Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

tipton2

The 2012-13 season is upon us. However, the guess here is that the Cats will not be able to improve upon last season’s performance, which saw losses to hated rival Indiana (which didn’t even make it past the Sweet 16 lol) and Vanderbilt (which is more known for its academics than athletics). To stay apprised and educated, follow me on Twitter @NotJerryTipton. Here’s the weekly notebook:

*Collide: After Jon Hood scored 18 points in Kentucky’s Blue/White Scrimmage, coach John Calipari told reporters that the Madisonville native “can’t play any better than that.” Wow. It’s not often you hear a coach publicly mock one of his players like that, but for Cal to tell any and everybody that Hood will never ever improve no matter how hard he tries? Shocking. It can only be assumed that Hood privately confronted his coach after making those statements, and possibly even threw punches, because he didn’t even get in the Northwood game. Subsequently, Hood presumably was forced to apologize to Calipari (against his will, in all likelihood), because he did play a few minutes against Transylvania. It’s not often that a top 3 team has its season derailed by dissension before the first official game, but that appears to be the case here.

*Only God Knows Why: On Tuesday, it was reported that former UK player Jules Camara was wanted in Lexington on felony gun charges. This gives John Calipari and the Kentucky program a black eye that it did not need. Since arriving in Lexington, Calipari has publicly made an effort to reach out to ex-players, and has repeatedly said that anyone who plays for UK will forever be a part of the program. In other words, Jules Camara — who is a part of the program — is being accused of committing a felony. It will be interesting to see if the UK players can block this out, though the guess here is that this distraction will catch up with the Cats at some point this season. If they ultimately fall short of the national championship, it’s safe to say that JulesGate will be the primary culprit. It’s not often that a top 3 team has its season derailed by dissension before the first official game, but that appears to be the case here.

*Care: On Wednesday, UK coach John Calipari and the Kentucky players held a telethon for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. This does not bode well for Kentucky. While some players on UK’s roster (Nerlens Noel, Sam Malone) are from the Northeast, and were personally affected by the storm, other players on the team (Jon Hood, Alex Poythress, Archie Goodwin) are from the Southeast, and really don’t have a dog in this fight. So what happens when, say, Willie Cauley-Stein (from Kansas) doesn’t put forth the type of effort in soliciting donations that Brian Long (from New Jersey) does? I’ll tell you what happens: A fistfight. Calipari is known to engage in this type of attention-seeking behavior, but he probably should have thought this one through, because it’s fraught with danger. It’s not often that a top 3 team has its season derailed by dissension before the first official game, but that appears to be the case here.

* On this date: On this date in 2011, as Kentucky was about to tip off its season, it had been over 13 long years since the Cats had won a championship. 5 months later, thanks solely to a Kendall Marshall sprained ankle, the drought finally ended.

Article written by Not Jerry Tipton

17 Comments for Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

1. Why let this guy post
    12:03 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

Why do you continue to let this guy post…

2. Really
    12:10 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

Just can’t get NJT. All he does is put UK down and if you continue to pst his garbage I will never come here agian. You should be ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. RYNO
    12:11 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

That’s exactly right NJT! I don’t think that’s exactly right #1. According to me, everyone is exactly right, but I guess I’m not exactly right about being exactly right. I guess being exactly right is not always exactly right even if it is exactly right that I’m not exactly right.

4. Chief_cat
    12:11 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

It does not bode we’ll for KSR if at least one or two readers don’t take NJT seriously. Love the NJT postings!!!

5. Mark
    12:14 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

What’s wrong with you morons?!?! Can you not tell NJT is totally tongue in cheek, sarcastic, and just playing Devil’s Advocate vs. UK??? I laugh my A$$ off every time I read this post. Truthfully it’s probably what many haters (Billy D. etal) say about us all the time because they can’t find legitimate beefs. Read it, enjoy it, and let it go.

6. Jughead
    12:14 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

NJT makes my privates feel tingly.

7. Gotcha #5
    12:18 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

#5 Calm down hoss. I put that up every week so you genius can go all to hell. I’m laughing my ass off at you. Just like everyone else who acts like it real.

8. tltaworl
    12:27 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

“I’ll tell you what happens: a fistfight!”

That was epic (yeah, its coming back)

9. The Sad Truth
    12:30 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

Uh, Marshall sprained his wrist, not his ankle.

10. TN Cat
    12:33 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

Are we sure NJT isn’t Gary Parrish?

11. KSRGraduateSchool
    12:34 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

NJT – Kendall Marshall broke his wrist, not a sprained ankle. Look like the fact checkers and the Not Herald-Leader were asleep on the job again.

12. Not Jerry Tipton is God
    12:42 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

@ 11

UNC lost to UK during the season. Marshall playing or not playing would have not affected UK cutting down the nets.

13. fb>bb
    12:57 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

NJT > RJT

14. PR
    1:20 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

Pretty good Kid Rock songs

15. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:12 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

8 – totally agree.

Ok, it’s obvious that the pyschology of the comments has taken a drastic turn, and it’s affecting the readers. For instance, there used to be SOME that thought it was real. Now, EVERYONE knows it’s fake. #1 and #2 used to be posts by people that were actually confused, but now they’re just to get guys like 5 to freak out (See #7, who’s laughing his a$$ off). Next step in the progression of these comments: fake freak out over fake “I don’t get this.”

16. RYNO
    3:12 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

That’s exactly right! I don’t think that’s exactly right #1. According to me, everyone is exactly right, but I guess I’m not exactly right about being exactly right. I guess being exactly right is not always exactly right even if it is exactly right that I’m not exactly right.

17. Porcino's
    4:20 pm November 9, 2012 Permalink

14. Impossible. I am almost completely sure that there are no “good” Kid Rock songs. He’s almost as bad as Nickelback.