National Championship Monday’s News and Views

national

The long ride is almost over. What started six months ago at Midnight Madness comes to a close Monday night in New Orleans as Kentucky attempts to reach its destiny and win its eighth national championship. For the past week, KSR has been in New Orleans getting ready for this moment and on Monday night, we have a chance to witness our first national championship in person and celebrate the greatness of what may be the best team to ever wear the Kentucky uniform. Whereas most of the past week has been spent in perpetual nervousness at the thought of playing our biggest rival on the most important stage, this isn’t the same feeling. Big Blue Nation is quietly confident, knowing it has the better team and just hoping that what should happen, actually comes to fruition. Kentucky deserves to win a championship and we are hopefully 24 hours from making it happen.

All the talk today around New Orleans was about John Calipari and Kentucky closing the deal and finishing off a run that could place it as one of the ten best teams in college basketball history. I could not find one basketball commentator who would pick Kansas and even the contrarians among us are having a hard time rationalizing the upset. Bill Self all but conceded that if Kentucky were to play its best game, it would be nearly impossible for Kansas to win. How often does one of the five best programs of all-time come into a major game with this type of underdog label on it? The answer is never. And for Bill Self and Kansas, that has to be an advantage, as the big bad Jayhawks get to play the “respect” card for what likely would be the only time this season.

But part of me doesn’t think it matters. This Kentucky team has seen all challenges and met them. Play Indiana in the Sweet 16 and watch as the team that beat you earlier in the year plays one of their best offensive games of the year and puts up 90 on you? No problem, you score 102 and keep the game easily in hand. Draw Baylor in the Elite Eight, arguably one of the three teams in college basketball most capable of matching your athleticism and with the distraction of your rival waiting in the Final Four? No problem, play the best first half of the season and roll to a twenty point lead at the break. Draw your biggest rival in a game billed as the biggest in your state’s history at the Final Four and couple it with the most media attention for one battle that long-time observers say they have seen in the history of college basketball? No problem, match their run to tie the game and pull away in the last eight minutes to make the Championship. Now it is Kansas, a team with the other dominant player in college basketball and the ability to get hot and play as well as any team in America. But as John Calipari continues to say, with this group it isn’t about who they play, it is about how Kentucky plays that determines whether they win.

The game on Monday night means a great deal to Big Blue Nation. We have waited fourteen years for a championship and this certainly feels like our time. This team is full of super-talented, likable guys that have bought into the team concept and played one of the more selfless brands of basketball that the Bluegrass has ever seen. Like the 1978, 1996 and 1998 teams, this group has a defining quality that seems to make it worthy of a championship and the accolades that will follow it throughout history from the Big Blue Nation. Anthony Davis is one of the best to ever wear the uniform. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has the heart of a champion and is the type of warrior that UK fans adore. Darius Miller is the Senior leader from the our own Commonwealth that will finish as one of the most beloved to wear the uniform. And John Calipari is the perfect coach at the perfect time for the UK program and the best representative the BBN could have. If there ever was a team of destiny, this is it.

But it might not happen. College basketball is random and the team that deserves to win isn’t always able to make it happen. But in this case, it feels right. At the beginning of the season, I wrote for Grantland that this team would win the national title, I could just feel it. Nothing that has happened since then has done anything but confirm that notion. Enjoy these next 24 hours and savor the game and its aftermath. Tonight could be a special night in the history of the Kentucky basketball program and I for one cannot wait to experience it.

#Onetogo

Article written by Matt Jones

110 Comments for National Championship Monday’s News and Views

1. Kevin
    11:01 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

First.

2. Kevin
    11:02 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

That’s all I’ve got.

3. The Blue Goose
    11:02 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Eight is great.

4. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    11:02 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

yeah, but we’re still kinda bad at football

5. Ernie Brown Jr.
    11:05 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Go CATS!

6. mocha
    11:08 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Come on cats, let’s get 8.

7. MKG
    11:08 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

does anyone know where to rewatch the game on the internet?

8. MKG
    11:08 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

does anyone know where i can watch the game again online?

9. English Teacher
    11:09 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

I found it online at your moms house

10. #Rise
    11:12 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

I work second shift and I already told my boss I am watching the game. Write me up, send me home, fire me, I don’t give a damn. #8 Here we come

11. Ozzy
    11:16 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Nike tweeted it best yesterday: “Today, the state. Monday, the nation.”

Thanks to the KSR crew for helping making this run all the more special and allowing us to live vicariously through you… Being a grown-up can suck sometimes, but as Ms Tyler T would say, “We got this!” Here’s to gr8atness, bring it home Cats!

12. Just wondering
    11:16 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Can’t leave out TJ.Can’t help but think him buying in to team hasn’t effected the younger guys.Buy him deferring to the freshman has made the hole team click.He was supposed to have came back to showcase his talent to the scouts.Hopefully they notice he does what he needs to do to win.

13. Cormac
    11:17 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Matt, for trying to settle my nerves. It’s not working. I can’t bear to watch. I will set the DVR and hop on my bike for a long ride. Go Cats!!!

14. DerekRamseyLikestobeNaked
    11:22 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

UK will swing a big **** tomorrow!!!!!

15. CantWaitFor#8
    11:24 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Well said Matthew! Thanks for being our eyes and ears in The Big Easy. #Onetogo

16. UKBlue
    11:26 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Whatever happens; just want to thank Matt & the rest of the KSR crew for making this year so much fun.

17. Jared
    11:26 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Why no news and views?

18. Eric K
    11:26 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

19. Blue Orleans
    11:27 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Of all the possible images of the trophy you could of used, you had to use the one hoisted by Duke.

20. tom
    11:28 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Where can I find these mythical Kate on state pics or vids?

21. eoj
    11:30 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

15………..Majerus respects uk. he is not a hater.

22. AshleyhasnotseenDerekRamseyNaked
    11:31 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Cats will get it done tomorrow!!!
    And again in 366 days.

23. australiacatfan
    11:33 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Yes I am also looking for a reliable website to watch the Cat’s take home number eight. to #9 you are obviously a crap english teacher. it is at your mom’s house. Always remember the possessives. If anyone really knows a good reliable website please let me know. March Madness does not work in Australia. (the official website)

24. AshleyhasnotseenDerekRamseyNaked
    11:33 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

23) ok i was a bit excessive
    sorry

25. Mt Washington Mike
    11:39 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

It’s been a GREAT ride. I believe it ends with a Bus parked in the middle of Rupp Arena… GO CATS!!!!!!!!

26. Buckets
    11:42 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Well said, Matt. I’ve been saying since Cal got here we would win the title in his third year. We had a great shot each of the last two years, and last season’s run was so special because of the way the team played during the postseason. We’re knocking on the doorstep and it seems like the season has flown by.

Pounding Iowa State into submission, giving IU and its d-bag fans some payback by dropping 102 points on them, bumrushing Baylor and then beating down the filthy cards, silencing their d-bag fanbase, has all been so much fun to watch.

This has been an unforgettable season and the only bad thing is it has to end. Let’s end it the right way and bring the trophy back to Lex. And please, let’s not act like total jackasses afterward. Enough with the fires. Let’s just get drunk and celebrate with some modicum of dignity, and stay safe. GO CATS!!!

27. AshleyhasnotseenDerekRamseyNaked
    11:43 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

If Ashley did see Derek strolling the halls of Kirwin Tower she would scream!!!
    Like the great actress she is!!!

28. SuperCats
    11:50 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

SuperCats will swing for the fences and hit home runs!!!!!!!

29. Oak City Retard Kid
    11:51 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

wOOt wOOt! Couches are on me tomorrow night!

30. dreeze
    11:54 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Nice article Matt. Let’s get #8

31. Todd
    12:00 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Found someone who picked Kansas. Guess who it was?

Drum roll…………..

Digger Phelps!

32. Ktucky084
    12:09 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Digger phelps can suck it!!!! Only he would bring up calipari going to the Knicks the night before the title game. Not gonna happen d bag

33. BOBBYS KNIGHTMARE
    12:10 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

WE ARE UK!!! WE ARE THE GREATEST!!!

34. 00BBN00
    12:26 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

This team is really good and has a chance to become great tonight, but they can’t even touch the ’96 team. Just sayin. Now if these freshman stayed two or three years then they MIGHT be in the conversation as the best UK team. C’mon the ’96 team is regarded as the best NCAA Basketball team of all time by UK fans and in the top 5 by all other fans. They just embarrassed too many teams.
    Sorry to harp on it, but it bugs me when someone even entertains the thought of this team being as great as the ’96 team.

35. CAT_CR8ZY
    12:26 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Digger Phelps is still doing a good job at being a DOUCHE!!!..just heard him on espn talking about Coach Cal..he almost pisses me off more than Bob Knight..the haters are gonna hate though..i cant wait till we cut the nets down…CATS FOR 8!!!..GO BIG BLUE!!..C-A-T-S, CATS CATS CATS

36. 00BBN00
    12:27 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Also $5 to who can guess which Dookie is holding up the trophy in that photo…

37. Rixter
    12:37 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

# 38, the great thing is, they will never play the ’96 team, so we’ll never know. You get it? It’s all speculation. Opinion. You have yours, somebody else might disagree. Oh, they could play, if you could get Antoine Walker out of Boise, Idaho, but he can’t afford to miss his $25 per diem meal money.

38. BigBlue1976
    12:58 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Where has Majerus been? Says we’re ripe to be beat? We only have the bare minimum win streak to be here in the title game. Anthony Davis isn’t used to being pushed around? Come on! Do I even need to comment on that one?!

39. Computer Blue
    1:13 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

We need to thank Bill Self. Had he not beaten Cal in 08 he probably wouldn’t be here winning us #8.

40. Paratrooper
    1:17 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I am extremely hard on Matt Jones when he sneaks in some liberal commie crap and I will continue to do so. However, this article is one of the finest posts I’ve EVER read. When he expresses the love that we all have for this storied and embattled program, then HE IS US AND WE ARE HIM. The excellent composition of this piece transcends anything so petty and trivial as bickering over political issues. My affection for this program started on December 28, 1959 when I listened to UK beat the Ohio St. team that featured Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek, Larry Siegfried and Mel Nowell. They won the NCAA that year but on that night Rupp put in the Auburn Shuffle offense in the second half and the Buckeyes were unable to figure it out.(They had never seen it) UK won 96-93. Memorial Coliseum was so loud that you couldn’t hear Claude Sullivan as he tried to announce the game. From that moment I was hooked and nothing has changed in the last 50 years or so. Good luck tomorrow guys and lets hang that 8th banner.

41. 00BBN00
    1:17 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

41. True enough, just facts then:

’96 averages per game- 91 points 42 reb 22 assists 12 steals 5 blocks 15 TO
    ’12 averages per game- 78 points 39 reb 13 assists 6 steals 9 blocks 11 TO

’96 (in 36 games)- 48% fg 40% 3ptfg 71% ft 1501 reb 783 A 435 S 176 BS 554 TO 3292 points
    ’12 (in 39 games)- 49% fg 37% 3ptfg 72% ft 1513 reb 519 A 238 S 333 BS 442 TO 3028 points

also

’12 gets the nod in blocks and TOs. Rebounds are close enough where I’ll call it a draw. However the ’96 team has ’12 in points, assists, and steals.

Check out the stats for yourself: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/seasoncumulativeuk.html

42. 00BBN00
    1:20 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

And yes 41 I do “get it.”

43. Aaron C Bunch
    1:45 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

This guy posted this status, which I found rude and insulting, offensive and false about this Wildcat team. I went to High School with this guy but we’re not friends. Which I attribute to the fact that despite his Christian sported creditials he failed to remember me. One of only a few out of our class to go to Iraq to fight for his freedoms. Not only that when tonight he made that rude status about the University of Kentucky and city of Lexington that was so unnecessary, and came from his jealousy and spirit of bitterness about our season he DELETED ALL OF MY COMMENTS. Let’s show him some love BBN!

44. Drew Franklin's Tongue
    1:50 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

45) You must recall that the ’96 team also played a breakneck tempo. I’d love to see tempo-adjusted stats ala Ken Pom to see how the two teams really stack up. However, ’96 was deeper, bar none, and in a head-to-head matchup, I do believe their press would absolutely destroy Teague. ’12 team couldn’t score if they couldn’t get the ball past midcourt. ’96 all the way.

45. JohnBlinkylightGuy
    2:00 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I can’t sleep. Thank the basketball gods I took a vacation day tomorrow.

46. Bluebanana
    2:03 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

38) I am not so sure about 96 vs this team. 96’s strength was the full
    court press. If this team could beat the press it would not even
    be close with AD, MKG and TJ.
    Walker, Mercer and pope could not stop them.

47. Guest
    2:03 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

45- I went to the link where you got the stats, but couldn’t find a few stats I’d like to see: Possessions per game, RPI (or more preferably BPI), and opponents points/game. The main thing I remember from the ’96 team was their pace of play.
    I was only eleven, and could be off on this, but I’m pretty sure they had more possessions per game b/c of their up-and-down style. That could skew some of those stats, especially PPG. Also, even though it was only sixteen years ago, it was a different era. The lack of parity that existed then was closer to what exists in the women’s game today than the parity existing in the game today. And I’m not just talking about the “cake” games throughout the regular season. The ’96 team could not beat Vandy by 60 points (I believe that was the difference in one of their matchups) in this day and age.
    I’m not saying 2012 is better than 1996. If forced to pick, I’d probably go with ’96, but you cannot compare these teams head to head. It has to be done in the context of each teams’ environment. I’m pretty sure about this though – if the two teams played each other, it’s a close game.

48. Turley Curd
    2:07 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

’96 and ’12 are two totally different styles of play. You’re compairing apples to oranges. ’96 averaged 91 ppg because of Pitino ball, … going 10 deep, full court pressing, jacking up the 3, … all were part of it. But yet, they didn’t have to play anyone with the talent of the ’12 team, offensively and defensively. ’96 may be the ficticious better team, but you can’t simply determine by stating a few statistics.

No doubt, rosters top to bottom, ’96 may never be matched again. But, for the fun of it, who from this current roster would you trade for someone from ’96? Me? … Epps for Teague, Hell No … Delk for Lamb, Hell Yes … D A or Mercer for MKG, No … Pope for A D, Hell No … Walker for T J, tough one. T J now fits the puzzle too well to trade even though Walker was amazing. Same for Miller. Miller has been huge when we needed it. Overall, I’ll take the top 6 from ’12 over the top 6 from ’96.

49. You're not going to like this...
    2:07 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I agree with everything except “John Calipari is… the best representative the BBN could have.” Not true. He doesn’t even claim to represent BBN. He says it’s about the players, not the program and not the fans. I’m as happy as anyone to get Number 8. But a true blue fan who listens to what Calipari is really saying, knows he doesn’t really think like us.

“You want to do it for these fans. I’ve never in my life been in a place that they’re so passionate, but yet they’ve got a soft heart. They’re not mean and nasty. They’re not `The Miserables.’ They just want this thing to go well,” Calipari said this week. “And they worry. They can’t sleep at night. I sleep like a baby.”

I loved Pitino. But now he’s gone. I love me some Calipari, but some day he’ll be gone too.

He’s wrong. It’s about BBN. Just saying.

50. kentuckyjeff
    2:09 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

For these kids that have allowed us to enjoy such an amazing season, I hope they close it out. Not for Cal, or even the BBN I hope they do it for themselves, The breakfast club, The hardest working kids I’ve ever seen play the game. I know how badly they want it for themselves and Cal. These kids deserve to cut down the nets. I just feel that in the opening huddle to the final time out, These kids are going to say to each other, we got this and we will not be denied . Thanks Darius, Terrance, MKG, Doron, Marcus and Kyle and Anthony for making this the best basketball season I’ve ever seen !

51. Turley Curd
    2:11 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

In ’96 I remember knowing I’d prolly never see a team like that again, and haven’t. Just know now that we prolly won’t ever see a team like the current one again. Both are very special in their own very unique ways.

52. Bluebanana
    2:23 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

55) yes
    53) gather your thoughts and try again

53. CatfaninVienna
    3:08 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Australiacatfan: March Madness on Demand WILL work outside the US if you use a VPN service. I live in Austria and use a VPN service and have been able to watch all the games. I can also watch Hulu and other US-only video websites. I use Astrill for VPN. I can max out my download bandwidth (~30 Mb/s) with the VPN on. The cool thing is that, unlike another popular service, you can switch to any country where they have servers at any time, and they have a lot. For example, you can switch to the United Kingdom and watch the BBC. You can sign up for only one month or for longer. I am not a rep nor do I get paid by Astrill in anyway; I’m just very pleased with the service. By the way, if you get it, there are 2 modes. One works and one doesn’t, but I can’t remember which … I have it on all the time and never switch modes. So, if it doesn’t work for you, use the other mode.

54. letsroll
    4:14 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

TIME TO GET TO WORK .GO CATS

55. Looking for 8
    5:21 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Hope to change my KSR name tonight…….GET IT DONE BOYS!

56. Tennessee Wildcat
    5:39 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Can’t sleep. I’m ready for us to get the game going now. Lets go, Big Blue!!! This game brings back memories of watching UK play Kansas in the past. I remember some of the awesome matchups we have had over the years with Kansas and some of the paybacks, like the revenge game of Pitino’s second year at UK and the miracle comeback during the 1978-79 season when we were down 6 with 30 seconds to go in overtime and came back and won on a pair of Kyle Macy technical free throws. Kansas is number two now with the all time wins at 2070 to our 2089.

57. BigBlueSkyDog
    5:59 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

The only bad thing about this season is that it has to end. Anthony Davis has been one of the most remarkable players I’ve ever seen at UK. He not only has been the best and most consistent player all year, he may also be the most improved. I saw him play live for the first time at the Lamar game and I was blown away. Watching him on TV doesn’t do him justice. Since then he has added and array of post moves, jump hooks, and even a jump shot. Darius Miller never ceases to amaze. His name will be remembered with the likes of Pelphrey, Farmer and Feldhaus. I have the same confidence that I had on April 1, 1996. The championship is ours to be had. We just have to seize it.

58. sahump1
    6:17 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Just watched a commercial for the Heavy Hitter…you know he’s down in New Orleans chomping at something ready to go!

59. TAXman
    6:21 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

VERY FIRST thing i saw when looking at this thread was the fact that this is the DUKE national championship trophy being held up. That just aint right, you couldn’t have picked a different one? Even UCONN wouldve been better.

60. We Are UK, We are #1
    6:35 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

A website called http://www.whatifsports.com/ncaab/ does ncaa basketball simulations
    (and other sports). You can pick almost any team vs another team and itll show a simulation stat wise of the game. It is completely random to the point it not that reliable, but if you do several (100s) of sims, you can get an idea of who would win.

I chose tonights matchup of UK 11-12 team vs KU 11-12 team …it was a toss up. Did 20 sims and it was split

61. Holmes Hall Alumni
    7:07 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Let’s do this CATS!

The BBN is behind you guys, go out there and take care of business – and bring home #8.

#lafamilia

62. bam
    7:10 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

GO BIG BLUE…. BRING HOME # 8

63. Holmes Hall Alumni
    7:13 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

#53 – save yer sh!t for another day. We don’t wanta hear it now!

We’re trying to get #8, and you’re being a prick.

#lafamilia

64. bluefan
    7:22 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Well said, Matt. We got this. These kids have an amazing heart.
    Thanks so much to you, Matt, and the whole KSR team for making this season even more special. The first place I check in in the morning and the last I check in with at night for the last few months. You guys (and Ms.T, God bless her) are simply the best.
    Go CATS!!!
    One more.

65. JP
    7:22 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Team: Win #8. Fans: Get a friction burn from having too much celebratory sex, it’s much better than burning a couch. Unless you cause so much friction on the couch that it just spontaneously bursts into flame. Then the flaming furniture is unavoidable.

66. We Are UK, We are #1
    7:28 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Mike&Mike are railing how bad fans rioted. They were reading quotes in the local papers here by students rioting that said ‘we are the number 1 team, houses should be burned’. The student’s name is listed…but I wont say it here since people may know him. But seriously I would not connect myself with a dumb quote like that for the whole nation to read.

67. Cking9698
    7:34 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Well it’s finally here!! Not to be a worry wart,
    But I think this matchup will be much tougher than people think.

The keys: withey- he’s better, Davis is exponentially better.
    Davis may struggle, ala zeller in the undiana game. Withey is a tad bigger, but less mobile.

T-rob vs. t-jones
    If Terrence jones plays crappy, and not focused, this will be our worst matchup of the tourney.
    But if Terrance rebounds, plays aggressive, it bodes well.

Make no mistake, this Kansas frontline just whipped UNC, and OSU.

All this leads to either a schocking setup job by the media, for one the potential biggest upsets ever.

This is going to be a run out, we could see another fast tempo game like Indiana. That would lead in our favor.

I am worried about the 1-3 zone though, self will use it, cal better have prepared them for it. They killed Carolina with it.

Go Cats !!!

68. fancy feast
    7:43 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Mike and Mike are bashing the kentucky “riots” and calling us stupid. It wasn’t that bad, come on…

69. DCCat
    7:50 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Sitting here on the east coast excited as anyone about the game tonight. But, also very saddened by the sheer stupidity of some in Lexington. What the hell does having the best team (through today at least) have to do with burning houses (what an assinine quote) or actually rolling cars and burning couches. If the guys cut down the nets tonight, I hope saner heads prevail. Celebrate, but do so with respect for the program, the university, the city and the state.

70. We Are UK, We are #1
    7:55 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Bob Knight is about to come on Mike&Mike shortly….this should be filled full of Kansas love.

71. catcrawler
    7:56 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

WIN OR LOSE, I’m proud of this team and this year has been so much fun.
    Now go get #8 🙂

72. Stan
    8:00 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

WOW. WHAT A YEAR! I pray we win the title, but just sit back and reflect on the year we have had. #1-Beat Louisville TWICE! #2-Player of the year Anthony Davis.#3 Didn’t lose a home game again.#4, Won more games that any season in history……. Yes, I would be heart broken if we lose tonight, but WOW,WHAT A YEAR!!!! THANKS TO THE PLAYERS AND COACHES WHO MADE IT HAPPEN, AND TO THE BEST FANS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, OUR BIG BLUE NATION!!!!!

73. Just a thought
    8:04 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

There will still be a lot of OSU and L’Ville fans in New Orleans…question is, who will they cheer for? I’m actually hearing a lot about L’Ville fans pulling for UK. Maybe, out of spite, OSU fans will want to see Kansas lose? OR, should we just assume that all remaining OSU and Ville fans will pull for the underdog?

74. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:04 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

BTW, thank you to all of the people on State street for the couch burning/car fires after Saturday’s win. Instead of us being in the national media for making the Championship game, we are now in the media for having a select few idiot fans. Part of the reason we root for Kentucky to win the championship, is to shut all the other people up. But now, we just look like fools. A few rotten apples have spoiled the bunch. Here is to hoping that the same stuff doesn’t happen after we win it all tonight..

75. Just a thought
    8:07 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Azibuike’s Bicep. I can’t understand why anyone would use this shot at a National Championship as an opportunity to vandalize, riot and potentially hurt people. I read that some folks were throwing beer bottles at police while they were trying to put out couch-fires…REALLY???

76. Chapel thrill
    8:20 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I cannot believe the statements made by mike and mike about Coach Cal.
    Especially on the day of the game!
    No more mike and mike for me!

77. G
    8:23 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s banners are made for coming back down!

78. BigBlueCats
    8:24 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I cant believe someone would say houses needed to be burned. A couple years ago my parents house burned down then almost exactly a year later the garage that is 40 yards from the house burned down. It changes ur life forever even if you dont live there anymore and I would wish it on my worst enemy. Same with cars. Unless the peoples cars who were burned were doing an insurance job, still not right, then why would u burn maybe their only source of transportation and possibly cause an explosion if the flames made it to the gas tank. Having fun yelling and drinking beer is all good. But when u destroy something like that you should spend a very long time in jail

79. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:25 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

81-I’m usually not one to critcize grammar, but when it is so bad that your post doen’t even make sense, then I have to point it out. Do you want a redo on that comment?

80. BigBlueCats
    8:30 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

See above comment ^ I meant to say I WOULDNT wish it on my worst enemy. Should have proof read better.
    81- did u skip school today? Does ur mom know

81. Just a thought
    8:30 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

What did Mike & Mike say about Cal?

82. BigBlueCats
    8:40 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

The world is ending. Bob Knight didnt say anything bad about UK on Mike and Mike

83. Kwildcat
    8:40 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

We get number 8 and name this team “The Unstoppables”

84. Holmes Hall Alumni
    8:41 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

#81 – Man up and tell us your real name and where me might further this conversation. If not, STFU.

Going for #8.

#lafamilia

85. We Are UK, We are #1
    8:50 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Knight compared A.Davis to Bill Russell

86. Uk4life
    8:51 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt et al, you have made this season memorable for me as well as the thousands who now follow KSR. Visiting the site has become my daily routine from the time I wake up and throughout the day. This team will be my favorite because of their poise and skills and their unselfish play throughout the season. Things have gone well during the tournament. Now, finish the season with a flourish and fulfill your dreams, Cats.

87. Fear the Brow, Bro
    8:55 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

per Courier Journal:
    Joey Frederick, who joined the revelry in Lexington, said Saturday’s win warranted a party on campus. “We are the best team in America,” he said. “I think houses should burn.”

This is the kind of idiots we will have running around tonight….everyone wear a flame-proof-suit

88. Keyts
    8:57 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Wake up KRS!!! BBN is waiting for new post

89. paratrooper
    8:58 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

i just couldn’t post something positive without a stupid political comment. because i’m an angry, uninformed bitter old man. i blame the lack of education in my day. never really had a chance. politics are not really my thing, but i love me some extremism.

90. Chuck
    8:58 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

No jury in lexington would convict you if you beat the crap out of these rioting morons. Attention seeking fools.

91. Chapel thrill
    8:59 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

mike and mike alluded that Coach Cal and in addition to school he previously coached should have gotten slammed. And although determined to be not guilty by NCAA, he was. Also,they said Coach Cal’s first NCAA title would not be consdered the same level as Bill Self’s or Roy Williams’s first NCAA championship win based upon above comment.

92. Fear the Brow, Bro
    9:03 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

95- In addition to what you said…they mentioned that Calipari basically ran away from the schools dodging punishment. It was almost signaling he knew he would be guilty/facing convictions just as comparable to what Pete Carroll did at USC escaping to the NFL.

93. QuickyRicky
    9:07 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

@81. G as in G spot, I guess with your attitude you have never been touched. That’s okay, we know the line beards can’t satisfy in those situations, always coming up short or coming to quickly. Enjoy our day.

94. Bob
    9:17 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Scott Reid and Scott Mansch pick Kansas.

95. Scoutblue23
    9:20 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I am so disgusted, embarrassed, and enraged by the State Street crowd. This hopefully will be our EIGHTH folks, not our first. Doesn’t matter whether you were still at the teat during the last one, it’s no excuse to become barbaric vandals (oops, redundant.) Police should have tear gas and tasers and use them. Grow up, you little turds.

96. deaf ears
    9:25 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

the idiot drunks will be out in full effect, burning and tipping. nothing anyone says here will change that. i hope the cops kick the crap out of anyone damaging cars or other people’s property. make their parents travel to get them out of jail…or the hospital. Destroy your own stuff, on your own lawn. oh, and more nudity please.

97. Rixter
    9:28 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

I kinda doubt Joey Frederick is 50 YR old man who has been a Cat fan for 48 years. I’d be willing to bet he’s a 20 year old student who couldn’t tell you who the all-time scorer in UK history is.
    In fact, I’d bet that those burning couches and turning cars over do not include any long-time UK fans. WE know better. WE respect the University, the program, the history of UK basketball, and most of all we respect the UK legacy. Celebrate, sure. Enjoy it…. whoop it up. But keep it respectable. If you’re a true fan, of course.

98. BravoBigBlue
    9:38 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Of course this “rioting” around UK’s campus is ridiculous. But is not unique to Kentucky. It has happened numerous times before following major sporting events. And the media has reported on it, condemned it, etc. But let’s not get carried away. This is primarily college students being college students and “acting stupidly” (as obama would say). Lex police should have the paddy wagons lined up tonight and begin arresting the nitwits as soon as anything remotely out-of-line starts to happen. Otherwise, let’s all get behind the Cats tonight and enjoy the experience. Can’t wait! Go Cats!

99. CA
    9:52 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Will there be a live feed on this site for Monday’s show

100. ukcatsmike
    10:05 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Such a well written article, couldn’t have said it any better. I feel so good about tonight. I do hope people don’t get crazy like Saturday night, let’s win this with class and not have the nation look upon us in any negative light at all. Tonight will be a large time, enjoy everyone. Go Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

101. Whos the sexiest KSRcollege girl?
    10:08 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

102. obi-wan
    10:12 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Don’t let Mike & Mike wind you up so much. If they really said “Coach Cal’s first NCAA title would not be consdered the same level as Bill Self’s or Roy Williams’s first NCAA championship win”, that is not even an anti-Cal statement, it is objectively stupid. What does it even mean? They’re just winding up Cal and Kentucky fans.

103. NashvilleCatMama
    10:17 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

The Nashville Tennessean picked Kansas by 2. Oh yeah, you said no RESPONSIBLE journalist picked Kansas. See what I have to put up w/ in Nashville: The Tennessean AND Clay Travis!

104. mj44
    10:25 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

This is our night–Coach Cal, the team and the BBN–we are going to be winning #8. The team did not play well on Saturday and they have never had two bad games in a roll. They are ready for this game and focused. They will bring their A-game and we get to enjoy it!This has been a season for the ages. Go Big Blue!

105. Cal's Pal
    10:44 am April 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, did you announce who guessed the score the closest to the UK-UL game from Wednesday’s show?

106. BlueJesus