NCAA Chair: 13 bubble teams fighting for 2-6 remaining at-large bids

NCAA Chair Mike Bobinski shared a few thoughts with CBS just a short while ago. One comment he made in particular pertains directly to Kentucky:

13 Bubble teams are being considered for 2-6 remaining at-large spots. Yikes.

Bobinski also made a comment about the importance of the most recent conference tournament games in comparison with the body of work from the rest of the season. Sometimes we get caught up in the moment, believing that one recent result by one team could trump the season’s work of another. “The games being played at this point are important, but not more important than what happened over the course of the season.”

Bobinski also reports that 1 team is firmly on the 1 line (Gonzaga? Indiana?) with 5 in the mix for the remaining three slots (Indiana? Duke? Louisville? Miami? Kansas?)

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

54 Comments for NCAA Chair: 13 bubble teams fighting for 2-6 remaining at-large bids

1. BiffTannen
    4:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I’m still holding out hope (I haven’t bought into Lunardi since he screwed up Duke as a 1 seed 2 years ago), but it looks bleak.

2. Makers Man
    4:36 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

If it is 6 spots, and we are 1 of 13, I like our chances.
    Any less than 6 (meaning a conference tournament upset – go Florida) and we are NIT bound

3. Laker Cat 18
    4:38 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Now or during the regular season, we’re done. I wasn’t really sure what Matt was thinking when he called us a lock after beating Florida. We played terrible against Vandy. We’ve got the athletes, just not a very good TEAM.

4. kentuckycarter
    4:38 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

They have to take into account the fact that even if our first two games are in Honolulu that BBN will pack it out right? Alot of it is about money and BBN spends it to be where our team is. Has to help us

5. Just relax BBN
    4:38 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We are going to get in and play in Dayton. While I’m not so self (UK) consumed to think he was speaking directly to the BBN, comments like those are laying the groundwork for a team like UK getting in…..oh, and the tv ratings from UK in a play in game are hard to ignore. They won’t care about Dayton’s economy but they do care about their precious advertising revenue generated from ratings. So, we get to play early (Tuesday) and maybe win a couple games to end the season on a better note! Go Cats…….keep calm and carry on!

6. Coach Cal Says
    4:42 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Get ready for the NIT boys…..Now lets go burn some couches & take our teeth out…..YEEEEEEE-HAWWWWW
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Hoosier Mania
    4:44 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Level up the trailers & put in a chew….we are going to the N.I.T. Coach Cal rocks….

8. Matt Jones
    4:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Well looks like I put my foot in my mouth once again by saying we are a lock after Florida handed us the game last week…..One day I will stop listening with my big mouth open…

9. KY
    4:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Root for Vandy, UNC, and VCU so that Ole miss, Maryland and Umass all go into selection sunday with a loss.. If that happens than MAYBE we can slide in somewhere but if not than we should just hang them up until next year

10. i get that
    4:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

4 – I understand about the money and stuff, but I don’t know if it does much to influence the tourney. My personal opinion though is that I think a less talented team that played to their potential should get a shot over a kentucky team that really underachieved. These UK players are handed everything from day one and will move on to pro contract(s?) They’ll get their shot at one contract in the NBA anyway. I say give it to a bunch of guys who will carry on the memory of the ncaa tourney for the rest of their lives. This team does not deserve a bid (again, my opinion), and I doubt they worked any harder than any other team. These guys are top talent, but not one of the best teams. There is a difference, and I’d rather see a cohesive team that plays well lose a close game (or be a threat to an upset) than a bad UK team get blown out by a mid-tier team.

With all that being said, if UK is chosen to participate on Sunday, I’ll take it..Go Big Blue! lol

11. remaining anonymous
    4:51 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I guarantee we’re in.

12. Alan
    4:53 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Indiana is clearly not that overall #1 team. There’s going to be a cloud of meth and misery over that state tonight.

13. big brother
    4:54 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I have to say after being rated #3 in the preseason & now not even making the tourney is a hard pill to swallow. Never thought we would be facing this kind of season under Cal. I mean lets face it maybe he isn’t that good of a coach, after all anybody could have coached last years team. It’s all easy & he looks like a genius when we are winning but him & his staff did a pathetic job this year on X’s & O’s period. You can’t spin it any other way…..

14. Doubting Thomas
    4:54 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

How can the defending National Champion with a 22/12 record be denied a spot in the tournament? Doesn’t make sense if we don’t get in. There is definitely a bias against Ky but this year has been extremely negative against us. Every newspaper or TV sports person has had something negative to say about Ky. Let me say this, WE ARE THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS and we have won it all 8 times. GO BLUE!!!!!!

15. Bob
    4:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

7, how’s that Wisky ass tasting right about now?

16. big brother
    4:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@11….you my friend are on drugs! Please get help….Don’t blame you for being anonymous..

17. fireant
    4:56 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We suck and should be excluded. Why is there any discussion about this?

18. kentuckycarter
    4:56 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

10- I understand what you are saying, and in some ways you are exactly right. However, its all about ratings and economy boosting. It always has been. When our name is mentioned in that war room the faithfulness of BBN and what we bring to the table will be brought up. And it will be hard to look past that.

19. big brother
    4:59 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@14….your living in the past son & it is not a conspiracy against us. We just flat out SUCK…face it, the truth will set you free BOY! STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR WHAT WE COULDNT CLOSE OUT OURSELVES!

20. Roland
    5:01 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

This is a long weekend for the BBN.

21. GoForIt
    5:04 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

11-with a statement like that put your name to it. Don’t hide behind a silly keyboard.

22. Better think again
    5:04 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Any body who thinks we should be in needs their head examined. My God we are pathetic, just admit it & stop trying to spin it any other way. The world is not against us…we just SUCK! WOW!

23. Better think again
    5:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@ 21……well put! DITTO…

24. GoForIt
    5:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Comments like those 11 are getting everyone’s hopes up. Stop it!! We’re out!! They know will give money and ratings to the NIT. It goes both ways. Why are people not talking about that.

25. Just relax BBN
    5:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@5. I completely agree! Oh yeah, I wrote it. Geez, there are some grumpy ass people posting. I don’t get UK haters coming in this site. I would never go to a UL or IU site. Live ur life people!…..as for all the UK fans hating on this team, u take it entirely too seriously. We are coming off elite 8, final 4 and a national championship. Relax folks! Cal’s a great coach and we will be fine next season!….and I still say we play in Dayton on Tuesday!

26. Mike
    5:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Let’s hope we don’t get in….why would any of you think there is any chance that we can suddenly stop the bleeding and become a UK basketball team? We don’t deserve to be playing in any tourneys. The standards are very high at UK, as they should be, but the chemistry between these team members and coaching staff is abysmal. We are the laughing stock of the collegiate basketball world.

27. save us the embarrassment
    5:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Any motivated team would beat UK badly. NIT or play in game, it will end ugly. The positive part is that the NIT wouldn’t be watched as much but UK will be the talk of espn when they do get blown out.

28. Wild Blue
    5:17 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

IU only scored 8 more points today than UK scored last night. They have peaked and are on the downhill slide. Go Badgers.

29. Yuck
    5:18 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Lunardi says the tard will be the overall 1 seed with a win tonight.

30. Cal'sFrontButt
    5:19 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

LEVEL UP YOUR TRAILERS, GREASE ALL YOUR FOUR WHEELERS, PUT A CHEW IN & BRING IN ALL YOUR WASHERS FROM THE FRONT PORCH & PUT YOUR TEETH IN……WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A COUCH BURNIN DOWN IN THE HOLLAR

31. Predicting the future
    5:19 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Here’s what is to come for this UK team…

Goodwin – lottery pick. One contract, spends most of time in D-League with so many other UK players, before going overseas.
    Poythress – See above.
    Harrow – transfers to Division 2 school so he won’t have to sit out another year. Destination..North Georgia – a place where he’s from and has had a few Division 1 transfers in the past.
    Noel – solid 12 year career in NBA.
    WCS – goes pro this year, sits the bench for many years, never becomes much. Will face Poythress or Goodwin in the Chinese league championship in 2020.
    Mays, Wiltjer – like most other NCAA athletes, goes pro in something other than sports.

32. Mc
    5:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

How are teams like Colorado and cal a lock? These rpi systems are a joke. Oregon is not that good. The PAC-12 is overrated. There are a lot of bad teams in this tournament. Granted we had games we needed to win, and didnt get it done, but the bubble this year should be about 20 deep.

33. remaining anonymous
    5:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

23, 24. The NIT. So typical, Vanderbilt plays the game of their lives. Threes hitting off the rim on three bounces. Today they can’t buy a three.

34. Laker Cat 18
    5:31 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Can someone put last night post game on podcast here soon?

35. Mike
    5:34 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

The might Vandy succumbs to the power house Ole Miss…that’s o.k. though…they can always boast about beating UK’s A$$…they and everyone else…gotta luv a guy like Henderson though…wish we had someone on our team with that ability, skill, and passion.

36. Issel's two front teeth
    5:58 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Do we really want to see the product, that CoachCal put on the floor Friday again, this year? We were the team that would have one or two hilight moments during a game, and get all fired up, just to set on our hands the rest of the game, and then lose! We were that team.
    Next year please!

37. markp
    6:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

If we don’t get into the big dance then skip the NIT. Boring and why risk further embarrassment and get beat there, too. I say we should be in but don’t expect much of a show from these heartless wonders.

38. BBN
    6:07 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

There are a lot of people (ex. NCAA leadership, national media, rival fanbases and coaches) that very much want to see UK left out of the NCAA Tourney field. To make matters worse, the UK team is now sitting with its nose open for the tournament committee. Make no mistake about it, UK is headed to the NIT. My only question is, why is Lunardi projecting Missouri and Cincinnati as locks to make the tournament field? That makes no sense.

39. Cal'sFrontButt
    6:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Am I clever or what? I made some stereotypical comments, combined them with a funny name, and am begging for your attention. Hope it worked.

40. Bill says
    6:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Florida, Ole Miss, UK and Missouri. Write it down. We beat all three, some with Nerlen and some without.
    Bama is on the bubble.

41. markp
    6:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

38 you are absolutely right about the haters out there of UK and Coach Cal.

42. Hoosier Mania
    6:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am so funny. Perhaps I should worry about my own team with it’s poor performance lately. But I do prefer to troll on your site because I still feel inferior. And actually, I am…

43. Bill says
    6:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Florida might make the sweet sixteen, every one else out in the first round.

44. Cal'sFrontButt
    6:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I change my name frequently but my comments are pretty consistent. You are all tootless, tobacco-chewing hilljacks and I am a wealthy, urbane sophisticate that for some strange reason, likes to post on this site…

45. Reality
    6:16 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Jesus. How pathetic are some of your lives. Bashing Cal and these players for having a rough season. They got their best 2 wins and 2 worst losses without the #1 recruit. They are a young team without a decent point guard. I’m sure they feel bad about it but some of you need to grow up. Life will go on.

46. Reality Rocks
    6:20 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for your voice of sanity #45!

47. Mike
    6:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

excuse the type o’s guys. I’m going double knuckle on my butthole while I type. I am angry and when I’m angry, I go double knuckle on my anus. HOLLA!

48. Money
    6:24 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Only way Kentucky makes the tournament is if there are plenty of tickets for the first round games in Dayton Oh. If there are Kentucky is in cause the NCAA will know they will get a sale out for at least one of the two days in Dayton. Simple as that.

49. makers man
    6:37 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

48- dayton has been sold out for months. Always is.

50. DMV
    6:38 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I really don’t think uk will get in but I guess a small argument could be made. I know the SEC is down but all of basketball is. The only conference that is legit is the big ten. They have five teams that could make a run to final four. . I truly believe if Kentucky was in the Big East they would have same record as do now. Because big east they would be in. I in no way think SEC is great but may not be as bad as people think. They did finish second overall. In the end three losses in last four games will be what did them in though

51. Cats in the NBA
    6:45 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Sad thing is it looks like Shabazz made the right decision, after all.

52. Exactly 45, things are going to be so much sweeter this week. Our future is bright as it’s ever been. Everybody was bummed about last night but the sun rose, the car started, IU got beat, and hopefully Boehiem will have a coach’s dream tonight….GO CATS!
    Although I do have a question I kinda wondered who Cream went after the game today?

53. Jerry
    7:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

This is what happens when you practice with players who are not good enough to play for UK players like long,malone,and others have no business even being on the same court if you practice against these players of course your going to look good. With the fact we was not deep enough at the 3,4 is what has kill us.I also think cal should take some of the blame for not changing to fit the team the zone would have work much better for this team but cal did not use it.Front now on we should have enough good players to practice without using walkin type players so we can get a true gange of where are team really is.

54. nerlensnoelshair
    9:03 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

They will weigh heavily how we have played without Nerlens, after all that’s who we now are. Blown out by 30, two bad road losses to two mediocre teams, looked horrible on a neutral court last night. I don’t see us getting in, but bad as we are there are some really bad basketball teams this year and they have to fill the 68 with somebody.