National Chicken Wing Day’s Tuesday News and Views

Wing Dome
I dare you not to drool.

I try not to go through life with regrets, so when I found out that I made it through National Chicken Wing Day without having any chicken wings, I was pretty pissed. Wings, specifically buffalo, are one of my favorite foods any time of the year, but with football one month away, the thought of them literally makes my mouth water. Take a minute and imagine your ideal Saturday or Sunday of football watching. Whether it be at a tailgate, at a bar with your friends, or at home with your feet propped up, odds are there’s a chicken wing in the picture somewhere. Buffalo, BBQ, Teriyaki, Thai, hot, or just plain mild, wings are just delicious. Do you prefer yours with ranch or bleu cheese? Carrot sticks or celery? Talk it out in the comments section.

National Chicken Wing Day was officially celebrated on Monday, but nothing’s stopping you from honoring football’s favorite food on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or any day, any day at all.

Now that I’ve wiped all the drool off my keyboard, let’s get down to the news and views:

— Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow and the rest of the UK coaching staff lost their first big recruit of the 2014 class on Monday night, when 3-star OT Brady Taylor committed to Virginia Tech over Kentucky. His decision was a big surprise to everyone, specifically the 2014 commitments, who thought Taylor was a lock after a promising visit last week. Taylor was very close with the commits and the coaching staff, and this is considered their first big miss. However, the shock and disappointment of losing Taylor just goes to show how much things have changed in UK football since Stoops took over. I can’t remember the last time I was surprised UK lost a football recruit.

Drew Barker did his best to cheer up the BBN Monday night:

— Don’t put those dice away just yet. UK’s next Yahtzee may come from four-star offensive tackle Nick Richardson, who is expected to announce his decision by Wednesday. Richardson is considered the 19th best OT in the class by Rivals, and also hails from Ohio. His final two are Vandy and Kentucky, and many feel he’s a heavy UK lean. Come on down and roll the dice, big fella.

Screen shot 2013-07-29 at 4.48.21 PM
Photo by @melissamiller77

— On the basketball side of things, some familiar faces are in town this week for Coach Cal’s Pro Camps. On Monday, it was Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, Twany Beckham and Julius Mays’ turn to help out the campers. The four held a press conference to talk about what they’ve been up to after last season and their thoughts on the current Cats. Here are the Cliff’s Notes (for you youngins, that was our version of Wikipedia for book reports back in the day):

Nerlens Noel: Nerlens says his knee is doing well and he’s still ahead of schedule in his rehab. His advice for the new team?

“I’d definitely say coming in the gym every day and having that mentality, be prepared and just listen to Coach Cal. He has everybody’s best interest. And establishing team chemistry early on in the year and make sure a leader steps up, because a young team like that, they’re especially going to need a leader that’s always going to keep them like a rock-solid team and always keep those guys composed.”

Archie Goodwin: Archie said that his impressive summer league performance has the Suns telling him he’ll “play right away,” and that he was one of the best players in the draft. He’s got a condo in Phoenix now, where he says he’s been “in the gym, working, talking to coaches, and just trying to get better.” And making Vine videos. What advice does he give the new team?

“My biggest advice would be to listen to what Coach Cal says and not how he says it. I feel like last year we had a couple guys that, when he said things, the way he said it really put guys down because they’re not used to the way he coaches. It’s kind of hard to get used to that coming from high school where you’re able to do whatever you want. But if they just listen to what he says instead of how he says it, they’ll be just fine.”

Julius Mays: Uncle Julius is about to sign a deal with an overseas team, country TBD. Mays says that he was surprised that Kyle Wiltjer decided to transfer instead of redshirting the year at UK to work on his body. What were his words of wisdom for the new Cats?

“From what I’ve seen, they’ve got all the talent in the world. Like I told them: If they can all check their egos at the door and — I know once Coach Cal gets his hands on all of them and gets them playing together like a team — they’re going to be real dangerous.”

Twany Beckham: Beckham says his back is doing a lot better and that he’s in the gym again. His book, Full Court Press comes out soon.

According to Twitter, Darius Miller arrived in town on Monday, with Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist soon to follow. Oh, to be a fly on that Joe Craft Center wall…

— Because national championship coach, author, motivational speaker AND Orange Leaf spokesperson wasn’t enough, John Calipari added another line to his resume on Monday: clothing designer. No, really. Cal unveiled his “Refuse to Lose Signature Series” clothing line, which will be available at area Wal-Marts, Krogers, Rupp Arena, UK Bookstore, and Kennedy Bookstore. Versions of the line have apparently been available at area stores for months. Thankfully, there are no floral or hideous geometric Hawaiian shirts in sight.

— If you missed it earlier, the SEC schedule got a little bit easier on Monday with the news that Vandy stars Kedren Johnson and Kevin Bright are off the team. Kevin Stallings was last spotted in Paradise Park (honky tonk) drowning his sorrow in cheap beer and tater tots.

— In news from down the road, it looks like troubled running back Michael Dyer may have found a home in Louisville. The former Auburn star visited UofL’s campus last week, and according to the Courier-Journal’s Jonathan Linter, has been added to the UofL registrar. Dyer was dismissed from Auburn after two 1,000-yard rushing seasons, and later dismissed from Arkansas State due to off-the-field issues. Naturally, Louisville is the perfect destination. He sat out last year and will be available to play this season.

— Enough of that. In fact, I just used it as a segue for this awesome call Tony Vanetti received on Monday while he was guest hosting the radio show. #TeamJoanne

— Hopefully JoAnne likes Mike Pratt, because he’s hosting Tuesday’s show, along with Shannon the Dude. Here’s the lineup for the rest of the week:

Tuesday: Mike Pratt and Shannon the Dude
Wednesday: Jennifer Palumbo and Jeremy Jarmon
Thursday: Matthew Mitchell
Friday: WKYT’s Brian Milam and Dusty Bonner

— I’ll leave you with an update on our Alaskan adventurers. After serenading their fellow cruise ship passengers with “Margaritaville” and “YMCA,” Matt, Drew and Ryan zip-lined across the mountains in Ketchikan, Alaska: Screen shot 2013-07-29 at 7.59.17 PM BQX24saCcAAG8Ye

I’d say “what happens on the boat, stays on the boat,” but knowing Drew Franklin’s Instagram habit, that’s a total farce.

See you in the morning.

41 Comments for National Chicken Wing Day’s Tuesday News and Views

1. BestHotWings
    11:07 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Are made on a charcoal grill with some wood on the coals. Crisp them babies up!

2. Linda Taylor
    11:15 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I thought Matt hated tucking his shirts in and thought only “old” guys did it, yet all his cruise pictures show his shirt tucked in. Is there a cruise ship dress code or something?

3. shiznitz
    11:40 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Twany Beckham has a book coming out? well sum-bish. did not know that.

4. catfan68
    12:02 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Mrs T, You are so right that UofL is the perfect destination for Dyer. All these UofL fans try to act like Charlie runs such a squeaky clean program but actions like this prove otherwise.

5. Hal
    12:10 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

holy guacomole, he had two 100-yard rush seasons??? sign him up!!!!

6. Awaiting Moderation
    12:19 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

What gets me about Louisville football is the sense of entitlement they have now, that they are amongst the nations elite programs for going 10-2. They say Strong is such.a.great coach.and has so much talent on his team yet they still have never won that joke of a conference outright… and they think they will go to the ACC and be the best team in that conference… FSU is still FSU, Miami’s back and Clint Hurt wont be able to steal that talent, then you have Clemson who just beat LSU and a VT.team.that is consistently a top 25 team. You.cant forget about Ga. Tech that runs that triple option that is hard to defend and Virginia has 3 five-star players signed for 2014…also dont forget about a Syracuse team that spanked UL last year…a Bridgewater-less Louisville team is MAYBE 5th in that league….maybe

7. SeaCat
    1:03 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Never, ever, I mean never
    go to a strip joint in Ketchikan…

8. SeaCat
    1:06 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

If you do, your appreciation of
    women will be forever
    disturbed…

9. BloatedRyan
    1:30 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Lemond looks bloated as always… look at that gut! Body Shapes Medical = FAIL

10. theSkinny81
    1:47 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

What is it with Louisville fans and their obsession with the male figure?

11. Genoscats
    1:55 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t Charlie recruit 41 out of 84 football players that has been jailed since attending Florida?

12. biffswitters
    3:19 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

hey matt

When you gonna be in Skagway? Wednesday? If so I’m a fellow transy grad and I know hubby pretty well. Is he with you guys? If you guys want let me know when you’ll be in Skagway and stop by Alaska Mountain Guides on 4th Avenue and State St. I’ll show you a good Kentucky style time in AK. Trust me you won’t regret this and what better way for our paths to cross. Internet here is pretty crappy but I follow your show on IHEART RADIO whenever my current place in the world allows. COme by and see a fellow Pioneer and diehard Kentucky fan…and I’m a mountain guide so if want adventure and a potential future connection stop by and see us when you’re in Skagway.

13. Greasy Little Italian
    5:04 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

JoAnne culone

14. Diehard FSU and uk fan
    5:42 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Thank you awaiting moderation finally somebody else sees what I see! Can’t wait for FSU to play the tards next year!

15. Billy Ray
    6:46 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

After last year’s terrible season, we were all told to stay calm because the twins are coming. According to a poster on house of blue, it is now not a given that they ever play for uk. Hope Polson and Hood are ready to feed the post.

16. Joe
    7:12 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Seriously billy ray, I’m not a conspiracy guy but it has been eerily quiet on the twins/young front. I’m kinda gettin worried! When are they comin? Cal said they’d at least be back for a couple of weekends. Why not now with all the former guys here? I trust king cal tho

17. tuxedo park
    7:28 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

#9- Round is STILL a shape…

18. Matt Jones
    7:35 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Drew is enjoying the complimentary liquor and Ryan had to see ship doctor because his erection lasted longer than four hours

19. Bobbum man
    7:40 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

15- oh no a troll said the twins will need play, we better suit polson up now and get him ready!
    And of course that RB goes to UL probably the only somewhat big school that would take him, how bout them core values Charlie!?

20. Rod Hatfield
    7:48 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker has a future in used car sales, if the QB thing doesn’t work out.

21. Deliverance
    7:55 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

12. WTF? “I’ll show you a good Kentucky style time in AK”? Does that involve corn-holing, the type without the board and bags? Deliverance style?

22. Gaydar
    8:01 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone else find the idea of guys going on a cruise together the least bit disconcerting?

23. BigBlew
    8:06 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

14: you couldn’t wait for Florida to destroy UL in the Sugar Bowl either, right? We know how that went. “Disinterested” I suppose? Quit trying to bring other programs down to UK’s level.

24. Steve
    8:42 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Archie Goodwin says a “couple of guys” couldn’t take the way Cal corrected them! I sure hope he was looking in a mirror when that statement came out. From the Blue/White game when Mays was 20 ft ahead of Goodwin waiting for a pass and Archie decided to go one on none. Cal stops the Blue/White game to lecture Goodwin. To the times Archie takes a line drive 3 from the corner and decides to walk back on defense as the other team races down the court with the ball.

25. Wowzers
    8:44 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does Drew look like Coach O in that jacket and khakis?

26. Oliver Mcginnis
    8:55 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Right, Gaydar.

27. tuxedo park
    8:57 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

i heard the twins are quitting basketball to join the circus. well, i heard that from a Louisville and/or Indiana fan, at least.

28. BBN
    9:07 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

27) Can’t quit something you are not yet eligible to play.

29. Michael Dyer
    9:11 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

I’ve done literally everything imaginable to prove I’m not a bad guy, have never been charged with a crime, and caught flack for legally purchasing a firearm after two of my friends were shot at a party. Meanwhile, when I’m slaughtering your swiss cheese defense for 8yds per carry, you need need to worry more about your receivers’ coach tweeting ‘these recruits know what I’m bout, its all about that money!. Charlie Strong has never had a player arrested at UofL in three years. Mark Stoops hasnt coached a game and can’t say as much. Enjoy those NCAA sanctions soon to come!

30. BPM
    9:22 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

I love it that UL fans are justifying the Dyer pick up already. Hilarious. Yea, he sounds like a great, stand up kid. Most kids get kicked out of two colleges right? He was just a victim of circumstance I guess. I don’t know if any of Strong’s players (at UL) have been arrested or not as the Courier and the local media wouldn’t dare report it – just like they didnt report those two UL players who nearly killed the other player and were simply asked to leave the program. They were probably just victims of circumstance as well right? As the poster above said, just about half of Strong’s players at Florida are now in jail.

31. Does Chawlie’s 5 core values apply only to recruits and not transfers? To take a guy like Dyer seems a little…desperate.

#29 If I were you I’d worry more about your own program and that cheater you have in Hurtt and those Miami recruits he brought with him.

32. J in Orlando
    9:55 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

lol @ UL fans, so hopeful the twins wont come, awww sorry to disappoint but they are right on track to gain eligibility exactly when they are supposed to

33. Drew
    10:06 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Is Neal Brown not co-hosting on Thursday anymore? Did I miss this?

34. theWilkman
    10:09 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

If your team was hard-up for a RB and Dyer was available, you’d be crazy at least not to look at him. He’s had some issues, but the kid is a stud. I don’t believe minor offenses (smoking some pot and owning a firearm) should ruin a kids life. And please don’t give me the “you’re a UofL troll!!” response, I’ve posted over 100 times on this site and clearly am not.

35. L1C4
    11:10 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

You guys are crying foul about about the Dyer pickup because you can already here the announcer, “And Dyer explodes over the goal line again, touchdown Louisville! They just have too many weapons for the Wildcats!”. UofL has 10 skill position players on its offensive roster better than any one on Kentucky’s joke of a lineup. You slapdicks are getting throttled, Dyer or none.

36. bigbluebear
    11:49 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Louisville first criminals forever. The Carlos Leder program for ‘higher’ players. Stepping stone to the ‘big’ house where all dirtybird shot callers punch their big ‘time/house’ tickets. No matter who might be the ‘underboss’ the ‘don’ will do anything to win and the dirtier the better. The dirty jockstrap soils everywhere(conference) in which he lands and bolts before the smell(blame) can be traced back to him. Anything built on lies by a born liar will be lived in by only the weak minded w/large inferiority complexes/small beaks and grade school educations. Some things never change.

37. @36
    12:14 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

36, I was unaware that John Calipari was coaching at Louisville. Your ignorance heavy diatribe would certainly seem to indicate such. Its irony is evident and hilarious beyond description.

38. B.C.G.
    12:25 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

I can read Lips. Ya’ll are singing “Amanda”. Ryan is off key.

39. FSU GRAD and UK grad
    6:41 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

23. Im not sure what you mean I am strictly talking how loserville is going to hit reality when they face the noles next year as well as other ACC teams!

40. thirty-nine
    7:41 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Heard it before 39. I thought they were going to be introduced to big-boy SEC football in the Sugar Bowl? But by all means keep hiding behind the big boys’ aprons. Maybe you’ll too beat the Gators in the next 27 years.

41. fsu has spanked fla
    11:01 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

2 of the past 3 years!! I’m not worried ever about Florida in football or during basketball season.I get to watch my noles beat them in football and UK in ball.