Noel #1 on at least one SI NBA Draft board

(There were at least 100 better pictures available of Nerlens Noel on the internet. This one had John Robic’s hair in it as well, though)

Yesterday we learned that Draft Express was projecting a slew of lottery picks from this year’s Kentucky basketball team. Nerlens Noel was projected behind Shabazz Muhammad as the #2 overall pick. Sports Illustrated’s NBA Draft analyst Chris Mannix sees it a bit differently though. Mannix’s prediction is fueled by comments he has heard from NBA executives. Mannix has Nerlens Noel as the #1 pick on his NBA Draft Big Board.

“Noel hasn’t done much to separate himself this season– he has failed to crack double figures in scoring in four of his last five games– but NBA executives have been unwavering in their belief that the Kentucky freshman is the No. 1 pick. “He’s not a guy you plug in right away and expect to carry you,” said a Western Conference executive. “But he has a motor, and with bigs the hardest thing to find is a motor. Darko Milicic was one of the most talented big men you ever saw, but he didn’t have a motor. It might take (Noel) some time but so what? It took Jermaine O’Neal five years to get established.”

Alex Poythress checked in at #8 on Mannix’s list, followed closely by Archie Goodwin in the #10 slot. Mannix said that Poythress “continues to show flashes of brilliance , but consistency has been a problem.”

On Goodwin:

“Goodwin’s athleticism continues to impress NBA scouts. “Pound for pound, his athletic ability is as good as anyone in the NBA right now,” said a Western Conference personnel scout. “When he gets stronger, watch out. He’s really impressive.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

21 Comments for Noel #1 on at least one SI NBA Draft board

1. knightynight
    9:33 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

Boogie is about to finish the game vs the Raptors with 31pts and 20 rebounds! BEAST

2. Ridge Runner
    9:42 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

Have we became infactuated with NBA Draft Boards?

3. AaronJ
    9:43 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

4. Indiana Tom
    10:00 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

Get a job with the NBA draft boards. That seems to be your top priority. BS!

5. OneAndDone
    10:05 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

Wah wah wah. Some of you pansies need to poor the piss out of your cereal bowl. Get a life.

6. Shelbyjoe
    10:12 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

Again, where are hs AAs behanan and blacksear? Siva-A senior and former hs AA, looks to be a 2nd rounder… What the heck is pitino doing to these kids?

7. Star-Stud Siva
    10:16 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

I have to be in top 3. Give me a break, I have the whole package and we beat UK this season. Point Blank, slamma jamma Period!!

8. Butthole
    10:24 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

The KSR comments section continues to get dumber and dumber. Matt must really be getting paid well for each site view to allow the Card and IU trolls to sh*t up this place.

9. nassau65
    10:27 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

troll smell is strong again. losers. c’mon ally patrol a lil bit.

10. Ridge Runner
    10:27 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

5– That brought up a memory.

First, did you know that pansies are one of the toughest blooming flowers there are? Able to withstand extreme cold temperatures. Fascinating if you look at how some people are compared to them. Anyway…I actually drank piss from a canteen in an SF Course in 1979 outside of Ft Bragg. A survival option that our particular instructor thought it to be a requirement. Mind over Matter permits ya to do some wild things. Ahhh memories.

11. Ridge Runner
    10:30 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

8– I have to admit KSR deletes many when they take time to do so. But to be honest…this is the way it will be and we may as well get used to unless the day comes we begin registering and the site costs each of us. I’m all for it but it appears Matt isn’t.

12. Syrin
    10:35 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

So if motor is such an issue, how is Poythress ranked so high? That’s his biggest issue.

13. nassau65
    10:35 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

11. I’d gladly pay a fee. A troll-free KSR would be a wonderful thing. And i agree, the better UK becomes, the more trolls we see. Even if Matt doesn’t want to charge, we still should have some volunteer moderators at the very least. I know of at least a dozen that would gladly help. Myself included. And you probably would too, you’ve been here as long as i have.

14. Ridge Runner
    10:37 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

13…absolutely my friend. I hear ya.

15. nassau65
    10:37 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

add to 13. But i guess troll clicks count too when your’e selling ads.

16. Mark
    10:45 pm January 4, 2013 Permalink

ridge & nassau, make that 3 of us.

17. Newblue
    12:06 am January 5, 2013 Permalink

I already told Drew I’d be glad to moderate. I’m all for it! Hate the trolls and the guys from competing sites are just bad.

18. RockinRon
    1:19 am January 5, 2013 Permalink

Watch what happens with the underdog CATS from here on. Can’t wait ’til Nashville & Atlanta!

19. Chinese handcuff
    10:21 am January 5, 2013 Permalink

If poythress can play NBA basketball… I’m enrolling my dog in the draft. He disappears better than David Copperfield during the games… But i hope he goes on and has a great NBA career and make 16,945,657,878,868 and pays off our national debt and is crowned king of kings on earth

20. CAUKFAN
    3:26 pm January 5, 2013 Permalink

Noel has been showing steady improvement.

21. Wildcatsteeler
    6:33 pm January 5, 2013 Permalink

Noel will be a great NBA player. His hand speed on steals and motivation are hard to find in a player his size. If he doesn’t go top 2 somebody made a huge mistake. And I’d take Goodwin or Stein over Poythress any day. Some guys just don’t have the killer instinct. He’s big and talented so dominates most players. But the NBA isn’t anywhere near most players. I hope I’m wrong but I seldom am about basketball.