Nerlens Noel: 2nd Most Intriguing Player

intrigue (in-TREEG): to arouse the curiosity or interest of by unusual, new, or otherwise fascinating or compelling qualities.

Nerlens Noel, amidst the hub-bub garnered by the Hurricane Sandy telethon, was named Pat Forde’s second-most intruiging player in the upcoming basketball season.  In first was Cody “Helen” Zeller.

2. Nerlens Noel, Kentucky center: It’s a big burden, being labeled The Next Anthony Davis. The nation’s No. 1 recruit in the class of 2012 doesn’t have Davis’ all-around polish or skill, but he can block shots like a beast and will be key to the Wildcats’ title defense.

Not a lot of new information there, but you almost wonder how Nerlens didn’t get the top spot on this particular list.  Being a freshman, logically, should make a player more intriguing to hoops pundits, because there’s so much they don’t know.  If it was a list of “Best” players, I could understand putting Zeller first.  At least for now.  He’s had the opportunity to prove a lot more.

But that’s just the thing; he’s proved a lot more.  There are almost zero unknown quantities to Cody Zeller.  Nerlens, meanwhile, has a lot of question marks.  That’s a double-edged sword, because while there’s tons of potential for improvement and upside, he’s not yet where he needs to be if the team is going to win a championship.  And, knock on wood, he might not get there. (Don’t worry, he will.)  But how is that not more intriguing than the same old center, surrounded by the same old starting lineup?  Plus, hey, flat top, right?  Agree to disagree, Forde.

Peyton Siva, Shabazz Muhammed, and C.J. Leslie rounded out the top five.  Their most intriguing questions were “How did people think I was as good as John Wall?,” “Will I ever get to play a game?,” and “Why do I look like an moose with no antlers?,” respectively.

The season, and Nerlens’ follow-up campaign for Player of the Year, starts tomorrow night.  We’ll see how intriguing he is when he’s averaging 14/11/4.  Meanwhile, feel free to resume Petrino Watch 2012.

Article written by Corey Nichols

24 Comments for Nerlens Noel: 2nd Most Intriguing Player

1. dude
    9:07 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

every morning i get on here at 9 for the morning post, and every morning i’m disappointed.can’t you do some collaborative work on a post or something?

2. SeoulCat
    9:07 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Bobby Petrino: 1st most intriguing coaching candidate

3. Al B. Frank
    9:13 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

A quick scan of the names on this list leads me to believe it is basically the same type of “top players” list that every other sports “journalist” and/or hack seems to be writing, just with a different name… perhaps to make the list seem more “intriguing”. Seriously? Noel, Zeller, Muhammed, Canaan, Pressley, McDermott… the same names that are on every pre-season player rankings list. Talk about original content. Oh… but he names the article “intriguing players” instead of “top players” or “players to watch”. Great job, there Forde! Way to mail this one in!

4. kingrex
    9:15 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

On second thought after reading the full interview with his father, I have decided Petrino falls somewhere on the autism spectrum. The eery ability to remember interiors of all recruits’ houses as a child while on the road with his dad, the inability to connect with players and the supernatural ability to be an offensive guru. This could explain his bizarre behavior over the years as he leaves jobs suddenly without any thought for promises, fans or players. I remember reading after he left about how almost no Falcon player had actually spoken to him. If he is on the autism spectrum then this explains his behavior and hence makes hiring him much easier.

5. Al B. Frank
    9:16 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

By the way, I don’t have a problem with Corey’s posting and comments about the article. I’d have never known about it otherwise. I think certain “dudes” are never going to be satisfied with anything and are just looking for reasons to complain. I see nothing to complain about here, other than Forde’s unoriginal article.

6. wilDCat
    9:17 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

The post had potential, but then Corey up and finishes far too quickly like someone we know who coaches just down the road. There is a lot of opportunity to expand on the points you were starting to make Corey, as they were actually good points, but your failure to do so makes it look like a lazy effort at just filling your 9:00 AM spot. If you want to be more successful on the blog, own it. The jabs at the other players were good, but not quite enough to carry what should be a good chunk of information to digest for the first post of the day.

Expand on the intrigue of Nerlens Noel. It started with Nerlens’s recruitment. As it got closer and closer to his announcement it seemed more and more that he may have not ended up at Kentucky, but then he turned around and showed off the shave job in the back of his high-top fade, which started him on the path of intrigue. Nerlens Noel is an excellent shot blocker, but will he be able to step up to the plate and blocks shots in the way that AD did last year? Is he capable of not just blocking those shots, but keeping them in play and not only stopping the other team but creating scoring opportunities for us? Will his offensive game be able to develop in a way as to be truly effective on both sides of the court? We have already seen that Nerlens will be part of the Two Tower offense with WCS, something that neither player has really had experience with and something that is not done often. How will Noel adapt to that type of offense? And better yet, will he be able to adapt to that and also adapt to transitioning between different offensive schemes as UK will have to do constantly during games? And the most intriguing question of all, which you did not ask, is, will he be able to rise to the occasion after all of the talk since he first picked UK that he is the next Anthony Davis, a guy who broke records, won a national championship, was first pick in the draft, and won a gold medal, all in a single year?

Come on Corey, see how easy that was. Own it.

7. Kiddekat
    9:23 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Come on, folks! Enogh of the “next Anthony Davis” references. He is not “the second Anthony Davis.” He is “the FIRST Noel.” Shall we sing?

8. Randy Marsh
    9:24 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

#6 – Wow, I can’t believe you took the time to write on this message board and have it suck that badly

9. dude
    9:24 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

There ya go Al B., #6 said it best. He puts in limited effort. If you don’t got the time, don’t post anything at all. Just sayin’

10. dude
    9:25 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

i dont agree with the content of #6’s post but at least he put in the effort.

11. cracka
    9:26 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

whatever happened to the ksr poll? i’d like to see a “who do you want as your new football coach?” poll.

12. Mitch B
    9:40 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Please bring Bobby to the bluegrass!

13. B. Patrino
    9:45 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Hello all

I have submitted my resume via the University of Kentucky website for the open football head coaching position. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it might be before I heard anything. I am extremely interested in this position and think I could reach and even exceed the expectations of the administration and fans for the job. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking to someone soon.

Yours Truly

B. Patrino

14. RealCatsFan
    9:47 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Meh – apparently some of the fans have reached the point where all they want is to find something to bitch about. Well, at least #6 offered some constructive criticism.

Maybe one of the KSR writers needs to delve in a little deeper on the IU / Indiana Elite AAU scandal that was funneling players to the program. There were several articles about it on ESPN over the past couple of years. One of the articles even mentioned the founder of Indiana Elite angling to adopt DeAndre Liggins in order to exert more control and steer him towards IU.

15. #6
    9:59 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Hey Matt, hey Matt, hey Matt… look at me, read my post. I want a job writing for KSR. If I put down Corey (or other KSR employees) enough, I’m sure you’ll hire me, right, right, right?

Don’t worry about child labor laws, my Mommy and Daddy will provide a note saying its OK for me to write for KSR.

16. Jorts4Life
    10:11 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

13 – hey coach, one key to being seriously considered for the vacant head football coach position might be learning to spell your name correctly. Just a thought…

17. B. Patrino
    10:21 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

16 – Thanks for noticing 1 of the ‘issues’ with my post. There are more – keep looking. There is a sticker in it for ya if you can find them all. Good luck!

18. Carl
    10:41 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

I thought Forde was dead. Who even reads that hack anymore?

19. HicksPickSix
    10:54 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

Corey Nichols giving credence a Pat Forde article is like Peyton Siva asking Austin Rivers for tips on jump shot mechanics. Forget real recognizing real; crap recognizes crap.

20. HicksPickSix
    10:54 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

*giving credence TO a Pat Forde article. How Corey of me.

21. HicksPickSix
    11:16 am November 8, 2012 Permalink

15 – Corey? Is that you again?

22. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    12:33 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Why would you ever link a Forde story? Just stupid. Don’t click that link.

23. Corey Nichols
    1:46 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

19-21 – Unlike those who need anonymity to cover their cowardice, I only post using my real name.

24. HicksPickSix