New York City Update

NYC – Half & Half (CNN)

I just spoke to the fine people with the UK Alumni Association in NYC and they’re getting slammed with phone calls and e-mails from Cats fans planning to attend next week’s game. While the questions and concerns they’re receiving are important, everyone back here in Kentucky needs to keep in mind that the people you’re calling are dealing with flooded apartments and offices and they still don’t have reliable electricity, especially Internet and cell service. Communication with them will be delayed and, honestly, a question about your hotel reservation isn’t at the top of their priority list — no offense. They’re putting their lives back together right now.

So, hopefully this will help you decide what you’re going to do next week.

Here’s what we know…

— Midtown hotels have power.

— The Barclays Center has power.

— Subway service to Barclays will most likely still be down.

— Downtown may not have power.

— Subways to and from the airports will most likely be delayed.

— Taxis have a three-person minimum.

— The game is still on.

Of course, any of those could change by next week, but this is how things stand as of right now.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for New York City Update

1. Kenny Power's Agent
    3:49 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I love lamp.

2. tltaworl
    3:53 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Okay we get it, but what is more important, people’s lives or Kentucky Basketball?

3. asfd
    3:55 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

NYC needs to get their priorities straight and realize there’s a UK game next week! How dare they have a hurricane at a time like this?

4. Trick Pitino
    3:55 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Please do NOT be rude to the NYers when you call….because NYers would NEVER be rude to you.

5. WalkersGoggles
    3:55 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I’ll give the customary “Is Richie gonna play tonight” call

6. facts
    3:56 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

If this hurricane had hit the Gulf Coast, all of America would have forgotten that it happened by now.

7. nybrasky
    4:05 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Stay in Brooklyn & you’ll be fine.

8. Truth
    4:07 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

what 6^) said

9. MusicCityCat
    4:08 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I just called my hotel (Hampton Inn Times Square North). No answer after about 3 minutes. Not a good sign.

10. Wtfny
    4:11 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Wtf New York

I’d better not miss a second because of some minor water issues

11. JRupp
    4:18 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I’ve walked ~500 blocks (partially in total darkness) for the last three days. ( I just walked from my powerless apt in Alphabet City to stay with friends here in Billyburg.)

Cat Fans should expect some extra salty NYers next week – especially with transportation stressed by natives trying to get to their families and livelihoods. There will be no patience for tourists trying to get to a basketball game. Good luck.

PS The world isn’t run from the Gulf Coast.

Go Cats!

12. yep
    4:20 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

6. Re you crazy? They still talk about Katrina like it was yesterday.

13. Crazy
    4:29 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Loll New York
    Stop being such puss$es and get your shi! Together so can watch a basketball game.
    I mean holy shi$
    Little wind and water n you’re all boo hoo

14. Come hell or high water
    4:30 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Drew, are the buses still running to Barkley from Jack Dempsey’s for the game?

15. republitarded
    4:44 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

New York is doing much better than New Orleans did after Katrina. It pays to have good people in charge of FEMA and a properly-managed federal government.

By the way, what did Mittens and Billy Munster have planned for FEMA before this storm hit?

16. GregJ
    4:45 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

11) “PS The world isn’t run from the Gulf Coast.”

LOL. The world isn’t run from NYC either buddy.

17. Isaac in Long Beach
    5:02 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

6- Yeah, I’m sure we’d still be talking about a major hurricane on the Gulf Coast since gas would be at $5.00 a gallon.

18. That's Live Action!
    5:06 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

#11 = SISSY

19. Chris
    5:17 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I live in New York but in the upper east side. I have been talking to some people around that say they could have the power back in lower manhattan sometime early next week but the subway systems will not be working, atleast to brooklyn by then. So it looks like were gonna be taking tax’s or buses from Jack Dempseys. I will do my best to get updates and get them to you asap.

20. winston
    5:30 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

Franklin scolding us dumb hicks notwithstanding, KSR was hyping the Dempsys buses this morning on the show so a little follow up to allow us to plan alternative transportation would be nice.

21. jimlowe7
    6:12 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

I like the “half n half” photo (makes a STARK point). However, it brings to mind this question: “Why do cities WASTE electricity by lighting buildings at night when no one is there?” I do not subscribe to the “Global Warming” theory/myth, but if I did I can’t see how humans could change enough of what we do to have any effect for at least several decades. But “turning out the lights” could be done almost immediately and should DRAMATICALLY reduce power consumption across the USA. A few warning lights for air traffic is all that’s necessary – the rest is literally “WINDOW DRESSING” we could do without.

22. facts
    7:05 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

#11: Hope you and all your NY boyfriends get things up and running again. Real men are coming to town next week…..and we won’t take “My yankee friends and I couldn’t get the lights back on :(” as an excuse, pu$$y.

23. eastcoastcat
    9:37 pm November 1, 2012 Permalink

bubby, COAL keep the lights on!!! lol