No apology needed, Coach Cal is right

I’m tired of all this criticism and the public apologies from last night’s tirade. The fact of the matter is, Coach Cal is right. Terrence Jones is a (expletive) selfish (expletive). Of course, Coach Cal would like to have those words back – or at least not have them on national TV – but that doesn’t change the fact that he meant exactly what he was saying.  Again, Terrence Jones is a selfish (expletive).

Seeing Calipari lose his cool on Terrence Jones last night makes me wonder how bad it really is between the two.  Think about it, this is a guy who coached the supposedly uncoachable Demarcus Cousins last season and never lost control.  Not once did Calipari run off the bench throwing f-bombs at Big Cuz.  You know why?  Coach Cal doesn’t drop f-bombs and he’s always in control.  Always, until last night.

I don’t know of anyone who chooses their words better than Calipari.  And despite what some of you think, you’ll very rarely get an f-bomb out of him in practice. VERY rarely. So for him to throw a flurry of them at Jones last night, you know he meant business.  It’s not like Jones was back-talking or mouthing off to provoke his coach either. He’s too quiet for that. His play on the court brought on that verbal onslaught.

You can agree or disagree with Coach Cal’s choice of words on your own, but this guy right here sees nothing wrong with it.  Terrence Jones is a selfish (expletive) and I wouldn’t mind seeing him be reminded of that more often.  Last night wasn’t the first time this season he was ballhogging.  He’s done it all year.  We just don’t always notice because the kid can flat out score.  It’s okay when he’s scoring 35 against Auburn, but when he’s 3-17 against UNC we have problems.  Until he learns to share the ball and pass out of the double/triple team, Kentucky is only going as far as Jones’ “me first” game will take them.  And I’d rather rely on Coach Cal’s offense than the play of one guy.  I don’t care who it is.

Stay on that (expletive), Coach Cal.  We’re gonna need that (expletive) to get it going soon.  We have a (expletive) SEC (expletive) Championship to win.

Go (expletive) Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

119 Comments for No apology needed, Coach Cal is right

1. Wow
    3:05 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Matt Jones in a landslide. I don’t necessarily disagree, Franklin, but……….DUCK!!!!!!

2. JGB
    3:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Yes, [email protected]*K, Yes

3. What?
    3:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Eh…it is what it is. So he got on TJ last night for being a selfish %*@#$!! It happens.

Certainly not worth all the uproar!

4. Willie and Waylon
    3:11 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hell (expletive) yeah!!!!!!!!

5. 193
    3:11 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Last year, we had the situation with Orton leaving the bench. If I recall, there were a few times Big Cuz talked back as well. so, this is nothing new.

Let the man do his job… no apology needed Coach!

6. senn from richmond
    3:11 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

F^@& yea!

7. terrence jones
    3:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

expletive you, Drew Franklin. I will beat the (expletive) out of you when I see you

8. kyrobman
    3:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

We all lose our cool, and have probably said things we wish we wouldn’t have. I don’t agree with the language but I understand. Plus I am guessing TJ knows just how made Coach was. Sometimes all control is lost so…….At least he didn’t kill Eloy during the game, which it looked like he wanted to. If he is getting grief over this then how would he explain that?

9. Tobias Funke
    3:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

He’s the only player with a will to get to the basket. I for one and am all for his ball-hogging until we get another player over 6’6″ who can find the hoop (no, not darius on his tip-toes, I still like him playing atleast 5 feet from the basket). We have to score around the basket in SEC play and unless its Jorts getting putbacks against inferior opponents TJones is the only one who can do it.

10. Sean
    3:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I remember when I was 18 years old. I would work hard most of the time, but occasionally I needed a little kick in the rear (figuratively) with some strong words to get me back on track. Sometimes asking nicely just doesn’t cut it. I could care less that Cal was cussing at TJ. That’s why the players respect Cal, he’s not afraid to tell them the truth in a way they can understand. TJ will be a better player from this. Cal didn’t need to apologize, but I appreciate the fact that he recognizes how much scrutiny he is under as the UK coach and wants to cover all of his bases.

11. UKIreland
    3:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree, Cal has nothing to appologize for. Having said that, i can clearly remember Cal coaching Memphis & he had called a TO to draw up a play in the last seconds. When Tyreke Evans messed up, they had to call another TO, Cal can be clearly seen saying “What the **** are you doing?”.

Nothing wrong with dropping f-bombs on TV, it’s all part of what takes place in the heat of competition. I’m sure it’s not the first time TJones or any other UK player heard it from Cal, it won’t be the last!!!

12. hersheyisabear
    3:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

A frail society we have now a days.

13. JimmylovesDykes
    3:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Seems a little harsh, as badly as we were sturggling last night we needed someone to step up and but the team on his back. Im not gonna say that TJ isnt selfish at times but I didnt really have to big of a problem with how he played last night. He might have diserved the rip he got from Cal last night, but for sure doesnt diserve a rip from you today.

14. kyrobman
    3:14 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

8-Mad not made

15. Catatonic
    3:15 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

GO (expletive) yourself Drew, you stupid (expletive). Totally classless and uncalled for.

16. PharmSchoolFan
    3:15 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree with everyone. He’s been selfish. I was at the LSU game and he took 7-8 shots in a row. When the ball touched his hands, I said “Well here’s another shot.” Terrence just needs some tough love to get his passing back. He’s showed it before; he’s just trying too hard to score right now. I think he’ll be okay, but I know if Cal had a couple more players, Terrence would sit out a game to see what Cal wants; be all Tubbyesque and such. Just give it time; last night was a wake up call. Hopefully TJ will improve in that aspect.

17. eelman
    3:18 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Another not (expletive) funny post from Drew despite his repeated attempts. Yawn……

18. bung
    3:19 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Good post Drew

19. ThatFan
    3:23 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

So does anyone know of a youtube video with this on it or can anyone tell me what he said? I was at the point where I turn the TV off and began to use a few words of my own, so i did not see what he said.

20. Hacksaw Jim Duggin
    3:23 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Great post!

21. GoodLord
    3:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

15 and 17 are totally (expletive) gay for each other.

22. chief_cat
    3:25 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

anyone else watch TJ play and think of Antoine Walker?

23. BG Man
    3:25 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think he could have said what he said to Terrence Jones last night to Demarcus Cousins last year. It would have created a volatile situation. A good coach, like Cal, knows who he can and can not say these to. I could see Cousins walking off the court or creating an embarrassing scene.

24. Kampus Korner
    3:26 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree. It has become increasingly apparent that Jones is a selfish player. This can’t be healthy for the rest of the team. Coach Cal’s frustrations erupted last night. I see where Cal apologized and Jones accepted it via their respective twitter accounts. However, Jones needs to stop being selfish if we are to have any hope of progressing in the NCAA tournament. He should be the last person to take a three point shot.

25. stratblend
    3:27 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Jones in SEC play :: 2 Assists, 10 TOs, and he’s double teamed every time he catches the ball.
    In comparison, Cousins had 7 Assists, 8 TOs in his first 4 SEC games last year…. on a team where outside jumpers were far from guaranteed.

Selfish (explitive) indeed.

26. ThankfulCat
    3:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

i wish he had said those things to Daniel Orton so we could have seen his sorry selfish ass cry on national TV.

27. willdcat1
    3:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

wait – coaches swear at players? How long has this been going on?

28. Give'em Hell Cats
    3:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Classless and uncalled for post. Theres a difference in being selfish and trying to carry your struggling team on your back and falling short. Jones played his ass off last night, things just didnt work out the way we wanted. Im sure nobody is more frustrated than he is with himself, so there is no need to write crap like this to kick him while he’s down. Its one thing to hear it from your coach, another thing to read it from some blogger who probably has never played bball in his life.

29. Bundy
    3:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The people that are upset by this, obviously never played for many different coaches. They definitely didn’t play for my old college coach. If we didn’t get called a MF once a day, we thought that Coach Douglas didn’t care about us anymore.

30. True Blue Fan
    3:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The thing is TJ is one of our most talented players. And our talent played like crap last night! Coach no reason to apoligize! These boys need to become men on the court! I read somewhere that this team isn’t a contender this year…. If they will play together they are! We have the talent They just have to come together! I’ll back the coach and the team all year!!

31. JEREMY
    3:31 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

What cracks me up is how the media runs wild with this and acts like bruce pearl is a saint and everybody should leave him alone.Bias??

32. Lower Arena Old Man Sleeping
    3:31 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

My phone has went dead 2x today because UL homeboyz on twigged telling me our coach has no class. I for one think TJ needs to touch the ball every possession. We will be ok. Teams grow in time and they will make mistakes, it happens. Oh and **** all the haters, they are mother****ers and GO BIG BLUE.

33. Bob Knight
    3:34 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

At least he didn’t head butt him.

34. TOM JONES
    3:35 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

COACH CAL APOLOGIZING PROVES THAT HE SHOULD NOT HAVE USED BAD WORDS. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WHO THINK OTHER WISE.

35. bolognaweiner
    3:40 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree at times Jones can be selfish, but last night if he wasn’t selfish we lose that game by 10, easily. If you look at the stats both lamb and knight shot the ball more than Jones and knight only had one more assist and he is our point gaurd. I don’t see anyone calling them selfish today. The fact of the matter is we see Jones go out and get 35 and the next day people like Drew Franklin ride his nuts and sing his praises. But when the kid struggles they write ignorant post like this.

36. KSR Spy
    3:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

At least he didn’t make him get an abortion….

🙂

37. Billy Clyde
    3:42 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If I had been using those words on TV, everyone would have thought I was a disgrace. I’ll just go sit in the bathroom now.

38. Hey Tom Jones
    3:46 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Suck a (expletive) (male anatomy) you (expletive) (female anatomy)!

39. pccatsfan
    3:46 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

When did KSR turn into Jerry Tipton and the LHL? Second post today where they’ve attacked an individual player. Very bush league. I have no problem with Cal’s f-bomb tirade. I trust him to push the right buttons to motivate players. I do have a problem with Drew and BTI ragging on individual players and inciting hate from some of the fringe fan base.

40. old-school
    3:46 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The best discipline is the bench – but Cal was unable to build this team with a bench deep enough to afford him that option -so in frustration Cal is left to profanely berating his players on national television.

I served in the military and believe me – I’ve been on the receiving end of a few tongue-lashings from drill sergeants and it’s something any young man should be able to shoulder – that’s not the point. The point is that Cal lost control on national TV and that’s a problem.

Even worse – Cal is such a “player’s first’ coach that he’ll take disrespect from guys like Orten, Cousins and even Jones. When Orten left the bench last season – a real coach would have benchedhis but for about three games.

Playing at Kentucky is a honor. These kids aren’t doing us a favor by coming here – we’re granting them the privilege of playing for the greatest program in college history. That notion has been turned upside down by Cal and it hasn’t taken long for players to learn how to take advantage of that.

41. Mike1
    3:47 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Give Jones a break, he is young and learning. Cal needs to figure out what motivates these kids as individuals and approach them accordingly. If you watch the game again take note of what got us back into it – 1. the press which we abandoned towards the end and 2. Jones taking the ball to basket and getting fouls on the Bama players.

42. matt's mom
    3:47 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen.

43. 430 West Vine
    3:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Not once did Calipari run off the bench throwing f-bombs at Big Cuz. You know why?

Because of this…… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62p-dEfUZM

44. lightenup
    3:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

@TOMJONES Cal apologized because he did not want to create a distraction and it is not good for recruiting if parents see him cursing at players. If you ever played basketball in your life, this would not be a shock to see a player curse at a team or specific player. Emotions run and so do choice words.

Also, this is probably not a great thing to post directed at an 18 years old with national media directing toward him every night. Things like this make the pressure 10x worse for an 18 year old who is still maturing. Way to help his confidence Franklin. I’m sure Jones will read this…

45. John McClane
    3:49 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If this is supposed to be a Mad Lib, I choose to use fruits as my words.

Go “Granny Smith Apples” Cats!

46. SexnNursinHomes
    3:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

good Drew- good post. actually great post.

47. Eat A Dong
    3:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

(F WORD)you Drew Franklin….and “my comment is awaiting moderation”…well F u too.

48. TOM JONES
    3:52 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

38, YOU SUCK MORE (EXPLETIVE) HORSE (MALE HORSE ANATOMY) THAN A (EXPLETIVE) MARE!!!!!!!!!!

49. Dark Helmet
    3:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

What the expletive is everybody’s expletive problem? Drew is expletive joking about the expletive. I don’t think Jones is being selfish on purpose most the time he’s just having a hard time feeling the flow. Cal tells him to play harder does that mean score more or pass more in his mind? I think Cal panicked just as much as the team last night. That and Bama was the hottest team in the country at one stretch and obviously there’s no such thing as a Jamichael Green foul so he got to stay in the whole game and kill us.

50. wildkitty
    3:55 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

How ridiculous a country where the most exciting thing on tv is our coach cursing? I curse like a sailor most of the time and no one writes a story about me. The fact of the matter is that TJones stepped up when the team was in dire straights. I am not saying he shouldnt have stepped in/up sooner than he did. And for that-all of them should have stepped up sooner. I think Cal should stay on all of their asses… and obviously those guys are willing to take the heat as long as Coach is willing to give it to them. If those boys are willing to take the heat then we should let them and coach be. Go Big Blue!

51. TOM JONES
    3:55 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

44, DON’T MAKE ME CHOKE SLAM YOU THROUGH RUPP (OHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAH, BROTHAAAAA)!!!!!!!!

52. lightenup
    3:56 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

He never said anything to Big Cuz so this didnt happen to him haha

53. Bob Knight
    3:57 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

51-Chill out. It’s not unusual for a coach to yell at a player. Just like it’s not unusual to be loved by anyone.

54. Sammydog
    3:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal has been doing this a long time and knows every motivational trick in the book. I would not be surprised if the outburst wasn’t somewhat calculated. He is trying to find the right buttons to push with these players because he can’t bench them for long. When you can’t use riding the pine you have to try something else. Cal and Jones are having a battle of wills right now. Jones will eventually understand Cal always wins. Then he will be a player. Geez. Teenagers are tough to raise.

55. Kernel Sanders
    3:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Riding Jones is acceptable. Cal calling him out for what he believed was selfish play is acceptable. Calling the kid a m-fer to his face and degrading him like that MAY have been understandable in practice, but NOT on a national TV broadcast. Hence the apology, which definitely was needed. And I agree, this is a stupid post. A third rate blogger with no athletic experience does NOT have cause to pile on Jones like this. Jones is an 18 year old kid that obviously respects Cal, even including this incident, so let the kid learn and back off.

56. bolognaweiner
    3:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Why didn’t someone run onto the floor and say to Cal, “Draw up an offense to beat a 1-3-1 you dumb(expletive)”

57. charlie
    4:04 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

awwww naww hell nawww boi, 36 done up and done it.

58. Hey Tom Jones
    4:04 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

48) That is more (expletive) like it! Bout’ time you showed some (expletive) TESTICLES.

59. WHA WHA WHAT
    4:07 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’m just not sure how 13 shots is ball hogging. he needs to get the ball out of double teams quicker but there are players in the pros still having trouble with this. There are players at the college level jacking up 25 shots a game.

60. Harley Wells
    4:09 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

61. Ac14
    4:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with Calipari calling him that, but don’t defend Calipari like he never cusses at his players. I have seen him drop the f-bomb several times during televised games and he called an espn reporter a jagoff on TV without thinking twice. Calipari is an arrogant prick but Kentucky fans look past it because he is their arrogant prick. He told the kid from Louisville last year that he was messing with the wrong MFer when he got in a shoving match with Bledsoe. I think he has a right to bust the balls of his players to show them who is in charge, but don’t paint him to be the smoothest guy on the planet. I have had several close encounters with him outside of his public persona and he uses the f-bomb more frequently and fluently than any person I have ever meet.

62. HoundDog
    4:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

It is between Coach and player, if player cant handle it, then said player will go pro or transfer next year.

63. Dark Helmet
    4:11 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’m going to blame Bama ultimately for this loss. I’m going to blame Cal for playing into Bama’s lucky hands from the 3 point line by sagging in the paint Bama hit 50% and got 21 points from deep. Jorts should also take the fall for this one though he just had 3 points and was 1 for 4 from the line.

64. cm
    4:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

the thing i don’t understand, Is why we NEVER unleash brandon knight. I understand we need a true point guard, but sometimes when the game is on the line, you let your scorers do their thing, and knight looks less and less comfortable driving the ball every game because it’s obvious he’s only focusing on running the offense. Yes I know its a double edged sword and he’s doing what he’s told, but occasionally.. let the boy play basketball like he has his entire life.

65. Glenn
    4:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I am sick and tired of the media selectively choosing which coach(s) they denounce due to language. Their golden boy ( Coach K) drops more F-bombs in 1 game than Calapari will all season, yet you never hear a word about him.

66. Joe
    4:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

59. Did you watch the game? My biggest problem with Jones is that he thinks he’s a shooting guard. I kept yelling at my TV for him to move his rather large posterior back into the pain where he belongs. But no, he wants to show off his ball handling and perimeter shooting.

67. KING_REX
    4:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#32 Louisville fans telling you that Cal has no class? WOW! Hypothetically what would Pitino have done in this situation? A.) Calmly encouraged his player with positive reinforcement. B.) Hugged the player and said we will get through this together. C.) Cheat on his wife, lie about it, and abort a baby. Class Act!

68. Joe
    4:15 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

61. Why is jagoff profane?

69. .....
    4:16 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’ve thought he was a balhog all year. I hate ballhogs makes the team worse. He is worried about one Thing and that is his draft spot in June/July. I for one would rather loss 10 games without hm on our team than loss only 6 with him. It isn’t fun to watch and it isn’t fun to cheer for! I say slap him done below Hood on the rotation win or loss. It isn’t like we are going to win it all this year.

70. Kanter Banter
    4:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal is right. However, that type of screaming and cursing should not be in public. If TJ would just realize that his game would be so much more complete if he would pass the ball. His stock is not rising it is dropping and at this rate he may not make it in the 1st round. He is a tremendous talent…not since Mashburn have we seen a forward with this type of inside out game. However he’s blowing it…I have complete confidence that TJ will understand. 61) you are a jag off…I know Cal and if he drops the f bomb more than anyone you met…come meet me and I’ll let you hear the most f bombs you’ve ever heard, Please your pathetic!

71. cm
    4:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#61. if anyone in the spotlight as much as cal uses the fbomb more than anyone you’ve ever met, you need to get out more because you clearly live in a bubble.

72. MammaKin
    4:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

TJ needs to get the ballboy spot for a few games don’t even let him in….

73. echo 1
    4:21 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The man was mad. He wasn’t mad in a annoyed kind of way. He was pissed, and rightfully so. Cal has a great reputation with his players. Sure, the national media will jump on this. It is their job to make a mountain out of a mole hill. But me? I have no problem with it. I am certain Cal has been on Jones about his selfish play in practice, which is why he is now coming off of the bench. If Jones has a brain, he will listen to Cal. I think his record of getting players to the next level is pretty solid.

74. Captain Obvious
    4:22 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If it wasn’t for TJ last night, we never would have caught back up to Alabama in the first place.

75. The Oval Office
    4:23 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

You should’ve heard Richard Nixon!

76. PFunk
    4:26 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

TJ is a beast and we are lucky as hell to have him. He is what 19 years old? He is still learning and will get better and better. So STFU with all the selfish bs, he made plays and converted at the line to keep us in the game. No TJ = blowout last night. This site is going down the tubes. I rather read mm than this bull$h!t.

77. Whatever
    4:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I dont understand what the remarks r being made for? You can’t make me beleive that tj is all about himself and not the team!! I thought the kid worked his ass off at the end last night and he was the only one looking to do something with it the last 2 mins of game! Plus he just had a huge ofensive rebound and put back right before he got his ass chewed! He does take ill advised shots sometimes but not for one second do I believe he does this for only him and not the team! From what I see, when he is hitting shots you people call it aggressive play and when he’s not hitting you say he’s selfish and say he’s destroying the team!! Whatta joke! Coach has said numerous times he expects Terrance to lead us in scoring and rebounding every game then when he takes over cuz no one else will do anything, he’s selfish. Just don’t understand that one!

78. Cat Talk
    4:42 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal is a great recruiter but not a great bench coach. This isn’t the Conference USA. The SEC still has great athletes and teams that can win. Last year Cal won with talent and he still didn’t make it to the final four. This year he has less talent and is struggling badly to find a “process” that works for this team. There were some bad coaching mistakes last night, i.e. We are down 20 and Bama has to take Mitchell out of the game with 4 fouls. While he was on the bench we make a run and are down 6 when he comes back in. Not once in 10 min left did Cal have Darius post up on Mitchell and try to draw the 5th foul. I was at the game last night and I heard the things that Cal was saying to TJ the whole game not just the last play. He was destroying the kid. I’m all for motivation but it was over the top. Notice every time the players make a mistake they immediately look at the bench. They are constantly scared to get taken out and yelled at and they are playing that way. Doron is the only one that isn’t afraid.

79. WTFisAdrewFRANKLIN
    4:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

That snippet by drewfranklin was horrible. Cuz never got a F-bomb? Did you watch any of our games last year?

80. WhiskerBiscuit
    4:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Chill the (expletive) out people! Drew was making fun of the (expletive) situation! Cal said the last play was supposed to go to Lamb but a player took it instead……..that a selfish (expletive)!

81. Laker Cat 18
    4:56 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Ah the Live TV around UK basketball. You also have Orton’s, “I can’t M***** F*****!” and Patterson eating his boogers. Did P-Pat ever apologize for that? LOL

82. blue&proud
    4:57 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

jones is a vital part to the team, but he’s out for him self

83. Wash
    4:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The whole nation recognized that selfishness after Hat Gate. kentucky you got what you wanted, now man up and deal with it. If jones wasnt a “ball-hog” uk would have a few less W’s.

84. Tweeder
    5:01 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal should not have apologized for his words last night. Things are said in the heat of the moment by coaches and players. After the game you move on and try to get better. What he said needed to be said because for this team to be successful, the offense needs to go through Jones. I am sure the players say worse to one another. The people offended are probably the same folks who go to Rupp Arena and sit in the lower part of the arena and do crossword puzzles.

85. h2
    5:02 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

it was bad, coach cal needs to watch the film of the way he acted all night. Totally out of control from the very start, you would think that this was the 1st time he has seen his players, pointing where to go screaming from the tip. It was like watching 3rd and 4th grade coach telling the kids where to be, don’t they practice, yes I m talking about practice…practice. This may hurt Cal with the young players watching this on ESPN, but what do I know I just coach 3rd and 4th grade basketball.Go Cats!

86. DannyStayvethan
    5:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Guarantee you TJ’s ipod has some language on it that some of you wouldn’t approve of! He’s a big a boy, I think he can handle it.

87. Kernel Sanders
    5:19 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#85 If you called one of your 3rd grade players a m^%$#fer, how would the parent react. So why should an 18 year old parent react any differently. If I’m Jones mother or father, I’m not happy seeing my son degraded on national TV no matter how badly or selfishly he played. Its up to Cal to be the adult among 18-20 year olds and that is why he correctly saw the need to apologize. He should ride those kids as much as needed to bring out their best, but using that type of profanity is not done with class.

88. Kernel Sanders
    5:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

^ I meant “18 year old’s parent”

89. kybigblue
    5:34 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I am sure not many were surprised by the outburst. There are good arguments on both sides as to whether this is appropriate in public and on national TV. I wonder what his mother thinks or other parents whose son may be considering UK. Probably as much of a mixed reaction among parents as among fans. At least he didn’t hit him or throw a chair out of the floor.

90. kentuckyjoe
    5:52 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Drew, your head is someplace where the sun will never shine. This has to be the worst post of all time.

91. bung
    5:57 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Terrence played scared and selfish. Miller was awesome.

92. bung
    5:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Ligs can’t shoot

93. bung
    5:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Start Hood instead of Lamb for Jones and get some effort inside.

94. bung
    6:00 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal can wear a mask.

95. lindsey
    6:34 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

tj is bigger than cal tj get blamed for things he can’t control. in the george game he was throw a pass in order to catch the pass he had to leap in rhe air when he came down they cal a charging foul on jones there was no way if he caught the ball for him to come down without hitting the man guarding him. cal yelled at him like it was his fault. it was the man who throwed him the ball fault. knight don’t get yelled at like jones when he makes a mistake. jones in the AL. game get twice the rebounds of any player except jorts he got 4 offencive rebounds and got fouled and make 7 out of ten free throws. better average by for than all the Team except lamb

96. lindsey
    6:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

DREW THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANYONE TO ACT LIKE CAL ACTED LAST
    NIGHT. YOU TALK ABOUT TJ BEING SELFISH. HOW ABOUT KNIGHT TAKING 15 SHOTS AND ONLY HIT 5 IS KNIGHT SELFISH. HOW MANY REBOUNDS DID KNIGHT GET. HOW MANY ASSIST DID KNIGHT GET TJ HAD HALF THE ASSIST KNIGHT HAD PLUS IF JORTS HIT HIS WIDE OPEN DUNK HE WOULD HAVE ABOUT AS MANY AS KNIGHT. ARE YOU CONDONING CALS BEHAVIOR. YOU MIGHT AS WELL CONDONE PITINO’S BEHAVIOR ANYONE TAKING UP FOR CAL TALKING LIKE THAT TO HIS PLAYER HAS NO MORALS THEMSELF.

97. uk64
    6:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coach was just communicating in modern lingo.

98. WhiskerBiscuit
    7:00 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

We don’t know how these players act during practice or off the court. We’re not around them, CAL is! I think he knows who is selfish on the team more than we do. We don’t know how TJ acts. Im pretty sure he doesn’t listen like he should or Cal wouldn’t have acted like that. Coach knows best (unless it’s Billy Clyde)

99. Newtintheville
    7:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Ok, so fine, we get you think TJ is a selfish m-f Drew. It’s been clear for a long time you don’t like him. At all. I don’t like you and think you’re a pr!ck. So whatever.

I’m sure TJ is just as upset by your opinion of him as you are about mine of you. Get over yourself. And get a freakin job, some decent shoes (with socks), and maybe a pair of slacks ffs.

100. bob
    7:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Jones is selfish, Cal is right on this one

101. WHA WHA WHAT
    7:27 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

66-Yeah I watched the game, thanks for your concern.

102. Carl
    7:33 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Cal has been preaching to Jones for months to play team ball. I would blow up on him too. He prevented Lamb from running the play at the end of the game by cutting in front of him to take the pass and then launch a crappy shot. That is the act of a selfish MF !

103. Issel's two front teeth
    7:34 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#43 No Rick rolling on this site!

104. Issel's two front teeth
    7:38 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Lamb was open on the wing for a three, and we get that shot from Jones! Coach wasn’t the only one saying FSMF!!!

105. Jacob
    7:47 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Did this really need to be said, Drew? I understand this is a blog, but it’s a POPULAR blog that gets some national attention and the players do read, and you just lit into one of them and it was not your place to do so.

Just my two cents.

106. mike
    7:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I could”nt have said it any better 15.

107. JMFATZ47
    7:55 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This post is a disaster. Very poor piece of “journalism.” Unfair to Jones, period. Sometimes players press to get things going……..no need for this. I don’t think he is a selfish player at all to be honest

108. cats11
    8:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If you disagree with what Cal said, you probably never made it past intramural sports, (expletive)

109. jamborain
    10:01 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I was at the ESPN event Friday and was so proud of my coach. Last night was just a disaster. He really looked bad, as did our team. If you get to teach a kid every day and he does not learn at some point you need to look at yourself. Just win and this will go away.

110. chokecal
    10:09 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

ROLL TIDE!!! lol UK SUCKS!

111. Cool Blue
    10:55 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Got to say I think Cal’s explosiveness will get the point across to the players better than Tubby’s stare.

112. david blincoe
    9:59 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

can’t imagine anytime coach needs to call a young man that. other ways to get the message across.

113. WTF
    9:59 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

you are a terrible writer. period. i disagree with 99% of the shi# you put out on this site. Someone needs to step in and moderate the number of posts that you’re aloud. Terrible

114. WTF
    10:10 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

*allowed

115. Wow
    10:26 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

I swear to God that I am ashamed of the garbage that you post. How do you become a writer on a site like this with that sort of hateful inconsiderate trash. You’re no better than the piece of shi# espn spokesman who made the comments about John Wall’s lack of intelligence for not knowing his father. I have no desire to read any future posts from someone like you who has the audacity to call themselves a UK fan yet shows no compassion for or belief in our players. Just give it up man, you are EXACTLY what is wrong with sports in this world today. Shameful… If you’re trash was at remotely creative or partially funny i would reccomend that you just go root for another team and blog about them, but you don’t even have any talent bro? It’s actually quite histerical and mind boggling as to how you became a blogger on this “once upon a time” reputable site. Dumb asss selfish mother (expletive).

116. facklebottom
    11:25 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

Do you remember the scene towards the end of the movie “A Time to Kill” where Matthew McConaughey [which BTW, I (expletive) hate that guy] delivers his emotional final remarks to the jury? Basically he summarizes the events of what those rednecks did to Samuel Jackson’s daughter, of which include rape and a hardcore beating. “Yes they deserve to die and I hope the burn in hell”. At the end of his speech he says to the jury, “now picture that she’s white”.

I can’t help but think of this scene when I read this post. I want all of you to repeat the events of this situation in your head….

Done yet?

Now, picture Cal as Pitino.

Would you be making the same remarks? Probably not. I agree that the national uproar is ridiculous. However, Cal did the right thing in apologizing. Pretty classy for a popular recruiter, I mean coach.

Oh, and roll tide mother (expletive).

117. BlaineMan
    11:43 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with u on one thing here Drew. Calipari ran on the court droppin F-bombs @ Cousins plenty, just as he should have. Nothing wrong with it, unless you take it to Booby Knight levels.

118. boyfrombinghamtown
    1:40 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Can any of you lipreaders provide a transcript of the “Father-Son chat” from Cal. I was so disgusted at losing, I deleted the game immediately following the final buzzer.

Also, exactly what has been said about the final play several minutes after the outburst from Cal about Jones taking final shot meant for Lamb? Looked like no time for a pass to me but wish everyone would get off the kid’s and the coaches back. Do we really want to go back to Gillespie? Gotta take the bad with the good sometimes.

119. KyJones64
    10:17 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Hey folks, to me it aint no big deal, I mean . . . c’mon, yeah he got his but tore good on national TV. Terrence Jones is a big boy, he will handle this with Coach and move on, this is a team sport, it’s supposed to be tough, I stated in another post that if he (TJ) or any other player can’t take a harsh butt chewin then let them go to louisville, I personally think this is blown way out of proportion, it happens everyday on any hardwood court, Terrence will be ok, Coach will be ok and I am definately ok with it. GO BIG BLUE !!!