Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

tipton2

The 2012-13 season is mercifully over, and despite having the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country, Kentucky failed to make the NCAA Tournament, and were unceremoniously dispatched in the First Round of the NIT by Robert Morris. Hard to see things being any different in 2013-14. To stay apprised and educated, follow me on Twitter @NotJerryTipton. Here’s the weekly notebook:

*Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning: Last week, Louisville’s Russ Smith announced that he would be returning to Louisville for his senior season. This is bad news for Kentucky on a couple of levels. First of all, it draws attention to the fact that Kentucky has never had player return to school because he loves it so much. When Kentucky’s players are on the fence (e.g., DeMarcus Cousins, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Nerlens Noel, etc.) they always end up leaving. (The fact that there are exceptions to this only proves the rule.) Second of all, it gives Rick Pitino yet another arrow in his recruiting quiver. Immediately after the championship game, Smith’s father told reporters that Russ was definitely gone. However, Smith apparently loves and respects Pitino so much that he completely ignored his father, and did what Pitino told him to instead. In other words, Russ Smith cares more about Rick Pitino than he does his own father. It’s like Pitino always tells players who are contemplating a jump to the NBA, “If you want to do what’s best for me and my family, come back. And I talked to some scouts, and, ummm, they said you should definitely come back. Gotta go. #L1C4.”

*Living in the Promiseland: John Calipari has repeatedly said that he wants to coach a Kentucky team that goes 40-0. Frankly, the fact that he would so brazenly thumb his nose at over a century of Kentucky basketball tradition is more than a little unsettling. Kentucky has had several championship teams, and even an undefeated team in the past, yet he doesn’t respect them at all, and is just content with making every team that preceded him an afterthought. In order to get the reaction of UK fans, I asked 89 year Gertrude Lilywhite what her thoughts were on Calipari’s intention to cast a negative light on every team Adolph Rupp ever coached. Her response, verbatim: “Huh?” In other words, she couldn’t believe her ears. And I doubt she’s the only one.

*Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain: In a recent interview, 2014 UK commit Karl Towns said his goal is to be “the greatest Wildcat who ever lived.” This does not bode well for Kentucky. In order for the 2014-15 Cats to flourish, egos must be shelved and all individual goals discarded. However, 18 months before he even puts on a Kentucky uniform, Towns is already telling anyone who will listen that all he cares about is himself and his own personal legacy. Towns hasn’t even played his senior season in high school yet, but you can rest assured that with every award he wins and accolade he collects, John Calipari winces. Kentucky First, Cats Forever? Apparently not.

* On this date: On this date in 2007, some Kentucky fan somewhere was proudly sporting a t-shirt that read “Ushering in the Billy Gillispie Era.”

Article written by Not Jerry Tipton

16 Comments for Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

1. slimflannery
    12:17 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Always good for a great laugh each Friday…almost as much as those commenting on the post who think it’s real.

2. giggity
    12:18 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

The ‘on this date’ is actually pretty funny, and probably true.

3. Seven Eight Nine
    12:20 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

HEY THIS GIY SHOULDN’T BE POSTING HERE. HE’S NOT FUNNY AND HE’S SO NEGATIVE.

Just kidding. Funny as always NJT

4. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    12:21 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

“This does not bode well for Kentucky.” It’s not Friday until I read that.

5. Hmm
    12:40 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Will this be the first time everyone “gets” it?

6. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:41 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Hmm) Doubtful lol. But we can dream can’t we?

7. Cotton Mash
    12:58 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

(The fact that there are exceptions to this only proves the rule.)

8. Rei
    1:28 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

idk why this gets its own slot. it isn’t funny or creative.

9. Dee W.
    1:31 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

“The fact that there are exceptions to this only proves the rule” … LOL – Hilarious

10. Rockfield, KY
    2:11 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Most people on here acting like they don’t get it, actually do get it. So if we get it that they do get it but act like hey don’t get it, who’s really getting it? Too $hort did say that we should be getting it while the getting is good.

11. scooter
    2:13 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Jerry Tipton is the biggest idiot I ever read!!! surely he don’t get paid for being STUPID!!must have graduated from loserville!

12. Funnyjerry
    3:40 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

People kill me!!! This guy gets his rocks off on making people mad! Most are catching on, but some still just don’t get it!! At first I thought he was serious, and the biggest prick ever, but once u realize that he’s just making for good commentary, u do pay any attention to him!! He really loves UK basketball, and knows we are the best!! Go Jerry, and GO BIG BLUE!!! U PRICK!!

13. Fed Up
    4:11 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

I’m sick of seeing this BUM post on here every week! Now I’m drawing my line in the sand, if KSR let’s him post one more time I’m stopping my membership here! I encourage others to do the same remember it just takes one to start a movement!
    This bum is the most negative D bag I’ve ever read. Why does Mat Jones continue to let this go on! I’m starting to think he’s a closet UL fan. First this guy now every other post is something UL related! So let’s stick together and send Mat a message. If we drop our memberships maybe he will drop Tipton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Fed Up
    4:53 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

And since no one responded to me I shall drop my non-existent membership

15. 13IsAnAttentionWhore