Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

tipton2

The season is over. To stay apprised and educated, follow me on Twitter @NotJerryTipton. Here’s the weekly notebook:

*I’m Goin’ Down: This has not been a good week for Kentucky fans. The season ended Monday, and immediately Big Blue Nation started worrying about which UK players would be leaving early for the NBA. As many as five underclassmen have been rumored to be declaring for the Draft (Kyle Wiltjer isn’t good enough), which means that Cat fans should expect many more sleepless nights until the April 29 deadline. And to make matters worse, many preseason publications have released their 2012-13 preseason polls, and most of these polls have UK rivals Louisville and Indiana in or near the #1 spot. In other words, not only will Kentucky probably lose all their best players, but their most hated adversaries will be really good next year. Any way you look at it, Big Blue Nation can not be happy right now.

*I’m On Fire: This has not been a good week for Kentucky fans. Last Saturday and Monday night, several UK fans set fire to couches, flipped over cars, and generally caused a ruckus all over Lexington, casting a negative light on the city. By comparison, there were no such acts of vandalism in towns such as Chapel Hill, NC, Bloomington, IN, Lawrence, KS, etc. If a blue chip recruit is trying to decide where to play his college basketball, it stands to reason that he would much prefer to play at a location where his car isn’t in danger of getting overturned and his couch isn’t likely to be set on fire. The University of Louisville, for example, was quiet as a mouse on Monday night. In fact, it was even reported that the only noise emanating from the UofL campus at midnight Monday was “a soothing sound that resembled gentle weeping.” Leave it to Louisville to make Lexington look bad.

*Cover Me: This has not been a good week for Kentucky fans. Last Saturday night, Kentucky played Louisville in a game in which UK was favored by 9 points. However, the Cats failed to cover the spread. In other words, Louisville overperformed and Kentucky underperformed. This very well may make it exceedingly difficult for John Calipari to convince recruits to come play for him, especially when one realizes that rival coaches are very likely to use this against him in recruiting. To compound matters, Kentucky played Kansas two nights later, and was favored by 7. If not for a late blocked shot by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, they would have failed to cover that spread as well. Regardless of where your rooting interests lie, you are naïve if you think high school superstars don’t notice what the Kentucky basketball team did last weekend.

* On this date: On this date in 2011, Kentucky was coming off a Final Four loss to UConn. The Cats would lose 3 of their top 6 players in the NBA Draft, and there were many questions surrounding what kind of team John Calipari would be able to field the following season.

Article written by Not Jerry Tipton

40 Comments for Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

1. JonHoodsPineapple
    12:33 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I was curious all season how this post would look today.

2. uk1983
    12:35 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

great. Probably required reading at the Lexington Herald by everyone NOT named Jerry Tipton.

3. bosshogg24
    12:36 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

This is the most useless column ever written! Whoever is in charge should do away with this “Not Jerry Tipton basketball Notebook. It is a waste of time and space, wake up!

4. GoCats2010
    12:38 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

3. I bet you hate Tomlin too

5. HicksPickSix
    12:40 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Amazing. I love the Boss song titles as headers. Well done, sir.

6. Where is O.H.
    12:40 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I’m a gonna go out and shoot some guns off, this article was so good.

7. AylortheImpaler
    12:45 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

hahahahahaaha. “The season is over.”
    bahaahahahaaaaaaaa

8. Mark
    12:53 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I must always be reading Tipton’s write ups incorrectly – they ALWAYS come off with a negative protrail of what is going on in the UK’s basketball progam. Give it a rest!

9. SECOnNotice
    12:57 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Brilliant. Best Not Jerry Tipton yet. Amazes me that some people on this site still don’t seem to quite get it.

10. manbearpig
    1:00 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I always wanted to see how NJT would spin a championship season, and needless to say I was not disappointed

11. uklaw95
    1:02 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I just assumed people were acting like they didn’t get it to be stupid. No?

12. Um8
    1:03 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Just not funny! Wore it out a long time ago.

13. SexnNursinHomes
    1:03 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

8- I hope you are kidding. You can’t be that naive. If you are…. well NJT, you just baited another…

14. DustBuster
    1:04 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

what kind of name is not jerry anyway?

15. xcoach
    1:05 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

What planet do you live on? UK just won the NCAA and all you can do is find things wrong. These things (other than a handful of out of control fans) are not problems. I will take a win any time in the NCAA tournament whether they cover the spread or not. I am a fan, not a gambler. A win is a win and that’s all you need to do to win championships.

Don’t worry about who is coming back – focus on the great players we will have coming in. Would it be great if they all came back? Of course. Would you give up your job at the Herald to leave and make millions in another position? I hope this was satire. By the way we may be surprised at a couple of the decisions about coming back. You are only in college once and when you leave it’s all business the rest of your life. College is hard work but great fun!!!!!!

16. Nate
    1:06 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

If u dont get that this article is poking fun at the negative jerry tipton of the herald leader u should b reading another website!!!

17. uklaw95
    1:06 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I guess I could be wrong……

18. Bluez
    1:08 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

luv’n some NJT today!!!! That was good 🙂

19. JTA
    1:09 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I always have a hard time trying to decide which is more amusing: the actual NJT article(s) or the goofs who react like it is actually Jerry writing on KSR and actual/legitimate articles.

Combined though, they are a fantastic package

20. DustBuster
    1:09 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

sources say everybody to the league. sources say cal to knicks. sources also say they have no idea what they’re talking about. AD says shut up.

21. BigBlueCats
    1:12 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

15-please tell me ur kidding. The part about recruits not wanting their car flipped was pretty damn funny. And I really hope as long as this has been around that people are not oblivious to his articles. How much clearer does it get NOT JERRY TIPTON. Either that or they dont know who the real Jerry Tipton is

22. bsquared
    1:15 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

15- face palm

23. Kenny Banya
    1:15 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

ONCE AGAIN NOT JERRY TIPTON IS COMEDY GOLD!!!!!!! Comedy Gold Jerry!

24. CatGrad7072
    1:20 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

This doesn’t bode well for the Craft Center trophy case.

25. gottodoit
    1:21 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Pitino, Paterno, Petrino.

26. shimsky
    1:33 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

how do people not get this? It doesn’t bode well for BBN…

27. Rae
    1:38 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

“a soothing sound that resembled gentle weeping.” Hahahahahahahaha
    You’re right NJT, recruits definitely noticed what Kentucky did last weekend. Such a horrible week lol.

28. #8banner
    1:59 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Matt, This NJT blog is getting old and stale, just like Tipton himself. Perfect time to let it go.

29. St. Ides
    2:04 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

That was funny. I wonder what Tipton’s opinion is about his picture used on the site? Probably something like “Damn rapscallions! Print media is where the professionals are!” lol

30. gossie21
    2:17 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

NJT, you forgot to add that Calipari still has fewer National Titles than NBA draft picks (h/t Rick Bozich).

We still need to work out or Pitino Envy, I suppose.

31. Carl
    2:57 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe NJT overlooked the late night meeting Calipari had with NCAA president Mark Emmert on Monday, Mitch Barnhart was there too. This does not bode well for Kentucky.

32. KYinMontana
    3:21 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

NJT is priceless – don’t stop. It’s one of the reasons I read and listen to KSR daily, from afar. Utmost respect and appreciation for Thomas Beisner’s writing this past season. Several of his pieces are Hall of Fame destined — and to think English is his second language (I assume his first language is Kentuckian?). Seriously, hats off to Thomas. This KSR site, everyone involved, it’s top shelf. Much enjoyed and appreciated.

33. Still Celebr8tin
    3:49 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

NJT,
    I was so afraid of a letdown this Friday. Just like the CATS, you delivered. I look forward to next week’s post after Nerlens and Shabazz declare for UK!

34. East Kentucky Infidel
    3:54 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Bring it NJT! This was not a good week for Kentucky fans, it was a great week! NJT gets it!!

35. xcoach
    5:08 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

My bad. I haven’t been on this site that long and was speed reading, skipping the title. I was pretty PO’ed as you can see. Didn’t know Matt made fun at Tipton’s expense. Forgive me.

36. Donald Hurt
    9:40 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Jerry Tipton’s problem is that none of his blast’s @ Kentucky’s basketball program can ever get off the ground.We as fans sure had a bad week following our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!! Enough said;our progam speaks for itself,always has and always will!!! Go University of Kentucky Wildcats!! PS:Our UK hoopster’s did’nt do to bad either,and watch out;this year could mean a trip to Omaha baby for our baseball cats.Don’t forget our women’s softball last year.Seems to me we’re always in the running for some prestige accomplishment.Have a good night Jerry,I’ll be praying for u still.

37. ukfan
    9:44 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Is he joking. what an idiot

38. Drew Franklin's Tongue
    9:46 pm April 6, 2012 Permalink

Yawn… These posts lost their novelty and humor like 6 months ago. I typically skip over them, just like football posts.

39. PLEASE
    1:46 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

PLEASE STOP POSTING THIS CRAP MY GOD WHO CARES ABOUT NOT JERRY TIPTON NOTES. PLEASE!

40. Jenny Craig Pitino
    9:52 am April 7, 2012 Permalink

Not Jerry Tipton should have his own wing in KSR hall of fame!