North Carolina: Making Kentucky Fans Feel Better Since 2012

I know that feels, bro.

There weren’t two better teams last year than North Carolina and Kentucky.  I know when we played each other, it wasn’t the 1 v. 2 matchup everybody wanted.  Thanks, UNLV.  And I know that UNC lost to Kansas after losing Kendall Marshall to injury, but all season long, North Carolina showed it was at least a strong second, and never got a fair crack at a championship they deserved.  There’s no doubt that a UK/UNC final would have been a better game, and while I still believe Kentucky would have won (the second time), it would have been far closer.

Fast forward a year, and 2012’s pair of dominant teams find themselves in unfamiliar positions.  Even though both schools have had NIT visits within the last five years, being on the bubble is something that is, and always will be, foreign to both schools.  And rightfully so.  But each team now sits at 15-6, and has to fight to make the tournament over this last stretch.  That’s not something we’re used to.

ESPN’s North Carolina homer, Robbi Pickeral, acknowledged yesterday that the two are in the same miserable boat.  And it’s been awhile since college basketball has seen that.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, you’d have to go back to 1974 to find the last NCAA tournament that didn’t feature either Kentucky or UNC. Yet despite their recent victories — each team has won five of their past six — the programs find themselves in precarious positions: No. 10 seeds in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology, prior to their overtime victories on Saturday.

Ms. Pickeral breaks down all the reasons for the mutually disappointing years, but the important part of all of this is pretty simple: at least we’re not the only ones in the country who are dealing with unexpected struggles.  There are plenty of teams that could be doing better, but North Carolina and Kentucky always expect to do well, and this year, um, aren’t.  Neither team is terrible, but who anticipated that both would be so established on the bubble?  And that’s why I’m thankful for North Carolina this year.  Like OJ was thankful when Ray Lewis was investigated for homicide, I appreciate that all the negative attention is no longer on us this season.

Unlike Duke, Indiana, and Louisville, North Carolina is a team I root against only in championship games, and only because I don’t want them getting any closer to our Eight.  Other than that, I believe there’s a tremendous amount of respect in Kentucky for the Tar Heels.  That’s why everyone I know is excited to have them back on the schedule in a home-and-home, while nobody’s really clamoring to bring IU back (or at least, not as many).  North Carolina, if not our equal, is certainly a peer.

And, ultimately, misery loves company.  So thanks, North Carolina, for being a wallflower with us this year.

Also, I didn’t want to take the “Farmer” commercial from the top of the page, so here it is again.  If this isn’t the best commercial you’ve seen in the last year, I don’t know what channels you’re watching.  Seriously, I don’t have cable.  But this is some Mad Men-type stuff right here that absolutely captivated everyone in the room where I was watching the Super Bowl.  Legitimately unbelievable, and I’m not even a Ram guy.

Article written by Corey Nichols

49 Comments for North Carolina: Making Kentucky Fans Feel Better Since 2012

1. Buzz
    9:04 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

God said, I need someone to smoke all this pot, cook meth, and beat their family in a drunken rage. So God made a farmer.

2. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    9:07 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Enough said.

3. Really?
    9:09 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Do people who are “captivated” by commercials have cats that use lasor pointers on their people?

4. ATB (Always True Blue)
    9:19 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

That was classic Paul Harvey. All we needed at the end was, “And now for the rest of the story. Good Day!”

5. Miguel
    9:20 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

“Legitimately unbelievable” – Wow! Usually I feel bad to see so many ppl make fun of Corey, but this proves he brings it on himself. Legitimately unbelievable??? Those are two of the dumbest words ever to be placed side by side in the history of written language.

6. Miguel
    9:21 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

… And to describe a truck commercial. Wow

7. Closer?
    9:22 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

I know it’s not the point of the story, but how could the rematch of last year’s UK/UNC game be closer? Davis blocked UNC’s game winning shot at the buzzer.

8. Still the best
    9:23 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

give me the Jeep and USO commercial giving props to our military men and women

9. JROBTMFHT
    9:24 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

I did not like the Dodge/farmer commercial. I grew up around farmers and I love the agricultural community and all of the things that they contribute to society, but the ad just ticks me off. It had very little to do with the actual product, other than the fact that a farmer might use a Dodge. It also used religion to sell people on a product, which I am wholeheartedly against. If you want to exaggerate the capabilities of your product to make sales go ahead, we’re all accustomed to that, but don’t manipulate people by channelling their deepest beliefs to push your shoddy wares.

10. stillHere
    9:26 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

I find it unbelievable that this was your favorite commercial. The best one by FAR was the Panasonic VCR commercial “God Made Richie Farmer”

11. Corey Nichols
    9:29 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

10 – I’d watch that.

12. Janks
    9:31 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

@ #7….Read again. He was saying that a UK/UNC final would have been closer than the actual final vs. Kansas. Not the first game against UNC.

13. I hear ya 2. I never pull for UNC.

14. Well, except for when they played Michigan back in the early 90’s for the championship. Other than that, no.

15. NYCWildcat
    9:41 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC is a classless program and has been for twenty years. Don’t know how you can root against them in championship games only. Only team more hated, in my eyes, is Duke and that’s a toss-up.

16. Joel
    9:46 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

That was a truly awful commercial. In that scene at the end, behind the dodge seemed to be a factory chicken or pig farm. THIS is your farmer, Dodge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dGvZiHUJ0

17. CatsFan12
    9:49 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Buzz is filled with so much ignorance. If it weren’t for that farmer that you poke fun at you wouldn’t be able to clothe or feed yourself. Dodge wasn’t only trying to sell a product. Dodge was trying to show support of a person that usually doesn’t get support from fellow Americans. It was a commercial that Dodge put out the ad to raise awareness about the agriculture community. Many Americans have lost the knowledge of agriculture and what the agriculture industry even accomplishes. Whether you are a corporate farm or a small time organic farmer chances are they are the hardest working, most sincere people you will ever meet. They all have one common goal of feeding the growing world population. Many times there work goes unnoticed but we are only a short time from 2050. Everyone needs to start paying notice to the agriculture industry as it changes in the upcoming years. It will be detrimental to the whole world. Paul Harvey, good day!

18. sammydog
    9:50 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Everybody knows real farmers drive a Ford. Pretend farmers drive a Ram.

19. Rae
    9:52 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC is pretty low on my hate list.

UL, Duke, Tennessee, IU, Ohio State, Florida, Vandy, Ole Miss (they were actually the first team I ever hated;it has nothing to do with Henderson) Then comes UNC.

20. Nick Papageorgio
    9:52 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Thank you for reminding me why I don’t read the comments section. I needed that (1, 5, 9, 16)

21. John Ellis
    10:04 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

The family farmer has been all but wiped out by corporations, like most fields. Let’s be real.

22. John Ellis
    10:04 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

ESPN’s BPI has Kentucky as 29th. The RPI much lower. Inscrutible.

23. J Moore
    10:17 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Buzz,that is one of the most ignorant and uninformed comments I have seen. I hope some of you assholes, that are trash talking farmers, go hungry one day so you might appreciate what farmers do to feed and cloth the world. All some of you dipshits know is go to the store and pick up some items and have no idea what it takes to get the food to that point. Some people would starve to death if they had to grow their own food. I guess I am trying to explain something to the younger generation……..nevermind.

24. Hestheman
    10:20 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

God can do as he wants, after all he is God.

25. Marcus L. Owens
    10:21 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

One game season; February 12 @ Gainesville. Win and everyone will shut the *uck up about UK being disappointing.

26. Bean
    10:27 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

OK enough already with the stupid farmer commercial. People who are calling this the greatest commercial ever need to go away. From where I was watching, everybody in the room just kinda stared in disbelief at the commercial and then after 30 seconds just gave up and headed for more pizza and beer. Sadly, when we all came back Paul Harvey was still talking. That commercial was AWFUL!

27. J Moore
    11:04 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Bean I guess ignorant comments come from people like yourself due to underage drinking. No way you can be an adult with that comment. Like to hear your comment about stupid farmers somewhere besides behind your computer. I guess your mom powders your behind before she puts you to bed each night.

28. We Farm You Eat
    11:04 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

Bottom line the b.s. about the corporate farms taking over is getting old. There are a hell of alot more small & weekend farmers out there who when you add up all that they produce dwarf the all the corporate farmers put together. Our farmers still managed to produce enough food this past year (one of the worst drought years since the depression) for everyone to have a food supply once again. Our food doesn’t come from kroger, it comes from those farmers represented in the commercial. Fact is, with out our farmers we are a third world country and a little acknowledgement every once in a while is not a bad thing.

29. J Moore
    11:07 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

28. Could not have said it better myself.

30. Say What?
    11:13 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC is way down on my hate list as well. UofL and dUKe will always be at the top!!

Also, I own a Dodge 1500 and you couldn’t give me 2 Fords or 3 Chevys for it!

31. Take that
    11:34 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

I saw PAUL HARVEY and muted before I heard a syllable.

I live in Chapel Hill and the UNC fans that cross my path are obnoxious, especially when they find out I went to KY for undergrad. It reminds them of their second-class basketball citizenship.

ps- as a contractor I worked for Cryzewski and Dean Smith’s ex-wife. I was working for the head of Duke Hospitals on the Monday in 1998 when he came back sad from the Regional Final in St Petersburg. I kept silent. Sweeeeeeeet!

32. And that
    11:42 am February 4, 2013 Permalink

How do you say ‘Carolina Way’ in Swahili?

33. Corey Nichols
    12:07 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

18 – My Grandaddy would agree.

34. Wildcat Willie Says
    12:41 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

UK is not on the bubble. They will finish no lower than 3 in the SEC. They will most likely get to the Cahmpionship game. They will be seeded no lower than 6 in The NCAA tourney. Get off the bs. Tell me who in the SEC could possibly finish higher than UK other than the Gators and Bama. Go ahead tell me, I’ll be looking.

35. caveman2
    1:47 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC* has been committing academic fraud for the last 20 years to keep their athletes eligible. Please google UNC and academic fraud. No show classes, phoney independent study and illegal grade changes. This would get UK the death penalty 10 times over. I think we have a new Bryan the Intern….

36. Coyote Hunter
    2:00 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

If you complain about farmers, then don’t talk with your mouth full. I farm, I drive John Deere and Ford…Go Cats

37. Corey Nichols
    2:13 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

35 – I was talking about the basketball program, not the overall University. And who cares what UK would have gotten right now? Stop complaining about perceived inequities, and get back to serving fries.

38. FarmerPhil
    2:44 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

To be completely honest I thought that commercial was horrible. When I found out some people liked it I was very surprised.

39. I Know What I'm Talking About
    3:51 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

!!!Brilliant post!!! Sorry you’re catching so much flack for saying something positive. Some people don’t even realize the poison they’re spewing at everyone. I totally agree with your perspective on UK/UNC and I definitely loved the commercial. I’m a veteran and I appreciate the people that make this country great. We wouldn’t be America without farmers. Thanks, Corey.

40. Jorge Pancho
    4:30 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC lost a game last season by 37 points – that does not a top-2 team make.

41. ukbradstith
    5:01 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Yeah that commercial was pretty great. I’m probably a little younger than most people that remember Paul Harvey but he had a great voice. I had never heard that and it was pretty powerful. The whole room got quiet where I was.

42. ukbradstith
    5:05 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

…and number 9, how is that using religion to sell a product? Even if it was (it wasn’t), they use sex and violence and everything else to sell crap, so what’s the problem?

43. rainingblood
    5:16 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

that was sooo kick ass!!. Paul Harvey……good day.

44. caveman2
    5:35 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Proof you know nothing Corey…Bryan the Intern 2. It impacts basketball as well. Google Julius Peppers and UNC* and Academic scandel. He played on a final four team. Check out the data in regards to who was attending all of those bogus african american courses and you will see basketball players were in there. If you are the best Matt can do then this site is on its way out…

45. lesigh
    6:06 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

#5, It was an absolutely indeterminate degree of non-measurable badness.

46. You truly are a caveman
    6:10 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

20, add 44 to your list. 39, awesome comment.

47. don't usually do this but
    9:39 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

The only brilliant quality of the farmer commercial was its correct assumption of the inflated egos that some members of the ag community have. Seriously, society is a very complex web, a wheel dependent on the functions of all its parts. The world needs farmers, yes, but the world also needs doctors and teachers and scientists and inventors and artists, etc. and needs them in equal proportion. Pandering to one group’s ego without even a second devoted to the product being peddled at them is an attack on intelligence. A small percent of every profession is just so up their own ass with self-righteousness they think the world just has to revolve around them. And confirming this illusion just to sell them a product is far from being complimentary or appreciative, it’s just plain insulting.

48. Ferd man
    10:39 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

That may have been the single worst commercial ever made.

49. caveman2
    5:19 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Nice 46…or should I say Corey. Using an alt is pretty pathetic. Pointing out that UNC’s basketball team has been cheating for 20 years is not hate. It is fact. Go do some research.