Next year’s UNC game isn’t dead. Yet.

Shortly after announcing the end of the basketball series with Indiana, Mitch Barnhart said the North Carolina series isn’t dead yet, but it’s leaning that direction. “It’s close to being that way,” he said.

So don’t plan on seeing the Tar Heels on Kentucky’s schedule next season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Next year’s UNC game isn’t dead. Yet.

1. Dr. GoogleStien
    3:00 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

That pic never gets old.

2. Scott
    3:01 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

What a joke. UK going for the weakest sos in the nation? This looks really bad on uk’s part.

3. DCWILDCATFAN
    3:02 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Perhaps Cal is going for undefeated season by not playing anyone?! I understand the decision not to play UNC and IU…but it still sucks.

4. bluefan
    3:03 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Ugh. Happy with dropping IU. UNC I’d like to keep.

5. UK Homer
    3:05 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

What notable OOC games remain?

U of L
    Duke
    Maryland
    Random Big East team

6. rainman
    3:06 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

This would bother me much more than losing P-IU or Loserville!!

7. G
    3:07 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal should add UCLA as that will help west coast recruiting.

8. G
    3:09 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

C’mon, guys. Do the Gillespie podcast. It will be an all time best seller. I want to hear all about his affair with Alex Legion’s girlfriend.

9. BigBlue2thebone
    3:10 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Not following the logic of getting rid of the UNC game… The home schedule is going to suffer unless there are other games in the works… The SEC isn’t strong enough to be a reason for softening the OOC schedule.

10. G
    3:11 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Is MKG the most p*ssy whipped UK player since Derek Anderson?

11. kk
    3:14 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Hate to lose UNC. Unlike IU, UNC fans tend to be classy. They’re not overly rude to visiting fans, and they’re complimentary of their opponents when warranted. And any game with them is a recruiting dream game and one of the biggest of the year in the whole country!

12. tzuzaki
    3:14 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Duke for UNC is a wash. IU no big deal.

13. disappointed
    3:21 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. nolablue
    3:23 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

IU I will not miss in any way, shape, or form. But I always liked UNC. ‘Would rather
    play them than Duke, any day of the week!!!

15. #8 is a troll
    3:25 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Saw ur comment on a previous thread…. Who is Gillespie?

16. ABC club
    3:26 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

I’d love to see them play, but especially in light of the recruiting I’d love to watch UK play UCLA next year. Cats would absolutely RUN THEM OUT OF THE GYM. Kyle Anderson’s nickname is “slow-mo.” Need I say more?

ALSO 11- You have never been to NC. UNC fans are NOT classy in any way, shape, or form. I grew up in Durham and have spent a lifetime defending the Cats against a bunch of Carolina and Duke fans. Just sayin.

17. Scott
    3:30 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

So, UK is going to play Duke and……..maybe Gardner Webb??

18. Scott
    3:31 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

It does look bad that IU is finally good again (maybe preseaon #1) and the story nationally will be that UK cancelled the series. I know they said they wanted neutral, but where??? Besides Indy? L’ville said no to playing @ Yum.

19. Alan Badillion Trahern
    3:31 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

I will be very upset if we drop the UNC series. I look forward to this game the most.

20. SexnNursinHomes
    3:31 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

17- hey vagina face, UK didn’t end the series, we are in position to make changes. It’s up to iu if they want to agree to those changes. If not, no loss on our part. We OWN you. YOU do as WE say.

21. Hoss_Cat
    3:35 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with ending the IU series, but ending the UNC series would make us look like cowards. I guess they’re wanting to play gardner webb & stony effin rock.

22. duhville cat
    3:36 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

21) Well said Sexn… well said.

23. TommyLasorda
    3:37 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

I guess if Jim Boeheim can do it so can Cal.

24. SexnNursinHomes
    3:40 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

22- duhville, I think hoo hoo doesn’t quite understand the powers of being #1. and of course they wouldn’t know that feeling. The last time they were #1 was 1987 and ALF was eating house cats.

25. nassau65
    3:46 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

20. Sexn, you’re giving the guy way too much credit by callin him vagina face. Sphincter face would likely be a better fit. But you’re right, UK is the one to have the final say as to when and where, as it should be. Like UL, IU doesn’t exist unless we say so. Man, they gotta hate that. Personally, i like it.

26. Scott
    3:47 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Being reported now that the UNC series is also dead. Way to go Cal. Killed two of the biggest national rivalry games in one day.

27. Scott
    3:48 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

20. What changes? There was no neutral site available to play at other than Indy @ Lucas Oil. It’s smoke and mirrors by UK, so they don’t just come out and say we’re cancelling it. Heck, Cal told you he wanted to cancel it before these games were even played last year.

28. Bristol Cat
    3:48 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

..and now IU will not been seen even one time per year. Sad for them. Top two ways to make sure you disappear from the national seen:

1. Drop UK from your schedule.
    2. Sign with UCLA.

29. Bristol Cat
    3:49 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

be seen

30. SexnNursinHomes
    3:54 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

25- bwahahaha!!

27- scott, first off. kneel upon me and kiss my hand. Then shine my shoes (watch out for the dog shit). Ok, secondly, We got the upperhand. Champions. #1. We call the shots. You have to comply. It’s that damn simple. You either play @ lucas oil and in louisville or there is no game. Thirdly, you all are trash and that is bad to say considering that I’m a scumbag.

31. Mad Monk
    3:55 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

If you are a season ticket holder you already had to deal with every other year being pretty weak and now there is virtually nothing left at home in regards to OOC. I love UK and bleed blue but you have to get something for your money.

32. Terry
    3:56 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Well…who’s to say that Cal made the decision? It coulda been IU & UNC’s choice to cancell. Maybe i don’t know what’s what…but maybe it isn’t up to Cal.

33. Ridge Runner
    3:57 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Scotty.. We are UK and we don’t concern ourselves with “opponents” as the other division 1 schools do.

UK IS THE SCHEDULE

Now run along, and concern yourself with your school, get out of the dynasty kingdom on BBN and don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

34. nassau65
    4:00 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

27, Poor lil Scotty, got his feelings all butthurt because UK is not giving his lil team any attention. Don’t wanna play by the Big Dog rules? then play elsewhere. bwahaaaaaaaaaaaa

35. Scott
    4:03 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Read Jeff Goodman’s recent column on CBS. Pretty much lays it out that Cal is done playing OOC road games against anyone, ever.

36. Terry
    4:03 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

I myself would like to see Murray St. on our schedule…. They were tough last year & will be this year. Just a thought.

37. Scott
    4:04 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Yeah sure….I’ve only been watching this series (usually in person) for the last 25 years. Have friends that are both UK and IU fans, and it’s usually makes for a great weekend for all of us to meet up and have fun. So yeah, I’m sad to see it end.

38. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    4:04 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

SexN–jumped on the site, reviewed posts before entering comments section. When I came to the Lemond post, I jumped in–thinking to myself, “I must see what SexN has to say about the photo of Lemond”. Zilch, nada, shooting blanks (no pun intended). You are making up for it now, so you are excused.

39. Terry
    4:05 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Scotty doesn’t know, Scotty doesn’t know…dont tell Scotty LOL

40. nassau65
    4:06 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

35. Poor lil Scotty, just doesn’t get it. let me splain it to you (and read slowly). When you are the big dog , you play who you want, when you want, where you want. butthurt much?

41. SexnNursinHomes
    4:08 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

38- hahahahaha bout spit my beer out on that one

42. Bob Knight
    4:12 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Scotty since you have been watching for 25 years you will remember that I was the one who moved it to a neutral site and we got our ass handed to us most every year

43. Terry
    4:14 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

42- Almost? Ha!!

44. Scott
    4:17 pm May 3, 2012 Permalink

Yep….that’s right Bobby….and I’m fine with that. As I’ve said, there is a lot of tradition here, and it should have never ended. I don’t care if its home/home or neutral.