No. 6 UK Hoops takes on Alabama

In about an hour UK Hoops will take on Alabama in front of a sold out Memorial Coliseum. The Lady Kats who are 19-2 (8-0) look to extend their record eighth straight conference win to nine over the 10-11 (0-7) Crimson Tide. The Tide have yet to win a conference game, and now they step into a Memorial Coliseum where the UK women have won their last sixteen games, and are 44-2 over the last three seasons.

This team is having a special year and is led by the outstanding play of A’dia Mathies. The Louisville native leads the Cats in every statistical category. She is doing 15.9 points per game, 3.0 steals per game and shoots a team-high .384 percent from the 3-point line.

Ballin’.

This is the 37th meeting in the series between Kentucky and Alabama. The Wildcats lead the overall series 21-15, including an 11-5 advantage when the game is played in Lexington. UK has won six straight over Alabama after defeating the Tide last season in Tuscaloosa, 82-69.

UK also will recognize the 1981-82 team at halftime. Thirty years ago, this Wildcat squad posted a 24-8 record en route to UK’s first SEC championship and first appearance in the NCAA Tournament. This team has what it takes to do something special like the 82 team. A national title is the goal, and every win will help their seeding heading into March. BBN has done a great job supporting UK Hoops all year and the team will host another great crowd today. Basketball is hummin’ in the Bluegrass, let’s keep it foing.

Go Big Blue.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

26 Comments for No. 6 UK Hoops takes on Alabama

1. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    1:11 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, but is she single?

2. lol
    1:19 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

I like watching the women play ball as much as I like watching the men….almost.

3. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    1:24 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

LOL @ the John Clay story that teams are “running out of ways to beat Kentucky”. You mean like hitting a 3 at the buzzer?

4. Woo
    1:24 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Is it on tv

5. me
    1:39 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know what DirectTv channel the game is on?

6. foing
    1:45 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

I’m foing to watch!

7. How about
    1:45 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

hand size to basketball size ratio is about even between men and women.

8. Big Blue 66
    1:51 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

9 maybe but is rim diameter?

9. Henry Earl
    1:53 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

7 pretty stupid qualifier

10. yeahright
    1:54 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

I live almost four hours from Lexington. Came up for the UT football game this year (yay!), and took in the UK Hoops game on that Friday night, and the mens hoops after the football game. Needless to say, great weekend.

However, my main point is, that was my first college womens game in person, and man, the UK Hoops team is EXCITING! They play fast as you-know-what. A lot of teams are still about good three-point shooting (even if “set” shots from 1950) and who has the best post play. However, UK is VERY exciting. If you live in the area and call yourself a basketball fan, you owe it to yourself to see this team play. Wins over Duke and UT, this team is special.

11. Nike Elite Platinum Uniforms
    1:57 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

UConn wore my uniform today and lost at home to ND. Just sayin’.

12. Big Blue 66
    1:58 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

11. im with you on the rim size to basketball, it would probably end up in a few percentage points difference in their shooting, but why so much venom dude, did you lose your spot at the ymca to a girl or something geezz

13. #yeshomo
    1:59 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Your fascination with “ball sizes” is killing me man..
    I mean really.. So your watching on tv going..”gosh this ball size is killing me!”
    U got issues my man

14. Cat Fan
    1:59 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

#7 & #11 – UK Hoops doing just fine without your support!!!

15. James A. Naismith
    2:01 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like the ball size to rim size is something the ladies don’t want to discuss.

Let’s hide it!

16. Big Blue 66
    2:02 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

I guess the censorship from the all knowing KSR stepped in, guys, its really petty for you to take responses down unless there is inappropriate language or dueling idiots getting out of control.

17. James A. Naismith
    2:07 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

#7 – How about – So if dimensional ratio is important then let’s lower the rim too (since women are shorter than men).

That’s a slippery slope (and because of it, it wasn’t done). Why do you think that would be?

18. Cat fan
    2:10 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

Awsome job ladies!!! You make the BBN proud!!!

19. James A. Naismith
    2:12 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

We can make the court smaller too, since women can’t run from one end to the other as fast.

How about we shorten the length of the halves as well.

20. James A. Naismith
    2:17 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

If I was a woman I’d be a bit pissed that the someone who thought they were helping made this ball size change in the NCAA back in 1984 (and in the pros in 1997).

It’s reinforced the stereotypes that women aren’t capable of doing what men are (which I think is bologna).

Where’s the revolution?

21. Heisenberg
    2:39 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

What does “foing” mean?

22. Susan
    5:19 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

I never liked playing with the smaller ball, but whatever.
    It’s awesome to see the women’s team doing well. Go Big Blue ♀!

23. James A. Naismith
    7:53 pm January 29, 2012 Permalink

#22 – Susan – That’s nice to see Susan. Let’s see that women quit being treated like less capable people by the entities that we finance (NCAA).

24. Heretic
    1:35 am January 30, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know if the ball size thing is true. If it is, it makes perfect sense to me. Women are generally smaller than men. Smaller hands, smaller bodies…and thank God for it.

So what is the big deal with them having a proportinately smaller basketball. That makes perfect sense to me.

Some things are just common sense. Women ARE physically smaller. It’s just a fact of physical, biological life. That doesn’t make women inferior per se. It just means that they developed over time in a biological sense as physically smaller humans.

It’s political correctness gone reverse insane to think that women can or should be able to physically compete with men. The movies that have petite women kicking gigantic men are fiction. That isn’t real. If Zoe Saldana kicked me as hard as she was physically able to do so, I’d laugh at her. I used to train with a Gal who outweighed little Zoe by a good 30 pounds. It was muscle, too. This girl could not dislodge me when she attempted to practice her Martial Arts skills on me. I’m not some gargantuan muscle bound freak either. I’m 210 and 6′. Sometimes, I think those girl empowerment movies are going to cause some serious problems for our society. Our Army is going to start sending 5′ tall, 105lbs girls into battle expecting them to hump a ruck full of Ammo while carrying SAWs and firing one handed.

That shit ain’t gonna happen.

Let’s get back to reality.

A smaller ball is not a bad thing. It’s not insulting. It’s freakin’ common sense.

As for the height of the rim, what’s the big deal. Unless you want to make it more probably that they’ll all start dunking, what’s the problem. They don’t lower the size of the rim when they’re teaching my 10 year old nephew to shoot baskets. Why would they lower the rim for women?

25. Heretic
    1:39 am January 30, 2012 Permalink

When women can regularly get in the UFC ring and kick those guys asses, then they’ll be physically equal to men. Until then, it’s politically correct insanity to compare the physicality of the sexes.

26. Heretic