No Kentucky/Tennessee basketball game in Knoxville this season

tennesseelosing

Even though we still don’t know the SEC basketball schedule for the 2013-2014 season, we do know this: there won’t be a Kentucky/Tennessee game in Knoxville. UT coach Cuonzo Martin confirmed the news yesterday, and it will mark the first time since the 1952-1953 season that Kentucky hasn’t played a regular season game in Knoxville.

The scheduling change is a result of the conference doing away with divisions in basketball. Because Tennessee was one of five conference opponents UK played twice last season, they won’t play twice this season. The only SEC team that UK will always play twice in the regular season is Florida, its permanent conference “rival.”

How do we feel about this? Sad, mad, indifferent? Grateful we don’t have to make the trek to Thompson-Boling?

37 Comments for No Kentucky/Tennessee basketball game in Knoxville this season

1. mike w
    9:18 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

No sellouts in Thompson-Boling this year.

2. asdf
    9:21 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Too bad. A downside to expansion. This is one of the easiest road games for UK fans to go to. For a lot of Cat fans in SE Kentucky, it’s their best chance to see the Cats in person.

3. BigBlueAces
    9:21 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

I, for one, think it sucks. I understand conference progression, etc., but I also like tradition. I think the SEC should always have geographic rivals playing twice.

4. just sayin
    9:23 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

thank heavens I do not have to give one penny to the city of Knoxville or the state of Tennessee.

5. Gman
    9:30 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

After last year, down there. who cares!!!!

6. asdf
    9:31 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

3, yes, the SEC needs two permanent rivals in basketball. Ours should be Vandy and UT.

7. James b
    9:33 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

That’s unfortunate. The UT rivalry is one that I’ve remembered since a kid. Plus, that means next year they’re not in Rupp. Not a big loss for us, but they’re one of the better SEC games each year.

MrSEC put forth a more versatile schedule without divisions that kept rivalries intact. I wish the SEC would be more forward thinking like that. It’s been a while since the article, but if I remember correctly, our permanent Home-Home opponents were UF, UT, USC, Mizzou, and maybe Vandy. I’d like to see that and it would help our conference SOS I would think.

8. gokycats33
    9:37 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

There goes my chance at seeing the CATS roll the vols on the way to #9!

9. Tyler's Abs
    9:37 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

UT will probably have to fire an assistant coach to make up the shortfall in revenue.

10. JackB
    9:38 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

A UGA booster friend says that he knows UGA’s home games and knows there are no UK or UFA games in Athens this year. They obviously know the schedule – just release it already.

I haven’t been to Rupp since Cal became coach, but I see 2-4 games a year a neutral sites and on the road. I want to know here I have to go to see my Cats. Since no game in 2 of 3 closest areas for me (Knox and Athens), I’m hoping for at least Columbia and Auburn. Saw us in Auburn last year. We didn’t play in Columbia last year.

11. mike
    9:39 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

does this mean we’ll be playing mizzou twice?

12. VaKat
    9:42 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

That joint is Rupp South. Cats are 14-11 vs the Vols there all-time. Compare that to the abysmal record UK had a t Stokley. Was looking forward to administering some pay back after last year’s embarassment. UT should have been UK’s eastern rival. They’ve played over 200 times. Florida makes no sense. If Donavan ever leaves basketball will be irrelevent there again.

13. blueblue
    9:43 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Don’t care this year, but will care next season!!

14. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    9:46 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? There should be more than one permanent series. Tennessee should be one of them. How the hell did we get stuck with Flordia? I know they’re usually good, but theres not a ton of bad blood there. When UT is good, its usually a great game. Remember how much we hated Bruce Pearl?

15. CatsFanInKnoxville
    9:51 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Not cool…it’s usually my only chance to see the Cats play each year. Boo

16. getting old
    9:51 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Sad to hear; I go all the way back to my college days & remember the Bernie & Ernie show rolling in to Memorial Coliseum. Them & Vandy are more natural rivals than Florida; but I’m getting old.

17. D
    9:51 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Sad. A Saturday afternoon game with KY road blues on that orange court is nostalgic to me. My 1st remembrance ever of a UK bball game is Ronnie Lyons v. the Vols in knoxviile.

18. blueblue
    9:54 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Word is that UT requested to never have to host UK AGAIN. They still have nightmares of…JODIE MEEKS in Knoxville!!! LOL

19. RC
    10:05 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

This is the pain of progress. Sorta. UK is still playing UT every year, just not home-n-home. It’s not like we’re leaving them off our schedule altogether.

The SEC is the best and most successful conference in all of college sports. Expansion created scenarios like this and we just have to live with them. I don’t think anyone would give back a portion of their increased TV money in order to preserve a 2nd game with UT every season. Kentucky is rolling in more money than ever before due to the SEC’s growth. Stuff like this is part of the package. Deal with it.

20. Oogie
    10:08 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

c) INDIFFERENT. It hasn’t been much of a rivalry for years.

21. rick
    10:10 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Ray Mears wouldn’t like it. Where i come from Tenn. is KYs biggest rival and lots of fun.

22. a completely different rick
    10:32 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

I know a ton of folks that get Vandy season tickets for the UK game. I guess that may start to dwindle as time goes on. I may get rid of mine. But knowing Vandy, they will make you pay for the tickets before the schedule comes out as usual….

23. bung
    10:32 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

maybe we can get Sewanee back on the schedule now…

24. Me
    10:33 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

No world will go on. No big deal.

25. jhnny
    10:44 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

I know Florida is the big team right now- but their fans don’t even care about basketball. I would much rather play Tenn and Vandy home and home than Florida. I would really like to play all three.

But Kentucky should play at Tenn and at Vandy every year. This is sad.

26. BBN Gary Oldman
    10:45 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Not really a heart breaker but I would’ve loved giving them a beat down in Knoxville after that embarrassment last year against them

27. MAB
    10:46 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

I guess we will not blow UK out by 35 points this year like last year. Oh well.

28. BrucePearlsBBQPork
    11:10 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

A day without Orange is like a sunny day…

29. UKBlue1!
    11:13 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

I like doing away with the divisions. I don’t like the 18 game schedule because it gives UK less flexibility in the non conference. Playing GA, USC and UT 2x sucked. Now we will get MO,LSU, ARK, ST. and Al 4x in three years Id rather have it this way.

30. ukbradstith
    11:21 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

Went to TENN for the game 2 years ago. The UT fans were awesome, had a great time, and one of the nicest arenas around without a doubt.

31. Dan
    11:53 am August 14, 2013 Permalink

The fridge has the best movie cameo in Windy City Heat. They stole the fridge’s fridge.

32. jo Dee
    12:06 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

31) I agree. Went to T.B.A cal’s 2nd year at u.k. Tennessee fans couldn’t have been nicer. Their arena is really nice also.

33. tltaworl
    12:26 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Would rather have UT than UF. I can make it to Knoxville much easier than Gainesville. I think the majority of fans would say UT is a bigger rival than UF. But who is UF going to have if not us? Vandy & UT are natural.

34. barn
    12:47 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

too bad. I hated to see pearl go because competing against characters like him make it fun for the fans, and now this. maybe the game will be picked back up if more teams are added to the sec in the future.

35. KB
    1:30 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

This is sad, sad news for me. We have a group that has traveled to this game from home for over 20 years now. This should be a mandatory game, they could at least add it to their weak non-conference schedule.

36. faknjcy
    1:40 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

37. ransmith
    6:52 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

I could care less that we are not playing UT twice. If there can only be one team that we play twice each season, the only logical choice is the one with 2 national championships, Florida! They are consistently the stronger team and the one that will help bring the most national exposure.