Nicholas Brody’s Tuesday News and Views

Nicholas Brody is the main character in Homeland, a Showtime series that starts back up this Sunday. Played by Damian Lewis, Nicholas Brody is a U.S. Marine who was held captive by Al Queda as a prison of war for over eight years in Iraq. He is received as a war hero by his fellow Americans when he returns home, but a CIA operations officer (Claire Daines) suspects he is a threat to the country after she is tipped off about an American prisoner that had been turned by the militant Islamist organization.

I won’t spoil anything for those of you who plan to catch up before the Season 2 premiere, but the show is one of the best on television. It won four Emmys on Sunday, including an upset win over Breaking Bad for Best Lead Actor and an upset win over Mad Men for Best TV Drama. Claire Daines and the show’s writers also took home Emmys.

Season 1 of Homeland is currently On Demand for you Showtime subscribers and you have six days to play catch up. I encourage you to do so. You won’t be disappointed. It’s one that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

News. Views.

The big news of the day from the world of UK football is the quarterback situation and whether or not Max Smith will miss his second consecutive game. Joker Phillips said his starting quarterback is day-to-day and they “think” they’ll get him back. If Smith can’t go, Jalen Whitlow could get the start over Morgan Newton. Joker told reporters that the staff has been prepping Whitlow to be the second option since the Louisville game but didn’t feel he was ready to take on the Swamp.

“When Max went down, we just felt like (Whitlow) wasn’t ready,” Joker said. “He wasn’t quite ready to go in in that type of environment.”

If Jalen Whitlow wasn’t ready, please explain Morgan Newton’s readiness.

Joker also discussed the specifics of Smith’s shoulder injury and why the decision was made to sit him out: “He just reaggravated an old injury from last year.  So it was a deal where if he’d gotten hurt, if you’d have seen him in warmups, he wasn’t 100 percent and if he’d have gotten hurt, they think he could have been out for a significant time, and it wasn’t worth risking.  It wasn’t worth risking, like I said on Saturday.  I was treating him like you guys would want your son to be treated.”

“He wanted to play.  He’s a competitor.  You know, I get that. But again, we just thought it was the best thing for him and for this football program.”

If Joker had his way, the NCAA would issue every team a player like South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. “They should issue everybody one of those,” he said.  “He’s even better this year.  He’s a lot faster, a lot quicker off the ball, uses his hands better.  Again, he would be the No. 1 pick this year if I was a GM, if he was coming out.  They should let him come out, I think.  They should let him ‑‑ huh?  Yeah.  We could pick him up in the supplemental draft or something and that’s one of the guys I was telling you we gotta manage the ‘oh, shoots.’ When he’s coming at you with a screwed‑up protection, what do I do with the ball?  Oh, shoot.  Here he comes.”

Clowney has 4.5 sacks on the season, the third highest individual total in the SEC.

As always on Mondays, the SEC released its game times for the following week’s matchups and UK got the time slot it was hoping to avoid. Kentucky and Mississippi State will kick off at 12:21 pm on the first Saturday of Keeneland’s fall meet. The game will be televised on the SEC Network and attendance will likely hit a record low.

This Saturday’s game against South Carolina will be televised on ESPN2. Kentucky is currently listed as a 21-point underdog.

Eric Lindsey of CoachCal.com has a practice report from UK basketball’s one-hour workout in the Joe Craft Center on Monday. It’s definitely worth a read if you want to click over there and see how everyone looks. If visiting other websites isn’t your thing, we’ll reward your loyalty with quick notes from Lindsey’s report:

— Goodwin is a good defender

— Goodwin will dunk on someone

— Cauley-Stein is becoming a better shot blocker

— Jarrod Polson has improved

— Nerlens is working on his hook shot

Basketball season is almost here!

Do the Harrison twins even talk to their father? Aaron Harrison Sr. came forward on Monday and refuted yet another story about his boys, this time about their plans to visit Kentucky for Big Blue Madness. Papa Harrison said the twins haven’t made a decision about where they’ll be on October 12th, if anywhere. KentuckyScout.com reported late Sunday night that the Harrison twins planned to visit Big Blue Madness over Maryland Madness. That’s not actually the case, apparently.

Calipari and his staff were out in California on Monday to pay another visit to Marcus Lee. Lee, ranked No. 15 overall in Rivals.com’s 2013 rankings, is believed to be a California lean, but with Kentucky’s increased interest over the last month or so, don’t be surprised if our Cal moves ahead of the Cal Bears. He picked up an offer from UK last Sunday when Coach Cal was out west for an in-home visit.

Another highly-touted California native, Aaron Gordon, took his official visit to Oregon over the weekend and he’s looking at late October for a visit to Kentucky. According to his high school coach, it might be the last weekend of October. “Kentucky’s not finalized, but it might be that late October weekend, that 27th weekend,” Kennedy told sNY.tv. Gordon will visit Washington this weekend and then he has official visits to Kansas and Arizona scheduled for October 11th and October 18th.

Richie Farmer’s house was auctioned off Monday in Frankfort and it received zero interest from buyers. The foreclosed home was purchased for $175,000 by First National Bank of Manchester, the holder of the mortgage. The bank will sell the house to pay off the loan of over $317,000 that Farmer is unable to pay. The house was appraised at $250,000.

Teach Me How To Dougie.

Oh, Athens.

It appears the bros of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity at Tennessee have been pouring alcohol down each other’s anuses. One bro was hospitalized with a blood alcohol content level of over 0.4, which could potentially be fatal. I like to party and I like my friends, but I’m not letting anyone get near my ass with a bottle of booze and a rubber hose. It must be a Tennessee thing.

That’ll do it for now. I’ll leave you with a highlight reel from the 2011-12 basketball season from our friend Jeremy Morton:

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for Nicholas Brody’s Tuesday News and Views

1. UKBlue
    11:34 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Seeing that video, God that team was good. Really going to miss seeing Davis & the autolob.

2. Rixter
    11:43 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

“if he’d have gotten hurt, they think he could have been out for a significant time”

Isn’t that the risk every player takes each time they walk onto the field?

3. Rixter
    11:46 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

One more thing, guys:

Keep reporting what Harrison, Sr. says.. I love the inevitable retractions! I think he’s just effing with you at this point.

4. tdogg40330
    11:58 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

I just witnessed the worst call I’ve seen to end a football game … lol, not a GB
    fan but they just got screwed

5. Bristolcat
    12:01 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Breaking: Joker Phillips is in charge of the replacement referees.

6. Jeremy
    12:02 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

DA BEARS!!!

7. Eric K
    12:04 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Great video! Man what a great team!! Going to miss those young men. The ref’s /the NFL need to get it worked out, wow what a end to a game. Packer’s got f–ked! Good , i hate the fudgepackers but the got f–ked! GO CATS!!

8. capt
    12:10 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m not wasting one more g*dd*** minute watching the nfl this year, just like i’m not wasting anymore time on joker. That was the single biggest hosing I’ve ever seen! Cobb’s team just took it in the rear. If you’ve not seen the NFL’s replacement refs, it’s a real spectacle. They must have got them straight out of middle school football.

9. HillbillyInBC
    12:16 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

So that’s the guy who stole Bryan Cranston’s Emmy? If I were him I’d beware of the one who knocks.

10. Smiley Pete
    12:26 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Wait, so are we not going to talk about the alcohol enemas the UT frat guys give each other?

11. SeaCat
    12:45 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Drew,
    Wow, maybe too much info.
    Butt, what do the TN sorority sisters do?

12. Iucansukabigblue....
    12:47 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

That video is sick!!! I just love it. Cold chills. There will forever be a golden memories of this time. I miss them already.

Can we get these refs for the South Carolina game?

13. Hal
    1:48 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

orange you glad you’re not butthurt?

14. Culver
    1:53 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

I think “Papa Harrison” only cares about getting payed…just saying.

15. Catlogic15
    2:24 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

#14. Hate to say it, but it does like a distinct possibility. All he has to do is wait a year til the dual multi-million dollar contracts appear by way of Cal. So simple. So why is he so adamantly controlling? Does make you wonder. I’d love to hear those dinner conversations.

16. Mr. Blonde
    2:31 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Apparently Pikes raise hell AND hospital bills.

17. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    4:05 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

THINGS YOU THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEVER SEE ON KSR THIS SEASON: Coming in town next weekend from AZ and was wondering if anyone had a football ticket or 8 they were not using. Would like to take my boys and their cousins to their first UK football game. I will thank Joker later for making a memory for a lifetime regardless of the outcome.

18. BPsycho
    4:29 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

#17 A round of 151 enemas at half time would make a great memory and help you make it through the second half.

19. BigPerm
    6:21 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

If the season started today, would Noel be eligible?

20. Leaping Lanny Pavo
    6:36 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

19) No.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    7:11 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

18- hahahaha

Thanks Drew for opening my eyes to the world of Anus shots. Nothing screams party like pouring hard liquor down the soft tissue of your rectal wall.

22. barn
    7:19 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

sure, it starts innocently enough with butthole shooters, but it always leads to Harder stuff

23. SexnNursinHomes
    7:24 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

22- hahaha

24. Chris
    7:37 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Don’t we love UT for always setting the bar so much lower.

25. barn
    7:52 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

damian lewis will forever be maj. dick winters in band of brothers

26. Kidnut
    8:06 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Hey bartender, a round of colonic gin and tonics for my brothers!

27. Kidnut
    8:09 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

I bet they were doing girl drinks up the butt…

28. barn
    8:23 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

yes, sally, i promise, that was only jagermeister

29. really
    8:28 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Transy PIKES were true pioneers in the enemas.

30. Ed
    8:28 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Not that it matters, but the author put in a time stamp of 11:00pm. It wasn’t posted until after 1130. Comments agree with that.
    My point isn’t that it was posted later than normal, who cares right? It’s a blog.
    My point is why lie about the time? It’s not a mistake, because you would have to go back and reset the time stamp, so it’s obviously intentional. Just odd.

31. SexnNursinHomes
    8:41 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

30- Ed are you effin’ serious? Could Mr Franklin offer you a delicious anus shot?

32. Mitch
    8:51 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Go Hoosiers!!!

33. Really?
    9:28 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

30 like you said, it doesn’t matter. Maybe he started at 11 and ate a few tacos before he published it at 11:30. sheesh, get a life.

34. Cope
    9:39 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

Proud of you CHICAGO….. Thats my boy JEREMY!!!!!

35. CaliUKfan
    11:23 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

The countdown to the 2012 victory alongside photos of our past champions was a great touch.

36. James K
    12:16 pm September 25, 2012 Permalink

What highlight video would be complete without the theme from a movie about desperate and hopeless drug addicts?

37. ed
    1:02 pm September 25, 2012 Permalink

I agree it doesn’t matter. I am not being anal about the 11 o’clock time, I am just pointing out its odd for Drew to go back and change the time stamp. Why bother? Why go through the trouble? No one cares, but he did it anyway. I don’t think Sexn Nurse actually understood what I was saying. Nurses are usually pretty stupid though. Plus, While I get the anus shot reference, I don’t think Drew is gay, neither he nor I would want an anus shot given or taken.

38. Jeremy
    1:04 pm September 25, 2012 Permalink

I chose that song for no specific reason, it was composed by some guy named Mozart? lol. “Requiem” is defined as “A mass for the dead” and although the video does show the past 7 championship teams (some of which are dead) I chose it because the song is powerful in musical meaning. The sound is timeless, just like our 2012 Cats! I wanted to include the 7 teams because I wanted to remind the BBN that last years team is now immoral to us… It may not seem that way today, but in 30, 40, 50 years we are going to remember this team. They were that special.

By the way Reqiuem For A Dream is a great movie… Who needs to take a D.A.R.E class when teachers should just show the students that movie to keep them off drugs.
    Maybe show it to all of the frat houses at Tennessee.

39. Jeremy
    1:21 pm September 25, 2012 Permalink

And please, no one get on #32 “Mitch” he is a good friend, and is one of only three logical Loosier fans I personally know… the rest are hysterically delusional and cannot even spell their own name. They’re all positive Indiana is the next Harvard.

40. SexnNursinHomes