Muschamp on Today’s Game

Will Muschamp, today’s opposing coach, led his Gators to their first shut-out victory over Kentucky since the 1996 season.  After the game he was asked a multitude of questions from media members about his team’s performance and his take on the game.  Below are some quotes that stood out.

Muschamp on not acquiring any sacks against an already shaky Kentucky passing attack.

“We were able to rush four guys pretty much the way we wanted to and cover. That’s what we did. Especially as the game wore on, I told Dan Quinn (UF Defensive Coordinator), They’re having a hard time moving [the ball] so let’s just cover them and rush four guys.”

That’s highly concerning to me for a variety of reasons.  One, Florida was able to force 3 interceptions on only 27 passing attempts without applying pressure from their Linebackers and Safeties.  Their 4 Linemen were able to force plenty of pressure by themselves.  Now, I fully understand that Newton is not our primary Quarterback, it would have been better with Smith playing, but it’s concerning to know pressure wasn’t needed to force bad decisions. That’s a reflection on coaching as well as our Quarterback.

On holding Kentucky scoreless.

“Any time you get a shutout, man, those things are hard to come by in this day and age of football, regardless of who you’re playing.”

All things considered, Florida could’ve played better today which makes Kentucky fans feel uneasy about the remaining portions of the season.  From all accounts on the Gator side, play was very conservative, which make a 38 point margin of defeat look that much worse.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

22 Comments for Muschamp on Today’s Game

1. BBB
    8:43 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

We are awful in case you didn’t know. Next week will be worse. This program will not get another dollar of my money. I’m not even going to buy a shirt with UK on it, football or basketball until a change is made. Hopefully that will be before we win #9 so I can buy the National Championship shirt.

2. James K
    8:49 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

In other words, ‘we sort of felt sorry for them.’

3. J
    8:53 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Let’s be honest, Mitch knows basketball will keep us at bay. I just don’t understand why ky never even attempts to field a quality fb team. Wouldn’t it make sense financially to invest in a good ouch and upgrade facilities?

4. snarkster
    9:00 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

In other words, “lets just fall back and let their QB beat himself.”

5. WTF
    9:04 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

i’ve been to 2 World Fairs and a goat [email protected]#$%…and i’ve NEVER seen anything like this! joker’s gotta go

6. Linda Taylor
    9:07 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

At least Georgia has put up more points on Vandy in the first half than Florida did on KY. #smallvictories Also UL is tied at 14 with FIU.

7. Bigjerm
    9:10 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Why does KSR even cover football? Its a joke and we as # BBN deserve better than just putting a team on the field! I’m over it !

8. BBB
    9:15 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Barney is more tore up about our volleyball and soccer loss than the football meltdown. Probably laying in bed right now crying about it.

9. The Dirty Thirty
    9:17 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Did we lose today? Oh well. I do believe we will have a pretty good team in a couple years regardless who the coach is. I do like that Joker is playing a lot of underclassmen, that will help in the future. Really want to see what Towles can do. You guys can give up on this team. I’m excited to see the youngsters get a chance. I’m not jumping off the band wagon. Blue forever!

10. BiffTannen
    9:22 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m with you, 9. Yeah, we suck at football. But I think whoever takes this job is going to be surprised at how much young talent he’ll inherit. The problem is most coaches will look at the facilities and say, “No, thanks.” Still, I think a guy like Taggart (he’ll have much better offers than ours at the end of the year) could take the talent on this team and make it formidable in the coming years. But, like you, I’m excited to see the underclassmen grow up and play either way.

11. Ridge Runner
    9:28 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Just one request… Don’t use the word “Coach” when you refer to Joker.

12. carnifex
    9:31 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t see the game. Spent all day with my dad. He had an emergency pace maker put in Tuesday. We had fun.

Next weekend is not going to be pretty. OBC is going to skin Mushmouth and use him like a wet suit. It will be that ugly. And Mushmouth, Barney, and UK deserve it for bringing Mushmouth back for this abortion of a season. The only think that would make me happier than Mushmouth being fired ala Donald Trump, mid-eason, is if Barney joined him on the firing line.(a guy can hope)

Thank you God for my dad. And thank you for allowing me to miss the piss poor position Mushmouth put Morgan Newton in. Let’s face it, Newton is what he is, but Mushmouth keeps trotting him out there. I feel sorry for Newton, who apparently is a pretty good kid, put in a bad position, by his coach.

Eff you Mushmouth, for what you’ve done to UK football, and all the careers you’ve ruined. And double eff you Barney for allowing it to happen.

13. carnifex
    9:42 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Let’s have a little reality here…You guys bragging on Mushmouth playing young players. “It gives them experience.” It sure as heck does, but then we have to recruit, and the recruits, who only come to UK for “playing time” see freshman, and sophmores already playing. So, are they going to come to sit behind players just a year in front of them? No! And so after the crop of young players we have get’s to be seniors and juniors, they have no back ups, but we are “decent”.(with no injuries). The seniors and juniors graduate,and we’re playing our freshman again, and we’re “young” again. This is why we have yoyo seasons.

You need to red-shirt ALL your freshmen…period. Then the next class, and the next, and the next. Then you have the adequate depth we need to compete year in and year out to be “decent”.(this doesn’t even start us on the road to being good)

14. Pete Rose
    9:55 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

UF basically treated this as a glorified scrimmage by working on their passing game most of the day.

15. The Dirty Thirty
    9:58 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Those are some scary eyes on Muschamp. Kind of eyes you see on mass murderers.

16. john4uk
    10:03 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

According to coaches,Newtin was battling Smit for the starting position.Smith must have been sick during the early fall practice period or just was’nt being productive.Anyway,did’nt Joker say that UK would always have a backup qb ready to take over?

17. J A Brooks
    10:31 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

13) Maybe the dumbest post I’ve seen in KSR history.

18. carnifex
    11:18 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Never read your own I guess, Brooks? Instead of an ad hominem attack why don’t you try refuting it.

Ps

Did I step on your Mushmouth worship?

Or in your case, PMS.

19. BigBlueFever
    1:55 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Carnifex I agree with you…glad to hear your dad is doing better.

20. Mushmouth
    8:01 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

#17, Mmm hmm!

21. GATORCHOMP
    10:08 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Just pray and be glad we took PITY on you LOSERS!

22. Ricky-3-stacks
    1:09 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Come on Matt Jones give us a better blogger than this clown.