NBBJ named Rupp/Lexington Center architect, Hunt Construction named builder

PAULEY_2190_966x668
NBBJ redesigned UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion

The Rupp Arena/Lexington Center now has an architect and a builder. The Lexington Center Corporation just approved the decision to hire Los Angeles architectural firm NBBJ to redesign and renovate Rupp Arena and the Convention Center, and Hunt Construction to build it.

NBBJ recently redesigned UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion, details of which you can see here. Hunt Construction built the original Rupp Arena back in the 70’s. According to Jon Hale of KYForward, Joe B. Hall is in attendance at the meeting and praised both firms’ work.

Check out this video of NBBJ’s work on Pauley Pavilion:

This was the rendering NBBJ submitted for the Rupp feasibility study in January 2012. They hope to have the final design and renderings ready by November:

BO0uEGrCAAI7e0w

To see more of NBBJ’s renderings from January 2012, click here.

More details as we know them…

11 Comments for NBBJ named Rupp/Lexington Center architect, Hunt Construction named builder

1. jpbky2
    11:11 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

It will be interesting to see if they can do all the work without having to play their home games elsewhere.

2. ryan in denver
    11:23 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

but will it have SYNERGY? it will also need to shift the paradigm.

3. Chicago
    11:33 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

Hunt Construction has a pretty ridiculous resume of impressive arenas… Barclay’s Center, Amway Center, Time Warner Cable Arena… Good decision to hire them back for this renovation.

4. Cliche Stuff
    11:33 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

Good point #2, clearly it also has to be “win-win”

5. tuxedo park
    11:34 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

hope it’s not the same team from Hunt I’m working with right now… those guys should really change their name to something that rhymes with what they have currently…

6. Nick
    11:53 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

They should have gotten Dudley-Webb, what with their proven track record of success.

7. Jvice
    12:09 pm July 10, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if the Webb brothers even had the gall to make an attempt at getting this job? I would hope they’d be blacklisted from any projects of actual importance from now on.

8. CardFan
    12:09 pm July 10, 2013 Permalink

I like the fact they are renovating instead of building a new arena, if anything just to keep the Rupp name. I am not a fan of the Corporate logos, though in todays day and age it is necessary.

9. Han
    1:04 pm July 10, 2013 Permalink

I like that the UCLA video highlights increasing home court advantage, modernizing without forgetting history, and focusing on tradition when it’s a valuable asset.

10. WestCoastUKfan
    1:17 pm July 10, 2013 Permalink

As a Kentucky fan living on the West coast, I find the news that the same company that renovated Pauley Pavillion will be renovating Rupp as very disturbing and unwelcome news. I have actually been in the new Pauley, and while the new Pauley does look very modern and is, overall, extremely nice. I can say for a fact that the sight lines to the court from the second level are AWFUL. I was sitting in the upper deck and at least 1/3 of the court was obstructed by railings and glass when you sat in your seat.

I will concede that they will definitely make the arena look nice, but I’m not convinced that they will care about what we, as Kentucky fans, really all care about, which is watching the game. Say what you want about Rupp as it currently exists, every seat in that place had a clear view of the court and I hope that with the new renovation, this company strives to keep it that way.

11. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:41 pm July 10, 2013 Permalink

6-7 Considering the Webb brothers are neither an Architecture firm or Construction company I’d say it was a long shot they woul have gotten it. Nice try though.