Nerlens Noel making the rounds across the state

( h/t @Chad_Sanders)
BIOlYhECQAAyHeQ.jpg_large

Nerlens addressing the students at Whitesburg Elementary (Photo by @Chad_Sanders)

Since declaring for the draft, Nerlens Noel has been touring the state, signing autographs and speaking to kids about the importance of hard work. Here are a few pictures from his trek around the Bluegrass:

BINyz8DCcAAgC_j.jpg_large

Another of Nerlens speaking at Whitesburg. Did he borrow Willie Cauley-Stein’s hipster glasses?

BIKxpJgCMAIsF8d.jpg_large BIKs4SuCQAAznsW.jpg_large

Nerlens and the ladies at Hillbilly Days.

One of the things we’ve come to love about Nerlens in his short time at UK is his focus on giving back, whether it be to the fans or members of the community in need. Noel told USA Today’s Jason Jordan that his ACL injury made him realize he can’t take anything for granted:

“It let me know that you’ve gotta cherish this game. You can’t take it for granted. I think it’s made me stronger mentally.”

Nerlens will be at Hillbilly Days again tonight (6 – 8 p.m.) and tomorrow (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.). He’ll also be signing autographs at Lexington Sports Cards tomorrow night from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Let’s enjoy him while we can.

9 Comments for Nerlens Noel making the rounds across the state

1. Jus Sayin
    5:10 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

He had turned in to a true leader. A guy like him will be successful what ever he does.

2. blah Blah
    5:15 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Sometimes when you recruit like Cal you run the risk of getting unsavory characters. But Cal has really gotten lucky with some class acts. Does Nerlens Noel a negative personality trait?

3. BlueRedNeck
    5:15 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens, I sure wish we could have you for another year, but we understand, and don’t blame you a bit for looking out for you and your family’s future. Wish you the best of luck for everything in the future, and hope your folks back home in Boston are safe and sound. Don’t be a stranger, my friend – once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat!

4. ukforever
    5:19 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to Nerlens!

5. kramer
    5:56 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

The cougars are out!

6. I got nothing
    5:57 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

This kid is completely a class act. We only got him for half a season, but he’ll always be loved by BBN fans. Good luck Nerlens!

7. Nerlens' Shaved Head
    6:09 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Looks like his flat top is shorter than usual.

8. Duuuuuude
    6:16 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Cals cement history is to recruit class act people to play. He could have had Chris Walker but passed on him. Cal has the program at the point now where he can afford to pass on a monster player from time to time if the character is questionable. It’s not for everybody.

9. Jane
    6:23 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for coming to Whitesburg. My son was so excited! Thanks.