Oscar Combs can’t go along with Louisville Hate Day

Oscar won’t hate on the Cards but we love him anyway. Here’s what he thinks about KSR’s favorite holiday…

Sometimes, it’s very hard to say “no” to Matt Jones. He asked me as a special favor a couple days ago to write a piece for Thursday’s edition of KSR blog. I respectfully declined, saying I just wasn’t in the mood but promised to write a piece late in winter. Then I sat down and began reading a little Twitter. Well, if you know me, it got me thinking. Here is what followed.

Matt seems to be a nice enough guy – except when he’s on radio or television or has a pen in his hand. Then, he loses it. I mean, really loses it. He hates Louisville. And then he hates Louisville some more. And then he hates Louisville even more than that. Etc, etc, etc. Then, he hates Rick Pitino. And he hates Pitino some more. And then some. For gosh sakes, Matt, the guy saved the Kentucky program back in 1989, don’t you realize the program wouldn’t even be here had little Ricky (he doesn’t like to be called little Ricky by the way) turned UK’s invitation down to become BBN’s coach?

I know, Ricky committed treason and went to UL about a decade or so ago. But hey, he did UK another favor with that move. He put Louisville in such a situation that the Cards have rarely been a challenge to BBN for much of last ten years. And then Ricky had all those personal problems from people right in his own office. You talk about a coach having distractions. Well, enough of that.

Matt, we understand your logic about Pitino. He makes those casual remarks about the very UK fans who used to worship him. He probably still thinks eastern Kentucky is actually western Virginia.

Matt, I know you say you won’t have a problem with UL once Pitino is gone. But watch what you wish for, you just might get it. What if the new coach is the next coming of a John Calipari or next coming of a Bill Self. Huh? Shouldn’t you leave well-enough alone?

So, if Pitino stays another ten years, wouldn’t that be great? Remember the kind words Uncle Adolph would often use to other schools who were about to fire their coach. Coach Rupp would have gently said of Pitino, “He’s done a mighty fine job down there at that other school. I think he’s doing a very good job so long as he continues coaching as he has the past few years. It’s pretty hard to find coaches like Coach Pitino these days.”

Matt doesn’t stop the trash-talk, even though UK has been pounding the UL basketball program for most of the past 6-7 years; he’s got to set his sights on Charlie Strong and the football Cards.

Kentucky is dominating UL football like never before. Four straight wins. Last two times at Big Slice, Card fans were vomiting before the game ended and it wasn’t from the smell of pizza sauce. Still, our boy Matt isn’t satisfied. He’s come up with this silly idea that all BBN hates Louisville as bad as he does. Matt’s created this “Louisville Hate Day” salute. Came up with the idea a year or so ago, I think.

His juices get flowing like the runaway Ohio after spring floods when you mention Louisville Hate Day to him. Really fires him up. Don’t get it, but he does. Isn’t this really silly. Think about this. Why, just why, would anyone hate their little brother? I mean, did you hate your little brother? Heck, I never even hated my little sister, not for a single minute of my life. And you know how annoying little sisters can be.

This man, Jones, well, he must have had a really sad childhood. But I know that’s far from the truth. Matt grew up in a really nice family, in the lovely hills of Middlesboro. He wasn’t without love because his family really loved him and he loves his family. Good folk there. I know for a fact. But you know there’s got to be a reason somewhere why a guy goes this way.

Early on, Matt did himself good. Went to Transylvania and got a degree. Somewhere walking down that graduation aisle his brain was attacked by some sort of lightning. He decided to attend Duke law school. Really. Can’t think of a more desperate decision in a young man’s life than to enroll at Duke.

So, there you have it. All those Matt Jones haters out there. The disease overtook him. So after he gets all those academic honors, he makes another intelligent decision. He decided to become a lawyer (yeah, a profession that ranks right up there with used car salesmen, Ponzi scheme promoters, bankers and insurance peddlers) and heads straight to City of Louisville where he figures he can scheme just about any poor sucker on the street for a dollar or two. (okay, there’s my one shot at the city)

Somewhere during his first six or seven years in the ‘Ville, he stopped by a fried chicken shack and with one bite of a greasy, KFC chicken leg, all his natural-born senses return in the flash of eye. Red again became red to the extent that Kentucky Sports Radio was born.

Once again, along came Jones – awakened to the good (UK), the bad (UL) and the ugly (anyone wearing red, okay I’ll say it – Pitino, Tommy Turtleneck or Strong or maybe other Coach K). To the shock of an entire state, a media empire began emerging that isn’t afraid to attack those of Matt’s own profession. Unlike his previous profession where lawyers defend lawyers, Jones goes on the attack of the mainstream media. A firestorm erupts unlike anything witnessed in the state. Traditional media shuns him. Fans love him and newspaper circulation continues it nosedive in Louisville & Lexington.

Now I have no problem with Jones’ new age approach of calling out other members of the media when they obviously have an agenda to preach against UK or anyone else for that matter. He routinely identifies the double standards exercised by some. But I do have a BIG problem with this “Louisville Hate Day.” I really do. Let me restate that, I have a BIG problem with “Louisville Hate Day.” Here’s why…

When I was a little boy growing up in Eastern Kentucky, my mom & dad ran a little grocery store and restaurant. Neither business had refrigeration in early 1950s so we had only an ice-box for fresh meat. The only meat company to deliver was located in LOUISVILLE. They delivered meat to us once a week. Had those folks known I would grow up to hate Louisvlle, there’s no telling what those big slabs of beef & pork would have contained. And then Louisville gave us Ralph Beard, Bill Glaser, Keenan Burton, Winston Bennett, Corey Peters, Greg Nord and a whole slew of other UK athletes. Can’t forget Louisville’s many contributions over the decades.

So Matt, I just can’t go along with this “Louisville Hate Day” you talk about so much. I love Louisville and Freedom Hall (gave us ’58 NCAA champs), the Ky. State Fair, and even Terry Meiners). And I’ll always be indebted to the BlowTorch of the South – WHAS Radio 840. They helped in the sucess I enjoyed for so long.

Sorry, Matt, just can’t do it.

But if you will just change the wording just a little bit, then I might be game.

Make it “Louisville Cardinal Hate Day.”

Now, there’s something most everyone can bite into. But keep a toothpick handy because you may get a lot of feathers stuck between your two front teeth.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Oscar Combs can’t go along with Louisville Hate Day

1. BBN
    6:25 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Rick is an abortionist. That’s what I’ll remember about him.

He died for me when he stood in front of the UL logo.

2. TheBurghCat
    6:35 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Absolutely fabulous post Drew! Loved reading it. This is the kind of stuff that makes KSR great!

3. ukfan
    6:38 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

smh, old people…

4. catty
    6:39 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

This was an awesome piece!

It blows my mind that all the Catholic/UL fan base still adore him. (yes, I am Catholic)If it had been Calipari, they would have thrown the first stones.

5. Ronald D.
    6:42 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Semantics

6. Salem Cat
    6:43 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

How did u get Karl Rove to were a UK hat?

7. GoCats2010
    6:46 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Oscar is the man! I love that we can have such differing views on the same topics, but we are all Blue and White.

Viva La Oscar

8. mores
    6:50 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Well that was dumb.

Go to hell, Louisville.

9. UKGoBigBlue
    6:59 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Oscar has the point about Pitino; let Pitino stay at UL forever. Pitino punishment for leaving UK was a disaster with the Celtics, having to came back tail between his legs to coach UL, he hasn’t owned a decent horse since he left UK, and then his 15 seconds with Karen.

10. brady
    7:01 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

I hate Louisville, too many people don’t get it, we are in-state rivals. Go to hell, Loisville!

11. The Blue Goose
    7:03 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Wow…Oscar’s still got it.

12. Chuck Hayes jockstrap
    7:05 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Good lord, can we get cliff notes or something?

13. Juan4UK
    7:12 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

this was not the best piece of work. bummer

14. Cotton Nash
    7:15 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Drew Franklin for President!!!!

15. UKTim
    7:30 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

It’s not the ‘Louisville’ part I take issue with, it’s the ‘hate’. Rivalries are magnificent things. They inspire wildly passionate fan bases, they make competitions meaningful and riveting, and they’re incredibly fun. But rivalry does not necessitate hatred. Hatred is a poison, a cancer to things that are otherwise wonderful and productive. I understand the word’s colloquial value. I don’t think twice about saying “I hate mustard”. But that’s because mustard is a food item. Do I truly hate mustard? No, I just don’t care for the taste. But my statement, while hyperbole, has no effect on anything or anyone but me (and possibly the mustard industry, not that I care). But “Louisville Hate Day”, whether targeting a city or merely its teams, is something else entirely. It encourages the hatred of a group of people, not to mention their ideals, which, not for nothing, are fundamentally identical to ours: Beat that major team we live near.

A person walking into a game from the parking lot may turn to his friend and say, “Ugh, I hate Louisville.” This is much like the mustard statement in that it is isolated, while also being nonspecific. But creating an entire day, an entire MOVEMENT, based upon encouraging the hatred of a rival, warrants pause, and hopefully regret. Invoking the argument of “It’s just a word, and it’s convenient” is disingenuous and erroneous in this situation. Your lack of creativity is a poor excuse. It’s the same reason putting a Hitler mustache and a swastika armband on a picture of Obama for a billboard is wrong. It is a convenient way to make a point, but it is incorrect, makes no actual reasonable argument, and only serves to instigate further ignorance.

Maybe that’s what Oscar meant to say.

Or maybe it’s just me.

16. Poco Chang
    7:40 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

16, Pretty sure it’s just you. This is sports, and Louisville is the mustard.

17. number1cats
    7:44 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Lighten up Francis!

18. test
    7:52 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

test

19. barn
    8:03 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

O is The Man. he may not hate on ul like some of us but he knows hate. just get him to talk about dook. i heard him on a pregame last year, and he said he doesn’t “dislike dook”, “i hate dook”. yeah, baby.gbb

20. Mark
    8:06 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

The Big O lightning struck Matt Jones brain to enroll at hated Duke I love it. I hope Jurich signs Pitino for another 5 years.

21. GoBlue
    8:34 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Well done Oscar, well done sir

22. BigBlueSkyDog
    9:01 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Fiftino, Tommy Turtleneck and their sycophantic stenographers in the Louisville media are gifts that keep giving. Especially given the fact of their immense egos and Lilliputian results. Now their reduced to celebrating the signing of a basketball player who’s not even in the top 100. Denny Crum must be sighing and shaking his head.

23. Andre Riddick's Love-child
    9:34 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Love me some Oscar Combs

24. john4uk
    10:53 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

I believe Oscar in his old age got confused .It’d not hate the city of Louisville and it’s citizens,but the University and it’s athletic programs most notably basketball and football that UK fans have come to loath.

25. brandon
    11:13 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Great post!! Really enjoy the different perspectives from generations of UK fans! Hope Oscar posts again in the winter! GO BLUE and “Get your toothpicks ready!!”

26. Steve Fitts
    11:20 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

I’m with Oscar! You can’t hate on the city of Louisville–not now that they are going through Shermageddon. You can’t even hate on the University of Louisville–their doctors are about the only ones in the city that treat the indigent, their law school gave us Justice Brandeis, and their social work school has the nation’s first oncological social work program to help cancer patients and their families cope with illness. Nothing to hate on there! Now if you want to hate on the Louisville Cardinal athletic teams–that’s fine! But you can’t hate on the city, and you can’t hate on the university! I’m with Oscar–make it “Louisville CARDINAL Hate Day”–to make it clear that you’re not hating on the city or on the university!

27. Oliver Simmons
    11:43 pm September 15, 2011 Permalink

Excellent post. Well done Oscar. Well done.

28. ukchampion
    12:20 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Oscar.. and #15 and #26 and the hate day haters….. i think you’re taking it too seriously – we (hate day supporters) know it’s entirely over the top, and just ridiculous. that is the point and what makes it great and what makes ksr great.

Plus.. there is just endless material in the card fan base and organization, it takes a whole day to do justice to how bad Louisville blows

29. Pookie Jones
    7:32 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Well done Mr. Combs

30. That hat is…just…too…suh-WEEEEEEEEEET!!! LOVE the retro K logo!!!

31. HuntsVegas
    11:25 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t have time to “Hate” anyone. Besides my granny was a UofL fan…..and my dad graduated from there. But they raised me right. so sue me.

32. Arms of Delk Legs of McCarty
    12:46 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

Loved this. Oscar is the best.

33. ukclassof93
    1:25 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

Way to go Big O!!! You sir, are a Kentucky classic!!