Nerlens Noel’s surgery scheduled for this week

derek-nerlens1

This morning on the Dan Patrick Show, John Calipari said that Nerlens Noel’s surgery is scheduled for this week during UK’s spring break. Hopefully we’ll get some more details when Cal goes up on the SEC Coaches’ Teleconference in the next hour.

Cal also said that if Nerlens’ rehab goes slowly, “he should come back.” And if he does? “If he chooses to stay, I’ll leave my office and do two backflips.”

I think we all will.

31 Comments for Nerlens Noel’s surgery scheduled for this week

1. Joe Smoe
    10:56 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

If he stays, he will be foreved loved in KY. I’m not sure what that’s worth to him, but to many, it’s priceless.

2. Chubby
    10:59 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Why on Earth is he just now having surgery???

3. Jimmy Jack
    11:00 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Good luck Nerlens and prayers are with you. You will be fine in no time.

4. Jimmy Jack
    11:00 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

#2 swelling must go down and settle before they can fix it.

5. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Hope it goes well for him. Heal up fast, Big Man, and come back and win #9 with us next year! The NBA will keep a seat warm for you.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:04 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

#2, it’s pretty typical to wait a while for ACL surgery. They have to wait for the swelling to subside, and there are usually scheduling issues. Those orthopedic surgeons work on all kinds of folks in addition to athletes. They do a lot of hip and knee replacements – that is usually their bread and butter.

7. WinchesterUKfan
    11:05 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

I can’t even imagine how good we will be if Noel, Poythress and WCS come back for a 2nd season. Add them to the Harrison Twins, Young, Lee, Johnson, Willis and Randle (which I hear is favoring UK), and we will be practically unbeatable!

8. UK
    11:13 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Cauley-Stein is likely gone.

9. Chubby
    11:16 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for explaining guys! I had no clue
    Also thanks for answering nicely… Last time I asked a question
    On here I was called a troll.. Haha

10. What?
    11:18 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

6) if anyone recommends that you have an ACL repair by an orthopedic surgeon that also does total knee and hip replacements, I’d run. There are orthopedic surgeons that specialize in sports medicine and specificially ACL repairs. That’s all they do. I would much rather my ACL be repaired by a guy (or gal) that does tons of them each year, than by one that does a handful. Your recommendation would be like asking an electrician to fix your dripping sink.

11. Chris
    11:24 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

#10. What if I told you Dr’s were capable of performing more than one surgery?

12. Grrr
    11:25 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Stop teasing us with these little tidbits. He ain’t coming back!

13. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

10, true, it’s best to go to someone who specializes in sports medicine – just like if you have a particular type of cancer, it’s best to go to a big teaching hospital that treats thousands of such cases per year. Agree that if I am in Noel’s shoes, I find the best of the best. My point is that there are also hundreds of competent ortho surgeons who do both. The average Joe might not have a lot of choice in the matter with the way insurance companies operate.

14. Dr Jack
    11:31 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

I had mine done by a dentist while he filled a cavity and I still run marathons. It doesnt matter who does it

15. theSkinny81
    11:31 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Thanks, I was gonna have mine done by an orthodontist. Let’s hope Nerlins doesn’t do the same. You should email the UK team medical staff, they may not know!

16. theSkinny81
    11:32 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

re: #10

17. Musehobo
    11:33 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

9) For some reason, many people who frequent this site use the term “troll” loosely. I believe they think it means “someone who is wrong” or “someone who disagrees with you”.

18. Han
    11:35 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Hmm, does that mean he won’t get to travel to Nashville with the team? Would he have?

If he comes back, he’ll be a great leadership presence even if he doesn’t play a minute.

We’re still looking at potentially starting 5 frosh, especially if Randle and Wiggins commit. Crazy.

12) We should all keep telling ourselves that and it’ll be pure awesome if he does return.

19. STEVE!
    11:36 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

It would be nice if he could get the surgeon who fixed Adrian Peterson’s knee. Almost set the all-time NFL single season rushing record after the surgery.

20. Al's IndiCats
    11:37 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Personally I have no doubt about Cal when he sets his mind to it, although I’d give almost anything to see him two back flips. C’mon back Nerlens ha ha ha

21. TN Cat
    11:43 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Scholarship situation could get interesting for next year.

22. Sir Brandon
    11:43 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

I hath my ACL surgery in the dark ages by the Apothecary/Physician after a tankard of ale and a leather strip upon which to bite. And I still runneth.

23. BCO
    11:52 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Harrison 1
    Harrow
    Harrison 2
    Young
    Hood
    Poythress
    Wiltjer
    Lee
    Willis
    Randle
    Johnson
    Noel

Thats extreme wishful thinking, but chalk a 40-0 season if that happens…youll have upper classman leadership, unbelievable freshmen talent, depth, and size mismatches at every position…virtually no chinks in the armor. Of course thats all on paper, but if that team happens it could go down as one of the all time greats in the sport IMO if everything works our way. Could be Cals best legit shot at a perfect season.

24. RahRah
    11:52 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Praying for Nerlens. But I refuse to get my hopes up that he’s coming back. Don’t want my heart broken again ala MKG.
    Best wishes for a full recovery, Big Guy! BBN loves ya.

25. lonnieb
    11:56 am March 11, 2013 Permalink

Some of you guys are silly

He will go somewhere that specializes in sports medicine. He will not be “the next guy on the table” after a TKA.

The swelling is the reason for the delay.

It has nothing to do with scheduling………….he is the projected number 1 pick in the draft. Unless Tom Brady has a knee surgey scheduled he is getting bumped to the top of the list……lets be serious about all this

26. UK
    12:12 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Guess Tom hasn’t heard the saying….Act like you’ve been there….oh yeah wait, he hasn’t..

27. WWMKGD?
    12:42 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Speaking of Derek Anderson. How in the world did he have surgery in January 1997 and was basically back by the Final Four that year? Less than 3 months!!! Is it simply that we know more today about appropriate time to rehab? DA did have knee issues throughout his NBA career. Makes you think he came back way too soon.

28. bluesman
    2:12 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

DA did not acually play in a game after his surgery in 97

29. bluesman
    2:17 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Crean is trying to get back some of the Knight lovers and the ones who wanted IU to hire Alford by acting like Baby uh Bobby by being a jerk himself.

30. kybigblue
    3:35 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Wonder how much money Calipari could raise for charity for people to watch him attempt two back flips.

31. STEVE!
    4:18 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

After attempting the two back flips, he could write a sequel to “Bounce Back”.