Newsflash: Some Players Liked Billy G

As the criticism of Billy Gillispie and his coaching style has continued to mount this week, a few players have stepped forward to defend the (soon to be former) Texas Tech coach. NBA All Star Deron Williams, former Texas A&M standout Acie Law, and TT’s starting forward last season Robert Lewandowski have all come forward in support of Gillispie, according to ESPN’s Jason King. Lewandoski took a philosophical approach when describing playing under Gillispie, noting “Coach Gillispie pushed me to my physical and mental limits, and I came out an improved person. I know I can handle anything that comes my way.┬áThe process wasn’t very pretty, but isn’t that how life usually is?”

Some other highlights: some former players apparently enjoyed Gillspie’s tough love; they assert that yes, Gillispie had emotions and cared about his players; playing hurt made them tougher and showed them that it was time to step up as team leaders; the layups before practice were all in good fun; and perhaps most interestingly, some people think Billy should keep his job.

I’m still skeptical. Perry Stevenson, what say you?

@kristengeilksr

Article written by Kristen Geil

11 Comments for Newsflash: Some Players Liked Billy G

1. jacocat
    5:09 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

I wonder what it cost him to get those guys to say something good about him?

2. nassau65
    5:21 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

stick a fork in Billy G. he’s done.

3. UKBlue
    5:31 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

It’s irrelevant now what anyone says to defend Billy, the damage is done, he is too much of a legal liability, and no school high school or college will ever hire him again.

4. Frankfort
    5:48 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

Players supporting Billy? That’s Beaten Wife Syndrome.

5. Kristen Geil
    9:24 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

stockholm syndrome maybe?

6. jill's a dumbazz
    9:26 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

If they liked him so much then they must have issues themselves.

7. Dave in Bangkok
    9:28 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

All of the guys to whom I was “mean” when I was a platoon sergeant loved me.

I was tough on the shit birds and tougher on the shit birds who had something more to offer than they themselves realized.

So….I can understand why guys would support BCG.

8. BoomKentucky
    5:24 am September 9, 2012 Permalink

I would like to hear from Joe Crawford. what he said about bcg is the main reason I didnt hate bcg until the very end,

9. SevenT
    7:44 am September 9, 2012 Permalink

That you Matt for running another useless, milk the sensationalism story, about Bully Thug. Please run about 20 more worthless pieces of journalism over the next few days explaining every single thing BCG does including detailing what he has for breakfast.

Great Reporting!!

10. GI Joe
    9:56 am September 9, 2012 Permalink

7) You can certainly be “mean” and “tough” in the Army (and in sports for that matter) and still have your guys love you, certainly- but I’m betting that like the tough sergeants and coaches I’ve had, you were also Fair. And you also Built Them Back Up after breaking them down.

I’m also betting that if one of your soldiers had a little “ow”-y you made them keep going- as you should; but if a soldier actually had a real injury, such as stress fractures in both legs, you made them go to the medics and took care of them too. You don’t send a bunch of broken soldiers out into the field like our former idiot UK coach.

11. DCS195
    10:45 am September 9, 2012 Permalink

#10. You got it right. There is no redeeming qualities to BCG’s methods.