NFL Scouting Report: Randall Cobb

randall-cobb-scouting-combine

Russ Lande and a team of NFL scouts have a scouting report on Randall Cobb over at The Sporting News.  Cobb and his beautiful eyes (no homo) is currently projected as a second round pick, a spot that would make it completely worth breaking our hearts back in Lexington by leaving us.

Current projection: Second-round pick

NFL comparison: Hines Ward, Steelers

Hands: Has excellent hands with the consistent ability to extend his arms to catch the ball. Shows outstanding track and adjust ability to the ball in the air downfield. Has lapses in concentration as a receiver at times. Displays natural skills with the ball in the air as both a punt and kickoff return man. Grade: 7.0

Patterns: Is an outstanding overall route runner from either the slot or outside position. Has the strong build to take a good hit with the agility and balance to keep his feet after initial contact. Shows the route-running skills to work on the outside against off and zone coverage. Grade: 8.0

Run after catch: Has outstanding overall run-after-catch ability and big-play potential for the position at the next level. Displays the strength to break arm tackles in a crowd, as well as the lateral agility to make people miss in space. Has the vision and acceleration to outrun players with angles up the sideline for the big play. Defeats linebackers and safeties in man-to-man coverage quickly after the snap. Has a great combination of quickness and vertical speed to win at all levels as a route-runner. Grade: 8.0

Blocking: Does a great job of blocking back for plays behind him after he has run his route downfield. Is a tough and physical blocker on the perimeter in the run game. Has the quickness to gain position on his defender. Grade: 8.0

Bottom line: Cobb started three years for Kentucky at a variety of positions. He was a Wildcat quarterback, slot and outside receiver, punt returner and kickoff returner. He’ll be a regular wideout at the next level and deserves second-round consideration by a team looking for a slot receiver and return man.

Go Cobb.

The Sporting News

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for NFL Scouting Report: Randall Cobb

1. tom5673
    3:18 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

i wish randall nothing but the best. he was a joy to watch, and i believe our best overall player EVER. no disrespect to past legends…but, cobb could do it all.

2. Lando CALrisian
    3:21 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Go Cobb!!
    He’s earned it!!

3. nathan
    3:29 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Which ever team picks him is going to be the team I cheer for no matter who it is.

4. ATLCat
    3:31 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I’ve always said that Cobb seems like a young version of Hines Ward

5. The Real Pioneer
    3:34 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I HEARD THAT TROY MCKINLEY WAS AT THE COMBINE WORKING ON HIS BROADJUMP.

6. I can't see the comments
    3:44 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

5- Okay now drop the Caps lock and you’re on to something. This one was kind of funny.

Cobb is gonna be great in the NFL, I feel like he has it in him.

7. Charlie Sheen
    3:50 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

cobb will be cincinnati’s 2nd rd pick and the starting QB if palmer lives up to his word !

8. Pat Summitt
    3:58 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

His hands are much better than a 7..sorry, but they really are. He’s made some sick catches.

9. Don
    4:09 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

3-3-11:

RPI Rank: 12 SOS Rank: 10 Record: 21-8 (9-6)

10. cracka
    4:16 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

randall cobb is a lot like hines ward … except he’s not a low down, dirty, cheap shot, piece of sh!t, a$$hole p!ssburgh stealer

11. Al's IndiCats
    4:20 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I sure wish the colts would pick him up, but they’re letting too many other folks go to make room for Mannings contract. I only hope Manning works on his foot speed, because he’s going to have a line that consists of the type of guys who get sand kicked in their faces on the beach…..and when I say beach I’m talking beach as in Cumberland swimming area.

12. Rockfield, KY
    4:21 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Actually, Cobb does make some insane catches, but like they listed, sometimes he looses concentration and drops balls that hit him in the hands. I doubt it will affect him at the next level. He is just that kind of guy that will never fail at anything.

13. BoomKentucky
    4:28 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I hope he lands anywhere but the Cowboys, Raiders or Bengals. I wouldn’t mind the Patriots (even thought they are evil too) just because they get the most out of their players. As a Giants fan I hope it will be another UK player they pick up but they have a lot of WR right now.

14. Tardinal flat bill
    4:38 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I would love to see him go to the Bengals, but they already have Shipley and I don’t see them drafting a similiar player…but you never know, it is the Bengals. No matter how bad they run that organization, I will always be a fan.

15. CardsRankHigher
    4:49 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

First off, I feared whenever Cobb was in the game vs UofL. Second, Drew, “his beautiful eyess” IS homo and no type of disclaimer or explanation is going to change that….unless of course you are actually a woman.

16. mudcreekmark
    5:37 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I loved Cobb untill he went off on the fans for no apparent reason. I lost a lot of respect for him for that. I’m sorry I don’t buy the non sincere apology either.

17. Joseppi
    5:42 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

CardsRankHigher, you’ve obviously never gazed into Randall’s eyes. It is a magic moment sure to mesmerize all who fall to them. So yes, “no homo” is a credible disclaimer.

18. HomeJersey
    12:55 am March 4, 2011 Permalink

#1) Charlie Sheen=that would be a friggin tragedy
    #2) 15-go home!
    #3) 16-STFU! mudcreek couldn’t find Lexington so don’t spout like you have actually been to a game.