Murray State Player Drives Car into Two People

zay jackson

The most disturbing video you will see today comes to us from Matt Norlander at CBSSports.com, who showcases the footage behind the Zay Jackson arrest. Jackson you may remember, is a Sophomore guard at Murray State who was poised to be a part of what could be the best Murray State team of all time. But he was recently charged with wanton endangerment (which always makes me think of the story of the Bell County juror who acquitted someone on the charge because he “wasn’t a wantin’ to do it”) and sentenced to 30 days in jail. He has been suspended from the team but early indications are that the Murray State coach seems to believe that he will be back.

However if you watch this video (he is driving the white car), you might wonder how he could play at all this year:

Article written by Matt Jones

95 Comments for Murray State Player Drives Car into Two People

1. Coffeeman
    2:36 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

What is this…How do you…I don’t even…How? Did he have a GTAIV flashback or something?

2. Johnny_Cash36
    2:36 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Why in the world would you let this kid come back ever? Terrible, terrible.

3. what?
    2:37 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

How could they let him back on the team after that?!?

4. Jason Orr
    2:37 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Doesn’t surprise me racial slurs were used. Its mccracken county, about 10 minutes down the road tater day is held and, lets just say, black people aren’t too welcome

5. Jiminy Xmas
    2:38 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Wow. I don’t see how that dude is gonna be able to play. There are not ANY justifications for that. He could have killed those people. I wonder what provoked him?

6. #Rise
    2:39 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Who cares if they used racial slurs. That doesn’t give you the right to run over people.

7. BBM88
    2:40 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

The car surfer deserved it, he’s not even human. He is clearly some sort of Wizard. He snaps his fingers and dissapears about the 2:56 mark.

8. Alum
    2:42 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I think the guy was white trash, but it still doesn’t excuse his actions. Supposedly Zay pushed a shopping cart and it hit a car, and this man and wife were yelling at him for it and trying to get his plates and then he acted this way.

9. Mack
    2:42 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

The coach wants him back? Maybe he plans on him driving a car down the lane.

10. cgivens21
    2:43 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

While there are certainly elements of Jackson’s conduct that are indefensible, I will say that it’s difficult to understand the context of the entire altercation without audio, which isn’t available. There have been accusations of racial slurs used, and denials of them as well, so it’s hard to know what to believe. I will say that from all indications around the athletic program, it seems that the AD and coaches genuinely believe that Zay regrets what happened that day. I think the best thing for the university to do would be to suspend him from all team activities indefinitely without comment until the public forgets about it, then quietly bring him back after Christmas.

11. BleedRed
    2:46 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#4 – That isn’t McCracken County, it’s Calloway County. McCracken County is Paducah, this was in Murray.

12. Mack
    2:46 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Certainly he regrets being caught on video. But if he is good enough he will be placed back on the team.

13. Hang Ten!!!!!!!
    2:47 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Just another example why you shouldn’t watch Jersey Shore.

14. RealCatsFan
    2:47 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry, but racial slurs would not come close to justifying his actions. The dude should be charged with aggravated wanton endangerment, and possibly felony battery. A car is a weapon, folks! This act was no less wanton than firing a gun in the direction of a crowd. Looks like he was the instigator anyway – he obviously hit the car with the shopping cart intentionally. One word for him – punk!

FWIW, here is the text from an article showing the victims’ point of view:

The couple Murray State basketball player Zay Jackson is accused of hitting with his car spoke exclusively with WPSD Local 6 detailing what they went through and clearing up the rumors that are being spread.

“It was the scariest day I’ve ever had in my entire life. I thought my husband was gonna be dead,” said Alia Clement. She said the incident has traumatized her entire family. “When my seven year old daughter saw her father, she started hysterically crying because of him bleeding and how bad he was scraped up.”

Alia did not want to appear on camera, but says she and her husband are good people who were trying to report an incident. She says she saw Zay Jackson push a shopping cart into a truck parked outside Walmart and then laugh about it.

When she commented on his actions, she says Jackson got in his car, drove up, and then threatened her husband. At that point, he tried to snap a picture of Jackson’s license plate to report him to police. She said, “He walks around to the back of the car to take the picture. As he’s going for it, the guy puts the car into reverse and backs into his knees and pops him back about a foot.”

Jackson allegedly hit the Clements more than once eventually flipping Jason onto the hood of the car. When Jackson hit the brakes, Jason hit the pavement. “Everyone is saying minor injuries, but my husband can barely walk. He can’t even really hug our kids because it hurts too bad. He hasn’t been able to hold my one year old baby daughter since it happened, because it hurts too bad,” said Clement.

She says the rumors about her husband using a racial slur are not true, and says just because Jackson is a college athlete doesn’t mean he should get away with what he’s accused of doing.

“It’s a privilege to play for a college team. He threw his own opportunities away. Not us,” Clement said.

15. Les Miles
    2:50 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

14. Bingo. That’s absurd that he only got 30 days.

16. Jatt Mones
    2:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

There is never any justification for trying to run people over with a car.

17. Bus
    2:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Bah. That only got him one star. He probably just drove around for a bit until it went away. Next time he should put in the cheat code for the tank.

18. Cry Me a River
    2:53 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#15, care to mention which “upper crust” neighborhoods in Lexington that black people aren’t too welcome in?

19. #9
    2:53 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#4 First off, if you are going to make a statement such as that at least get the county right. “Tater Day” is held in Marshall Co. Second, I have read this blog since its first month and I am sad that this is my first comment. Go Cats!!!

20. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    2:54 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Um, that’s two counts of attempted murder.

21. Hang Ten!!!!!!!
    2:55 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

…someone is absolutely clueless here…kid obviously didn’t use or have any heart on the basketball court….

22. catcrawler
    2:55 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I hope he was on drugs, that’s the best possible excuse for being such a POS.

23. shields eyes
    2:55 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I agree with number 7! Something is wrong with the camera. One second he is there the next he is gone.

24. Bus
    2:58 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

…On a serious note, it seems way to convenient to say “he called me a racial slur” after you run the guy over with your car because he was trying to hold you responsible for damaging someone else’s property. He’s probably lying.

Even if he isn’t, as has been stated, it still doesn’t give you the right to hit someone with your car because of it.

25. Frank Drebin Says
    2:59 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone get a license plate number?? Anyone get a look at the driver??

26. El Nino
    3:01 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

growing up in Zay’s ‘hood you were taught to keep driving if someone jumps on your car…FREE ZAY!

27. aja
    3:02 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Anything can (and does) go away @ MSU for athletes. It will be as if it never happened.

28. Bus
    3:04 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#7 and #24: The guy is actually Voldemort. That was what the driver was so offended about, he called him a “filthy muggle”.

29. J.T
    3:06 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Disgusting! What makes it worse is that he is trying to use “racial slurs” as a reason to justify his actions, something that probably didnt even happen but jackson is trying to use to make what he did seem ok. It’s obvious from the video that he intended to hurt the couple and drove for at least a minute with the man on his hood before he fell off and then kept going without checking to see if the man required medical assistance. If I were Jackson, I wouldn’t worry about basketball thi season, I’d be worried if I were about to spend the next couple of years in jail.

30. Magic
    3:06 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Guy in orange shirt disappears at 2:58!

31. Davefromdagalp
    3:09 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Yea, I seen that shopping Cart “Supposedly” bounce back up in the air about a fott and a half after it was “Supposedly” pushed into that car. What the dude that owned that car should have done, was to drag his ass out the window and give him a blacktop facial.

32. Traffic Cop
    3:10 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Whats even worse is he was driving the wrong way in a one way parking lot. I hate it when people do that.

33. Chicago Chris
    3:11 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Her story sounds believable but her description of the severity of his injuries is ridiculous:

“He can’t even really hug our kids because it hurts too bad. He hasn’t been able to hold my one year old baby daughter since it happened, because it hurts too bad”

Come on.

34. OJ
    3:12 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

They was calling me racial slurs? Even I wouldn’t try that bulls**t defense.

35. Pete Thamel
    3:18 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

It was clearly Self defense, Early reports state that the two men attacking the car were Nerlens Noel and Willie Cauley Stein, they were obviously skipping class!

36. cgivens21
    3:19 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Normally I would agree that the racial slur defense is just a bailout, in this case I’m not sure. The couple came out and said that no slurs were used even before the allegations were spread. It seems odd that you would deny something before you’re even accused of it.

37. 96cats98
    3:24 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

WTF???? Wanton Endangerment? How about Attempted Murder??? F-ed up!

Still, funny how the dude stands up and waives after he rolls off the hood of the car.

38. Women Everywhere
    3:29 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

19. Turkey Foot

39. Bobby Knight
    3:31 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

These kind of student athletes are NOT welcome at Indiana. Looks like they belong at a SEC school.

40. James K
    3:43 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, that’s jail time. He shouldn’t be playing basketball.

41. Rixter
    3:44 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Oh, well….if he regrets it,, then you gotta let him back on the team

42. BravoBigBlue
    3:46 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

As a proud Murray State graduate and fan of the basketball program, I say kick his ass off the team. NOW. FOREVER. There’s no justification for what he did. And if he weren’t a basketball player, he would be spending time in prison, not just 30 days in the county jail. Please coach, do the right thing and kick him off. Don’t run a thug program.

43. capt
    3:47 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

jump to conclusions much? why did they surround his car? if a couple of guys surround my car, and are maybe shouting threats at me, i might just run them over too. there are 2 sides to every story. let’s make sure this kid didn’t believe his life was in jeopardy before we hang him. none of you guys were actually there to hear what was going on.

44. Josh
    3:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

If this kid plays again Murray State’s coaching staff is a joke. There is no excuse for this. He should’ve had more jail time.

45. Bobby Knight
    3:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#46 is stupider than Brent Musberger

46. RealCatsFan
    3:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#44, the only thing he regrets is that there was a camera rolling to catch him in the act.

#46, I would be more apt to agree with you if the camera did not clearly show him ramming the cart into the van in the lot. That is simply a punk-ass move! Then you see him back up over the guy when he tries to take the picture, which seems to match her account of the incident. He had every opportunity to drive away, but he pulled around instead to start more sh**.

The racial slur defense reminds me of the rioters in Libya justifying their actions because someone took Mohammad’s name in vain. No excuse!

47. Fans
    3:52 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

…..this punks total disregard of others and the law is obvious.
    Pushes cart into car then backs into ppl then runs them over.

Yeah he’ll get off easy due to Basketball But after… and I think we’ll all see his pictures….Front and Side views… IMO

48. Joe
    3:52 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

46: Exactly, what if this was self defense??!! Just from the video we don’t have enough evidence.

I mean, what if they were UL fans, then there would be obvious justification.

Seriously, what are the facts of the story? We don’t know.

49. Assassin number 2
    3:53 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey #14 as Artie Lang would say “WAAAAAAAA”

50. Cardale Jones
    3:54 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

We didn’t come here to play SCHOOL

51. Roofus Howls
    3:54 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Okay, I wouldn’t exactly call McCracken County “racially diverse”. It may be compared to the rest of west Kentucky, but that’s like being the soberest day of Billy Gillispie’s career at UK.

Tater Day is in Benton, which is Marshall County – of Hoops Fest fame.

I’m a MSU alum. I’ve taught at MSU. I’m ashamed if this kid ever plays for MSU again.

52. kes
    3:55 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

51. racist stereotype much?

53. Fans
    3:56 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I know right #52. I bet YOU think maybe the USA didn’t get enough evidence on Pearl Harbor. I bet you think too, that the Japanese, of that time, had obvious justification.

You’re sad dude!

You are Mr. Situational Ethics…..aren’t you.

54. RICK
    3:58 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

What the hell is a racial slur, is this 1968?

55. capt oblivous
    3:58 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

# 46 – You are clearly joking. This middle aged couple that is clearly out of shape were clearly no threat to this child – except that they attempted to get his license plate number to report his childish actions with the cart. You think they were endangering his life? You are either joking or delusional. Aside from that, he very obviously drove around (out of his way) to stop and ‘continue the conversation’ when he could of simply drove away. He also could have just driven off when they were attempting to get his plate #…you know, instead of trying to run the dude over.

You are probably one of the guys who way urging everyone to hold off and not convict Sandusky…you know, because there was just a lot of circumstantial evidence and false accusations. It is clear what happened here. If you can’t see it you might want to check your spectacles.
    “2 guys” – nope a man and his wife.
    “maybe shouting threats to me” Who is making assumptions now?
    “life was in jeopardy” That is just absurd. Anyone with a half a brain can see that is not what happened here.

56. RealCatsFan
    4:00 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Folks, watch the video again – he was doing at least 35 mph through that parking lot with the guy on the hood. If the guy had flown off into oncoming traffic when he made that right turn we could be talking about a murder or manslaughter case here. Totally indefensible.

57. BleedRed
    4:00 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#46 Hard to claim self defense when he approached them.

58. Riggo
    4:01 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t know it was illegal to use racial slurs.

59. BravoBigBlue
    4:01 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

51 kes – Just keeping it real. We don’t need no stinkin’ political correctness. When a person of any color tries to run down 2 people of any color with a vehicle and then cries “racial slurs!” I say BS! This thug, who in this case is a darker shade of pale, should stand trial for attempted murder. How bout dem apples, bruh!?

60. Riggo
    4:03 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

You hit a car with a cart and then try to run over me or anybody else…..I’ll call you whatever I want.

61. BravoBigBlue
    4:04 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

56 kes – Sorry, I misstated your number, bruh! We cool!

62. Feezie
    4:09 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#s 46, 52, et al. Hesitantly, I’m forced to agree. When being threatened in a Walmart parking lot, my first reaction is to casually enter my car. My second reaction is to pull through the parking space in front of me. My third reaction is to slowly drive around the parking aisle. My fourth reaction is to drive the wrong way down the adjacent parking aisle. At this point, I’m simply tired of reacting so I stop my car and continue to be threatened.

While Zay may have better reactive ability on the hardwood, when it comes to Walmart parking lot altercations, we are two peas in one justified pod.

63. Clay Travis
    4:16 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Are we surprised that this happened in Kentucky? I dont think so, btw i like weiners

64. Riggo
    4:18 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

They say he’ll come back and play. How in the hell can be miss thirty days of class, and still be eligible? F$&@ this kid. Put him under the jail.

65. somethin
    4:20 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Somethin aint right here! Why were those two guys approaching the car? Was he doing this in self defense…….

66. BravoBigBlue
    4:24 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

46, 52 – I watched it again very closely and now I completely agree with you! The white couple was acting stupidly! The young African lad was simply trying to help the white couple find their car. The white couple just didn’t appropriately appreciate the kind gesture on the part of the African lad. There is no story here whatsoever. Except for a couple of redneck crackers that had no business in that parking lot anyway. What were they thinking?

67. Chuck Norris
    4:31 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#65) There are these things with words called articles, and they sometimes explain or give background information on what happened in a YouTube video…

68. The Miz
    4:34 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#65..Really??.. Really?? Read one of the 60 previous comments..jeez

69. barn
    4:34 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

that’s assault with a deadly weapon

70. sgt.stadenko
    4:43 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Typical that the race card is used as the first defense for acting a fool

71. Upon Further Review
    4:49 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

After closely watching the video again, I have reversed my stance. It is obvious that the guy in the red intentionally and violently kicked the rear bumper of Mr. Jackson’s car, and then added insult to injury by flinging himself onto the hood, undoubtedly doing significant damage to his car! Mr. Jackson had no choice but to flee from the scene, with the perp hanging on trying to do further damage. Quick, someone call the Heavy Hitter!

72. BravoBigBlue
    4:52 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

71 – Classic! Can we all just agree that the white people were acting stupidly? Let’s all go have a beer together.

73. unreconstructed
    5:06 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#70– You’re right about the race card. It’s now the American way!!

74. Cosmo
    5:08 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Mr. Jackson better call Jackie Chiles…giddyupp

75. bee-rad
    5:13 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

looks like zay needs an a** whippin

76. steve farmer
    5:14 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

tell jason,#4 he needs to know a little more about the area before he makes comments. this is not mccracken co. and tater day is in the next county over.

77. Dane Brammage
    5:36 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Uncool. President of the University should handle this. He should be kicked out of school.

78. dearly
    5:48 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

If I was the victim, I’d spend the rest of my life making sure this punk paid dearly.

79. Downtown
    6:29 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

As a Racer Alum, this is absolutely disgusting. Great, we’re getting thug players on campus, how wonderful….

80. egcatfan
    6:31 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Sweet, the cripple drive offense.

81. asdfghjl
    7:35 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

If you called me a racial slur I wouldn’t run you over, but I would definitely attempt to beat the shish out of you. Legal or not.

82. Zay
    7:51 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

They’s wuz trying to hurt me and my homey. I dont cure wat any you whities think.

#81…Holla at cha boy. Imma see ya in jail real soon, ya heard me?

83. Joe
    8:09 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Just to let you guys know. While he may be only serving 30 days in jail, he is also serving four years of probation and quite a numerous amount of community service. Also, due to him being a Murray State student (I have a friend who is in a class with him), he will only be serving on weekends. So things do even out, somewhat.

84. Serious
    8:18 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

#83 “So things do even out, somewhat.” Huh? Trying to kill someone with your car and having jail time moved to weekends so you can attend school (and coincidentally retain eligibility to play baskebtball) is “evening out?” What planet do you live on?

85. barn
    8:32 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

boys will be boys and try to kill somebody with their car now and then. he only maimed the guy a little. little harm little foul

86. old_school
    9:06 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Ann Coulter’s new book “Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the seventies to Obama” would be a perfect read for folks who are even tempted to defend this thug.

87. Kyle
    11:07 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

It looked to me like the Murray state kids slammed a shopping cart into someone’s parked car… And then the owner confronted them. Even though those kids from Murray state were probably in the wrong… What kind of idiot(a white one at that) charges the front of a car aggressively and doesn’t expect a couple of black kids to run over them, in a extremely southern town? It’s near Ledbetter… It’s redneck.

88. Kyle
    11:09 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Those two white dudes were probably packing semi automatic rifles in the back window of there truck…

89. Kyle
    11:14 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

All I’m saying… As a college student, you don’t know what you would do if two dudes were charging the front of your vehicle. You’re probably scared poopless… And made a rash mistake. Unless those guys planned on beatin them to death

90. catdaddyd
    12:24 am October 16, 2012 Permalink

“(which always makes me think of the story of the Bell County juror who acquitted someone on the charge because he “wasn’t a wantin’ to do it”) and sentenced to 30 days in jail. ” Doesn’t say this guy got 30 days.

91. RealCatsFan
    7:39 am October 16, 2012 Permalink

Kyle, read the article again – and watch the video. It wasn’t “two dudes charging in front of the car”, it was a middle aged man and woman. He did not charge the car, he walked around back to take a picture. The perp did not like this – he knew that would get him in trouble, so he got mad and decided to run them over. You can say the victims were redneck and “probably packing semi automatic rifles” if you want, but if you want to stretch to that conclusion, one could also stereotype the black kids in the car as packing crack and a 9 mm. I’m sorry, but you give the appearance of being an apologist for this kid with your comments, and there is simply no excuse for his actions unless the guy was pointing a gun at him. Face it, if the Murray St kid wasn’t an azzhat by intentionally slamming a shopping cart into someone else’s property, nothing would have happened.

The moral of the story is think before you act. Almost everyone has a camera built into their phone nowadays, and there are security cameras everywhere. It is a lot tougher to be a troublemaker and anonymously get away with it.

92. SeoulCat
    8:00 am October 16, 2012 Permalink

#89, Are you blind or in denial? The guy in the white car drove around to confront the old couple and then backed over one of them when the individual walked behind his car (supposedly to take a photo). If the driver were truly scared and feeling threatened, he wouldn’t have A). driven around to confront the couple, or B). driven in reverse over the person standing behind his car (he could have easily continued driving forward AWAY from the “intimidating” old couple). The driver of the car needs to be sent to Sing Sing (or, Eddyville, in the case of the Bluegrass).

93. Chuck Norris
    10:05 am October 16, 2012 Permalink

86) I would rather get a prostate exam from Shaquille O’Neal than read anything by Ann SkeleCoulter.

94. Matt
    3:57 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

Who cares?

95. Denny Crums Lettuce
    6:33 pm October 16, 2012 Permalink

I’m not sure what’s wrong here? Everyone left walking!