Nerlens Noel will go pro

Noel_Nerlens_TV Head 12-13

In an announcement released by UK, Nerlens Noel says he will forgo his sophomore season and enter the NBA Draft.

“I have loved my time at Kentucky, but I feel that I’m ready to take the next step to the NBA,” Noel said. “I’ve learned so much here at UK and am thankful for Coach (John) Calipari, the staff and my teammates for all of their support. I especially appreciate the Big Blue Nation and all of the support, prayers and well-wishes I’ve received from them during my rehab and decision-making process. I’ll always be a Wildcat!

Noel is projected by many to be the first pick, and he has John Calipari’s full support:

I support Nerlens’ decision to enter his name in the draft and am excited for him and his future,” Calipari said. “The hard work and will to win he showed on the floor this year and the dedication and attitude he has shown in his rehab will only be a reward for him and whatever team drafts him in June.”

The draft is June 27th. Good luck, big fella.

62 Comments for Nerlens Noel will go pro

1. UK_JB
    10:02 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t get to see KSR on Saturday, had a long wait trying to get out of there, but it’s worth it! So this is what happens when you invest in the UK football program. People do care when UK cares.

So it’s story time uncle matt… who do you hate from the Masters?

2. RKA
    10:04 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck Nerlens!! BBN wishs you the best.

3. RKA
    10:04 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

or “wishes” whatever

4. Bluegrass
    10:05 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

While this is not unexpected, a little part of me was hoping he would stick around. I feel he never got the chance to reap the benefits of the heart he showed us. Shame. I hope he is ultra-successful at the next level. One of the most underated UK players of all time (if you can call a #1 pick underated)

5. H.A. Milton
    10:05 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins sets announcement in 3, 2, 1…

6. Ryan
    10:06 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Good for the big guy. I hope he becomes a shot blocking machine in the NBA and he and Davis compete to break the all-time shot blocking record. How amazing is it that we had the best 2 shot blockers in the history of the program in back to back years. We were sure spolied by that. Hopefully WCS and Johnson can put up where they left off.

7. roydillard
    10:07 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

GOOD LUCK BIG GUY!!! may all your dreams and wishes come true…

8. Greg
    10:09 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for your hustle and enthusiasm . You truly deserve this . Go get it big fella ! I’m out …. Peace !

9. Michael Jordan
    10:10 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

THANK YOU!!

10. josh
    10:13 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

#5 thats what I thought

11. Ukfan13
    10:14 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Although i would love to see Wiggins come to UK, part of me believes hes waiting on UNC players to make their decisions since they are the last ones to do so. Bullock is reportedly leaning towards the draft, is that what Wiggins is waiting on? Paul Biancardi thinks so.
    Regardless of where Wiggins goes, UK will have the most talented team in college basketball next year..Wiggins would just make them unstoppable

12. Trey
    10:17 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Will this decision affect were Andrew Wiggins goes to college?

13. Steady
    10:18 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodbye flat top feller.

14. Jeffrey
    10:19 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Wish the big guy all of the success he can possibly have!

15. Kev
    10:19 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Showed the heart and hustle of a champion. Proud to have him represent the Big Blue Nation.

16. Gewn
    10:24 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

12 – no

17. bluemanchew
    10:25 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

good luck you will do great and thank you for your time at kentucky

18. Al B. Frank
    10:25 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

“I am absolutely shocked that Nerlens Noel made this decision to enter the draft,” said no one.

19. Nerlens, we hardly knew ye! Good luck big guy!!!

20. Dusten
    10:31 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins comes to UK, we may have the first pick in the draft for three years in a row, and four out of five! Go Nerlens! I really wanted you to win a championship here, but I know you’ll enjoy next year as much as any of us!

21. DribbleBucket
    10:34 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Wishing Nerlens the best! One a Wildcat, always a Wildcat!

22. Gus Chiggins
    10:34 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Commence the unfollowing of the kentucky basketball app

23. Bob Dole
    10:35 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Big mistake. Will be a bust. Mark it down

24. Obvious
    10:39 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

23 – Being a bust or not doesn’t matter. When you are projected as No. 1 you go, no questions asked. If he comes back next year and breaks his leg like Ware? You have to strike while the iron’s hot. You can only go off of what you know at this moment.

25. Obvious
    10:40 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

What if**

26. Catsfan1965
    10:42 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Best wishes to Noel…I really appreaciated his hustle and hard work this year.

#11 – I do think it comes down to UNC and UK for Wiggins. KU and FSU have zero chance of winning next year, so UNC and UK represent the only realistic chance of winning it all. Of course, UK has the best shot of winning it all, but UNC can make a compelling case if McAdoo returns and I fear that Wiggins is waiting to see if he does. Because if McAdoo goes pro then UNC has no shot of winning it all with or without Wiggins. I don’t think he cares whether Bullock stays or goes because he play maximum minutes at UK or UNC regardless of what players are there.

27. OregonCat
    10:43 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

As much as I like the influx of talent that Calipari gets to come in every year and what it means as far as our chances of a national title, I do wish we could have another year or two to get to know some of these guys. That’s what made players like Bogans, Prince, Patterson so great.

…but I’m also not complaining.

28. Ukfan13
    10:44 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

26. I completely agree.

29. Joe Dennison
    10:44 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to “the Flat Top Feller”. Nerlens is one of those that you wish could stay 4 years, because of his playing, the relationship he had with the BBN, and his work away from basketball. Just a true roll model. His parents raised him well.

30. UKLIBERTY
    10:45 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens, the best of luck with your future endeavor. You were the heart of this team and you will be greatly missed. Your a great role model. Don’t change that kind heart of yours and don’t ever forget where you come from. I will always chear for you. Come back and visit once in while. Maybe to see us hang #9!!! GO CATS!!!!!

31. UKBlue1!
    10:50 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck.

32. miss you
    10:50 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A WILDCAT. WE WILL MISS YOU! I LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING YOU IN THE NBA! REPRESENT!

33. Catsfan1965
    10:51 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

#23 – How could it be a mistake to declare? He will be #1 pick most likely this year and almost certainly won’t be #1 pick next year. I’m not sure how you define “bust”, but it’s almost impossible for big guys to be busts in the NBA. There is always room on NBA rosters for big guys who are stiffs, so an extremely athletic big man like Noel will almost certainly be able to stick around for quite awhile, barring injury. Plus, why would one assume that staying in college and foregoing a year of NBA earnings he will never get back and will continue to cost him money for years to come will be better preparation then the NBA? I would say the evidence points to many more players hurting themselves by staying too long in college than leaving early.

34. Corey
    10:54 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

For someone who played so few games and was here for such a short time, you revealed every quality people like to aspire to. You are humble, courageous, sincere and just plain over the top amazing. Yes!! As you’ve said, you WILL always be a WILDCAT!!!

Thanks, Nerlens! Now go kick some NBA butts!!!

35. wildcat fan
    10:54 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

good luck to the kid i would not pass this by because next year you would not be number one becuase wiggins would be and we’re stacked next year so it’s all good.

36. Rockfield, KY
    10:58 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

He’s a top notch guy. I’ll be a fan wherever he goes. I hope it’s Charlotte with MKG.

37. WatchinginCali
    10:59 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Does it occur to anyone else that perhaps Wiggins has known all along that he was coming to UK and that Cal is simply orchestrating the timing of the announcement? Turns out Randle declares the day after UK loses in the NIT and the season is forgotten. Hawkins had an offer for over a month, but Cal asked him not to announce until he could sort out the roster (i.e., Harrow’s departure). Perhaps now that Noel has declared, the timing is right. Wouldn’t be surprised if he makes an announcement this weekend at Nike Hoops Summit. Cal is an evil genius. Glad he is on our side.

38. bosshog
    11:00 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

First, if FSU is the family connection and the overall favorite throughout, I find it hard to see why Wiggins would go there and take an active part in pounding FSU in the ACC. Secondly, Mcadoo is clearly overrated and I think Randle will impose his will on him. Randle is a better overall athlete, has a better offensive arsenal and the killer mentality. He will want that match-up. And other than Wiggins, and maybe Hairston, I think we’re better overall in the front-court and back-court.

39. bosshog
    11:01 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Whoops, I meant why would he go to UNC

40. Big Blue Coming At You
    11:07 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

He’s a special player and i wish him the best!

41. IcemanJA
    11:13 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Proof that if you lay it all out on the line and play hard night in and night out that BBN will gladly see you off to the NBA after one season. Not one bad comment made so far about Nerlens on here. Good luck Nerlens! You’ll do great!

42. Mike
    11:14 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

#11. Bullock announced yesterday he was returning to UNC and so is Hairston

43. Marvin
    11:16 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Pretty sure Matt didn’t actually read Flener’s post. They watched the movie Pearl Harbor on a team bus. But going to Hawaii does sound better.

44. Cat Fan in Georgia
    11:21 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

27 – I agree (but then again, I’m the old guy who grew up listening to the exploits of, and then watching on black and white TV, guys like Cotton Nash, Dampier/Riley, Issel/Pratt, Grevey,Givens, etc.). I love hanging banners, and I’ll enjoy #9 when it comes, but I also enjoy hanging retired jerseys. Until Cal leaves and we hang his, doubt that we’ll be seeing one anytime soon.

45. Mike
    11:23 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

#37. Exactly what I was thinking! I believe your onto something! And GOOD LUCK NERLENS. You are one class act that will be hard for anyone to follow!!!!

46. Eroc and roll
    11:23 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Bullock is projected as mid 2nd round in next years draft. He would have been an absolute fool to leave this year. Might have went undrafted

47. Nerlens Flat Top
    11:32 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Will be signing Autographs @ lexington Sports Cards here in lexington saturday from 6-730 come out and see the Flat top (along with kenny walker!

48. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens, we sure are going to miss you, but we understand that you have to make the choice that is best for you. Please come back and see us during the summers – the new kids coming in would benefit from playing against you in pickup games. Really going to miss all the class and kindness you brought to BBN, you set a great example for other players in the program.

And now, to Mr. Wiggins – COME ON DOWN!!

49. duh
    11:52 am April 15, 2013 Permalink

It was announced last week he was leaving…….. Lex Sports Cards announced autograph signing for a mystery player to be announced on Monday or Tuesday…. Did you all think it would be Jon Hood ?

50. Billy
    12:21 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

How can anyone really thank this guy for anything? He barely spent a year at UK and now jumping to the NBA. Don’t get me wrong, he’s got major upside but needs work offensively if he wants to make an impact. This is college basketball at its worst. “I’ll always be a Wildcat!” Yeah boy. You’re in BBN’s rearview now and will be forgotten in 3 years.

51. Susan
    12:26 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like a real possibility he’ll be on the Charlotte Bobcats with MKG! Look out!

52. NBA league pass
    12:27 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

33) actually there have been plenty of “big man busts” in the NBA. Kwame Brown, Shawn Bradley, Hasheem Thadbeet (who reminds me a lot of Noel in college), to name a few. Hopefully this won’t be the case for Nerlens, but I think he has a LONG way to go before he’s in NBA game shape.

53. Sterve
    12:34 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

This is a justified leave. Archie? Definitely not. Maybe if Archie’s lucky, Nerlens will hire him to wipe his ass for the rest of his life. So excited to play as Nerlens in NBA 2k14. Adios, flat-top feller

54. RahRah
    12:36 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Awww, knew this had to come but still sad. Love this kid and wish him all the very best. All heart and effort. Can’t not go when you’re a top-five pick. We’ll be watching, Nerlens!
    #BBNforever

55. Mark Liptak
    12:42 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Great kid, high energy, even with the injury since he’s still expected to be a top three pick, he needed to dothis.

Wish him all the best.

Mark Liptak

56. BlockedComments
    1:16 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Jones is smart to block the comments on the fantasy camp post. Jones is the worst basketball player I’ve ever seen. Highlight video? Of what?

57. shannon
    2:24 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck Nerlens, and of all the players Cal has had I will hate to see him go the most. Good luck and God bless.

58. blueblooded
    2:30 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Well it took it to #50 to have our first idiot, so that’s not bad.

@52, your “big man busts” may be busts compared to other high draft picks or other big men. However, Bradley and Brown were/are both in the league over ten years and made millions upon millions of dollars. Brown and Thabeet are still playing too. So while Nerlens needs to set his sights a little higher than your examples, it’s hard to argue with Nerlen’s decision when those are probably the worst case scenarios that he will have.

59. Ya boi
    2:45 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

He could have used another year to polish his offensive game but he his ceiling is so high and with a guy with hard work and dedication like that it wont be to long before he is making a name for himself in the league

60. Ya boi
    2:47 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

And this has no effect on wiggins everyone assumed nerlens was gone

61. tltaworl
    4:05 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck Nerlens. Would have been awesome to see him with a ring, but maybe he can help MKG in Charlotte.

62. Real Deal
    5:15 pm April 15, 2013 Permalink

26) UNC is returning all of its players… They made that decision last week. I truly believe we get Wiggins…. I think he will announce right after the Nike Hoop Summit…