Obama gives a shoutout to Adolph “Ruff”

President Obama met with the UConn basketball team yesterday to congratulate them on passing the ball to Kemba Walker all season. During his speech to the crowd, Obama said John Calhoun joins John Wooden, Adolph “Ruff’, Mike Kryszzyewiski, and Bob Knight as the only coaches to win three titles. (2:10 mark in the video)

Kentucky will be sure to correct Obama when the team meets with him this time next year.

It’s all ESPN’s fault anyway…

espn-sucks

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for Obama gives a shoutout to Adolph “Ruff”

1. Reality
    10:38 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Obama = Idiot

2. Moe Williams is my homeboy
    10:40 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Did ESPN really run that graphic??

3. The Real Jerry Tipton
    10:48 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

I think his lips prevented him from being able to say Rupp correctly

4. Mr Schwump
    10:51 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

1, you = bigger idiot. Go back to Ronn Pall’s nutsack.

5. The Real Jerry Tipton
    10:55 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

^ I believe it is Ron Paul, you dumbocrat

6. Glenn Beck
    10:55 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

I approve #1 even if he is a moron

7. Enes
    10:58 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Liberal Democrats never get the facts straight.

8. Mr Schwump
    11:00 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

1, 5, 7 pry your lips off Paul’s ass long enough to give McConnell an enema. Poor SOB’s looks like he’s been constipated for years.

9. stevem
    11:01 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

It was purposeful. UK and Rupp are still viewed by certain elements as contemptible old-south racists. These types don’t want to be confused with the facts; it would destroy their credibility.

10. Ronald D.
    11:02 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

I love politcs! NOT

11. justified
    11:02 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Always good to honor a verifed, punished, multiple offender CHEATER at the White House… like Calhoun.
    Of course, when major players in the President’s cabinet are verified TAX CHEATS…it seems to help me understand better.
    Like peanut butter and jelly.

12. Loyal Royal
    11:04 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

There seem to be a lot of political analysts on the site today. Sadly, I prefer the trolls.

13. Nuke
    11:06 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Have Demarcus call him

14. Loyal Royal
    11:07 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

@10, check out politics.com. They have an article on better UK backcourt. Epps & Delk, Turner & Sheppard, Hawkins & Fitch, or Wall & Bledsoe.

15. maxblue
    11:10 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

It is sad when the “smartest person in the room”, who claims to know so much about college basketball doesn’t know who Adolph Rupp was. It’s perfectly obvious that the people who loaded the teleprompter saw the espn broadcast, but Obama is too lacking in knowledge to recognize the error.

16. Miss Priss
    11:16 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

So let me get this straight..
    he can say Krzyzewski correctly, but not “Rupp”?
    something’s wrong with that…

17. MadCatter
    11:16 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

8) Pry YOUR lips of Spendomaniac’s ass long enough to realize you’re an imbecile.

18. Matt Jones' Enes voice
    11:17 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

I could care less about obama’s knowledge of basketball. Just keep kicking republicans around like a tin can and I’m happy.

19. Edward Cullen
    11:18 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

MadCatter made a happy face.

20. actually
    11:20 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

18 I think you meant you couldN’T care less. ‘could care less’ has to be the most improperly used phrase in the English language. smh.

21. MadCatter
    11:25 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

18. You mean like the way you kicked them around in the midterms?

22. uk3k
    11:27 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

not everyone on the planet knows adolph rupp. as sad as that is to say, many basketball fans outside of the bbn probably are pretyy out of touch with the past greats. They all know wooden though because espn worships him.

23. Reality
    11:33 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

We need more “Conservative Democrats” and “Liberal Republicans”………..

24. Go Cats
    11:34 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

RE 20: Perhapsy the most improperly used word is ‘Irregardless’. There’s no such word! The correct word is ‘Regardless’.

25. Troy
    11:35 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Let’s face it — Obama is only as good as what he reads on teleprompters. Coach Rupp deserves more respect!

26. cop killin promoted at the white house
    11:39 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Cut him some slack. Coach Ruff was probably from 1 of the other 57 states he visited. Easy mistake.
    GO CATS!!

27. MARK HAMILTON
    11:41 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

WHAT IS THE KSR TEXT NUMBER?

28. JackB
    11:46 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

This isn’t a comment about the President on other issues. This is a one issue comment – the disrespect of Adolph Rupp by the President.

The Smartest President ever doesn’t know “Rupp” is his name? That is really ridiculous. I’m pretty sure I could pronounce the name of all the great college basketball coaches if given an opportunity to recognize someone for a great accomplishment. I mean, this President took time away from running wars he denounced and spending gazillions of dollars, a lot of them formerly my dollars, on projects that aren’t improving unemployment to do an NCAA bracket on TV. I have a mere private sector job and I didn’t have the time in March to do any bracket pools because I was too busy that week — I even had to watch UK play on DVR that first weekend because I was too busy with my job to watch the games live. But the President has lots of time for basketball and can’t say “Rupp”? Awesome.

Forget politics – he mispronounced “Rupp” – are you a UK fan or a political idiot? He deserves ridicule for that sin, at least by all UK fans. I hate to say this, but if you support Obama’s right to disrespect Rupp without consequence then you aren’t a real UK fan. Go to Looserville you posers.

Word.

29. 26 is a idiot
    11:49 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

57 states… really??

30. e-sly-ky
    11:51 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

Vote Republican. Bush was a little crazy but he wouldnt have got Rupp’s name wrong.

31. Inside Your Mind
    11:53 am May 17, 2011 Permalink

They gave him a jersey with the number 1 on it because he’ll be a one term president. Get Obama away from a teleprompter and his true colors and ignorance shows. It’s fitting though that the communist in chief is meeting with one of the biggest cheaters in college basketball.

32. RajonKnows
    12:00 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

All these comments are just one big face palm. http://www.ghosttheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

33. Legggooo
    12:06 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

29 – #26 was referring to Obama saying 57 states. Look it up dumbass before you comment.

34. FKCat
    12:06 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Hopefully they had Osama’s laptops locked up safely for the duration of the UCONN visit.

35. John Calipari's Amazing One and Done Flying Circus
    12:08 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Ahhh, he’s from Illinois. Of course he knows nothing about college basketball.

36. Uuuummmm....
    12:10 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, well if ESPN is giving the bad info, and the speech writers don’t do their fact checking, then it’s bound to happen! Obama more than likely wouldn’t review this speech – and don’t say Bush would have, cause it’s not like it’s a high priority on any president’s list!!! As someone who speaks in front of groups for a living, bringing attention to a mistake by correcting yourself at that moment can someones come off better but can also sometimes bring more attention to the mistake. In that room, at that exact moment, most people probably didn’t even notice. It’s only when watched repeatedly that you really zero in on it. This is not an excuse – being the president and being a sports fan like he says he is, he really should have known better. But come on – even many of the BBN were not fans of Rupp aside from his bball dominance!

37. mjblue2
    12:22 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

I’m gonna pass on the political banter and give a shout out to Drew on the “congratulate them on passing the ball to Kemba Walker all season” line. You’re consistantly my favorite Drew.

38. WildcatFan
    12:26 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Just another example of why this IDIOT, yes IDIOT, should not be in the White House. Come on, as a supposed huge fan of college basketball, he says in front of the entire world “Adolph Ruff”?!? WTF? Go ahead, blame that one on Bush, too!

39. bigron
    12:29 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

NO-Bama 2010 = No-brainer

40. shadowboxer
    12:31 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

This is what happens when the man doesn’t have his trusty teleprompter. Adolph Ruff? Seriously? Hi, I’m Joe Arf.

41. ares
    12:41 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

This reminds me of an old saying in texas…..

42. I'ma Reader!
    12:58 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

In all fairness to Obama, he was probably only doing what he does best…….reading from a teleprompter!

43. ScoobyForPresident
    1:08 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Rut Roh

44. Dick Vitalum
    1:50 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if he has heard of Joe B. Hagg and Denny Crud. Guess he just gained 8 electoral votes.

45. AKA cold buckets
    1:53 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

My dog’s name is Adolf Ruff

46. Political Irony
    3:04 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Most of the UK players that we all cheer for love Obama (just saying). About 80-90% of African Americans support Obama.

In fact, all you have to do is recap the enthusiasm of most of last year’s team when Obama called. The views of many in the conservative UK fanbase don’t represent the views of most African Americans (UK players included). That’s real whether you like it or not.

47. Jeez
    3:29 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

47. Only 50 percent of the players we know and love ever heard of Ruff. Thats not real because I made it up

48. CAUKFAN
    3:34 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

46, did you have to bring the call up. All I remember is losing the next game after Obummer predicted we would win. It seem like that was our first loss too. The Coach Ruff thing just adds insult to injury. I think he owes us a stimulus project if the form of a new Rupp Arena.

49. Easy
    3:39 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

He knew what he was saying, just a back handed slap to Rupp. Screw him and the rest of the marxist around him .

50. GODSAZNO
    5:01 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Obama knows coaches like he knows brackets.

51. UKAlumInHouTX
    5:54 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

48. Don’t you mean Ruff Arena?

52. MARK HAMILTON JR.
    6:04 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

DOES THIS ADOLPH RUFF HAVE A FACEBOOK??!!

53. HossCat
    6:10 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

FACTS: Overlooked by coservatives for decades now! If you heard it on Fox News your probably a racist homophobe douche bag!!!!

54. MikeInLexington
    6:17 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Its because the p is so close to the f on a keyboard…….oh wait

55. Political Irony
    7:01 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Most of the UK players that we all cheer for love Obama (just saying). Actually 80-90% of African Americans support Obama.

56. Sweet Wm
    9:01 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

TOTUS: I sort of like Ruff Arena

57. catfan89
    9:15 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Ah don’t you just love President Osama

58. SKyCat
    9:26 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

Ruff. Yes, pretty embarrassing from our Commander in Chief. Whatever happened to the good old days when our fearless leader had complete command of the English language?

“Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.”

“I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.”

“They misunderestimated me.”

“Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?”

“I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.”

“The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him.”

“I don’t know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don’t care. It’s not that important. It’s not our priority.”

59. SKyCat
    9:31 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.”

“There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on –shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

Tell me when to stop.

60. cop killin promoted at the white house
    9:56 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

I have been to all 57 states!
    SKYCAT – Turn off Msnbc and Comedy Central and realize who is in office at this time. Geeze! Do u libs have any other comeback?

61. Political Irony
    10:44 pm May 17, 2011 Permalink

#57 Its not just me, its also the majority of UK players you and I cheer. That’s the cold hard truth many conservative UK fans don’t want to accept. Look in the mirror before you judge.

62. HOOKEDonPhonics
    7:33 am May 18, 2011 Permalink

i think he just gets his p’s and F’s mixed up. oh and by the way, its still called the “white” house. just so you know.