Nerlens Noel Speaks to the “Scandal”

Lots has been said lately of the rumor-mongering that the New York Times has done under the guise of journalism, drawing ire from not only the Big Blue Nation, but other third-party media sources as well.  Even site-favorite Gregg Doyel has insinuated that the NCAA is using these reporters to do the dirty work they can’t be seen doing, and most in the industry see the baseless drama-churning for what it is: worthless.

But of the myriad opinions voiced since the story ran, one has been missing:  Nerlens Noel.  Well, Adam Zagoria fixed that late last night (or early this morning, depending on whether your sleep schedule is as stupid as mine) with this article written around a conversation with the man himself.

Spoiler alert: there’s nothing shocking.  And why should there be?  Even if there was an ounce of truth (which I highly doubt), it would be surprising for this to be the way that it got out.  But regardless, Noel has taken up for himself, and assures us that everything with his school work is just fine:

No, the NCAA hasn’t contacted me or my mom directly.  I don’t want to be too specific, but I’m in a good position to qualify.  There’s not really much I have to do to not qualify.  I’m [sic] mean, in a great position right now, there’s nothing really wrong with the situation.

It sounds like it’s just what we thought it was: a routine check into one of the nation’s most prominent high school players.  I’ll take Nerlens’ word for it when he says he’s in “great position,” and feel confident that this is really just a non-issue.

But the academic standing wasn’t all that Nerlens addressed.  Of the NYT’s implications that Nerlens has nefarious ties to Chris Driscoll and Errol Randolph, Noel simply answered:

I’m just going to leave that alone.

Then, regarding the source of funding for Noel to take his unofficial visits (which cannot be paid by the school) to UK and UofL, he said, again:

I’m going to leave that alone as well.

That may seem like a copout, but trust me: That’s probably a wise decision on his part, and doesn’t reflect in any way that he has a guilty conscience.  At this point, it probably is best that he not say anything, even if it’s in an attempt to absolve him of whatever he was accused of doing.  The facts will speak for themselves, and any quotes he provides could be taken out of context or misquoted by the very “journalists” attempting to find dirt in the first place.  The silence speaks to confidence, not guilt, that he’s in a fine position, and that will probably be pretty clear pretty quickly.

Finally, as a likely parting shot to the very sassy Ms. Thamel, Noel included this byte:

At the end of the day, the media is going to be the media and do what they do but I mean, the main thing is just to staying [sic] positive and never really letting the media get you down, cause that’s how its going to be at the end of the day.

He forgot to mention that, at the “end of the day,” he’ll be making bookoo bucks playing basketball in the NBA instead of trying to ruin young men’s lives with bad research and borderline libel.

Article written by Corey Nichols

37 Comments for Nerlens Noel Speaks to the “Scandal”

1. Houston Wildcat
    9:02 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

And those whole time the national media hasn’t run with the UNC story?

2. Hoss_Cat
    9:09 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

What a jerk Matt Jones has been the past couple of days. The Graziani guy in an earlier post did nothing for Matt to decide he’s not going to like him, except for that one little stupid comment in his description about his looks.

Now lets get back to yesterday. I download all of the podcasts and he’s never done anything to upset me, but yesterday I was shocked. Just imagine if those poor little kids were listening to KSR with their parents and got to hear matt jones and ryan lemond laughing about how they sound and mimicking them. Yes, Matt Jones that’s making fun of children even though you somehow don’t think it is. I had to fast forward through that cuz I felt like I was going to lose it. I seriously would’ve lost it if I had been in person and listening to him say all of the things that he said.

Now I’m going to describe the commercial and why they used kids. If adults had been talking in the commercial no one would listen to it cuz it’s just another safety commercial, but when people hear a little child’s voice talking about their mommy or daddy it makes most people have a soft heart except for Matt. You can tell he doesn’t have kids. I definitely didn’t expect Ryan to take part in it. Whenever the little kid wasn’t pronouncing her words perfectly it makes the listener think the child is even younger, which would make them even more dependent on their mommy or daddy. This should make most people listen even more so that they don’t do anything stupid that would ruin this child’s life. If you hadn’t decided to quit when you did after a receiving a call from an upset listener, it would’ve been my last time listening to KSR, which I have loved. I thought for a minute you was even going to make fun of the blind guy yesterday. I’m glad I’m not the father of the child that was being made fun of. That’s all I’m going to say about that matt jones.

3. HOO HOO
    9:11 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I’m so glad we aren’t playing next year. Noel would eat Zeller’s lunch. IU sucks! Go Cats!

4. IWantJust"K"OnTheFootballHelmets
    9:17 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

That’s beaucoup bucks. Not bookoo bucks. geesh

5. HOO HOO
    9:17 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I’d let Tom Crean cream and crimson all over my face!

6. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:20 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

4- I think it’s actually “buku.” It comes from the vietnamese, and was made popular during the Vietnam War. It mean “a lot” in Vietnamese. I could be completely wrong, however.

7. Dickie Z
    9:22 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

A simple link to the Zagoria article would have been sufficient. What did this post really give us that the article didn’t? Nothing. Corey Nichols….wait for it…SUCKS!

8. thanks!
    9:23 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

in france they say: merci bookoo … or marcy buckets !

9. IU#1
    9:24 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait to see Noel in action next year on the Cats’ way to #9! IU sucks! Go Cats!

10. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:26 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Noel comes across as Shaq-like. He is very outspoken, but the way he does it garners a certain kind of respect. He seems pretty wise for his age.

11. tom
    9:26 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

6. Being a Viet vet…you Mr. Biceps are absolutely correct about buku!

12. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:28 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

11- Thank you for your service, sir.

13. Sid Bream's Leg
    9:28 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Very classy and intelligent, Mr. Noel. I’m very impressed with how he carries himself. A terrific role model for younger players.

14. Roland
    9:33 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Beaucoup is a french word. France colonized Vietnam until they were driven out in 1954.

15. Uhhh
    9:38 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Uhhh…. “in a good position to qualify”….is different than: Has met the requirements to qualify. How can you take that statement as a positive. Shouldn’t he already know if he has met the requirements….?

Just don’t be to hard on him on Twitter when he doesn’t qualify.

16. Al's IndiCats
    9:39 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

2, by no means does Jones have to have me to back him up and to the fact I have kids and grand kids. I might be wrong but I think he might’ve been making fun of the saftey part where the little girl was speaking at the start of the commerical, then developed a speech impediment going deeper into that commerical, most likely at the direction of the producer. By no means am I taking up for MT. BUT If there is one commerical I absolutly CANNOT stand it’s one one about a car dealership that has a young woman talking that her parents save $432.00. It’s when after she says that, her voice volume drops off before she completes the sentence. She could be saying they saved that money, then became buried under a garbage truck. I have no idea what she says after saving that $432.00.

#1, I asked Eric Crawford about the Thamel story on how he has an “AGENDA” about Cal. He went on to say they he doesn’t, and that he’s the one that broke the story on UConn and UNC and a host of other schools. But I then asked Crawford why is it he’s breaking stories about other schools when in his OWN back yard he didn’t say word one about Boeheim’s assistant coach “Bringing” their Ballboy to all the away games, and Mello being eligible for most of the season….being ineligible for 3 weeks only to become eligible again…..THEN becoming ineligible AGAIN! The answer was the normal Dog and pony answer that Thamel is an investigative reporter for that’s his job. I them told Crawford I see the Brotherhood of Journalists are alive and well and all living in that cramped dwelling they call the first Amendment! And Witching hunting is a sport to these guys.

17. Beatle Bum
    9:44 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Did KSR add the “[sic]” to the posts?

18. Mack
    9:44 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Love the History lessons this morning. History does repeat itsself, that’s why I’m looking forward to a REPEAT this coming season.

P.S. HOSS_CAT was correct you had gone way to far making fun of the kid and if the lady caller(you should thank her) had not dressed you down you have continued to make a fool of yourself.

19. CATandMONKEY
    9:47 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Beaucoup – French.
    Bookoo- must be that Croatian language that Noel has been accused of speaking.

Thank You #s 4 and 14 for your knowledge. 11. Thanks for your service.

20. LetMeHelpYouOut
    9:52 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

15 hey moron did you even read the actual article or just this post? Noel says “Because I’m supposed to have four English’s and two of them are the same from when I switched schools, I was put in another sophomore English by Tilton school so I just have to take care of that.” Meaning he just has to finish up the course. So he can’t say he’s qualified bc the coursework isn’t complete. But he’s saying he’s in a good position to finish and complete it. Understand now?

21. Ty
    10:04 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I know Corey gets bashed but this was very haard to read. All the commas and mixing sentences together was giving me a headache. I think we all would be better served if Corey would just put links up and tell us what they are and make NO comments at all. Sorry dude, but you either are not putting any effort at all into your writing , or you simply have no talent for this.

22. 20
    10:08 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Taking classes still, not worried about passing or not….yada yada, sounds like a bunch of excuses to me…If you cannot have someone make certain you’re in the correct classes, how confident can you be that he even took all the required classes.

So all of that jazz is about as worthless as your reply.

A high school graduate is ONLY in a “good position” to qualify to play college basketball. In his terms, it should already be a slam dunk.

And no, I did not read the article… I only have enough time to let you look like a fool, apologist.

23. bluefan
    10:11 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I sure hope everything goes well for this kid. He’s won my heart without even stepping on the court. Love his attitude and his love for the BBN. Quite a character.

24. Robert Haney
    10:12 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Questions left unanswered will not be tolerated in today’s media. The comments “I’m going to leave that alone”, will not suffice. I’m a UK fan and those type comments bother me and the tone of this story is that there’s something to hide, but its not out yet. Unanswered questions are not good.

25. CATandMONKEY
    10:15 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

22 – Only one fool apparent here – and it’s not #20. An admission that you did not read the article removes any smidgen of credibility that might have been granted.

Evidently you have never been involved with guidance departments in either a high school or college situation. The nonsense I endured with the college of A&S during undergrad at UofL (graduate degree from UK)would make your head spin faster than Pitino at a post game presser after a loss.

26. Silly Troll
    10:16 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

22 ha ha you’re so stupid you don’t even understand. The only reason you didn’t read the article is bc you can’t leave this site. KSR appreciates the hits! Thanks for helping this site be more successful! Try not to be too jealous when Noel leads us to #9 next year!

27. Hoss_Cat
    11:21 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

#16 I don’t know the commercial you’re talking about so I might not like it either, but I definitely think there’s nothing wrong with a producer getting a young child to speak with a speech impediment if it’s going to possibly save some child’s mother or father. I listened to the whole thing and I don’t see how he possibly could be defended, but I hope deep down he’d never make fun of a child. Whether he wanted to or not, he would’ve crushed that little child if they had heard the way he was talking about them. Next time he’s about to say something like that he should picture that innocent little child listening to him talk about them. I believe that’d surely stop him. I’m sure Matt’s a good person, but yesterday was definitely not one of his finer moments. I love the show though so hopefully that’ll never happen again. Peace!

28. RYNO
    12:10 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

17) Is it bad that I don’t even know what [sic] means? I can’t even tell by the context, so if it was added for comedic purposes, it was lost on me. Maybe he had hiccups.

29. Smiffanator
    1:00 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

#2 I’m sorry but it sounds like you need to ease up and was the sand out of your vag. I listened to the show and they were not making fun of the child or the child’s speech disabilities. People just love to find things to complain and make a big deal of. he just stated that he did not like the commercial and wondered why they used a person that spoke that way. Ease up and enjoy the show. trust me these guys have better things to do then make fun of kids (im sure soon it will come out that they beat kittens and push over old people). Ease up buddy don’t try to find a problem in everything so that you have something to complain about!

#4 i believe it is pronounced Bukake, but I could be wrong

30. Smiffanator
    1:03 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

sorry “wash” the sand… not was

31. bart edwards
    1:11 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

28 — “sic” is inserted into a quotation by the party repeating it to indicate that the apparent error in context, spelling, or grammar is not the fault of the entity doing the quoting, but was, rather, in the original quotation. It means, “I did not make the error that immediately preceded this [sic].” Sometimes a [sic] will be inseted by a butthole trying to point out miniscule, arguable errors, but I think KSR was doing it in good faith here.

32. Corey Nichols
    2:49 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

4. I actually was going to put beaucoup, but because I’ve been blasted for using antiquated or otherwise obscure words, I went to urbandictionary to find out the vernacular spelling. True story, I swear. But you’re right, it is French, and it is officially beaucoup. Good catch.

33. Corey Nichols
    2:51 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Of course, the Vietnamse variant “buku” may also be equally valid, I’m just not familiar with it.

34. Seymour
    3:26 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Is this site accredited to teach grammar and spelling? These comments are a waste of time for most of us who want to learn things that relate to UK. I wish that we could just leave the one up man ship comments off the board.

35. bart edwards
    3:27 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Actually, ity should have been “beaucoups,” because it took the plural form, but ….
    One thing is clear: “bookoo” is not valid under any circumstances, no matter what bastardized variants are supposedly recognized by us lazy Americans. And why would anyone ever consult “urbandictionary” for anything? WTF? Since when is THAT a useful resource for editing a publication? You’re not writing on a bathroom wall, here, son.
    No wonder we Kentuckians are made fun of by the rest of the country. Corey, here is the best advice I can give you: if you don’t really know how to use or spell a particular word or phrase, DON’T USE THE DAMNED PHRASE! Voila! Merci beaucoup.

36. bart edwards
    3:31 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

34. I could not disagree more. We lose a LOT of readers who are disgusted by having to face the gross ignorance that afflicts so many lazy, uneducated Kentuckians these days, or who get sick and tired of having to decipher what somebody was trying to say because the writer doesn’t care to learn how to write his own native tongue. It ain’t really that hard. The posts themselves ought to be semi-professional, and sadly, they often are not. They perpetuate the negative stereoptypes that we Kentuckians are ignorant hicks. It’s worth taking the extra time to learn your native tongue.

37. Hoss_Cat
    4:23 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

#36 omg stfu you douche bag. It wouldn’t be fun to post if everyone had to proofread their comments.