Noel-Poythress Best Rookies Since Webber-Howard?

Fox News likes to bill themselves as fair and balanced, but I think that their sports network might be guilty of a slight exaggeration in a post about the retooling process that top college programs are currently undergoing. In their breakdown of what Kentucky is bringing in next season, the author made the bold claim that Nerlens Noel and Alex Poythress could be the best rookie big man tandem college basketball has seen since the days of the Michigan Fab Five with Chris Webber and Juwan Howard.

Don’t get me wrong, Noel and Poythress will be very formidable and bring more front court talent than most teams in college basketball will ever have, freshmen or not. The only issue I take with it is that I think Kentucky just lost two freshman members of its front court that will be very difficult to top. Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist were All-Americans, could go one and two in the NBA draft and won a national championship. To assume that Noel and Poythress might top that before they even step onto campus seems a bit hyperbolic.

That being said, I’d love nothing more than for Noel and Poythress to prove me wrong by topping the accomplishments of Davis and MKG. I just think that’s a tall order.

Article written by Matthew Hays

15 Comments for Noel-Poythress Best Rookies Since Webber-Howard?

1. TrueBlur
    6:04 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

2. Big Blue 66
    6:07 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

KSR is predicated on hyperbolic deductions, and you want to take exception to someone else…please and I agree that davis and MKG will be hard to top but still, were you alive with weber and howard played?

3. Tomas
    6:16 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Its the summer. People have to make extreme and outlandish comments to keep people interested in their writings. And #2 needs to realize the difference between KSR making absurd proclomations and Fox Sports. Fox is supposed to be a credible source that gives reliable analysis.

4. Perry Noid
    6:16 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Let us hope that this administration has not previously, and will not in the future, follow in the footsteps of a Mich. program led by that staff associated to that Fab 5. God forbid. Hope is never a part of a successful plan. It should be clear that TODD (gone), Barnhart, CAL, the board, would never allow one infraction. Otherwise, we are all in the same dream the fab 5 and UM fans experienced.

5. Matthew Hays
    6:32 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

2) I was two-years-old.

6. AlwaysTrueBlue
    6:32 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

It might not be so far fetched. Poythress is a better scorer than MKG and Noel might be a better
    defender.

I say let’s wait and see though.

7. Nodumbukfan
    6:32 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Best freshman duo since Davis and Gilchrist. Get it right!!

8. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    6:38 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

I know one thing for certain–Noel or Poythress neither one would grab a rebound, take two steps before starting to dribble the length of the floor into the corner and call a time out when they have none in the National Title game. That alone makes them better. Just saying.

9. Yeah Right
    6:41 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Let’s get real. I agree with you. Noel and Poythress can hopefully be better than Webber and Howard (and I was alive to watch them) but that’s just ridiculous to even think that right now. They haven’t even stepped on the floor together yet. If they are even close to Davis and Gilchrist, we’ll win the national title again. I hate Indiana but they are going to be very tough to beat… even if Noel and Poythress are that good. They were very good this past year and they just got better. Our one of a kind team last year had trouble with the Indiana team that just got better. They are going to be tough. And I HATE saying that because I can’t stand them. The truth is the truth, though. I don’t think Louisville will be that good. They will be good but I think we’ll be able to take them. Let’s win #9!!!

10. ky_99
    6:58 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

If FOX NEWS said it then I agree……….

11. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    7:11 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Poythress will be our small forward. Noel and Wiltjer are center and power forward, respectively.

12. jaaayyyyy
    7:28 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m not trying to give the Fox writer credit, because whether he is right or wrong is probably by complete accident, but perhaps MKG is not considered a front court player. Jones and Davis were the 5 and 4 last year for most of their minutes, not Davis and MKG. Noel and Poythress will be 5 and 4 it appears. If you consider the 3 to be front court then the OPs point can be taken.

13. Big Blue 66
    7:42 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

5. thats the main thing I dislike about this site, no one that writes on here is old enough to really know what they are talking about. And thats not totally focused on you Matthew Hays, but to everyone that writes on here. If you have anybody trying to write for you thats over 40, please sign them up and let them give input on just about everything put up on here.

14. jaaayyyyy
    7:47 pm May 18, 2012 Permalink

Well, it appears the 3 is formally considered part of the front court. I have mistakenly considered both “wings” to be guards or guard/forwards, with a two person front court in the paint. Wikipedia says otherwise. I realize the coach can have a four person frontcourt or backcourt if he wants, but as far as a standard point of view, it appears the 3 is in the frontcourt.

15. KD
    3:04 pm May 19, 2012 Permalink

14) jaaayyyyy you got to be one of the “under 40’s” the guy was talking about if you have to go to wikipedia for clarification…..granted the three-point shot has muddied the waters of traditional offensive schemes.