Pat Forde calls out Shabazz for his… backpack?

Pat Forde was in the McKale Center last night for unranked UCLA’s win over No. 6 Arizona, so you can imagine all the great things he had to write about the upset win.  Like, Shabazz Muhammad.  And Shabazz Muhammad’s backpack.

Forde led off his report from the game, as only Pat Forde can, by calling Shabazz out for wearing a Gucci backpack when he left the arena.  Forde noted that other players were wearing UCLA gear, while Muhammad toted the designer bag after the game.  Forde then went to Gucci.com to price the bags and found that the cheapest one available was $999.99.

Great work, Pat.

I agree it wasn’t the smartest move on Shabazz’s part to wear Gucci after a game when he just got off the hook from the NCAA, but should that really be the storyline?  Maybe it’s fake.  Maybe it was a Christmas gift from his parents, or his 9-year NFL veteran uncle, or his sister who is a professional tennis player.  Who cares?  It’s a backpack.

And telling us about it is sooooo Pat Forde.

With Gucci backpack, Shabazz Muhammad scores style points to keep UCLA on fast track

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Pat Forde calls out Shabazz for his… backpack?

1. bigbluebear
    11:46 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

SHHHHH!!!!! Let’s just be happy his investigative journalism is on another team for once! haha

2. Big Blue Fan
    11:48 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

If this was an UK player Tipton would be all over it

3. yeah
    11:50 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

Exactly Drew and you just posted it again! SMH. Shabazz is a bad MF’R

4. emlang08
    11:51 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

This is as old as news gets!! If Forde would follow him on instagram, he would notice that not only is every shot he posts about him, or of him, self portrait style. Every pic he posts there is Gucci, watches, Cadillac, etc….. For what it is worth, he seems more about himself than Austin Rivers was!

5. yeah
    11:51 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

or you can buy same bag NYC for $30. Is the bag real or not?

6. Big Blue 66
    11:52 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

I think someone should point it out….however, they should digg deeper before they spout off about it. If someone saw a UK guy with that, it would be all over, so why not someone else….but as I already stated, there needs to be more info that just flipping it out there with no real substance.

7. cracka
    11:54 am January 25, 2013 Permalink

at least it was some dbag espn reporter and not the local tipton trying to run down it’s own program with allegations

8. Pete Thamel
    12:01 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I think T’eo told me he once bought that same backpack for his girlfriend. I guess I should have asked to see the reciept.

9. ShagariObrzut
    12:07 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

So you made a post just to tell us how stupid it was that he reported on it? You’re right, it’s not news, which is why you should have never made this post.

10. Steven
    12:12 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t this the same thing when you see athletes walking around campuses with these $300 beats headphones, new jewelry, hats, etc? I know people may argue that student athletes deserve to get paid but if you look at the lifestyle they get to live while in college (nice place to live, free food, clothes, transportation, and entertainment) how much more do they need? Mind you the typical college student who works a job and attends classes has to survive on meal plans and Ramen noodles.

11. big mac
    12:22 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Shades of Jerry Tipton writing about Patrick Patterson’s new truck that his parents bought for him for graduating early….I’m still waiting to see a correction on that one. In fact that is when I quit getting the Herald MisLeader

12. dave
    12:24 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

13. Carl
    12:25 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I wish forde and his ilk would show the same level of integrity they expect out of 18 and 19 year old kids. The sports writer profession has less ethics than a street walker.

14. bmwuk
    12:45 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Gucci items for men are generally geared towards the man leading an “alternative” lifestyle. But hey, if his boyfriend likes it, by all means.

And yes, it could’ve been a gift. Forde’s wife is just pissed she didn’t get the Fendi bag she wanted.

15. wkylawcat
    12:52 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Ha. I saw Asia Mohammad (Shabazz’s sister) calling Forde out on Twitter. She claims it was a birthday or Christmas gift from her and his mom. She congratulated Forde on being some kind of famous writer though. If “you got served” is still in the lingo then I guess he “got served”.

16. Jack Nicklaus
    12:59 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Forde is such a low-life. He, Tipton and Thamel should all go visit a deserted island and forget to tie up their boat. Seriously, I think they all have a mental issue that allows them to believe they are providing meaningful info. They may all be zombies.

17. James K
    1:00 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Has he never heard of a credit card? A lot of these kids get credit cards because they know that they’re going to be millionaires. John Wall constantly was wearing super expensive Nike clothes while he was at UK, and I’m sure that’s how he got it.

Also, outlet stores. I’ve bought my wife some things that I would NEVER be able to buy because I found a steal at an outlet store. I hate Pat Forde.

18. go blue
    1:24 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Of course he should’ve pointed it out. He would’ve pointed it out had he been a UK player.

19. It’s not a purse! It’s European!

20. UKAndrew
    1:42 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

When did it become ok for the media to insinuate NCAA violations rather then report actual NCAA violations?

21. Uk
    2:14 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Pretty sad life to report on how a teenager got a backpack… Who cares!?!?

22. Since When
    2:31 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Since when was it a crime for a college athlete to have wealthy relatives?

23. Since When
    2:34 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Since when did pointing out things in plain sight become “journalism”? All of that special access to the things behind the scenes that the general public requires of “journalist” to keep them informed on the things that are supposed to be the “truth”, and we get some douchebag pointing out something that any human being with better than 20/100 vision would notice?

Thanks Pat.

24. JBCat
    7:02 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

#10–
    What you said again.

These guys get A LOT of extra stuff that the regular student does not get. Understand that their day-to-day routine is tough, and they help bring in big $. However, to see how they are ‘revered’ on campus, and especially the social scene can really open one’s eyes.