For those of you who wanted to finally witness a Triple Crown, my condolences on your loss. For those of you who are still sobering up from the Derby and have no idea that the Preakness went down today, *high five*. The Commonwealth’s very own Orb could not capitalize on step 2 of the Triple Crown path. Calumet Farm’s Oxbow crossed the finish line in first place today at the Preakness, stomping out everyone’s hope for a Triple Crown run. After studying the tape (read: I did not watch a second of the race), it was clear that Derby-winning Orb succumbed to the pressure of the racing world watching with hope. Or something like that.
Oxbow is the first Calumet Farm Preakness winner since 1968, when Forward Pass won. D. Wayne Lukas (trainer) won his 6th Preakness and his 15th Triple Crown race, the most in history. Also, the guy has a sense of humor: ‘‘I get paid to spoil dreams. Unfortunately we go over here and you can’t mail ‘em in. It’s a different surface and a different time. You gotta line ‘em up and win ‘em.” Oxbow impressively led wire-to-wire and went off at 15-1. In contract. In contract, Orb started off on the rail in the No. 1 position and could not overcome.
In other news:
– Some Wildcat ladies had a great day – the UK softball team won their 40th game of the season today against Virginia Tech. This record-tying win came thanks to freshman pitcher Kelsey Nunley’s one-hitter. The UK squad now advances to the Regional final, taking place Sunday in Lexington. The No. 12 ranked Hittin’ Kittens are still kicking.
– One young future-Cat received quite an honor. Today was officially deemed Dominique Hawkins day in Richmond. Don’t believe me? Just ask the mayor! (Keep scrolling for more.)
– Photos from the set of Will Ferrel’s upcoming cult sequel have been leaking out. These pics have shown that a Wildcat/Calipari favorite will be in the film – Drake will in Anchorman 2. He was spotted on set with a huge afro as part of his get-up.
– The UK baseball team beat Missouri today 5-1, avoiding a sweep. The boys will open the SEC Tournament on Tuesday as the No. 11 seed at 10:30 a.m. ET vs. No. 6 seeded Ole Miss.
– The NBA playoffs continued tonight with the New York Knicks vs. the Indiana Pacers, including former … wait, what? There were no former Wildcats in tonight’s NBA action? That’s rare these days. Don’t get used to it.
– Speaking of the NBA, former poster-child for domestic advice (and Pacer) Lance Stephenson put a clinic on as he destroyed the Knicks down the stretch. Mind. Blown.
– I am still in disbelief about our flat top feller’s injury, but there is a night at the end of the tunnel. Nerlens Noel plans to return by Christmas. Yes, that may be after the NBA season starts. But hopefully it leads to a longer career.
– the tonight’s KSR Waddy Werewolf campout has been cancelled. No worry – Matt and the gang shall reschedule because this great state does not deserve the torture of such a beast.
Enjoy your Saturday night, folks. Stuart Hammer will be in bright and early to the office tomorrow, and I’ll return in the afternoon to give you a ride home from Sunday Funday. See you then.