Ohio State has eyes on Drew Barker

Kentucky likes its position with 2014 standout quarterback Drew Barker, but Urban Meyer and Ohio State are starting to move in on the star of Conner High School.

Barker, the No. 1 player in Kentucky, wants to get the recruiting process over with before his senior season and he is on pace to make a decision in early May. It’ll be interesting to see if an offer from Ohio State, if and when it comes, will postpone his decision.

As of now, it’s looking like a two-horse race between Kentucky and South Carolina with Kentucky out in front coming down the stretch. Barker loves the idea of playing in Neal Brown’s Air Raid 2.0 offense and potentially being the in-state kid turned football legend at UK.

Bring it on, Urban.

#BigBarkerNation

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Ohio State has eyes on Drew Barker

1. wildcat
    10:35 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

only problem ohio state has tradition kentucky does not

2. Richie Farmer
    10:39 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

You call that a mustache?

3. Richie Farmer
    10:40 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

…because that’s what I’m focused on right now, in this order: 1) How my mustache stacks up against other mustaches 2) My Cancun trip and 3) that pesky legal stuff. (It’s so confusing! LOL)

4. Big Mike in The Wood
    10:41 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

South Carolina? The only awards those QB’s earn are public intoxication citations!

5. afl
    10:46 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

whats the big deal on drew barker.. I mean I understand that hes good but we have plenty of QBS so losing him doesnt seem like it be the worst thing that could happen.

6. Banks of the Olentangy
    10:47 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

OSU is stacked offensively, and Braxton Miller is going to have a crazy year…..could get interesting 🙂 This doesn’t even include the WR, RB, and H-Back talent that is coming in from OSU’s #1 ranked class. I think the KY ties will make it a battle though.

7. What you sayin
    10:50 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Please tell me you know that Meyer and Coombs have visited Barker. Please! Ohio State is well aware of the situation. Old news!

8. lonnieb
    10:55 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Big 10 vs SEC is the real question…….does he want to go in and follow braxton at OSU in the boring big10 or try to change a teams culture in the NFL d league(SEC)…..Making UK 8-4 in bowl games with amazing stats he will put up will make him more attractive to NFL than at OSU managing the game

9. Goty
    11:02 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

(#8) The homerism is strong with this one…

10. Tim Couch's Locker Room Chair
    11:03 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Fill my seat Drew and be the next Couch. Go #1 in the Draft, hopefully to a decent team and have a long and successful career in the NFL.

11. Buster
    11:06 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

9. Lonnieb that is not a valid argument. Ohio State has more players in the NFL currently than UK has had total in the last 10 years. Exposure to national media is more likely to boost NFL prospects than anything. Ohio State plays most of their games on national TV and several of those are in the primetime spotlight.

12. Buck n Doe
    11:09 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

What do you think. Will Barker replace Whitlow and start for the Cats in 2014? UK has extremely high hopes for Barker. They are only recruiting him at QB and no one else in the class of 2014.

13. yesterdays
    11:10 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

If by primetime, you mean at noon, then yes, Ohio State games are all prime time. Make no mistake that OSU easily has a top 5 program, but playing in the big ten is currently a small wart when compared to playing for your home state school in the SEC.

14. UKfanNKY
    11:13 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey Drew don’t forget your #1 HS reciever over the past years (Cameron Fogle) is going to KENTUCKY!! You guys may as well stick together….I can hear it now…………..TOUCHDOWNNNNNN KENTUCKYYYYYYYYY!! GO CATS!!!

15. LOL
    11:32 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Not sure why, but Ohio State can’t produce NFL quarterback’s. Not saying UK has a great reputation, but Mike Tomczak is the best qb out of Ohio State.

Also, and the draft yesterday further illustrates this, but the SEC is simply dominating in recruiting. It’s obvious, I know. However,in other conferences maybe 1 or 2 teams are bringing in good talent, and these conferences are becoming top heavy talent wise. The Big 10 was really weak last year. OSU and Michigan recruit well, and the rest are lacking. OSU plays nobody this season and has a good shot at getting blown out by an SEC school in the championship. If he wants to play the best talent week in and week out, the SEC is where it’s at right now.

16. Lobster
    11:40 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

#15 False Shane Falco was

17. The Water Boy
    11:42 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

The one thing we have going for us is that Urban Meyer’s offense is NOT suited for prototypical NFL skilled QBs.

18. Scooby
    12:28 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

1) For those of you who obviously havent seen Barker play…he is listed as Pro-Style but can really run too…he runs with a Tebow-esque attitude but also has the mechanics to throw very well.

2)Barker has stated on multiple occasions that the most important thing to him is being someones 1st option…Nice Try OSU, but too little too late.

19. Chaz
    12:29 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t it Ironic? Our UK football teams regularly gets our butt beat by SEC teams. Now thanks to Stopps & staff we may be able turn the tables. Being in the SEC is a great recruiting tool. I like this post. C’mon Drew Barker, let’s have Teach ’em ’bout Kentucky Football v 1.0.

20. Derry the Canary
    2:31 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I like you Drew but I think you’re reaching a little by saying Kentucky is now leading his recruitment. Urban Meyer and Ohio State are now in the picture and supposedly Drew Barker is an OSU fan. So how are we ahead in a two-horse race with South Carolina? You need to give some respect to OSU. If they offer him that’s where he’s going as much as I’d love to see him in blue. Just saying you’re a little out of touch with reality in this post

21. Derry the Canary
    2:37 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m a UK fan and bleed blue but some of these comments are really funny to me. Yes, the SEC has the best football but that doesn’t mean playing in the best conference is a kid’s #1 priority. I would love to have Barker as a recruit here at UK but I won’t be surprised if he goes somewhere else. Stoops has gotten some good recruits so far so I have faith that he could pull it off but it just seems like a longshot right now considering the talent that this kid is.

22. Scooby
    3:26 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

20 & 21

You guys obviously havent paid much attention to his recruitment…he and his family are set on him making a decision in the next 2 weeks…which doesnt bode well for OSU. He was OSU’s 4th option, and he knows that….He is UK’s ONLY target. UK does lead now, and being that he is deciding sooner rather than later, He is ours.

Quote from Drew-

“I am an OSU fan but I want to go somewhere where I am the #1 target, I am not big on the idea of holding out for schools in case who they really want, they dont get.”