Oh no… Another one goes down at Louisville

This is truly unbelievable.

Kevin Ware, one of Pitino’s favorites, was injured in practice today and it’s bad. Very bad. The rumor is that it’s a torn meniscus and he’ll miss the rest of the season. There is still no official word from the university but it doesn’t sound good for Kevin Ware and Louisville.

This comes just one day after Rakeem Buckles went down with an ACL tear that’ll likely end his career.

************ UPDATE ************

Now we’re hearing it’s just a bone bruise from Ware and he’ll bounce back.

Regardless of the severity, it’s still another injury for Ricky P and the Birds.

————————-

Take a look at all of the injuries at UofL this season:

— Rakeem Buckles — out for the season (knee)

— Mike Marra — out for the season (knee)

— Stephen Van Treese — out since Nov. 26 (knee)

— Wayne Blackshear — hasn’t played all season (shoulder)

— Elisha Justice — missed four games (nose)

— Peyton Siva — missed two games (ankle)

— Russ Smith — missed one game (neck)

Article written by Drew Franklin

73 Comments for Oh no… Another one goes down at Louisville

1. knightynight
    2:19 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

this just seems weird. karma?

2. Syphino
    2:19 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

How many of these injuries occurred at practice? Denny Crum sounds like a prophet.

3. mdd34
    2:19 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Damn, I feel for the Cards.

4. Calipari'sInYourEar
    2:22 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

These boys just lack toughness. That’s the problem with Jefferson County.

I think it’s the estrogen in the Ohio River leeching into the water supply.

5. TrinityPills
    2:23 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Strength coach ought to be dusting off his resume.

6. i'm just sayin
    2:24 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

wow, I’m no Cards fan but you have to feel for these kids, that is just a horrible string of injuries.

7. LawrenceofLondon
    2:24 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Kinda makes those allegations that Pitino is pushing his players too hard sound legit. As someone who has suffered knee problems most of my life I feel bad for these guys….even after multiple surgeries mine are terrible and keeps me up all night keeping me awake from the pain. Sorry for you guys.

8. Guck Foodman.
    2:27 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Good lord, there were Republican Guard regiments with less injuries in Desert Storm.

9. BigKatHead
    2:27 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Good call #2 – is Rickie wanting it so badly that he is pushing his lads too hard in practice and destroying them physically?? How long will it be before the triumvirate blames Cal for these injuries since he has established a competitive bar that is so high that it has forced Rickie three-stacks into taking his famously brutal workouts to dangerous heights? I feel for the injured, and wish them all a speedy recovery!!

10. Bledsoe's Biceps
    2:27 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Wow! You have to feel bad for these kids. Just trying to play a game that they love and some hoping to make a living doing it. I wish them well and hope they all can have a full recovery.

11. WWE Personnel
    2:29 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Too much of a coincidence here. Preston and Coach Crum saying Pitino works them too hard. Is Pitino cracking under pressure like Billy G?

12. catman
    2:31 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

You forgot to mention Kyle Kuric too…

13. Random Nibbler
    2:31 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

A meniscus? He’ll be back in a month.

14. Me
    2:31 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

NOT DOUBTING!!!

But, if I was a uofl fan I would be PIZZED that a UK site was ‘breaking news’ before louisville media let alone uofl sites. Is rick and jurich try’n to get the ‘story straight’ before the release?

Will ware be back next year anyway? Uofl is gonna be hurting even more next year with all the guys leaving the program for various reasons.

15. Bluecalizone
    2:31 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Cards or not,,I hate it for those kids.

16. UKMathCat
    2:35 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Feel terrible for those kids.

Don’t know if it’s Pitino’s practices or just bad luck, but no program deserves this.

17. gottodoit
    2:35 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

“We talkin’ about practice. Not a game. We talkin’ about practice. Not a game.We talkin’ about practice, man. Practice.”

18. T.J.
    2:37 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Pitino is starting to remind me of John Voight’s character in Varsity Blues.

19. Mr Obvious
    2:40 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

In other news: Louisville to hold open tryouts for their basketball team. Members of the football team are urged to participate…as well as any pre-med students with a general knowledge of how the “shin bone is connected to the knee bone”.

20. Yup
    2:41 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

At some point you have to wonder not only about the recruits that would rather be in Lexington, but what about the current Cards? I say Chris Smith is the only one on the roster that would not switch sides in a minute. But only because he wasn’t paying attention to the question…

21. Chris Smith
    2:42 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Huh? You say sumfin?

22. billy clyde
    2:44 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

sounds like hes getting them boys toughened up. if a player doesnt end up in bandages or locked in a bathroom stall i dont consider it a successful practice.

23. scary uncle
    2:45 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

at what point does this stop being funny?

24. Kidnut
    2:46 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I wish you would have listed this
    – Rick Pitino – has missed all season (mind)

25. Rick Pitino
    2:47 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Come on down Derek Willis! Enjoy your 6 years of the Louisville experience where you’ll enjoy 20,000 hours of treadmill fun, strenuous body fat reduction programs and oh, the 3-4 knee surgeries that accompany every scholarship here at ‘Da Ville.

26. The Cheese
    2:48 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I forgot all about Justice. I still have a difficult time picturing him at Louisville. It is a bizarre marriage.

27. HA HA HA HA!
    2:49 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I keep waiting for the punch line to this ongoing joke that is tardinal basketball…but the setup is just tooooooo funny! Come on now Rick! CUT…IT…OUT

28. MIKE
    2:50 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

SUCKS TO SUCK

29. Frankthetank
    2:51 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

The demise of Ricky P…KSR needs to do a fan poll…if they wrote a book about Slick Rick’s life, what would it be called???
    “Karma is a real BITCH!”
    That being said, like most of you I do feel sorry for these kids. It’s hard to imagine why any kid would decide to play for this loser at this point. I hope they win enough games to justify keeping him around for a few more years.

30. barn
    2:51 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

man, the basketball gods are really pissed at ul

31. BlueVooDoo
    2:53 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Now, if Ricky P gets a VD, we know its karma

32. Bobo Fay
    2:53 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I think there’s a squatch in these woods

33. Truth
    2:55 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

So now Pitino has his excuse. There’s no question the media will jump on the “Look at the job he did with all those injuries! COY COY!” It’s perfect really.. Ricky gets to stay cuz ‘none of this was his fault’ and we get to beat on him some more. Condolences to the kids who are hurt so that Rick can stay off the hot seat.

34. scary uncle
    3:00 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

the injuries are just a distraction from the teams real problems: females

35. bsquared
    3:00 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Those poor kids

36. UKalum
    3:01 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

27& 28. No class. UK doesn’t need fans like you.

37. minton
    3:01 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

What about Karen Sypher? She didn’t miss any games but she was late.

38. zack
    3:02 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

31. I think “has” was the word you were looking for.

39. Sammydog
    3:02 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

cardchronicle now says it is a knee bruise suffered in last game and tweaked in practice. Not that bad. Nothing torn. Should be ok.

40. TeamHung
    3:03 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

#31…Based on his recent behavior it appears Pitino is already in the dementia stage of syphilis. Sad, he once was a great man. But now, in the words of our fearless leader Matt Jones, “He looks like the crypt keeper and he’s wearing a white suit.”

41. Kwildcat
    3:07 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Why are they still in the polls????? Start posting Murray State news, this is too depressing!! We had our beatdown against them now let’s let the Cards dwell in their nest.

42. John B.
    3:09 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Turning into louisvillesportsradio.com

43. BG KY Dave
    3:09 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

33. You’re spot on.

Sounds like the theory of Ricky P’s practices are too hard on the players physically is now fact. This practice injury and all the rest of the injuries in Drew’s post support this theory. This sounds like enough to go on for another KSR post.

Also another post thread might be the next coach for Louisville. Who UK fans want to see in there and who don’t want? Graduating high school with Kevin Willard his name comes to mind but I dont know enough about his coaching abilities to know if they would want him. I know he coached under Ricky 3 stacks.

44. barn
    3:13 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

do any UK fans really want rick leave ul? i sure don’t. it’s fun competition between the 2 programs and the personalitys of the 2 coaches

45. @jrodwhalen
    3:13 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

#39 I’m reading the same thing as well.

46. Uh...What?
    3:22 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

#13–I wouldn’t bet on that. If it’s just the meniscus, then he should heal pretty quickly. As for me, I was told I’d be up and around in two (no less than three) days. However, when they scoped my knee, they found far more damage to cartiledge and other ligaments than previously thought.

47. Mr. Obvious
    3:22 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I am the real Mr. Obvious!!

48. cats11
    3:25 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Forgot Kuric.

49. Billy Wildcat
    3:38 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

8) That was one of the best comments ever. Well done, sir!

50. Chickenhead in every pot
    3:40 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

No way I would touch this in a negative light with a ten foot pole.. If I was KSR I would disable comments here…. Speedy recovery to this kid. Do not wish injury upon anyone.

51. The Really Real Mr Obvious
    3:45 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

to the real Mr Obvious…. No you’re not

52. Me
    3:48 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Matt / ksr, maybe yall should fact check before ya run with a story. Real easy to “correct” after word is out, but it doesn’t make our little ole site look so hot when we are having to correct stories. This is what happens when you try to be FIRST with a story. Stick with the fart jokes, and leave the real news to those more qualified.

53. Han
    4:02 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

They need to investigate the program for the sake of the health of the athletes there. There’s too many injuries for him to be looking after them right.

54. I'm Stupid
    4:07 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

52. Since when is a fart not real news? Heard Richard got a fissure from one.

55. Me
    4:16 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

#54 – rick is a walking fissure. No telling where he acquired any of his “problems.” But I know the Cleveland Clinic doesn’t have enough ointment to cure all of them.

56. bigcat76
    4:16 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

If it weren’t hurting for recruiting I’d say they must be overworked in practice, so it must caused by the repeated blows from Louisville Metro P.D. night sticks and tasers.

57. saki7
    4:17 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Well, that’s unfortunate. I now officially feel sorry for the Cards. 🙁

58. Upset/Sad
    4:18 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

You forgot Kyle K too.

59. Somonetoreallyfeelsorryfor
    4:20 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

RICKSVD i cant belive that guy dosent post anymore itwas a classic

60. The Truth
    4:28 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

There goes the RPI and the “quality win” over the #4 team in the country!

(I do feel bad for the players with injuries.)

61. AL
    4:30 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Navy seal training instead of basketball practice.

62. GODSAZNO
    5:11 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

L’ville players getting injured because they’re overworked.

63. Zack
    5:13 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

What happened to #LouisvilleDoesNotExist???? Apparently they do, and KSR can’t stop talking about them. It frankly wouldn’t matter if they were all healthy or not, they still suck. I’d rather hear about Clarence Jones’ pinky some more.

64. HackRichards
    6:38 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I would say this is the CLIMAX to Ricky’s career…BUT we all know Karen Sypher was that!

65. nolablue
    7:29 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

People who work in sports medicine know this: When you do not let a body have enough rest, ligaments and tendons get weaker, and
    that’s when MAJOR INJURIES TAKE PLACE. All of these injuries speak more to the fact that Ricky P. is working them too hard without
    proper rest, than anything else said up to this point.

66. Get Real
    7:50 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I understand the style comparisons. But really, has this become a better/worse discussion?

For real?

Camby was quite good, but never in the same level that Anthony Davis is at already.

Style yes. But as good as Camby was, he wasn’t the same caliber player at Anthony Davis.

It’s flattering to Camby, but disrespectful to A.D.

67. Get Real
    7:57 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I think it only proves the point that people really don’t understand when they are in the midst of seeing something truly special.

The old timers (and I’m one of them) can sometimes have inflated memories. (not anywhere near as often as you youngsters and your lack of perspective like to believe)

Camby was good…no argument. He’s good now.

A.D. is special…and SIGNIFICANTLY better right now than Camby ever was at any point.

68. bourbongirl
    8:15 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Seems to me that the devil has come to collect his due!!

69. Jenny Craig Pitino
    9:42 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

The official motto of UL basketball under RickyP, “Wait Until Next Year!”.

70. Pitino= washed up
    9:59 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Pitino Runs them in the ground!!!

71. Ciggy
    2:19 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I feel sorry for those kids, I would hate to think Pitino is pushing them hard enough to get hurt, but you never know. If he is, they need to run him out on a rail.

72. Jdaws
    2:26 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

All of those guys for UofSmell that have been injured for a long period of time outside of Wayne Blackshear ARE NOT difference makers. They are players that provide depth and nothing more.

73. Lindaloowho
    10:14 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

He ( Rick) is pushing them to hard.