“My Old Kentucky Home” Should Be On Every NCAA Fan’s Bucket List

myOldKyHome

ESPN made a road map of what events were must-sees for college sports fans, and amid beanpots, fields of blue, and breakfast clubs lies Our Old Kentucky Home.

One of the best traditions in Kentucky is apparently one of the best traditions, not just in college basketball, but college sports as a whole.  And if you’ve ever made it to Rupp and stuck around to hear it sung, you know why it’s on the list.  In case you don’t, though, Eamonn Brennan explains:

In Kentucky, the Wildcats and their fans sing “My Old Kentucky Home,” and they’re not alone — the official song of the Commonwealth is so popular you can likewise belt it out at Louisville, Murray State, Eastern, Western and of course at the Kentucky Derby, seersucker suit sold separately. Still, the old sing-song harmony dating back to the mid-1850s takes on modern heft in Rupp Arena, never more so than on senior night, when 20,000 members of Big Blue Nation create the kind of soaring sporting chorus you rarely hear this side of the pond. Goosebumps are a guarantee.

I remember being at Rupp when Cal’s home streak was broken against Baylor, and My Old Kentucky Home was sung then, and even in the midst of the depression, it was still something to behold.

Article written by Corey Nichols

8 Comments for “My Old Kentucky Home” Should Be On Every NCAA Fan’s Bucket List

1. ushouldno
    5:46 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Federal Hill, “My Old Kentucky Home” was owned by the Rowan family. Late in 1865 they freed their slaves, when they left the former slaves traveled to southwest Jefferson county where many of their descendents still live today. They started the community of Meadowlawn and have a family cemetery near Johnsontown road.

2. Dufus
    5:57 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

The only disrespect I’ve ever heard by visiting team fans was in commwealth stadium when the lsu fans were chanting lsu-lsu over the singing of “My Old Kentucky Home” before the game. We paid #1 back though when we WON—-Brooks greatest victory!!!

3. well
    6:04 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

outside of ky, not too many people know about MY OLD KY HOME.

4. Isaac in Louisville
    6:24 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

One of my favorite memories of this song is from when I was living in San Francisco in 2012. I watched most of our games at Zeke’s with a bunch of other BBN ex-pats, but there were probably upwards of 200 in attendance for the National Title game. After the final buzzer, we all just broke into “My Old Kentucky Home”. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life, being 2000 miles from home, singing this song with all these strangers.

5. Tom Sellecks Mustache
    9:49 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Without a doubt my favorite part of watching a game at Rupp. So much pride singing that song.

6. bigcatstanding
    10:07 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Hoping you read the responses because I would like to see that article about best coaches to get top talent to the NBA. I remember reading it and that Coach Cal was tops by far. It was coaches in the last 10 years, and what the success rate on getting 5☆ athletes to the NBA . and whether they were first rounders / lottery picks or overall number 1 pick, or just got there or didn’t get drafted. Piont system was five points for 1st overall pic four points for lottery pick 3 points for a first rounder and 2 for second round and 0 for not being drafted. John Calipari was number 1 by a landslide. His average point on his kids was 3.2 / Coach Ks score was 1.3 / Rick Pitino score was 0.8 meaning his top talent was stymied under his care, having half of his top athletes going undrafted. And the article also showed Coach Cal was very good at getting four star athletes to the NBA. So if these kids are as smart as they say they are, a little research would bring the best talent to Kentucky UK that is. BBN OWNS YOU YA THAT MEANS YOU. ILF#9

7. bigcatstanding
    10:14 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#4 That is cool as hell I wish that was my memory. The memory I can’t get out of my head was 1992 last second shot lost Duke lol. And I also have 4 great memories of Kentucky winning the national title in 1978 / 96 / 98 / 2012. The first one I remember Kyle Macy had the flu and almost didn’t play, and Goose Givens had 41 points setting a all time record for a championship game. that’s the stuff my therapist says I should focus on lol.

8. Linda Taylor
    11:39 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

3 – When I was in 7th grade in AZ everyone in that grade in the entire school (which was the only school that had 7th graders in the entire city of 12,000) watched a movie about Stephen Foster during an assembly. “My Old Kentucky Home” was one of the songs played during that movie. Anyone who has ever watched the Kentucky Derby has heard of that song. Anyone who has ever studied music is familiar with Stephen Foster’s repertoire. That is a whole lot of people outside the state of KY. In other words you don’t know what you are talking about. That song is a standard in many beginner music books and courses.