Nick Saban guarantees a Kentucky title in 2014

nick-saban-john-calipari

It’s crazy right? How in the world does Nick Saban — a college football coach at Alabama — have any control over John Calipari at Kentucky? Well, this might be some kind of witchcraft or a really bizarre coincidence. Either way, if you hear this out, I think you’ll be happy with the end result.

Thanks to my friend @jsmith4415 for making the eerie connections here.

**********

YEAR ONE

Nick SabanReturned Alabama back to glory from a long down period. Under a handful of temporary coaches, the Crimson Tide lost 24 games in the four years leading up to Saban’s hire. In his six years at the helm, Saban has only lost 13 games… Six of which came in that first-year transition phase.

John CalipariReturned Kentucky back to glory from a long down period. Going back to the final two years of Tubby Smith and the tumultuous two-year tenure of Billy Gillispie, Kentucky was in a very similar spot that Alabama was leading up to its home-run hire. Calipari didn’t have the transition season that Saban did, but he without a doubt returned Kentucky to the limelight.

YEAR TWO

Nick SabanPut Alabama in its first BCS game since 1998. Alabama charged out of the gate, posting a perfect 12-0 record heading into the SEC Championship game. Its next two losses would come consecutively to Florida for the conference crown, and Utah in the Sugar Bowl. The loss capped off a season where expectations were reasonably high, but it left fans wanting more.

John Calipari — Put Kentucky in its first Final Four since 1998. Kentucky did not so much charge out of the gate like Alabama, as much as it paced itself throughout the season. The Cats were playing some of the best basketball at the right time in March and would take a six-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. Its next loss would come to Connecticut in Houston.

YEAR THREE

Nick Saban — Won a National Championship. Alabama was the most dominating team from the start of the season to the end, without question. The Crimson Tide — in most instances — cruised to the title game and beat the Texas Longhorns by more than two touchdowns. Furthermore, the Tide’s star player Mark Ingram became the school’s first Heisman Trophy winner before being drafted by New Orleans.

John Calipari Won a National Championship. Kentucky was the most dominating team from the start of the season to the end, without question. The Cats had a few close-calls along the way, but there was hardly a doubt which team was the best in college basketball. What’s more, UK’s star player Anthony Davis became the school’s first Wooden Award winner before being drafted by New Orleans.

YEAR FOUR

Nick Saban — Saban and the Tide take a dip down in production and don’t live up to preseason expectations. A few regular season losses is all it takes for Alabama to fall out of contention for a BCS game, and the Tide have to settle for the Capital One Bowl with a 10-3 record. It’s not an abysmal season, but it certainly came as unexpected. Perhaps worst of all for Alabama was that rival Auburn won it all.

John Calipari — Caliapri and the Wildcats take a dip down in production and don’t live up to preseason expectations. Unlike Alabama here, the “dip down” in production was a bit more drastic than a “dip,” but unexpected results occurred nonetheless. It is Calipari’s worst season to date, and if you consider Alabama’s first season as a rebuilding year, (something much more necessary in college football) it was also Saban’s worst. Perhaps worst of all for Kentucky was that rival Louisville won it all.

YEAR FIVE

Nick SabanA second National Championship. Much like the 2009 campaign, Alabama began the season at the top (along with conference foe LSU) and hardly waivered. A lone loss to the aforementioned conference foe in the regular season is the only hiccup on the schedule for Saban. He would hoist a second trophy for the Crimson Tide after a 21-0 drubbing in the championship game; payback for that lone loss.

John CalipariHmmm. What is the pattern here? The most heralded recruiting class in college basketball history is headed to Lexington and the Cats are poised for a revenge tour around the SEC. Is it time for payback?

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

38 Comments for Nick Saban guarantees a Kentucky title in 2014

1. UK
    2:05 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Man i love being a uk fan!!

2. Sam
    2:14 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

How dare you compare what these two coaches have done to witchcraft. This country was founded on God not witches. I think im going to stop reading this damned website. Every time i get on here i have to put up with this sacrilege. Its sickening. I’m out!!!

3. I say
    2:14 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

The title of this post is very misleading…I was waiting to read a quote from Saban the whole time

4. caller
    2:15 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

i don’t get it

5. ajh
    2:17 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

That $hit cray!

6. Scott Baio
    2:18 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

I follow the logic and hope it works just as you said, but in year 1 Calipari and UK got beat in the Elite 8 not the Final Four.

7. FLASHY
    2:19 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

OMG!!! How much the same they are!

Saban didn’t get wins erased though… when he had recruiting violations… so that whole article is not so pretty now.

Stuart: you did better than Chris Thomas.

8. Woah
    2:19 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

@2 okay…

9. bloobloodcat
    2:20 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

I said this when Randle committed and a UL title run seemed probable. Even more fun, if you project out w/Townes and crew in 2014 together with the guys that might stay from the Sensation Six (or perhaps Magnificent Seven???…fingers crossed), you can say we have a legit shot to keep the tile in the Commonwealth in the same way Bama and Auburn have done with football in Alabama. Now THAT is something to get excited about folks!

10. FLASHY
    2:21 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Revenge Tour around the SEC… how difficult should that be in any year…?

Or were you saying you guys were going on a Revenge Tour in football? Cause that would be a DATED accomplishment.

Later, dudes….

11. Thursty13
    2:26 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

@6 where does it say we lost in the final four in year 1??

12. Michael
    2:29 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

yep stop stealing from r/CBB. Did you think no one would notice this? lol

13. barn
    2:30 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

9–it’s exciting if UK is the one doing the title keeping

14. dave
    2:37 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

do you know what the word “guarantee” means?

15. BamaCat
    2:40 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Yeah this post is so full of error. The tide didnt lose to ” the aforementioned conference foe” They lost to TAMU. Good job buddy. Keep stealing from Reddit..

16. UKAlum
    2:40 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

#2 is trolling hard.

17. Tyler
    2:41 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

You should at least give credit as to where you got this. (reddit)

18. Hudgie DeRobertis
    2:42 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

All this talk guaranteeing a 2014 ship may take a lot of fun out of next season. It’s gonna bring outrageous pressure onto the players and coaches and the fans will spend the whole season worrying about off nights and bad refs.

19. Hudgie DeRobertis
    2:44 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

worrying = obsessing

20. JSmith4415
    2:46 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

#18

Hambone actually got that from my Facebook and my posts on Rivals. Go to my Facebook from Monday night and you’ll see right after thw game where I posted the exact same verbage that he stole.

21. Sam
    2:49 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

@17…no troll here..just speaking up for what i believe in. if u want to sell your soul for a basketball team go ahead. u r a mindless drone…led by the blind!!

22. Jake_GOCATS
    2:50 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

7. You are complety wrong. Calipari wasn’t convicted of any recruiting violations. Neither were the Memphis Tigers nor UMASS Minutemen. What happened at UMASS is that Marcus Camby accepted illegal benefits from an agent while he was still in college. And what happened at Memphis was concerning Derrick Rose’s ACT exam. The NCAA Clearinghouse (institution that all incoming players must be cleared and checked by) had determined Rose eligible to play, so just like anybody with a brain would do, Calipari played his best player after he was cleared to play. It was only after the season in both cases that the NCAA went back and vacated the seasons, and had nothing at all to do with John Calipari or “recruiting violations.” Nice try, troll. Think before you write on here.

23. Jake
    2:51 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

6- He never wrote anything about UK in the Final Four under Year 1. That’s under Year 2.
    16- He wrote it correctly. Alabama did lose to LSU in Saban’s 5th year. They later got revenge in the NC game with a 21-0 victory.

This post does not mention Saban’s 6th year— in which they also won the NC. So if the pattern follows. UK will in it all in 2014 and repeat in 2015.

Some of you need to learn how to read.

24. indyscott
    2:53 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

#16 actually they lost to tamu this year (would be year 6 in this format) not last year which is referred to as year 5. Last year they lost to LSU in the regular season. Do research before you criticize someone else.

25. UKfanKathy
    3:00 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

This pattern sounds great to me. Eight of my family and friends are driving to Lexington tomorrow for the Blue/White spring practice. I am so anxious to watch the guys. I realize it’s just a practice and all the new guys are not on campus yet, but the excitement is there. I am still saddened that that little school in Louseyville won it all this year, albeit an extremely weak class; but I heard that the coach of said school at their celebration (gag) said something to the effect (and I paraphrase): “This program has the best basketball tradition in the nation”. At first, I thought I would puke and then I just laughed at his ignorance. It had been 27 (yep, count ’em little Ricky) years since they had won anything and they have 3 wins. Hummmmmm what about our 9? UCLA’s 11? NC’s 5? Indiana’s 4? I suppose since he went to that little school he lost the ability to add. I think he is so pathetic. He was not stupid when he was our coach. Oh, well, comes with the territory! GO CATS!

26. who's mindless?..
    3:05 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure this comment will be deleted, but.. 22) Who’s the mindless drone? You’re the one following something you have no real proof about. Though I’m sure you can come up with plenty of “examples.” But yet you get bent out of shape about a blog that makes a tongue in cheek comment about witchcraft. Again, I’m sure this comment will get deleted because I questioned something that we are supposed to blindly follow. I just get annoyed with people on their high horse about religion. NOBODY knows what the truth is.

27. Scott Baio
    3:13 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, misread the first sentence under year 1 for Calipari, it says final two, I thought it said final four. I know two and four look nothing alike…it’s been a long day!!

28. UKAlum
    3:35 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Sam- I guess you don’t understand subtext. I don’t think anyone was implying that they were actually practicing witchcraft. I guess the religious right thinks we are all going to hell even if we mention “evil” words. I should tell my kids to avoid your house on Halloween, as I feel the porch light is probably going to be off.

29. Stuart Hammer
    3:40 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

13 & 18 – I thought we’ve been over this. That is me on reddit.

30. lolz
    4:09 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Haha Stuart told you 13 & 18. Seriously you guys need to chill. Even if he had decided to copy it, those of us not reading reddit would still like to see it. Geez.

31. Viren
    4:22 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Bluegrass State has become all of a sudden HOT bed for the college hoops. Back to back titles for the state and very real possibility of a 3-peat, now that is some great stuff. Tobacco Road is going to be jealous after Cats hoist their second title in 3 season.

32. bluegrazzcat
    6:06 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Alabama just won back to back and 3 of the past four…..I don’t see the pattern?

33. Dusten
    7:02 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

30-Get em Stuart!!!

34. Dusten
    7:02 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

Bringing down the hammer!

35. Truth
    9:31 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

The Alabama FB/Kentucky BB comparisons have played out. It’s getting stupid folks. Apples and Oranges.

36. Otis
    10:40 pm April 12, 2013 Permalink

The only thing that will make you forget NIT and Robert Morris is bourbon, lots of bourbon.

And speaking of bourbon, Poops will get beat by Western

37. coach P
    12:25 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

HOW ABOUT ME I am a National CHAMP AGAIN without all the drama except for (KAREN)