of playing experience), it’s a very tough scenario for the young freshman. I caught up with Towles after practice to gauge where he’s at with the news of Joker’s dismissal as well as his play on the football field:

********

-How have things been since you learned of Joker’s dismissal?

“Well, you know, it’s the process we’ve been dealt, the hand we’ve dealt, and we have to do what we can to excel with the circumstances. These practice reps that I’m getting are extremely beneficial. I’m just trying to get all the snaps and experience that I can.”

-Have your practice reps changed at all?

“No, they are pretty much the same. I’m taking (first-team) reps here and there, just trying to get acclimated to everything and everybody because I’m going to be in the game at some point. They’ve been about the same. We’re just really trying to get ready for Saturday.”

-How has Max Smith been as a mentor since his injury?

“On the sidelines is where Max has been most beneficial. When it’s two freshmen quarterbacks against SEC defenses, it’s easy to get rattled. I think me and Jalen have both done good a job of not getting as rattled as we had been. But, yeah, Max does a really good job of keeping everybody calm, letting everybody know what’s going on and making sure everyone is doing a good job.”

-If you had to pick three characteristics that UK’s next coach would have what would they be?

“I think there’s only one that really matters and that’s being a winner. We just want to win and unfortunately with Coach Phillips we couldn’t get that done. We’re going to try hard to get two wins these next two weeks, but, you know, I want a coach that is going to help me do my goal and as weird as this sounds, it’s winning a National Championship.”

-Are you (at Kentucky) for the long haul?

“(Emphatically) Yes, sir.”

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

14 Comments for Patrick Towles: “I’m here to stay.”

1. Logan
    8:14 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Tough break Patrick. Good luck

2. barn
    8:20 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

this kid should have had better advice during his recruitment

3. Mikey1286
    8:21 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Good news going forward. I think he has a chance to be a nice piece for the rebuilding process. Kind of a shame he lost a year of eligibility on a wasted season.

4. Buckets
    8:23 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

The next coach should name Towles the starter and use Whitlow as a change-of-pace backup.

5. tyson
    8:26 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I can’t imagine that Patrick and his advisers are completely shocked that Joker is no longer the coach. I am sure they realized when he committed that it was a distinct possibility.

6. froggystyle
    8:46 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Towles would thrive in a Petrino offense. Just a suggestion…..

7. Rick
    9:11 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Thank god.

8. Clem
    9:40 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

How many people on a 1-9 team have the balls to say that their goal is to win the National Championship..that’s awesome and that’s the attitude you want leading your team.

9. Cleatus
    9:42 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Great news. Should be a fun year next season

10. Marv
    9:49 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

They should have waited until the end of the season to announce Joker’s firing. We should be thankful that He’s coaching the final two games. From what I’ve followed, he does seem to care about the kids and not to put them in harms way. I guess he’s probably fulfilling his contractual duties. Just think if he wasn’t coaching next two games. I just want to see these kids survive the season at this point. It will be very interesting to see how the coaching staff and the players react. Go Cats, and good freaking luck!!

11. Marv
    9:54 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I hope most of these kids come back, because if Towes doesn’t have a team he’s screwed. Will end up being another could have been. This whole situation is just saddening right now. Should have kept Joker another season and fired the offensive coordinator. We probably haven’t seen the worst yet.

12. SoCal Will
    9:54 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

From the mouths of babes, “…there is only ONE that really matters and that’s being a WINNER.”

13. burger
    4:35 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

WILDCAT FAITHFUL… READ THIS MESSAGE AND REPOST EVERYWHERE

It’s sad when the guy deciding who your next football coach will be WASN’T AROUND YOUR PROGRAM BEFORE 2002.

I remember the late 70′s, 80′s and the 90′s (Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne, Bill Curry, Hal Mumme). My Mom and Dad tell me about the 60′s and the 70′s (Blanton Collier, Charlie Bradshaw, John Ray), and my grandparents tell me about the 40′s and 50′s (A.D. Kirwan, Bernie Shivley, Bear Bryant).

Think of all the contributions my family & others have made over the years (not just ticket purchases, but Blue/White donations for lower level seats to bball & fball). All the road games we would drive to and support our team no matter the outcome.

Here we are on the cusp of potential, where an AD who didn’t even know what Blue Blood was 10 years ago, is going to make a decision for me and my family and the future generations of Wildcat Faithful. Who knows if he or his family will be here… but my family will be.

The Wildcat Faithful is a rare breed in today’s sports. How many programs have been so mediocre for so long yet continued to pack the stadium? No one understands it, but I only hope our message has been understood.

It’s almost unfair that 1 guy can either make the right move, steer our program into a certain oblivion or make the “safe” choice to protect his job.

Take a second to think about your job Mitch Barnhart. This isn’t about YOU!

Give the Wildcat Faithful of the Commonwealth a chance to get all those programs back for having been patient & supportive all these years.

Take the reduction in attendance this year as a MAJOR sign that “YOU” are on watch. A program who’s fans have always been behind it’s program and always continued to attend even during losing season even when we lost faith in it’s direction. This drastic measure so often taken by other programs fans as their first choice became hesitantly our only card left to play… and we held it back longer than any other programs fans that I can remember.

This was a direct message to “YOU”.

Get out of our way, make the decision that will give us a real chance, and by doing so you will be doing your job.

14. bluebarnes
    6:42 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

This kid won’t be the starter next year. If he couldn’t grasp the offense already and would have given this offense the best chance to put points on the board. He will continue to be 3 string. The worst part we will have to listen to the Bunning klan cry the blues for his cause and mainly theirs.