NFL Draft Interview w/ Derrick Locke

Randall Cobb announced his decision to go pro earlier today but he’s not the only Wildcat that’s ready to make a name for himself in the NFL.  Derrick Locke is ranked as the twentieth best running back in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com and he’s projected to be picked up in round 6 or 7.  New Era Scouting (a Big Lead joint) interviewed Locke about his plans for the future and the future Senior Bowl MVP compares himself to the best running back in the game, Chris Johnson.

Scott Porter: What NFL player reminds you of yourself?

Derrick Locke: Chris Johnson of the Titans because of his speed, and we have similar size. We’re not real big but very quick and fast with big time break away speed.

He also admits to doing a little fishing when he’s not playing football.  I’m sure Papaw Brooks taught him everything he knows on the water.

Scott Porter: What are your hobbies off the field?

Derrick Locke: I don’t do much away from football. I like to spend as much time with my family as possible. I like to hang out with my friends, spend time with my song. I also like to sing. I sing by myself a lot. I like to fish, play putt putt and I like to bowl.

Locke also has a brand new Facebook fan page for everyone in Big Blue Nation to “like”.  You should do that.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for NFL Draft Interview w/ Derrick Locke

1. PutThatOnDeAndreLiggins
    4:12 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Free Enes

2. Optimist
    4:16 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Yeah with Cobb gone and Locke most likely gone, its going to be real good next year.
    Cats go to SEC Championship behind strong coaching of Joker.

3. GoodLord
    4:28 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

2.) Locke most likely gone? Are you even a UK fan?

4. bigbadjon
    4:29 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

steelers win super bowl. hines ward retires. steelers draft cobb. thats my dream scenario at this point.

5. catinhat
    4:40 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

2 – Awww, man, you stuck it out there, now pay the price. Goober. No doubt you’re a solid Cat fan, but clearly a hoops-only one. And that’s cool, I don’t have a problem with that. We all have our pastimes, yours is college hoops, specifically the Cats. I don’t follow football that closely myself.

But dude, you can’t step out there and dog the football program with zero to back it up.

“Likely gone” – as in your credibility so might as well change your screen name.

6. ???????
    4:54 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

#4 I think Cobb would be great in Pittsburgh. I see a lot of similarities between Cobb and Ward. Think it would work out great.

7. BPsycho
    5:01 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

“I love ya’ll. Thank you for everything. I hope that in some way shape or form, I was able to influence you or inspire you. For all the kids, I hope you always keep your dreams. Always, always keep pushing after them and let no one stop you.”

-Randall Cobb

He’s such a good person and I feel proud to have had the chance to see him play at the University of Kentucky.

8. Tej
    5:03 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Obviously, these guys will be missed. They were both outstanding players and persons and I am sure everyone wishes them good luck. Joker will have two voids to fill. Hopefully, we have players who will step up to the challenge and opportunity.

9. Laker Cat 18
    5:04 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Locke’s a tad soft in my opinion. I’m not sure he can sustain the hits that he would take in the NFL. That said, I hope he proves me wrong. I wish him and Cobb the best of luck.

10. footballcat
    5:08 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

2- locke is gone, not most likely. hes a senoir. good luck d. u will be missed. loved to watch u run, hopefully u go to my fave nfl team, if not i will still cheer for u! thanks for the memories. go cats

11. But did PawPaw teach him to grow fresh tomatoes?

12. On a serious note, let us not forget how big a part Locke played in the LSU upset…not only running the ball so well when another player was injured (memory fails me, but was it Raphael Little?), but he had a big block on a pass rusher when Woodson threw a TD pass.

13. Danny Stayvethan
    6:27 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m a Ny Giants fan and was surprised when a couple of people on their mb brought Locke’s name up as a rb they would want to draft.

14. ACKWELL FOLEY
    12:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

chris johnson? really d.locke? i love ya d, but chris johnson?