Patric Young and his arms will return to Florida next season

Florida forward Patric Young announced today that he and his arms will return to school for a senior season under Billy Donovan. Young, who can bench press more than you, will pair up with incoming freshman Chris Walker to make a pretty intimidating duo in the Gator front court. Together, those two guys should be enough to keep Florida within 30 points of Kentucky next season.

In related news, if you put your ear up to that photo, you can hear the basketball screaming for its life.

Article written by Drew Franklin

50 Comments for Patric Young and his arms will return to Florida next season

1. mattd
    1:56 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I like Patric Young’s game. He’s a physical player and puts forth a lot of effort. Also, yes he could easily play TE.

2. Typical Reader who needs something to cuss about
    1:57 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

What? This isn’t a Florida website. I want to read about UK sports!

3. BPM
    1:58 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Florida’s ceiling is still another Elite 8 run.

4. Jpo
    1:59 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

2. LOL so true.

5. Vernon Macklin
    2:00 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Cats are so screwed. Just like me, Patric will dominate UK. Oh wait…I forgot all UF big men are soft.

6. Rockfield, KY
    2:00 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Florida will also have Demontre Harris next season. He transferred there this year from South Carolina. He blocks a lot of shots. They’ll have a good front court. I think Dorian Finney-Smith from Va Tech also transferred there this past season.

7. gossie21
    2:00 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

UK may end up playing Florida 3 times next year, it will be hard to go 40-0 for a lot of reasons… but beating that Florida team 3x is at the top of the list.

Kasey Hill, Wilbiken, Frazier, Yuguette, Prather, Walker, and Young is as solid a lineup as you will find next year.

8. Rockfield, KY
    2:01 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Patric Young is a physical specimen, but with all that size, he only averaged 6 rebounds/game this year.

9. SexnNursinHomes
    2:05 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Coach Muschamp taught him good

Coach Msuchamp: Patric I said two hands on the ball as you’re busting thru the line!!!!!!!!!!

10. SoCal Will
    2:05 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

What the heck do Pitino and Donovan tell these kids? What good did it do Boynton to keep coming back? Do Deng and Russdiculous come back as well? If Walker is coachable Florida is going to be very good.

11. backpack
    2:07 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

They won’t pass him the ball on the block, not sure why he would come back. Has to be frustrating as a big to watch 35 threes get launched every game.

12. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    2:09 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

the “who can bench press more than you” line is pretty funny.

Hope Danny Trevathan reads this so he can shake his dreads in disagreement.

13. Eric K
    2:17 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#11 thats because he can’t do anything with it when they throw it in to him! He isn’t any good! GO CATS!!

14. Maxbps8
    2:18 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Agreed #1. Patrick is great and seems to have a great attitude as well. Fla will be formidable next year. They also have 5-star PG Kasey Hill. So our walk in the park is going to cross paths w/ a few bullies.

15. CadizCat
    2:24 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

If he had played for Cal he would already have been in the league a year ago.

16. DougM
    2:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

He’s coming back!

Yet WCS and Dakari will get the best of that matchup.

17. 40-0
    2:40 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Please stop talking about me. If there’s one thing that we can control that will jinx next year’s team it’s the 40-0 nonsense.

18. RICK
    2:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I LIKE THIS KID, HOPE HE IS FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR. AND I HATE THE CARDS

19. Maddman
    2:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

That’s good to hear, he is a good kid. He signed autographs after a game at Rupp area. I think the team didn’t use him enough against Michigan. They put up too many 3 point shots. Walker and Young will be a force in the post as against opponents, except UK this fall. Sure he could have went to the draft and been a late 1st round pick, he differently has NBA build.

20. BS
    2:46 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Just think… If Cal begged his players to come back.

21. mike
    3:10 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

They’ve also got Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith coming in next year.

22. TN Cat
    3:14 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Evan Daniels tweeted that Florida will have the #1 frontcourt in the nation now.

23. Wow
    3:14 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

From si.com in the truth and rumors, I had to copy and paste a little tid bit from why pitino isnt at michigan… To say that I am in disbelief of how the media just called Rick Pitino a good husband is an understatement.

“She said, ‘You know what, that line you’re always using, ‘I’d rather live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb? You’re an ‘F— lamb.’ Then she walked downstairs.” Rick Pitino did what good husbands do. He listened.

24. Catsfan1965
    3:15 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Florida tried to pound it inside at the beginning of the game, but they either turned it over or Young missed the shot. FLA was down 11-0 and then got away from that, but forcing the ball to Patric Young was not going to win that game.

I wish him the best, but Patric Young is one of the numerous examples of players who hurt their chances of an NBA career by staying in college. Since his freshman year, he has gone from a mid-first round pick to a mid-second round pick. When he goes to the NBA after his senior year, he will almost certainly not be getting the guaranteed money he would have gotten if he had left for the NBA after his freshman season. I’m pretty sure that if Young could go back and enter the 2011 NBA Draft he would go in a heartbeat.

25. lol
    3:20 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

23 – Rick Pitino as a “good husband” lmaooo that’s hilarious

26. BBN
    3:31 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Unless Wiggins chooses Kentucky, the team will not finish 40-0 and may not win the SEC as Florida will be a big threat. Further, it seems obvious that the national media is planning to show Jabari Parker a lot of attention next season. If Wiggins signs with UNC, the media will make a huge deal out of the rivalry between Wiggins & Parker along with UNC/Duke all season which will almost completely overshadow Kentucky’s incoming class. The national media would love to have an opportunity to ignore Kentucky if there is another feature interest they can sell. However, if Wiggins chooses Kentucky, the media will jump on the bandwagon 100% and Kentucky will be the story of the entire college basketball season.

27. RealCatsFan
    3:32 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Have to agree with #24 – I can’t see Young conceivably improving his draft stock with the loaded class that will be coming out next year. I guess he thinks he will have a shot at a title or FF, but I have my doubts. Donovan has not been able to crack the FF since he caught lightning in a bottle in 06/07, and Noah is not walking through that door!

28. bosshog
    3:41 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

22, please, that is garbage, as is all the talk about Florida becoming some kind of huge threat because this guy is returning. He is returning because, like Poythress, he has a tremendous body but limited game. But he’s older than Poythress and doesn’t have the same upside. Even as a junior I don’t see this guy being a match for the athleticism and skill set of Randle. Florida will give us some competition, which is a good thing; but they will not be starting lottery picks at every spot.

29. J in Orlando
    3:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

26 Unless Wiggins is going to FL, you statement is full of ignorance.

30. J in Orlando
    3:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

youre*

31. tim
    3:48 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Honestly why is this Guy coming back ??????? 1st round pick if not lottery i dont get it… if he played at Kentucky thats all you would hear……

32. bosshogg24
    3:52 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Boynton is a 4 and done, Patrick Young wants to be a 5 and done so I guess they picked the right school and may end up not getting drafted!

33. Yesterdays
    4:07 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Has anyone ever seen this guy hit a jump shot? What about Chris Walker? Yes, Florida will be very good next year but we should handle them with superior guards. Anyone who thinks Wilbekin can guard any of our perimeter people next year is insane. Havent seen Kasey Hill play, but Florida wont have enough scorers to beat us next year. Chris Walker will only get two points if he dunks it next year, the same Wiggins and Randle will get.

34. J
    4:22 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

If anybody thinks Kentucky will go 40-0 your a moron! Florida will be stacked, can you imagine if Michigans whole team comes back and louisvilles whole team comes back. Not to mention mich st is returning everybody! Duke will be strong again also. College basketball will be ALOT stronger next year than it is this year. Yes we will be super talented but to go ahead and say Kentucky might as well have the championship handed to em is about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

35. Dan
    4:29 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#34 … yes “your” a moron.

36. J
    4:34 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Ohh sorry Dan for the auto correct on my phone. You are probably one of the delusional fans I’m talking about

37. Catsfan1965
    4:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#31 – I assume you are joking, but the reason Young is coming back is because he would be a mid-2nd rd pick if he entered the draft this year.

I’m not sure why so many people are hyping FLA next year. Don’t get me wrong they will mostly likely be good next year, but they lose their 3 leading scorers and does anyone really believe that a starting lineup of Wilbekin, Hill, Frazier/Prather/Yeguette, Walker, and Young will really be comparable to UK next year? Losing Murphy is a big loss for them as Frazier will be there only really accurate 3-pt. shooter with Rosario and Murphy graduating.

38. BobKYCats
    4:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t really care so much about going 40-0 as I do putting another banner up.

39. Jughead
    4:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Your girlfriends and wives all got a little tingly when looking at this picture.

40. Catsfan1965
    5:03 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#34 – Louisville will not have everyone coming back as they lose Siva to graduation and will have to replace him with a 4-star JUCO transfer and/or a low 4-star redshirt freshman. Without any quality freshman coming in UL will not be as good next year just because of the loss of Siva. I also think Dieng will leave as he is guaranteed to be a 1st rounder and next years draft will be stacked. If that happens, then UL is nowhere near the same team.

Trey Burke is a top-10 pick and will no doubt enter the draft. With Glen Robinson III a possible lottery pick and McGary and Hardaway, Jr. possible 1st rounders, it seems likely that Michigan loses at least 2 of their starters to the NBA and they do not have any quality recruits coming in. Don’t get me wrong, Michigan will be very good next year, but it seems to me a fantasy that they will be anywhere near the team they are this year if they just lose Burke much less 1 or two others.

One of Michigan State’s key players, Derrick Nix will graduate and the guys they have to replace him, Gauna and Costello are nowhere close to him in ability. Plus, they have no recruits coming in this year.

Duke will lose Plumlee, Curry and Kelly and will have only 1 player over 6’8″ and that is Marshall Plumlee who was a low 4-star recruit and was so bad this year he played a total of 49 minutes. Coach K has already admitted they are going have to find some big guys off the scrap heap. Duke will be more athletic on the perimeter but they will be a worse shooting team and much smaller. Yes they will have Jabari Parker, but I don’t think he makes up for what they have lost.

See #37 for why Florida will not be as good next year.

It’s kind of funny that you claimed that “college basketball will be ALOT stronger next year”, but every team you mentioned will likely not be as good next year.

41. enquiring minds
    5:30 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

MOST DISAPPOINTING/LETDOWN IN NCAA TOURNEY!!!!
    PERIOD………. DOT!!!!!!!!!!

42. tim
    7:29 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#37 you dont get the point. i said if he was at KENTUCKY it would be played up as a lottery pick. he has everything to go pro….its a weak draft this year. but next year, YES… late 1st maybe 2nd…

43. gog8ors
    8:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

My sources tell me that Wiggins is going to Florida. Also one of UK’s recruits is planning to decommit and is going to Florida…I know which one but my sources have asked me not to say anything yet. I think next season suddenly looks alot better for Florida than it does for UK.

44. dan
    8:16 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

you’re sources are morons- wait a minute, I mean “your” sources. My sources say he’s coming to UK.

45. gog8ors
    8:18 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Like it or not I am always right about these things…believe what you like but I am right about this.

46. gog8ors
    8:18 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Also Hill and Walker will be the two best freshmen in the country next year

47. J
    8:19 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

43- Dan’s right- your a moron

48. seriously?
    8:22 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

45- I don’t like it- and I seriously, seriously doubt that you are always right

49. tuxedo park
    9:19 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

i don’t think that’s the real gog8ers but historically the guy is ALWAYS wrong. His sources might as well be braindead.

50. scott
    12:26 am April 9, 2013 Permalink

I am a Florida fan- but, I realize that (as with all teams) it will take time to figure out where to play all of their new players (two talented transfers and two five star freshmen) in combination with their five returners. Yes, Florida loses three scorers- but, they were only scorers because they took a lot of shots- particularly Rosario and Boynton. Murphy will be missed- but, he was a poor post up player inside and good teams could take advantage of his one dimensional nature and lack of athleticism. Moreover, he did not make big shots in clutch moments (actually the opposite). So, I am anxious to see what these new guys can all add to the team and anxious to move beyond a team that always seemed to play their worst in the crunch time.

As to Kentucky going 40-0- come on guys. Just as we (Florida) had great fortune with our 04 recruiting- going on to win back to back championships- you had great luck two years ago. But, this is the exception- not the rule. Usually, teams do not put a bunch of Freshman on the floor and win championships. Michigan almost did it twice- and Kentucky did it two years ago- but, it typically does not happen. I am just trying to be real- many of your players may not work out (like last year)- you just simply do not know until they get out their and play together. See you in the Fall!