A reader who composed this list for another website sent it to me as his summary of UK’s football recruiting targets for the last few weeks before signing day. The commentary is his, not ours, but the information is generally solid. Rob will weigh in a bit later, but this isnt a bad cheat sheet going into the final few weeks:
1. DeQuin Evans (DE)– still being pursued HARD by UK. Visiting Oregon this week, followed by Arizona St and Louisville. This guy is my first or second most coveted guy on the list. I’m just not sold on UK’s depth at DE in the least bit. If we were in the Big East, maybe. But we’re not.
2. Chris Matthews (WR)– certainly not acting like a guy that is commited to UK. He is visiting Oregon this weekend along with UL in 2 weeks. He’s the “star” skill player in this current class for the Cats. Can Ortmeyer close the deal?
3. Terrell Mitchell (TE/DE)– UK came oh so close to getting a commit from him on his visit. He’s the perfect TE candidate for Joker’s vertical offense due to his combination of speed, size, and catching ability. Visiting Clemson this weekend followed by GA.
4. Pat Miller (CB)- A position that UK desperately needs to address in this class is CB. Miller might be the most explosive cover guy that UK has a shot at. As of today, UK is his leader. However, David Lockwood and WVU are trying their best to back door us on this kid. Look out for a late visit to Miss State as well.
5. Gene Robinson (CB)- He is the other big time DB that UK is still in with. He is visiting BAMA this week followed by UNC and then UK. The kid is obviously a baller with those kinds of offers. He’s also a 4.0 student. Would be a GREAT get.
6. Deuce Fince (RB)- Although the “Deuce” has an issue due to his lack of speed, UK is beyond desperate for a warm body at runningback. If UK had 2 or 3 Raffy Little-types on the current roster, I’d be all for adding a guy like Finch. But we don’t. He’s basically down to Ill, BC, and UK. He or any other rb that signs with UK will be forced to play significant snaps as a true frosh at UK.
7. Tim Simon (RB/LB)- this is a guy that Steve Brown thought he could get out of Alabama several months ago until Houston Nutt came in and secured a commit from him. He wants to play rb in college and Ole Miss has several big time rb commits since Simon commited. He is worried that Ole Miss might move him to defense. He is visiting Clemson this weekend and UK in 2 weeks.
8. Derrick Webb (LB)- Gene Robinson’s teammate. Not any big time offers. UK may offer him in the end simply to lure Robinson.
9. Ryan Mosby (LB)- former Iowa State commit. Decommited after Chizek left. His only other offer is UNLV. He’s a LB that is 190lbs and runs a 4.6 or so. He’s visiting Jan 16. Not super high on him, but who knows?
10. Donald Russell (RB)- rb out of Florida that nobody has heard from in a month. Some would say a better looking rb than Finch. His last interview he said that UK and Rutgers were his leader and he planned to visit both in Jan.
11. Greg Reid (RB/WR)- complete Pipedream, but what the hell? Supposedly Joker is close to getting him to take a visit to UK. Not a chance in France most likely.