Patrick Patterson shares his powerful opinion on Black Panther

Please excuse the fact that Patterson’s article is from March, but if I missed it maybe others did, too.

Midway through March Madness former UK-great Patrick Patterson took to The Players’ Tribune to discuss his thoughts on Black Panther. However, this wasn’t your typical movie review. Patterson pulls back the curtain on his upbringing and shares personal details of never having African American role models to look up to as a child. Whether it was characters, actors, directors or writers, Patterson spent years watching movies before realizing none of these movies were telling his story.

Then he saw Black Panther.

“The movies are supposed to be this place where you can shake free of your history, and really become anything you want to be. And for too long, for black kids growing up, that hasn’t been the case. For too long, young black boys and young black girls have had to go to the movies — and live out someone else’s dream.”

I’ll let Patrick tell the rest but it’s definitely worth the read, even if it is two months late to this website.  It serves as a reminder how different movies, songs, speeches or even athletic performances can mean such different things to different people.

Patrick Patterson should write more often.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

57 Comments for Patrick Patterson shares his powerful opinion on Black Panther

1. Mc12
    11:57 pm May 24, 2018 Permalink

I remember watching The Fresh Prince of BelAir, Martin, and In Living Color a lot in the 90s. We couldn’t afford much but these weren’t on cable. Some of my favorite movies involved black actors, but I can see his point too I guess especially if he’s referring more to super hero movies.

2. Mike Honcho
    8:50 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

The great thing is this movie gives young black boys and girls a hero they can identify with. The smiles this movie and wakanda forever puts on kids faces is out of this world.

3. CatstopWontstop
    9:12 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

For anyone that thinks growing up as a minority in this country offers the same experiences and advantages as growing up white, you’re just not paying attention. It’s easy to say “slavery has been over for 155 years, move on” but while that may be true, equality has still not found roots in American society. The Declaration of Independence opens with powerful words “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…” and yet, we as a nation have yet to realize that dream.

Don’t get me wrong, America is still one of the greatest nations on earth, and being born here regardless of race is better than being born in almost any other place in the world, but that doesn’t mean we don’t still have a long way to go…

• Mathlete
      9:44 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Catstop speaks truth.

If you don’t believe it, read this report from the Manhattan Institute – a conservative non-profit think tank and research firm – about how racial inequality still exists even as minorities are able to move into predominantly white neighborhoods. Here’s the link:

The first key takeaway – “The end of segregation has not caused the end of racial inequality. Only a few decades ago, conventional wisdom held that segregation was the driving force behind socioeconomic inequality. The persistence of inequality, even as segregation has receded, suggests that inequality is a far more complex phenomenon.”

• You Can Call Me Cal
      10:09 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

You do not own this website TPACAT. Matt Jones does. And he can tell anyone be wants, including Mrs TT, that they’re allowed to moderate and erase whatever contents they think are inappropriate. Why? Because they are acting on behalf of the person that owns the website. Not you. You do not own this website. It is as if I came to your house with chalk and starting writing whatever I wanted on the sidewalk. You’d have every right to erase it. That’s all they’re doing. Because this is not a question of free speech and censorship, it’s a question of private property and vandalism. Your offensive comments were graffiti on this website.

• TPACAT
      10:19 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Did you see the (benign) comments that were deleted. Didn’t think so. I find it absolutely amazing that folks are OK with stifling speech that they disagree with. Ironically, most times behind the guise of “free speech”. This world is truly upside down these days…

• Mathlete
      10:50 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

@TPA – you understand “free speech” only means the government can’t tell you what your speech is, right?

• JusSayin
      10:54 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

You have freedom of speech. Businesses have it too. And they don’t have to be a conduit for your views. It may be a bad business decision, but it’s not a violation of anything.

• StoneColdSaidSo
      11:05 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

TPA isn’t saying moderating on the site is illegal. Of course KSR has the right to moderate whatever comments they want. He’s just saying it’s stupid and don’t deserve moderation lol. No one is arguing legalities.

• JusSayin
      11:19 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Yes he did. Scroll down and look. He literally accused them of being thought police, censoring speech and referenced “constitutional rights”. We didn’t all rebuttal his comment for nothing.

• TPACAT
      12:29 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

I never said it was illegal. I basically just said since this was a “comments” section they should allow opposing points of view, even if unpopular, as long as they’re not racially insensitive (which they weren’t). And, as for the “constitutional rights” comment, I was simply saying stifling opposing viewpoints was akin to people protesting against the Second Amendment when, ironically, their very right to do so came at the end of a barrel of a gun…

• StoneColdSaidSo
      11:23 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Ok I didn’t see that. Yeah, KSR isn’t doing anything illegal, as they have the right to censor whomever they want, regardless of how annoying and ironic it is.

• CatstopWontstop
      2:47 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for the insight Mathlete

I’m not sure where the rest of the responses to my post went off the rails, I would have been open to a thoughtfully presented opposing view.

4. ClutchCargo
    9:40 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Not sure where else to put this, but thanks for moderating the dumb comments on here a few minutes ago.

• TPACAT
      9:42 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, thanks for being the thought police and censoring people’s opinions. It’s right up there with protesting to have our constitutional rights away…

• TPACAT
      9:44 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

taken

5. TPACAT
    9:48 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

FYI – There will never be a true dialogue about race if one side or the other isn’t allowed to speak. I can’t believe I even have to type those words. Who’s the “all-knowing/all-seeing” one this morning, anyway?

• blackmilk23
      9:54 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I’ll bite… What’s your opinion?

Did you think Patterson was wrong about something he said?

• TPACAT
      10:09 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

No. I didn’t even weigh in. I just noticed while I was being the grammar police that one sides opinion was being deleted…

• TPACAT
      10:10 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Guess I should make that one “side’s”, LOL!

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:55 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

It’s me, and a large number of the comments on this post were offensive, which is why I deleted them.

• TPACAT
      10:15 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I respectfully disagree, Ms. Tyler. No one who commented said anything racially insensitive. It was just their opinion. Unpopular to some, maybe. But their opinion should be allowed to be heard if you are going to allow the opposing point of view…

• StoneColdSaidSo
      10:39 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

TPACAT – It’s amazing how fleeting of a concept this is to some people. It’s like we’re devolving back to the 30s where saying “tell scarlet I don’t give a damn” in a movie is pushing the freakin limits of the human psyche.
      Tyler – I didn’t read the comments so I can’t say for sure, but any time someone uses the word “offensive” today, one can’t help but to be entirely skeptical.

6. TPACAT
    9:48 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

As you can tell, censorship REALLY pisses me off!

• JusSayin
      10:07 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

A privately held blog deleting comments that violate it standards is not censorship. Lots of blogs and message boards have moderators.

• You Can Call Me Cal
      10:12 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Read my comment above and this will all make a little more sense.

• TPACAT
      10:24 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I read your comment/opinion above. Now read my response.

7. ClutchCargo
    9:57 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Deleting blog comments is not censorship. And people insulting each other online is not dialogue.

• TPACAT
      10:26 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

There was no insulting. Simple difference of opinion…

• BBNDan7
      1:14 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

TPACAT-go take a nap or something

• TPACAT
      2:04 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, let’s all go to sleep and not worry about what’s right and what’s wrong. Maybe if someone basically told you to STFU because your opinion is irrelevant you’d have a different opinion…

• cats646
      5:12 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

BBNdan, STFU because your opinion is irrelevant. There I did it.

8. blackmilk23
    10:00 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I can relate. I love white superheroes of course. My favorite comic characters are still Dr. Manhattan and Batman.

But it was cool when the Blade movies came out when I was kid. It was the first time I had actually seen a black hero on the big screen. It mattered to me I can’t lie.

9. AP
    10:14 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

My comments weren’t offensive, they just didn’t fall in line with liberalistic views. That’s why they were deleted, call a spade a spade. I’ll see myself out

• cats646
      10:33 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Agree AP

• MrPioneer
      10:51 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Hmm. I’m a conservative but I also understand how to be a good human being. It’s not that your views weren’t liberalistic, it’s just that they were ignorant.

10. StoneColdSaidSo
    10:19 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I created an account just to comment on this article. Ignoring the fact that this racist America voted in a black man to lead our country for 8 years (myself included), it’s incredibly naive to say that Black Panther was some sort of first for “black representation” in Hollywood. Spend 2 seconds looking at comments on Black Panther ads on Facebook and you’ll see that instead of being an encouraging figure for blacks in America, people are using it as an excuse to cry racism when someone has a legitimate gripe about the film. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen “this movie wasn’t made for you people” or “quiet, colonizer”.
    I love P-Pat and am not trying to be too cynical, but I also don’t want to be naive. Also, whenever there are white superheros, white folks don’t clamor over it simply because the superhero has white skin. The color of a superhero’s skin SHOULD be the least interesting/important trait unless they’re just a sh**ty superhero.

• blackmilk23
      10:36 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

The article Patterson wrote literally never mentions racism. So you might want to read it.

Additionally, the race of a mainstream superhero probably doesn’t matter to a white person because MOST of the mainstream superheroes are white.

It’s the same reason black people don’t care a whole lot about the race of NBA player. We are used to seeing black NBA stars. But Jeremy Lin mattered a whole lot to Asians during “Linsanity” because there are historically very few Asian basketball stars.

Also “this movie wasn’t made for you” is factually accurate in some cases. I’m not a fan of Steel Magnolias… I’m also not the target demographic. That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate or enjoy it but when giving a critique I should remember that it was made for middles age housewives.

• StoneColdSaidSo
      11:43 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Blackmilk- I’m assuming by this point my reply won’t make it through moderation, which is hilarious, but I want to reply. So I’ll just summarize my offensive comment by saying I didn’t say Patterson’s article mentioned racism, I’m just speaking of the hostile subculture the movie created in general. I mentioned how Linsanity wasn’t a good example because it didn’t have anything to do with his race and everything to do with his rise to stardom from obscurity (I’m not Asian but I was on board the hype train). And finally, I stated that all I really hope for is a time when we can enjoy a movie for reasons other than the amount of melanin in the main character’s skin (which I thought was the literal opposite of racism, but I guess not) and that there have been amazing black characters for decades.

• blackmilk23
      12:36 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

All of us enjoyed Linsanity it his race FOR SURE mattered in the Asian community. He’s not the first person to have a breakout year. Visit New York’s China Town and look at the jersey they have on the walls in the restaurants. Look at the Even Jeremy Lin admitted that himself when interviewed about it. And that’s okay.

You also seemed to be dismissive of racism in America because Obama was elected… but then cited what you yourself said was a “sub-culture” of black people on the internet being rude. So you used the majority of white people to counter an argument about prejudice against black people… but you used a minority of black people to support an argument against for prejudice against white people. And that doesn’t seem consistent to me.

But like you I do look forward when racial firsts aren’t seen as significant. I’m not sure that is today.
      To me Blade was the first but I see why Black Panther counts as the first to other people.

11. JusSayin
    10:51 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Why would white folks clamor over a superhero being white? 4 of the 6 members of the Justice League are white. Of the 12 avengers that qualify as human 9 are white.
    The vast majority of the supporting characters in the Marvel and DC universes are white too. Which is fine but that also means a white stand-alone superhero movie isn’t exactly culturally significant

12. Wade
    10:56 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I was deleted? Wow put it back up and see if it’s insensitive to anybody bc my feelings are hurt my thoughts were just discarded.

• StoneColdSaidSo
      11:14 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

I posted a comment that basically said I just wish people wouldn’t put so much emphasis on the amount of melanin in a character’s skin, which is literally the exact opposite of racism. I wonder how long I’ll be awaiting moderation. What a time to be alive.

• cats646
      11:54 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Liberals don’t care if a comment is racist as long as it supports the minority. They think if you say anything against a person who is black or Mexican for example, then you are are talking about there whole race not just that person. And that thought process in and of itself is racist. They hypocritical and don’t even know it.

13. Toofarfromky
    11:31 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

Not to be rude at all. But….

“As of July 2016, White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to an estimated 12.7% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to an estimated 17.8% of the total U.S. population, making up the largest ethnic minority.[8] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation’s total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%.”

So if simple math were to hold true there would always be a higher percentage of white people in the movies. Either as directors, producers or actors. Same goes for any profession.

• StoneColdSaidSo
      11:36 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

You don’t have to apologize for being rude for stating statistical facts lol. Though on this thread it might not be a bad idea.

• blackmilk23
      12:41 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

So given the stats, that you pointed out… wouldn’t it make sense that people in the lesser represented groups would be more excited to somebody who looks like them in those roles?

Does it not also naturally follow that those in the better-represented groups wouldn’t find it significant if the hero looks like them?

I think that’s what we are seeing right? I don’t see the issue.

• catdaddyd
      2:43 pm May 26, 2018 Permalink

Exactly, we need more white ball players.

• JusSayin
      5:45 pm May 26, 2018 Permalink

catdaddyd You are being sarcastic but anybody who has been on KSR long enough knows that’s what have the commenters mean when they say we need “shooters”. Read between the lines of the Jon Hood, And Tyler Herro comments and you see what people actually mean.

14. Toofarfromky
    11:42 am May 25, 2018 Permalink

To be perfectly honest and just a little random. Denzel Washington is a top 3 actor in my book. James earl Jones has the best voice ever, period no discussion. Morgan Freeman is the man! Idris Elba should be playing James bond sometime soon. Tyra banks …..good lord. They are black. I’m white.

15. TonyMontana
    12:25 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

If everybody could walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes, you would have a totally different perspective on the world.

16. UK_fac_boi
    3:28 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

This movie was awesome!

• cats646
      5:16 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

I still haven’t seen it but I want to. It does look great.

17. davisfeathers
    4:43 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

This entire post is embarrassing and makes me question being a UK fan.

• cats646
      5:17 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

If something a bunch of random people say on a message board makes you question being a UK fan, then maybe your not a UK fan.

• TPACAT
      9:25 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

Sorry if allowing both sides in a debate embarrasses you, davis…

18. davisfeathers
    9:20 pm May 25, 2018 Permalink

You’re* proving my point.