National Signing Day 2012’s Thursday News and Views

Marcus Lee is officially a Wildcat.

For many of us, Tuesday was Drive-Home-Exhausted-From-Atlanta Day, but to the rest of America, it was the fall edition of National Signing Day 2012.  November 14th marked the day where the top college-bound high school seniors across the country could scribble their names at the bottom of their national letters of intent to play for the university of their choosing.  Most had already announced their intentions to play at a school, but it isn’t official until the pen meets the LOI on National Signing Day.

On Wednesday, Kentucky basketball received signed LOIs from Derek Willis, the first verbal commitment of the 2013 class, and Marcus Lee, the most recent UK commitment.  Andrew and Aaron Harrison, the headliners of the group, will fill out the paperwork over the next few days, according to their father.  James Young, another top 10 talent in the class, is also expected to sign by the end of the week.  The three UK commits have until November 21st to sign in the early period.

After officially signing with Kentucky early Wednesday morning, Marcus Lee told the San Jose Mercury News, “It’s a great feeling being official.  It’s just really great and relieving.”

Welcome aboard.

*****

National Signing Day is a day for signatures and letters, but it has also been known for breaking recruiting news in years past.  Fall 2012 was no different and the big news of the day came from the class of 2015 when Karl Towns announced that he’ll make his decision on December 4th.  As I’m sure you’re aware, the 6-foot-11 big man spent his summer in Lexington with John Calipari while playing for the Dominican Republic National Team.  He also paid a visit to Big Blue Madness last month with his father. After the unofficial visit, Karl Towns Sr. called Lexington “awesome” and said it was “just a great experience.”

Towns, ranked No. 1 in his class by all services, is also considering Duke, Michigan State, Florida and North Carolina, although most experts believe Kentucky is the odds-on favorite.  When Nerlens Noel committed to the Cats last spring, Towns tweeted him saying, “I can see why you picked this place.”

Come on down?

Class of 2013 stud power forward Julius Randle talked to one NCAA head coach on signing day, according to Jason Jordan.  The coach?  John Calipari, of course.  And in his blog for USA Today, Randle showed a little love to Kenny Payne. “He’s my man,” he said of the UK assistant. “Him and Coach O.”

In case you missed it, the Harrison twins scored 53 of their team’s 87 points in the season opener.

Enough recruiting, let’s switch over to what really has Big Blue Nation talking: the football coaching search.  On Wednesday morning’s radio show, Matt introduced yet another name that Kentucky could be considering in that second tier of candidates below Sonny Dykes and Kirby Smart.  It’s University of San Diego head coach Ron Caragher, a former UK running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Kentucky from 2003 to 2006.  He’s the guy who brought Stevie Johnson to Kentucky from way out there in California, and we all know how that turned out.  Caragher isn’t high on the wish list, but he’s making his way into the conversation.

Also from the world of football, Patrick Towles made it clear that he’s here to stay.  He told our own Rashawn Franklin that his goal is to win a National Championship at Kentucky.

Just when you thought he was off the grid for good, Billy Gillispie has surfaced as an analyst with Campus Insiders.  Watch as he gives his opinion on Shabazz Muhammad, Mike Leach and Tommy Tuberville…

Billy Gillispie: No Holds Barred. by CampusInsiders

Gillispie was introduced by the “No Holds Barred” show host as “good company riding shotgun.”

Even his new gig doesn’t want him driving.

We’ll wrap things up with our man Boogie, who is sorry for the incident with Sean Elliott:

“I appreciate the support of the NBA Player’s Association in appeal of my suspension by the NBA. I believe it best to allow the union and my agent, John Greig, to present my position about the situation. Despite believing the penalty unwarranted, I want to apologize to the Sacramento Kings, our fans and especially to my coaches and teammates for this distraction of our goals. As a leader of the team, I have to make the best decisions so my teammates can count on me. I am committed to continued growth and being the best player I can be.”

DeMarcus has an opportunity to be an All-Star this season, so it’s crucial that he avoid off-the-court issues like this one.  It’s a big year for him and we don’t want him throwing it away.

That’ll do it for now.  Join us again on Thursday as we start looking ahead to Kentucky’s home opener against Lafayette.

Go Cats and good night.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for National Signing Day 2012’s Thursday News and Views

1. tdogg40330
    11:12 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I think UK’s back court might be decent next season ….

2. Adam
    11:13 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I felt bad for Billy G for a second, then I realized it was actually gas…

3. Don Corleone
    11:14 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Never go against the family Billy. WTF?!?

4. catcrawler
    11:19 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Welcome to BBN!
    * I just saw Bledsoe stuff D.Wade going up for a dunk..he got shit right!

5. Twill84
    11:20 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m ok with some of the names mentioned so far but..Ron Caragher? Really Mitch? The guys been at San Diego for 6 years and THEY’RE mediocre in the Pioneer League!! If they hire this guy I’m done with football. Why even mention this guys name? How could he be anywhere on the list of candidates?!

6. dave
    11:21 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

how do you not mention ron caragher, the san diego HC who matt believes (from sources) is a real candidate for f-ball behind dykes & smart?

7. katzrjamers
    11:21 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

please,please,please,please,please, KSR, no more Billy G posts. He’s gone, let him be forgotten.

8. UK94
    11:30 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

There is a rumor floating around that there will be a plane flying around CWS on Saturday, with a banner on the back that will read “Bring BP to UK” anyone know anything about this?

9. tdogg40330
    11:33 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

4) Yeah man, that was nasty

10. Blue Baller
    11:35 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

You know the ironic thing about all the poking fun at Billy Clyde stuff is that we still have the moron that hired him in charge of our entire athletic dept. Who should be making fun of who?

11. tdogg40330
    11:48 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

PETRINO !!!!

12. Patrick needs a hug
    12:00 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Patrick, buddy… If your goal is a national championship you probably picked the wrong school. At this point 3rd in the east would be monumental.

13. Shampoo
    12:01 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Forget BCG there was a Brian McFayden sighting. Former MTV VJ doing sports now, totally forgot about that guy until just now.

14. SeaCat
    12:06 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Randle talk forever!
    Gillespie talk for never…

15. Badams
    12:18 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

10, That moron brought Cal to UK and has improved countless other athletic programs. I’d say he’s doin just fine. So that kinda makes you the moron.

16. BBN
    12:30 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

#15: Keep believing that if you like. You give Barnhart too much credit. He takes orders from people too and was told to hire Cal. For that matter, our new university president Eli Capilouto takes orders as well. They will hire the coach they are told to hire.

17. yep
    1:18 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

16. So, if it was a good hire, then Mitch had nothing to do with it, he was told to hire that coach. if it is a bad hire, then it is all Mitch’s fault. Hmmm.

18. SoCal Will
    1:24 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey, here is a rumor and I don’t have a clue what is smoke and what is fire. I drove down to LA from Santa Barbara today and over lunch had a friend who follows the business side of sports tell me that Mitch has contacted the people who handle Mike Gundy – Oklahoma State HC. Who knows how many Mitch is contacting but evidently the process is moving forward.

19. Horsepower
    1:44 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Rich Bisaccia would make a good head coach if we could get him away from the San Diego Chargers.

20. burger
    4:14 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

WILDCAT FAITHFUL… READ THIS MESSAGE AND REPOST EVERYWHERE

It’s sad when the guy deciding who your next football coach will be WASN’T AROUND YOUR PROGRAM BEFORE 2002.

I remember the late 70’s, 80’s and the 90’s (Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne, Bill Curry, Hal Mumme). My Mom and Dad tell me about the 60’s and the 70’s (Blanton Collier, Charlie Bradshaw, John Ray), and my grandparents tell me about the 40’s and 50’s (A.D. Kirwan, Bernie Shivley, Bear Bryant).

Think of all the contributions my family & others have made over the years (not just ticket purchases, but Blue/White donations for lower level seats to bball & fball). All the road games we would drive to and support our team no matter the outcome.

Here we are on the cusp of potential, where an AD who didn’t even know what Blue Blood was 10 years ago, is going to make a decision for me and my family and the future generations of Wildcat Faithful. Who knows if he or his family will be here… but my family will be.

The Wildcat Faithful is a rare breed in today’s sports. How many programs have been so mediocre for so long yet continued to pack the stadium? No one understands it, but I only hope our message has been understood.

It’s almost unfair that 1 guy can either make the right move, steer our program into a certain oblivion or make the “safe” choice to protect his job.

Take a second to think about your job Mitch Barnhart. This isn’t about YOU!

Give the Wildcat Faithful of the Commonwealth a chance to get all those programs back for having been patient & supportive all these years.

Take the reduction in attendance this year as a MAJOR sign that “YOU” are on watch, as a program who’s fans have always been behind it’s program suddenly lost faith in it’s direction, a direct message to YOU.

Get out of our way, make the decision that will give us a real chance, and just hope you did your job.

21. Uk stud boy
    5:17 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

So…with shabazz in eligible…that makes last years class now the clear number one!

22. Uk uk
    5:18 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

with shabazz in eligible…that makes last years class now the clear number one!

23. DirtyDutchMantel
    6:20 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Anyone actually believe Boogie wrote that statement? LOL!!

24. SammyB
    6:26 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

@5,..20 I am glad you said it because I was beginning to wonder if anyone really understands what is going on. Now you got Matt Jones throwing out names like Ron Caragher, a coach in the PIONEER LEAGUE who used to be a Rich Brooks assistant! GTFO,..REALLY! I sincerely hope that Matts sources aren’t as credible as he thinks they are or BBN Football isn’t going anywhere! I am sick in tired of KSR and anyone else that is against or not helping to promote the hiring of Petrino. Everyone wants to say that he is this immoral a$$ who will not be good for this program, when the fact of the matter is No One really knows this man personally. And to be clear he has NO NCAA VIOLATIONS on his record! This is a one shot opportunity and it looks more and more like Barnhardt is going to F%$# it up ROYALLY!

25. PaperTigers
    6:31 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think we should get a coach with no d-1 experience. High assistant at a good school is fine, but fcs is no where we want to look.

26. Plethora
    6:37 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

It’s going to be amazing watching the Harrison twins next year. The chemistry they have will help with our usual early struggles

27. TAXman
    6:39 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

20. There’s a reason why you, and no one in your family, is AD. Get over it.

28. Paper Tigers
    6:39 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

I bet shabazz gets eligible after paying money back and sitting some games. Hate that kanter was in a more favorable situation and got hosed.

29. Joker
    7:02 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

#27 – Taxman – If I’m going to lose my job to a “safe” pick that satisfies Eli with 6 win seasons then what was this all really for?

30. James K
    7:10 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

I really think that Gillispie might be legitimately insane. The craziest people are the ones that flip it on and off relatively easy, and they are very good at faking. If Gillispie were a little more off the wall and fiery, we might write him off as a silly old man, but the way he dials it in with that grin makes me feel really uneasy about what he is actually like. I feel like we may read a story someday about him disposing of a body or something.

31. Paducah Patty
    7:13 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

OMG! Billy Clyde! Matt this video screams out for the BCG uncensored podcast. I know Hubby had a baby, but isn’t that kid old enough to take care of themselves now? (LOL)Please as a holiday gift to the KSR and BBN family do the BCG uncensored podcast!! Go CATS!!!

32. Burger
    7:17 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Our boy Eric Bledsoe… Clip of the Year! (From a Clipper)

Dwayne Wade gets ERASED at the rim on the fast break last night.

This is unprecedented! Get $3!+ Right Mustard!

33. burger
    7:25 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

BTW – It’s the 31 second mark in the video

34. barn
    7:49 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

20–damn dude, you gonna plaster your dissertation on every post? don’t forget the lhl

35. Will
    8:07 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

ESPN SportsNation poll that we are losing! Rank the best recruiting classes of all time! Don’t let the “Fab Five” get the glory our Cats from last year deserve!

36. StupidPoll
    8:23 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Greteast class whatevea there where some Unconn classes that where monsters and how can you put 2013 uk haven’t stepped foot on a court hell Willis brings it down. Hands down other than Flordias back to back team how can any other class compare to that. Hell Walls team didn’t evn make the final four. I feel best classes are the ones that win it all . Not just the pretty look test.

37. truBLU
    8:41 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey #18–He’s a man!!! He’s 40!!! Well…prob more like 50 now.

38. Football
    9:53 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Caragher would be a very good hire if we cannot get a HUGE (former NFL) name. Talk to the folks who were here when he was on Brooks staff. The guy has class and a very good football mind. He recruited some of the best players we had in the glory days (read 7 win seasons)

39. Blackhawk
    12:14 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Shut up and play ball Boogie…you’re turing into the new Rasheed Wallace.

40. BDM
    12:29 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

“Toughness Measure” Billie G. Hahahahaha!

41. Musehobo
    1:19 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

40) I caught that too. Hilarious

42. #9
    3:39 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Did Billy G ever lose it on the sidelines?! Um he kinda locked Jorts in the locker room for a whole half.

43. I may be lost...
    5:20 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone else see how they had Atlanta, Georgia on the map about a state and a half away from where it is supposed to go…?