Not-so-Super Cam Newton

By now, I’m sure you’ve all seen the Charlotte Observer’s depiction of former Auburn QB Cam Newton in yesterday’s editorial section. It’s been a huge discussion on whether it’s unfair or not to throw him under the bus so early in the season, especially after the season he had last year. It’s even been considered a little racist by some of analysts of ESPN, something I fail to see, but can understand where they are coming from. Is it unfair of Newton’s home-team paper to publish something like this only three games into his sophomore season?

Discuss.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

48 Comments for Not-so-Super Cam Newton

1. Camo man
    4:03 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

2. Twitter Account Denied
    4:04 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

This is total BS! Cam is not used to losing, but he does need to man up and not mope around so much. That rubs off on other teammates. But you cannot deny how awesome he is/will be.

3. UK FAN
    4:04 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

What isn’t raciest anymore? Funny during the interview at CommonWealth watching fans dance around saying anything negative about Joker… I was dying for someone to just say he can’t coach or get his team prepared to play but that might have been considered raciest also.

4. Kidnut
    4:06 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

It’s no Joel Pett!

5. Al Sharpton
    4:07 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Nothing racist here. Oh wait, I’m Al Sharpton. This is worse than slavery.

6. asdf
    4:07 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

5. True. Unlike Joel Pett, this guy can actually draw!

7. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    4:08 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m going to do my best Charlie Coles impersonation…

Kentucky Sports Radio…Cam Newton…Sir where are you from?

8. GeePee
    4:12 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Huh? Tipton writes like that every week!

9. CatGrad7072
    4:15 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Good one #5. It sounds like in the big leagues to me. I don’t see anything racist or even insulting here.
    Well, maybe the Hello Kitty artist will be miffed about trademark infringement.

10. Bulldawg
    4:19 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Newton’s numbers are down because NFL teams finally realized, “hey this guy can beat us all by himself.” NFL defenses are gearing towards stopping Newton. And I don’t mean just put a shadow guy on him, I mean entire defensive schemes developed to stop one guy. That is why his numbers are down. I would like him to be a true leader and work even harder during this adversity.

11. Will S
    4:20 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Cooooooool KSR deleted my opinion. The editorial was a joke, we need to rally behind Cam not throw him under the bus. The guy was the NFL ROY last year…

12. Bob
    4:23 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

“…something I fail to see, but can understand where they are coming from.”

Huh? Care to elaborate? Where are they coming from?

13. Head Bussa
    4:26 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Nothing wrong with this cartoon. This is the big-boy league he’s in and it comes with the territory. What has he done for the Panthers fans lately? That’s all they care about. They don’t want to see that Superman pose unless they are winning. I’m sure when he starts to win again they will have a comic with him depicted as superman. No big deal here. Moving on……….

14. reality
    4:30 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

This is why it is a bad idea to have a “black” quarterback, coach, or president in the first place. Because when they inevitably suck or are ineffective – you can’t point it out without being called “racist” – or having your message deleted from a liberal website.

15. UK>UC
    4:31 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Unfair comment by the media, got him attention though so it served it’s purpose.

16. Ryan YMCB
    4:32 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Why do we care about Cam Newton on a UK blog? Yes he was SEC but that was 2 years ago. Let’s talk Spurrier and USC.

17. Kidnut
    4:32 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

“something I fail to see, but can understand where they are coming from.”
    So you understand because whoever is making the statement is coming from crazy land?

18. Randy Marsh
    4:33 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Das not Racist

19. White running back
    4:35 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Dude, what is racist is the fact that there are more black QBs in college and the pros than white running backs.

20. stan
    4:45 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

How do we know for sure this is Cam? I can’t see a number on the shirt. Of course it is racist,everything is these days.

21. Dave in Bangkok
    4:51 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

That would depend on why he is struggling. Is it self sabotage (drugs or too much partying)? Is it lack of effort? Is he out of shape?

OR

Is is poor coaching? Poor Teamwork? Poor receivers? Has the NFL figured him out and the Panthers coaching staff aren’t reacting and altering strategy/tactics?

If the former, throw him under the bus. If the latter, throw the coaches under the bus.

22. 49 Chevy
    4:54 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

To answer that question about the paper being unfair, take a look at our hometown paper.

23. barn
    4:58 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

sure it’s racist. didn’t you know that the nfl is like a giant plantation and all the black players are in bondage?

24. Vette72
    5:26 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

23) …in bondage to the tune of millions. Which most go through in a few years.

25. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:33 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Wait, wait, wait, someone is pulling the race card on that cartoon? Or are we just talking about Cam in general? I’d love to just hear someone explain the supposed connection between Hello Kitty and the color of a man’s skin, so please, someone fill me in.

26. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:41 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

By the way, I don’t think the cartoon was as much about Cam Newton’s lackluster performance to date as it was about the timing of his Superman celebration. When he did the celebration last game, the Panthers were down 23-6. And he’s pretending to rip his shirt open like he’s the baddest dude alive? Come on man, you’re getting smoked. Get your team back in the game, then celebrate all you want.

In other words, when your team’s down by 17, you’re not really like superman, are you?

27. Mark A. Smith
    5:56 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Is it fair for KSR to turn on Joker, when at this point in Brooks tenure at UK. he wasn’t doing any better? I remember the calls for hos job at the time.

28. 44 Stitches
    6:21 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

@ #26… You’re 100% right about this thing. it was the timing of Cam’s celebration.

In fairness to Cam he is from Westlake high school down here in Atlanta. It’s the same high school that gave us Adam “Pacman” Jones.

29. TShlew
    6:59 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

The reason it’s being called racist is because in the color version, the QB appears to be white. Not saying I agree with it, because even still I see no racism. Just letting you all know.

30. Head Bussa
    7:06 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

27 — You can’t even compare the two coaches. Brooks took over a program in the dumps. Joker took over a rising program.

31. Michael
    7:17 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Racist? Oh yeah, I forgot. Any critique of a black man is racism.

32. Steven
    7:19 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

This was done by a political cartoonist and not by the sports column guys. It’s total bs and shouldn’t be allowed to be printed by a guy who clearly knows nothing of football. Cam is a classy guy. I’m a Wildcat fan, and Panthers diehard.

33. Ken Tucky
    7:58 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Cam Newton is a big boy now, earning big boy pay. After all the crap he endured at Auburn, I’m sure he has thick skin. So much so that his butt cheeks will never bleed from the kissing and he will laugh heartily all the way to the Bank (of America).

34. carnifex
    8:00 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

We have been told by the super-duper smart pundits at MSNBC that “apartment” is now a racist term. In fact, every word in the English language, including “the” and “and”, drip with racism, and as such, Obama is going to make Luo (his native language)the official language of America. Thereby striking a two-sided blow for Black enlightenment(I mean culturally, not colorfully). The elimination of the offensive English language, and the promotion of a language that has been unfairly stymied by white oppression. He also said he expects a drop in white SAT, and IQ scores, proving once and for all time, that black underachievement was all because they had to learn to speak English.

35. Rainbow Coalition
    8:39 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

This needs to be investigated further.
    If the democrats take the house and senate I have been assured the Rainbow Coalition will receive a large grant to be used for that purpose….less hugh admin fees of course. Oh! And, don’t pay attention to #5 Al Sharpton, he is just trying to get some of my grant money.

36. Japrick
    9:29 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Seems like I saw this in color. Let’s just say that Cam was pretty pale.

37. wow
    10:14 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

34 – Subtle racism, bro.

38. catdaddyd
    10:57 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Maybe it’s beastality, only a jackass would celebrate/look at me when getting thumped.

39. Dave Ball
    12:35 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

I like how he was drawn with a beer gut…I’m guessing the tie-in to “Hello Kitty” is the whole Panthers playing like Kittens…but since Steve Smith (black) derided Cam (black) for sulking on the bench instead of taking mental snaps and cheering on Derek Anderson (the other one), the whole racist thing is crap…sophomore slump?? sure…but teams are preparing for him after his rookie season surprise…the criticism is fine…he was overrated to begin with and with RG3 playing out of his head early, the critics are coming out in force

40. Joker blows
    6:57 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

Of course it’s racist. Everything is racust

41. bluesince66
    8:03 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

26 is about the only one that made any sense in this post. I was wondering as someone else was,what in the hell does this have to do with anything UK.

42. Scott
    9:58 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

How is that racist?? Or “subtle” racism, 37? That’s laughable.

So, if a high paid athlete is criticized, it’s okay of he’s white but racist if he’s black?? Geez, get real.

Newton is fair game like any other pro QB. STFU with the racism crap. Beyond weak.

43. Big Blue Coming at You
    10:18 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

I think saying it’s racist is racist. There ESPN!

44. Chicago Chris
    10:34 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

#34 Back to the bunker.

45. Scott
    10:35 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

Even if the color version looks like he’s white, it’s not racist.

Geez, some people will grasp at anything. The Al Sharptons of the world have made too many people weak, with a selfish sense of entitlement, instead of being a responsible adult who wants to work to make their life and society better.

The world is tough on everyone at times, regardless of color. We’re all treated poorly at times. Quit crying and man up, work hard and anyone can succeed. Don’t look for excuses. That’s a sure way to fail.

Sorry, I’ll get off my soap box now. Whiney cries of “subtle racism” just hit a nerve.

46. Chicago Chris
    10:36 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

#42 I think 37 is saying 34 was being subtly racist, sarcastically. 34 is proud of his racism. I’m 45, by the way.

47. Chicago Chris
    10:38 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

I agree, he’s a pro athlete, he’s got to learn to handle criticism. When you’re getting paid millions to perform, you should expect this when you don’t. An editorial cartoon poked fun at Cam Newton, boo hoo.

48. Scott
    11:06 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

46, thanks.

I probably over-reacted but so many are so quick to cry racism. It just gets so old.