One last round of discussion from Saturday’s Win

(Photo via KYForward)

I was at a wedding Saturday afternoon so I just watched the football game for the first time. Allow me to go over a few more notes from the game before we start focusing on Louisville tomorrow. Thank you.

——————————

The turnout was pathetic.

Only 58,022 people showed up for the game, making it the lowest home opener turnout since 2006 when just over 53,000 showed up for the game against Louisiana-Monroe. The crowd was a huge disappointment considering it was a gorgeous day in Lexington and UK was giving out two free tickets to any army, fire, police, and paramedic personnel. The 58,022 who did show up need to be a little more supportive as well. Many of them hit the exits pretty early once Kentucky took a two touchdown lead.

#TeamJennifer

Boogie was among the 58,022 in Commonwealth Stadium.

He loves the troops.

This team has to get off to a better start against Louisville.

The first half was UGLY for Kentucky for the second week in a row. Things were much better in the second half but the team can’t continue to fall in a hole early and have to try to climb its way out. I don’t know if it’s a lack of intensity, early season jitters, or what; but someone needs to a light a fire under the Cats early against Louisville to avoid another slow start. A 7-point deficit at halftime against a MAC school at home is inexcusable.

Matt Roark is not a fan favorite.

I really, really, really want Roark to be good but I’m afraid the young man is out of opportunities. The dropped pass in the end zone likely sealed his fate on the pine. We can still love him on special teams, though; Roark is going to block at least two kicks this season. Bank on it.

The secondary worries me.

Guys are still getting beat in the secondary. We saw it happen entirely too many times against Western (Jakes overthrew all of them) and it was happening again against CMU. Kentucky will get killed if guys keep getting lost and beat deep once conference play comes around. Anthony Mosley really needs to step it up next week.

Danny Trevathan and Winston Guy are studs.

Trevathan and Guy rank No. 1 and No. 2 in tackling in the SEC. Guy would have even more if he’d do a better job of wrapping the ball carrier up on tackles. These two are all over the field and seem to be involved in every play for the defense. They’ll be playing on Sundays next year.

Run, run, run, and run some more.

I still say Kentucky’s offensive line will be great once guys get back from injury. They looked better Saturday and once they really get rolling, look for the run game to take off right behind them. Josh Clemons is already showing us what he can do and the competition at running back is only going to make Raymond Sanders better.  Sanders looked like a different player on the series following Clemons’ big touchdown run. Not to mention, Newton can take off with it as well. If those three can find success on the ground, it’ll set up the play action for Newton to throw that deep ball Joker Phillips’ praises. Just catch it when it gets there, LaRod.

#FreeAaronBoyd

Boyd played well on Saturday and he’ll see more playing time against Louisville. The movement continues. #FreeAaronBoyd

CMU’s call to go for it on fourth down is the dumbest move of college football this season.

What was going through Dan Enos’ mind on that fourth down call with four minutes to go in the third quarter? You HAVE to kick the ball there. Kentucky’s offense hadn’t done anything at that point in the game, so why would you give it to them on the 34-yard line where they could get some momentum? It was the turning point of the game and maybe even in Kentucky’s season. Dan, we appreciate your stupidity.

——————————

Louisville time.

Article written by Drew Franklin

52 Comments for One last round of discussion from Saturday’s Win

1. tdogg4033011
    9:12 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

time to spank that Loserville ass now !!!

2. Dwayne
    9:14 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

The use of the ribbon boards was a huge disappointment! How about continuous updates of other games and not advertisements the whole time??? SERIOUSLY?!?! The video screen was nice but by the time they put Verizon and McDonalds on 1/4 of the screen it was pretty close to the same size as the old one. Looks like a lot of money spent to do advertising…

3. Jpat14
    9:18 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Attending games as a fan can get expensive. As a KY fan if I am going to pay money to see the team play I want it to be exciting. I don’t attend Lady Gaga performances because they just aren’t entertaining to me (She also scares me). Ky football games are just not that exciting. Many of the other SEC teams are playing opponents that are worth seeing. KY should play a Boise St. or a Michigan every once in a while. If we ever want to have exciting home games than we need to stop playing mid-majors. Also, Ky is just a boring and predictable team to watch. As much as I hate to say it, Kentucky football isn’t that attractive to fans, and the program doesn’t do a whole lot on the field to help change that mind-set. We need to take chances as a program on the field and not settle for mediocrity. Our program settles and so do our fans.

4. bus puppies
    9:20 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Were you at the game?

5. joe
    9:21 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

The cats need to play a lot better to be an SEC caliber team. Tell Jennifer to learn to run block.

6. Shane
    9:21 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Sink some money into the program then people will come.We have inferior athletes, inferior facilities, and inferior coaches compared to the rest of the SEC.Make strides to get better and more people will come…. The pathetic WKU performance did not help.

7. JBR
    9:22 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

I have often been disappointed in the football fanbase in the past…but honestly, if the adminstration wants SEC level fans, they need to get an SEC level product. Joker is going backwards, not forwards, with this program. As #3 said, it is expensive…I have had sideline season tix for years, and for the first time in a long while, I am seriously considering not renewing next year…there is absolutely no excitement around this program, and I do not see this group changing that.

8. Ben
    9:23 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

My son and I stayed for the whole game and you are right it was a beautiful day! We got a real treat after the game my 11 year old son saw Anthony Davis and got his autograph on his KY hat. It was the highlight of our day. We parked over by Joe B’s and walked across campus, he plans on attending KY for college. Joker and this team needs time and support to make this season a success!

9. SagaciousMind
    9:24 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Matt Roark definitely needs to stay on the bench. Even as a senior he still cant catch the ball and that is just unacceptable. He seems like a good kid, but he just never acceled like he should have. As for Guy, dude needs to remember the basic fundamentals of tackling. I mean isnt catching the ball and tackling both fundamentals? If you cant, then you dont need to be in the SEC. Maybe that’s why all these young guys are getting looks, and looking pretty good too. Definitely have some future studs.

10. Jon Jacobs
    9:24 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

It wasn’t just the decision to go for it on fourth down but also the play call. I don’t understand why you would hand the ball off 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need 6 inches. If they had run a QB sneak and fallen forward a foot, it woulda been a whole different story. Also, can we talk about the missed tackle by Winston Guy on third down that kept their touchdown drive alive. I have never been so angry.

11. JBR
    9:30 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

And everyone talking about W Guy…credit Minter for getting what we can out of him. I have watched Guy closely, and he is perhaps one of the lowest football IQ guys ever to step on the field…but he has tremendous athletic ability and tools. Minter has put him in a position that does two things…first, he just goes and gets the football, no rocket science, no confusion, just go get it. Simple. Second, by moving closer to the line of scrimmage, it keeps him from having to make a decision on angles to take, and has more help with those tackles, thus minimizing his opportunities to screw up.

12. This guy
    9:32 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Agree about new scoreboard and ribbon boards…. They werent utilized for fan experience. They were utilized to remind me I only have coke products to choose from. I’m all for paying the bills but if that is all the money was for they should have just saved money and hung banner advertisements. Also, I don’t know if anyone was at the game but the cmu coach was pissed after they spotted the ball short by inches. I think he let his emotion get the best of him on that fourth down

13. Beetle bum
    9:37 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Roark’s play on kickoff coverage tells me he should have been moved to defense, but that opportunity has passed.

14. CAT FAN
    9:40 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

I just fell outta my chair laughing. FANS do want this team to COMPETE in the SEC.. but a fan can NOT catch the ball, defend a receiver, or field a kick off which, the last time I checked is the players responsibilities. If i had been at the game I would have left at half time to go watch Georgetown or EKU. At least they can execute 90% of the time on BOTH sides of the ball. UK simply has been under coached or is under performing. Dont blame it on the fans… thats our job to decide who cant stick their finger in their earhole.

15. Jay
    9:46 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

I totally understand that we need fans to show support, but we have and what’s it got us. Just saying maybe admin will get their shiit together seeing some empty seats. Really they have let us down for so long they need a message. Looks like they might be getting it. Besides that, great post.

16. BCO
    9:49 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Anyone who says one and dones dont care about the program need to look no further than Big Cuz. What a great kid.

17. Dave
    9:51 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Ha! Drew didn’t go to the game yet says turnout was pathetic and criticizes those that did go…

18. bung
    9:55 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

big Cuz is an awesome Kentucky Wildcat

19. BFrey
    10:02 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

“Act like an SEC-caliber fanbase.” 23, 23, 22, 25. That is what the UK fan attendance ranked the last 4 years. I don’t think fans are the problem.

20. tdogg4033011
    10:07 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

wait and see how many fans come out this weekend & the next. No sense in talking bad about the fans,
    it was a mid major opponent after a very ugly opener. It will be a packed house the next 2
    weekends no doubt !!!

21. Ghostofbearbryant
    10:19 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Get off the fans backs. The fans know the school isn’t committed to being competitive in conference. You don’t get there while in a low recruiting base area by spending below conference average in every category. Lucky anyone shows up at all.

22. BPsycho
    10:21 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

“Kentucky will get killed if guys keep getting lost and beat deep once conference play comes around”

This will sound weird coming from me with my “severe” hatred of Louisville and all, we will get rolled on the 17th if our guys don’t cover that up. Say what you will about 5’9 Lil’ Will Stein, but I bet he can hit his guys deep.

23. john4uk
    10:22 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

If the Cats look as bad in real life as they do on TV,i can understand why fans stay away from the game.They are bad in nearly every aspect of the game.As a life long fan,i’m very dissappointed in what i’ve seen so far this season.I can only hope they will make marked improvemtent as the season goes on,and will continue to watch and support them no matter what.

24. Brother Michigan
    10:36 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

I’ll echo the complaints about the new video boards. The ribbon boards add absolutely nothing (also, flags? seriously?) and the large boards at either end of the stadium are completely useless because of the aforementioned ads and the fact that evidently nobody stopped to think about how to use them or how they might actually be useful. Did anyone ever stop to think that the five minutes during a review MIGHT be a good time to actually show a replay?

25. ruger
    10:42 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

If you want an SEC caliber fan base you have to put an SEC caliber football team on the field. I went to undergrad at UK from 78 to 81 and professional school at UK through 1985. I remember the same crap back then that’s happening now. We would always go 3-0 angainst weak competition to start the season and then we would play a team like Georgia to start conference play and get our asses kicked. After games with SEC competition walking back to Kirwan tower, the visiting fans would mockingly say, “welcome to the SEC”. It’s been that way every year since 1977 and personally I don’t give a rat’s ass about going to the Mediocre Joker Bowl in Nashville and playing some other top 50 school that should also be at home watching the real bowl games on TV. I think celebrating mediocrity with a one game over .500 “bowl eligible” season is a joke”er”. This team sucks and and if you think the attendance Saturday was bad, wait about a month. UK should get a big name coach and invest some money in the football program or get rid of it. KSR and every other UK outlet (like the cats pause) builds this program up every year like this is going to be the year the program rounds the corner, and ouside of beating LSU when they were #1, there has been very little to be proud of with UK football. I was at the game the last time we beat Tennessee. I hope I live long enough to see the next one we win against them. Good grief!!!! 58,000 in attendace is about 49,999 more that this program diserves. If the games weren’t such a great outdoor cocktail party the attendance would be ZERO.

26. kentuckygentleman
    10:43 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

58,000 for a noon game against Central Michigan, I applaud those people that showed. Surprised it was that many. Have you seen how much tickets cost, in this economy? Seriously You do know they broadcast games on radio, tv, and the net now?

27. the big dog
    10:43 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

The video boards were a cruel joke from Barnhart. Most of the time the board was half adds. As as the ribbon board, ole Mitch removed what little trace there was of Kentycky football tradition and replaced it with video ribbon to bombard the fans with advertising throughout the game.

28. Justin G.
    10:48 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

I was at the game this weekend, and the turnout was a tad bit disappointing, yet, so has been UK football in history. Our fanbase has been remarkable in the past, and yet, the product on the field has not been anywhere close to being competitive game-in-game-out, in the tough SEC. How does a fanbase cheer for a team that goes down 10 points in the 1st quarter, almost every game. Last year, UK could not stop anyone in the first half, and would have to claw back to even make it a game (every running back was setting their season high in yards on the Cats). I’m sorry, but that will take the fans out of it! I mean, look at what Dan Mullen has done for Miss. St. in his short time there! The reason the fans are not feeling it right now, is because the product on the field is indicative of what UK always has been (a team that struggles to play D or produce offense, and leans so heavy on one side of the ball). If we want the fans to get involved in the games, then make it exciting, and do not get DOWN at the start of the game! Try and compete with other teams in the SEC! Do not try to just get back to another crap bowl. We have been to 5 straight bowls, but to the fan base, it feels like the team is going in reverse. That does not produce excitement!
    Oh, and to the people that think we need new facilities, you really do not know much about them I guess. UK’s facilities are actually really nice, and ESPN actually said they were extremely impressed when they did an SEC analysis of each team, and what they have. UK’s biggest hurdle is the lack of quality recruits instate! We have to go and compete with more high profile programs, out of state. It does not help when UK gets spanked by the Gators, by 35, especially when the state has a lot of quality recruits.
    All I am saying, is that it feels like we are just going through the usual motions, as we have done every season. I mean Navy just put up 40 on Western! Did we struggle to do anything against them? I can not remember. Just stop feeding us this PROPAGANDA, and play hard nosed football.

29. hungover cat
    10:58 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

As a season ticket holder, I’ll show to whatever game I want to show up at. I did’nt attend for these reasons: A.)Noon Kick-off (completely ruins tailgaiting, ruins the rest of your day, have to drive to and from L’ville). B.) Sorry ass opponnent C.) Their play on the field against WKU/coaching decicions against WKU in no way makes me want to go out of my way to attend a game. C.) Louisville and Florida with back to back games the next weeks. D.) I gave my tickets away so they did’nt go unused. RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

30. Justin G.
    11:06 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Oh, I forgot to add that it might help if Joker mixes it up a bit, and stops trying to run it up the middle on EVERY first down. The opponent might catch onto that! Don’t you think? It might be cool to try and get the tight-ends involved. Have they even had a play called?

31. Montymonty
    11:09 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Free Aaron Boyd? I understand wanting to support our players, but Boyd? Dude’s too slow to be a receiver, too soft and/or stubborn to become a tight end where he could have thrived. Give me a break, Boyd sucks.

32. Jimmy
    11:38 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Everyone relax about the attendance. Had they not expanded Commonwealth Stadium, this would’ve been a standing room only sellout (jk). The main scoreboards are a disappointment because of ads and lack of replays. The ribbon boards are useless (except for more ads, I guess)and the only score I saw on them (several times)was a UK soccer loss to Stanford.

33. BPsycho
    11:44 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

#32 **** Stanford!

34. tyson
    11:51 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Drew, you must still have been hungover from your night at Drakes when you wrote this. Attacking the fans? Come on dude. As bad as last season ended and the first two games of this year, plus the opponent and the time, what exactly were you expecting?

35. yep
    11:57 pm September 11, 2011 Permalink

Shut up, no one wants to show up for a noon game against Central Michigan when we are as bad as we are right now

36. j8
    12:24 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

“If fans want this program to compete in the SEC, they’re going to have to show up for games and act like an SEC-caliber fanbase.” The fans have never been the issue…KY fans are the MOST supportive fans in the nation considering the on-the-field product that they consistently receive. Still believing in Blue!

37. hoss_cat
    12:29 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Why are you blaming the fans because they don’t go? maybe because it was a terrible game and we about lost to WKU last week asshole

38. hoss_cat
    12:32 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

39. hoss_cat
    12:41 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

kentucky has the most loyal fans, maybe if we got a big name coach that could bring in some talent then people would come…..other then that we will never compete in the SEC….Drew Franklin is a fag

40. experienced
    2:21 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

All I have to say….Coach Cal 31.5 Million, Joker 8.5 Million…….now you tell me why our basketball team is consistently top 5 and I’ll tell you why fans don’t show up to games. Thanks though for using the fanbase as a whipping boy.

41. do some research
    3:48 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

you attack the UK fans like they suck.. do you realize that the UK football program is in the top 20 in revenue? we support them like a top 20 team and they play like a bottom 20 team. Minter made his i don;t see 70k in rupp comment.. well those 23 k rupp fans said screw commonwealth.. and i for one don’t blame them.When u get no return on your investment you dump the stock right? UK football has no flare, no swag, they rarely look interested.the play is uninspiring and the fans should not settle for it any longer.let the attendance drop to 23k like rupp and then see if that lights the coaches and the players to do something.

42. Drew Sucks
    8:58 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

The fans support the team far more than the athletic department and university do. Put an SEC caliber coaching staff on the sideline and quit your naive, juvenile bitching about the fans.

43. Sad UK fan
    9:25 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Look at the a tats that Ryan Mossakowsky has put up in his last 2 games. Granted it’s JUCO but look at who UK has played. Joker made the wrong decision on who his QB should be. Newton should have played WR like Randall Cobb.

44. Big Blue Fan
    9:33 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

We are getting exactly what I thought we would be getting from Joker. Mediocrity. Time for the fans to stand up and be heard. We are not going to win in the SEC with a mediocre coach. #operationboycott

45. Wildcat Bill
    9:55 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

We sit in 212 and the student attendance was embarrassing. What else do the students have to do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon? Where are you students? Have some pride! RISE!

46. UKGrad83
    10:59 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Like Ruger said, this program has been stagnant since the late 70’s. The school has chosen to make mediocre hires and whatever excitement there is leading up to the season, it quickly fades when we see the product on the field. Granted there have been some exceptions during that time – Mumme’s Air Raid comes to mind – the defeat of LSU – but those have been short lived anomalies. The last time this program won 9 games was in 1984 and that was with 11 regular season games. The fans are TIRED of mediocrity and want to get behind a program that competes for conference championships. Why does the administration not recognize this and take the necessary steps to make it happen? Because regardless of the product, the fans support the team and the dollars continue to roll in. Why pay more to upgrade a product that is already a cash cow? When the money stops, only then will changes be made.

47. Kanter Banter
    12:51 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Pitiful article…..complain about the fans??? Please! This season is a carryover from last years mess. Sorry fans spend big money for tickets and with terrible non conf schedules then factor in the performance of the team as well as the coaches…= LESS FANS. Don’t like it? Well do something about it. Improve the coaching, quit scheduling 5 bunny teams (that we barely beat). Joker was a poor coach in waiting selection and we are paying the price today……..Lose to Louisville or put up another pathetic showing…then watch the attendance. Thank goodness we have Flordia, Ole Miss, Tenn at home this year….it could be worse as far as attendance.

48. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    1:09 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

UK football fans are the worst.. I mean, there was little to no excitement in the crowd the entire game. If you arent going to get excited and you’re just going to sit and talk about how bad our team is, don’t come. My bourbon filled buddies and I will gladly hold down the stadium by ourselves.
    Go Cats.

49. Drew is Oblivious
    5:45 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Drew is Oblivious

50. Drew is Oblivious
    5:47 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Drew is Oblivious… UK has been in the top 25 in attendance and revenue for how many years now?????? Give us a product worthy of packing the house and we will! Geez Drew, what a joke of a post!

51. Hoss
    6:05 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

I don’t have to tell you that you guys suck, Matt… read the rest of these comments.

Fawking pathetic is closer akin. Your entire staff’s collective FB knowledge couldn’t fill a thimble, son.

You’d best be PRAYING for basketball season to get here b/c fb season only serves to show your slip and those knobby knees.

52. Bedside Manner
    6:37 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

I really get tired of all the complaints. We’re doing the best we can with what we’ve got to work with. I’m behind this team as I have been for over 40 years. I’m a FAN. I do remember that back in the early 70’s there was much more home grown talent on the team and it was great to root for the underdog that would sometimes overachieve. We are what we are. Like it or leave it. Me, I’m in it for the long haul. I love KY and all the athletes in EVERY sport!