Nerlens Noel named to the SEC Community Service Team

nerlensnh

Time and time again this season, Nerlens Noel has shown us that while he’s got amazing skills on the court, he’s got an even bigger heart off of it. Noel has spent a good chunk of his free time this season visiting local children’s hospitals and nursing homes to lift spirits and spread goodwill. How much time? According to UK, Nerlens has served more than 100 hours of community service since arriving on campus. For that, he has been named to the SEC Community Service team.

nerlens-specialolympics Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 9.04.44 AM

Thank you, big fella.

11 Comments for Nerlens Noel named to the SEC Community Service Team

1. RealCatsFan
    5:47 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Wow, BBN is going to miss you, Nerlens! Please come back and help bring back #9! ๐Ÿ™‚

#PrideOfBBN

2. SKat
    5:55 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Prayers to Nerlens for his surgery. You have the best team surrounding you big fella! #BBN

Regarding dunk over Brandon Knight, here is a sports writer who got it right:

3. CrimsonCee
    6:02 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I get on you guys sometimes and of course I am a lifelong Indiana fan (all hail the Big Ten champs and the best team in the land), but I really like Nerlens. It was the biggest shame of the season when he went down. Just an immense talent and a great kid and a guy I really hope sticks around another year because he’s great for the college game. I wish him the best on his recovery and a great 2013-2014, no matter where he plays. I don’t envy the one-and-done players that UK gets, not because I think it’s wrong or anything, but from a fan standpoint I want to watch guys grow and figure it out and reach their potential and have a continuity from year to year. Winning is the name of the game, but it’s truly not everything that’s great about following a college team. That said, man I wish we had recruited Noel. Great, great player and person

4. David from Bowling Green
    6:04 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I respect him so much for his community service. Such a mature young man. I’m proud he’s a Wildcat!

5. RealCatsFan
    6:14 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Crimson, thanks for the props on Nerlens. Much appreciated. I would love to see him stay as well, and not just for what he does on the court, but for stuff like this. I have to say that Oladipo is the real deal as well – hell of a player. I also have to say that I have always had a lot of respect for the IU program through the years, which is mainly why I rag on you guys so hard for some of the crazy stuff they are doing like cutting nets for a share of a conference title, Sweet Sixteen rings, etc. You guys have been there before (5 times), so they should act like it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Peace out, my man.

6. Merlins
    6:19 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I bet Noel crushed all them old ladies.

7. Linda Taylor
    6:39 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

3 – “I donโ€™t envy the one-and-done players that UK gets, not because I think itโ€™s wrong or anything, but from a fan standpoint I want to watch guys grow and figure it out and reach their potential and have a continuity from year to year.”
    That is where you don’t “get it”. Nerlens already has it figured out. He is extremely mature for his age. He won’t reach his potential until he is well into his NBA career just like EVERY other NBA player. You are being selfish wanting the players to stay when they are ready to go on. They risk catastrophic injury every day for your pleasure. At least in the NBA they are getting paid well for it. We would love to keep players like Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Knight, Davis, and Gilchrist but it would have been very selfish of us to do so. Therefore, we say goodbye, welcome them home with open arms when they come back and welcome in the new family members. In the end our family just gets larger and we have more young men to celebrate. I am paying much more attention to the NBA than I have in years because of our kids. This year we have kids who really aren’t ready for the NBA with the exception of Nerlens. He is one of the finest young men to ever wear the blue and white and will be beloved in KY forever. Whether he goes to the NBA or decides to stay for another year I only want him to do what is in his best interest. He deserves nothing but the best.

8. truBLU
    6:49 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

You can tell on his face that he is genuinely enjoying helping others and for that I give much props to Nerl the Pearl

9. DJCats
    7:23 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Not only has he excelled off the court with his selfless service to the community, but he has also embraced, from the beginning, the spirit of wearing the Kentucky uniform and the positive impact he has had on the BBN. If you read this blog big fella, thank you for being a “model player”…one who knows what it means to be a UK CAT both on and off the court…one I hope future cats will emulate! All the best to you on your surgery and the journey that follows to getting you back on the court, whether in the NBA or at another chase for #9!

10. CrimsonCee
    9:17 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

7 – I figured someone would find a way to call me a name when all I was really saying was Nerlens Noel is a great player and human being that I truly respect. I’m not arguing with Kentucky’s approach one bit and I never said guys shouldn’t leave early for the NBA. I don’t want Oladipo or Zeller to leave Indiana, but I wouldn’t be mad at them if they did. They need to take care of themselves and get paid. But Oladipo is a perfect example of what I was saying. No one wanted the guy. He was a little-regarded 3-star when he came in. Game-by-game, minute by minute, IU fans were treated to his maturation into a Wooden Award candidate. I’m not saying he couldn’t have matured in the NBA (and he will get even better in the League), I’m just saying that it was a true joy to watch him grow and I’d rather see him do it for the team I love than in the NBA. That’s what I meant when I said there’s more to being a college ball fan than winning. Again, UK’s approach works, and I want 5-star recruits too (and they are coming to IU at a decent clip), but personally I want some lesser regarded guys that stick around a few years and grow with my team. The NBA is fun to watch, but it’s the heart of the college game that makes us love it and watching Oladipo collapse to the floor after giving his all to give IU a Big Ten title, after struggling to get to that point for three seasons, that’s a moment all the roster turnover will never provide. Again, not an attack – I want titles too. Just saying, I’d never want a guy to stay who is clearly ready to go (again, Zeller and Oladipo should both go, but I’ll be ok with them returning, of course), but I’d like to recruit guys who will stay around a few years. Anyway, I don’t
    Think it would hurt Noel to come back and work on his offense for a year, lottery pick or
    not. But, he’ll get paid to learn on the job, so its his choice obviously.

11. Linda Taylor
    1:42 am March 12, 2013 Permalink

10 – What you don’t seem to get is how much our one and done guys love UK and how much we love them. We also have kids that stay longer than one year like Darius Miller (4), Jarrod Polson (3 so far, a former walk-on who has become a huge contributor and is graduating in 3 years), Jon Hood (3 so far plus a medical redshirt year and is graduating), Kyle Wiltjer (2 so far), Twany Beckham (2 after transferring, was expected to contribute this year but had back surgery), etc. Most of these kids will never play pro ball but we get to watch them develop and give their all and they are all loved and appreciated. Cal recruits kids that are expected to be here longer than one year like Bledsoe and Teague but they develop so much that they are able to go on to the NBA. WCS was expected to be a project that would be here at least 2 but probably more years, yet he is being projected as a lottery pick. Derek Willis is coming in next year and is expected to be a 4 year player. You act like all we have are one and dones and that is inaccurate. You have said many nice things about Nerlens but I have read many of your posts where you were a jerk and I haven’t forgotten about them. One nice post doesn’t erase a bunch of hateful ones. I don’t like your coach (how embarrassing is he, screaming at the MI assistant, “I’ve been thinking about you a lot, a whole lot”). I don’t like your team and those ridiculous striped clown pants they wear. I especially don’t like your obnoxious, rude fans. You have to admit you have done more than your share of being obnoxious and rude in the past. Don’t pretend you are just a nice guy saying nice things all the time.