Nerlens Noel believes he can be the best defender in the league

nerlens-noel

The NBA Draft is exactly one month from today, and Nerlens Noel is doing his best to convince the Cleveland Cavaliers he’s worthy of the number one pick. In an interview with USA Today’s Alex Kennedy, Noel says that he plans on returning from his knee injury better than ever: “I definitely feel that I’m still suitable for the [No. 1 pick]. I’m 100% confident that I can not only get back to [where] I was at, but get stronger and come back better.”

Even more so, Noel says that he feels he can be the best defender in the NBA: “I definitely feel that I can be [the best defender in the league]. I have to do a lot of work and make sure I bring it every night, but I think I can get there. …I know it will take a lot of work, but I definitely want to put the time and work in to be one of the top players in the NBA. That’s a dream come true and I’ll definitely take advantage of it so I definitely feel that I can become one of them and reach my full potential.”

Noel added that playing at Kentucky right after the team won the title helped prepare him for the pressure and expectations that come with being the projected number one pick: “At the beginning of the season at Kentucky, I definitely felt pressure coming in with [the 2012 National Champions]. I definitely feel that will help me a lot in this process. It made me have a whole different attitude. I’m used to it now, more than I was last year.”

And if Cleveland does select him first? “It would mean a lot to me. It would definitely be a dream come true. If I get that opportunity, wherever I get drafted, I’ll just bring 100 percent effort and try to contribute right away. … I’m a hard worker who’s going to bring it every day in the gym. I’m going to do my best to be the best leader that I can be. I’ll do whatever I can for my team so we can win games.”

How can you not root for this guy?

10 Comments for Nerlens Noel believes he can be the best defender in the league

1. Andrew
    12:55 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I refuse to root for Kyrie Irving, i saw him at the allstar game his rookie year when he was in the skills challenge to help the kids get scholarships. While John Wall, Tony Parker, Rondo was talking to their kids that they was playing for, Kyrie was ignoring his and talking to celeberties and other players. The dude is a jerk. At least some Dukies have class like Luol Deng and Grant Hill. Kyrie is a bigger jerk than Lattener and JJ Reddick. sorry about my rant but i really can’t stand him.

2. mudcreekmark
    1:02 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I love Noels attitude. However, I just don’t know about how good he can be. Jarvis Varnado was a similar player.Similar body, similar offensive limitations. If fact Varnado holds the NCAA record for block shots. He had no offensive game to go along with his defense and never made it in the NBA. Now you are taking Noel with the number one pick? Anthony Davis was a better shot blocker IMO and he averaged less than 2 a game this year. I just don’t see Noel being a great NBA player.

3. Ridge Runner
    1:07 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Love his attitude & confidence and since no one really knows how good they will be till they hit the NBA hardwoods…taking this kinda frame of mind into the league can only be a positive.

4. Matt Jones
    1:09 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Clue #4: I will be spending the next two weeks in Bangkok

5. Sito
    1:13 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Jules Camara has been deported per ESPN Deportes

6. Defense
    1:21 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens was better at blocking his own man better than Anthony was. Anthony was a better blocker out on the perimeter. Both are great players and both will do fine in the NBA.

7. Slobodan
    1:25 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Please let Alan Cutler host the show while Matt is gone

8. Give him a chance
    2:25 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

#2 every one has a opinion and I do see how you have came to yours, but I disagree. I think every one is too caught up in blocks when it comes to Nerlens but he is a lot better defender then Vernardo and Davis IMO. Nerlens seems to understand defense and seemed to always be in the right position. For Nelens it’s not just the blocks it’s the steals and deflections as well. I dont think his offense is as bad as many. He did have some moves in the post and can be dangerous out on a break.
    He’s a quick leaper who can finish around the rim. He doesn’t have the range or handle as Davis but not many men that size do. I don’t think he will be great in the NBA but he can be very good. Given the lack of talent in this draft I haven’t seen anybody I would draft over him this year. He will have a long productive career similar closer to Camby then Davis!

9. Wildcatsteeler
    3:52 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

The very unfortunate injury is gonna really set Noel back. He didn’t get the rest of the season to develop and increase his stock. Then to add insult to injury he’s not gonna be able to be a factor next season for whatever team takes him because of how long it takes to heal and rehab. And it makes scouts question his durability because of how skinny he is. Derek Andersons story gives me hope for him though.

10. chachi
    5:23 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

1 – wtf? Who said anything about Kyrie Irving?