Nerlens talks UK in his latest ESPN diary

Fresh off his trip to New Orleans for the All-American Championship, Nerlens Noel only had eyes for the Cats in his latest ESPN diary.

Noel said Kentucky “definitely” had the most fans in NOLA and he was by the Big Blue Nation:

“Now of course that had a lot to do with the fact that they were playing there, but I’m always just shocked at how dedicated Kentucky fans are. One man asked me if I wanted to take his wife home with me, ha ha. I couldn’t believe it. I was like “Nah, I’m good,” but that’s just how insane the fans were down there. Great atmosphere.”

Noel also praised Anthony Davis, a player to whom he is often compared. He said he spoke to Davis while in New Orleans, and liked what he said about the Cats:

“Just seeing him have all the success that he’s had this year definitely makes me think a lot about what I could be doing there. That’s really appealing to me.

His IQ on the court is crazy. I talked to him a lot while I was down there and he told me all about how much better he’d gotten since he got there. He told me that I’d have to be ready when I got there because it was going to be a lot of hard work.

I’d definitely say it makes me think about Kentucky more, and with them winning with all of those freshmen was very attractive. Just seeing that it doesn’t matter how young you are, you can win a national title.

I talked to (Kentucky assistant) coach Orlando (Antigua) after they won and he was really happy, of course. He said that all he could think about was me being a part of something like that next season.

I wouldn’t say that all of that stuff gives Kentucky an advantage though. It’s just something I think about a lot.”

Noel goes on to say that he would love to play with Shabazzz Muhammad, but they haven’t talked about playing together…yet (okay, I added that last part). Both will announce their decisions one week from today during a special on ESPNU at 7:30 p.m.

#TeamNerlens

43 Comments for Nerlens talks UK in his latest ESPN diary

1. bigblue
    5:04 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

See thats the sick insane crap thats gives us a bad name asking a teen if he would like to take his wife home wtf BBN!

2. J-Huh
    5:07 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, that’s creepy. Way to keep it classy. A little weird that Nerlens wrote about it too.

3. Kim
    5:09 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Noel was quoted as saying that John Thompson, Sr. sat down and talked with him at Georgetown about coming to school there, what Georgetown could do for him, etc. Now, Thompson works for both radio and television, how is this not a recruiting violation when you get a media person to help in recruiting? I am sure the NCAA would bitch a fit if we got Joe B. Hall to help us out.

KSR check into the legality of this, please.

4. bmack
    5:09 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Dear Weird UK Fan,

Please stop embarrassing us. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

bmack

P.S. On the bright side, that sure sounds like the writing of someone that’s headed to Lexington.

5. RUPPS_rhetoric
    5:10 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m not a troll and I only say this because I saw someone tweet it. I checked the dates and it appears Coach O talking to Nerlens was during the dead period. I know they changed something with Social media and maybe that’s what Nerlens was talking about.

From the NCAA website: (d) March 29 through April 5, 2012, (noon): Dead Period

I have researched a bit more and see that you can contact the person via phone during a dead period, just not in person. Here’s hoping that wasn’t a face-to-face.

6. TheDecker
    5:13 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

5. I GUARANTEE you coach O didn’t talk to him face to face

7. RUPPS_rhetoric
    5:14 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I would have to imagine he’s well aware of Dead period rules. Just saw an over zealous Syracuse fan running with this today and you can’t find any specifics.

8. Nathan
    5:18 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

lol wtf.. why not offer the daughter as well…combo pack

9. FartyMcFartstein
    5:19 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Creepy UK fan got his point across though. And it obviously had an effect.

10. Unnamed Source
    5:19 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Breaking News: Pitino to Ohio Bobcats imminent; Cal possible replacement.

11. Joey
    5:20 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Did you ever think that maybe Noel called Coach O? He doesn’t say that Coach O contacted him. Or maybe he texted him.

Non story…

12. TampaCat
    5:20 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Coach O. probably made that call during the Championship festivities from New Orleans just so Noel could hear all the celebration in the background!

13. uklaw95
    5:22 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Now, take my wife. Please.

14. Damn fan tried to pull a Jesus Shutlesworth on Noel. Playa playa

15. HOO HOO
    5:29 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

IU fans are waaaaaaay more classy than UK fans. W O W

16. Dane Brammage
    5:30 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens Noel quote, in re his discussion with Ant. Davis about basketball life at KENTUCKY : “He told me that I’d have to be ready when I got there because it was going to be a lot of hard work.”

17. uklaw95
    5:30 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t Roy Williams call John Wall from the podium or something like that?

18. Ridge Runner
    5:32 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

If any1 has seen that the championship dvd is available to purchase, please buy it for me.

Usually CBS advertises it a few days after the tourney & was curious if anybody has saw the commercial yet.

19. DuPont
    5:32 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I saw Noel on Bourbon Street Saturday night and practically begged him to come. He had fun at the expense of my UL friends though. #TeamNerlens

20. Joey
    5:32 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Official recruiting rules. Phone contact is permissible during the Dead Period. End of Story.

Dead Period: The college coach cannot make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This prevents the coach from making any evaluations of you whatsoever. However, the coach can make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians.

21. Ridge Runner
    5:33 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Hoo Hoo be careful being an Indiana guy. 1 lost their foot ya know.

22. PassionoftheGilchrist
    5:42 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Hoo Hoo,
    You would give your left Hoo to drink Zeller’s bathwater….just saying

23. BlueMist
    5:43 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

21, I know your aiming that at the troll therefore I am laughing my azz off at that! Crude but spot on for that reason.

24. catdaddy
    5:47 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

21) ridge -nice!

25. jpizzle
    5:48 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

So um, is offering his wife to a recruit a violation? Either way that is seriously hilarious. I love BBN

26. Crazy UK Fan
    5:52 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Hey my wife is pretty hot, I thought it was a good offer.

27. Bones
    5:53 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I was actually standing about 5 feet from the guy that said that Nerlens. I was completely obvious that it was a joke and everyone was laughing including Nerlens. Nerlens was very down to Earth and he posed for pictures with my friends and I. He even said “Go Cats” as he was walking away.

GET SERIOUS this was meant as a joke and Nerlens knew that.

28. Bones
    5:56 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I was actually standing about 5 feet from the guy that said that to Nerlens. It was completely obvious that it was a joke and everyone was laughing including Nerlens. Nerlens was very down to Earth and he posed for pictures with my friends and I. He even said “Go Cats” as he was walking away.

GET SERIOUS this was meant as a joke and Nerlens knew that.

29. 8isGreat
    5:58 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Ridge Runner, I believe the DVD is available to purchase at the KSR shop.

30. Ridge Runner
    5:59 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

28…Pardon the skepticism from many of us -but this is 2012 and not totally out of the realm of what some may do. When ya say for us to get serious…unfortunately that is under the serious category just as much as the statement you present that it was a joke. I really don’t care 1 way or the other but just sayin’

31. Ridge Runner
    5:59 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

30…thx bud, I’ll check it out.

32. Joey
    6:01 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Bernie Fine didn’t really offer his wife, but she offered herself.

33. MacGruber
    6:06 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

We have 3 National championships, since Louisville won their second and last one(1986). Reagan was president, Top gun was a hit movie and MTV still showed music videos.

34. CalifCatFan
    6:09 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Looking forward to seeing the Flat-top Fellar in UK blue.

35. Beavis
    6:16 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Yep,,,,,you and your classy fans went right back to Bloomington after we beat you. Nothing like being classy in Bloomington. I am Jealous. I saw how classy the IU fans were when Uk played there. Don’t give us that crap

36. chicatgo
    6:27 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

These guys are just showing respect to some of these other schools. Players of this caliber in this day and age understand how to use the media. I’ll be glad to see them wearing blue soon!

37. Jared
    6:43 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Too bad the NOLA swing was this year, next year it could have been “Nerlens takes Nawlins”

38. Walden Schmidt
    6:47 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO, you’re back. I was really started to get worried about you. Pity the fool. Get a life dickhead.

39. CalsGut
    6:54 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m surethis is just an attempt by noel’s posse to get uncle wes and fat Cow to up the payment. If the price is right, Noel will be a cayut.

40. jj
    7:05 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO…Did you finally get out of therapy? Glad to have your yankee candy-striped anus back to kick around..how you feeling? Well what other tidbits of total stupidity and irrelevance do you have for us today? Getting ready for next year…I hope so..it will be “crying time again” for you!

41. Syrin
    7:12 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens,

That had better give Kentucky an advantage. You won’t develop to your potential anywhere esle but UK, and you won’t be loved as well as anywhere but UK. You have the raw talent to play at the next level no matter where you go, but Calipari will make you twice as good as when you came on board and get you a higher draft pick than if you went elsewhere. When you play on the road, there will be as many if not more UK fans as fans of rivals. Honestly, you’d be insane to go elsewhere.

42. stevie
    8:25 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

This is for the greatest basketball program of all time. At the moment UNC is leading UK 30% vs. 29%. Go and vote for UK. And, pass it on to all UK fans. Lets go BBN.