Multiple reports say Chizik is out at Auburn

There are multiple reports out of Auburn this afternoon that Auburn president Jay Gogue has informed members of the Board of Trustees that he is preparing to fire head coach Gene Chizik. Sources tell auburn.247sports.com (pay link) that Auburn plans to remove Chizik and hire a new coach “within days after the end of the season should the decision be made that Chizik will not be retained.”

The only potential candidate the site lists is Louisville offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

The news comes less than 24 hours after Bobby Petrino Sr. told the media that his son was interested in the Kentucky job and that “his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”

Interesting timing…

64 Comments for Multiple reports say Chizik is out at Auburn

1. Kitty kats
    5:01 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

You all got punked big time…lol

2. hOOSIER Wild Cat
    5:04 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I was in SC last week and a sports show say Bobby was hired by Alburn. I just hope we don’t hire a scum bag like him.

3. In 'n out
    5:06 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

1- its cool, Charlie’s cardinal red will ALMOST match arkansas red. wait a minute, nevermind, it’s not even close…..

4. Wildcat8
    5:06 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Let the coaching carousel begin!! Smart, Dkyes, Petrino, somebody is moving.

5. 3. Yeh
    5:07 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Yes let auburn hire bobby and beat Alabama!
    Ill take Cutcliffe and his bag of grippo potato chips and lose to
    Western Kentucky anytime… And everytime!
    I love losing

6. JOhn
    5:07 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Spin continues

7. SoCal Will
    5:14 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Football is important at Auburn. Financially and emotionally it is vital to who they are. Saturdays matter. They will hire whoever they think the best coach available is. Viscerally we know who that is….

8. bluebloodtoo
    5:14 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I may have been on the fence about hiring Petrino before this, but now he is pitting one against the other or pulling strings to get hired. These shenanigans only convince me that he is another BCG with more talent. Let him go to Auburn.

9. Darnell
    5:17 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

That’ll teach you to win a National Championship!!!!!!!!!!

10. kingrex
    5:17 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

this was the purpose of his father giving that interview. Period. To get things moving.

11. 9.
    5:17 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Don’t give in that easy man!
    I know as UK fans we are supposed to.. But I challenge I not
    To give up so easy! The guy wins..
    U have a fear (rightly so) that he will go to Auburn as I have the same fear..
    But let’s win this one! Hire him!!!
    Get it done Mitch.. We want to win!!!!!!

12. 9.
    5:18 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I challenge U to not.. Spellcheck

13. Papa D Nuts
    5:22 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

#5) LOL, dont forget Fat Phil or what other retread we will hire..

14. Boson
    5:24 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Ive got few connections but one is to staff at La Tech. Dykes is NOT interested in UK. Sorry. I like him too but he’s got bigger plans is what I’m told.

15. Patty ICE
    5:28 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I’ve got a few connections to. They compare hiring Petrino at UK to when Cal retires we hire Pitino back.

16. OwensboroDavid
    5:30 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t there a stipulation that Petrino can’t coach in the SEC West?

17. Papa D Nuts
    5:30 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure whatever coach Mitch will bring in, it will make the rest of the league scratch their head and say WTF, then realize its UK and they will only be there four years.

18. Floyd
    5:31 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

What a coincidence. Nice to see Petrino hasn’t changed a bit.

19. No brainier
    5:32 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

We need to offer bobby p right now! If Mitch is serious about wanting to be a contender he is the only real coach available that can make this possible! Offer him a 5yr/ 18 million dollar contract and he will be here in a heartbeat! And he will definitely stay here for all 5 yrs for just under 4 million a yr! Any coach would! Mitch you need to show actions to back your words if money is no option. Football brings in 10 times the mobey that basketball does and we pay Cal 5 mil a yr. no reason we can’t afford 4 mil a yr for the most profitable sport on campus! Make this happen now or forever be a bottom feeder that gets excited about making the freaking music city bowl while half of the conference are playin in much much better bowls! If u want to be taken seriously, u have to take bold actions to show u mean business!!

20. BobbyPsNeckBrace
    5:33 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Bye Bye LOSERS !!! Me and my bike huggin’ sweetie are headed to greener pastures!!

21. MtnCat
    5:34 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Bobby is exactly what Kentucky needed and the timing was right.

Back to twenty more years of cellar dwelling.

22. Lu Lu pickle
    5:34 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I like your style 20!!

23. Bob Loblaw
    5:38 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

You people are crazy

24. UKRN
    5:40 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Saw that coming…even coaches that have nothing to do with us use us as a tool for leverage or kill us on the field…I really want to win but I don’t know if I could handle Bobby . I already feel we’ve been had. Just like I laughed at Loseyville years ago when you knew it was going to happen despite every Dirty Bird fan saying no way.

25. BigBluSoTru
    5:41 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Why is it a suprise that Auburn would be replacing their coach Tennese is next folks. And theres other coaches at other schools who could be moving such as Dan Mullins those hoping for Bobby, forget it he is using us as leverage.

26. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    5:45 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Like to have him at UK

27. jtd
    5:49 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

What you don’t get about Petrino is that if Mitch hired him yesterday and had a verbal agreement in place (or a signed napkin) and Auburn called him today and offered him more money he would be Auburn’s coach

28. Greg
    5:50 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Three classic lies: Check’s in the mail (need the check #?), Promise! I won’t …in your…! well we guys all know at least 5 versions of that one…. Bobby would Love to come to the UaK. LOL.

29. old_school
    5:51 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I hope Mitch sticks by his standards and says NO to Petrino.
    It’s interesting to see how BBN’s ethics have changed in the last three years. At one time – the mere suggestion of a man with Petrino’s baggage coming to UK would be squashed quickly. Now the “win at all cost” crowd is more vocal than ever.

If you get your wish, and shame follows Petrino to Lexington – you will have no one to blame but yourselves.

30. UKBlue
    5:53 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Auburn will not hire an untested coach like Watson, that would be insane. Petrino to Auburn has to happen to make Auburn fans happy because they have to be competitive against Alabama. Strong to Arkansas, maybe Watson gets promoted to the UL job.

31. Lu Lu pickle
    5:56 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Buddy I promise you I will except any and all blame if Bobby doesn’t work out!!!
    Any and all blame. But we the fans who have mailed 20,000 every freaking year to UK for football tickets deserve to get a coach we want ONCE! 20,000 each and every single freaking year… I swear to god. Put that in your old school pipe and puff

32. dufuss
    6:07 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Lets get this over with-turn the sirens back on and “REACH 4 LEACH”.

33. old_school
    6:09 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

#32. You realize that ‘except’ and ‘accept’ are two different words that mean entirely different things right? But I think I get your point. You don’t care about standards. You don’t care about right or wrong. You don’t care that young student-athletes – many of whom have no good strong male role models in their life – often look to coaches to fill that role.
    You don’t care to send the message to players, coaches and others that behavior, poor choices and a lack of integrity carry no lasting consequences. You don’t care to send the message that win – and whatever you do in your personal life – legal or illegal, moral or immoral – is ok.

Like I said – I hope Barnhart is a bigger man of character than you.

34. Bob Loblaw
    6:12 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Don’t you guys think it’s possible Petrino could be interested in both jobs? This does not mean that he is NOT interested in UK. You guys make it sound like he’s an evil genius or something with these conspiracy theories. I bet Petrino was the second gunman on the grassy knoll too

35. Yab
    6:13 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

His families is in Kentucky. He likes living in Kentucky. This is in the bag, if Barnhart doesn’t play around.

36. Not a scumbag like Petrino
    6:15 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

If Bobby Petrino really wants to coach in the SEC, he won’t come to Kentucky. The only thing that is “SEC” about our football is the patch on the uniforms. We’re only “SEC” in name. The most likely reason for his father saying that statement was to put Bobby’s name in the public’s mind as a coaching candidate. In all likelihood, he would’ve said those exact words for whatever SEC-coaching job, or for that matter any other BCS-conference coaching job, that opened up first. We just happened to decide to make a coaching change before Tennessee, Auburn, Cal, or Virginia Tech etc. Bobby Petrino is just using our coaching search to drum up media buzz about himself.

Mitch is smarter and more capable than his detractors. He’ll hire the best coach that is willing to come try and dig our football team out this hole. With the state the program, that’s the most the #BBN can REASONABLY expect. There are good reasons to believe in Mitch. After the rest of the college football world wrote off the Kentucky job in 2003, Mitch hired us Rich Brooks, a good man that made us an important factor in the SEC East. He can do it again.

This CATS fan has Mitch Barnhart’s back.

GO CATS!!!

37. Bigbluestorm
    6:24 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

You hire Petrino, pay him well, set his contract up where he cant screw us, he turns the prrogram around in 2 years, if he stay 3, 4 yrs thats great hes turned the program around and if he leaves then you bring some another to pick the program up, but you have to have a proven guy who can turn a college program around and people may not like him but hes proven that.

38. Lu Lu pickle
    6:25 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Old school.. It’s like this.. A lot of what you’re saying is right.. And my grammar does occasionally get way out in left field.. I’m to hyper. But the warped views I’m feeling right now– they have manifested over the years of sitting through Bill Curry… Rainy commonwealth about 1995 watching Nicky Nichols kick a game winning field goal to beat East Carolina 6-3… Or losing to SE Louisianna on homecoming.. I survived those years as well as Claude Bassett years.. Joker.. Etc… The urgency I have to win is for sure not spur of the moment ….. I have paid well over 500,000 to the university and the football team since joining K fund… Buddy I’m at a loss with the whole program…. I’m not quitting though….. Unless they hire Cutcliffe and his grippo potato chips

39. Petrino to Auburn
    6:31 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

It looks like I’m about to happen.

40. old_school
    6:32 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

39 – I do share your pain. I’ve been there on very cold November days (when the grass used to turn brown) and was able to make it down from the upper deck to right behind the bench because the aready small crowd vacated after halftime. We’ve been teased with success before, and burdened by mediocrity (and less) for most years. I too want to see UK succeed in football. But I don’t think comprising the instituion’s integrity again is the answer.
    Get a good coach – go north in recruiting. It’s hard for us to compete in the south for recruits against the rest of the conference and powers like Fla. State, CLemson, Miami and others. Go to Big Ten country – Ohio State is still strong, but the rest of that conference is down. Penn State is on long-term probation. There are loads of 4-star recruits up there that would love to play in the SEC, and be close enough to home so family and friends could catch a few games. Some of our best players ever (Jim Kovach and Art Still) came from that area.

Success begins with a coach, but is also dependent on players. Find a coach who can recruit that area north of the Ohio River. But also, find a coach of character.

41. burger
    6:33 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Everything has to be a conspiracy with some people.

The timing of this is called: If your going to fire your coach, do it now so you have the best pick of available candidates as well as the opportunity to give your new coach as much time as possible to begin laying the pipelines for recruiting for the next season.

This is the point in the season when “you know” if you want your coach to return or not.

Bobby Sr. talked now because the Courier Journal went to him BECAUSE the UK job was open and many in the fan base see Ricky Bobby Jr. as the only 5 star coach we can actually get.

42. Petrino to Auburn
    6:34 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Auburn will absolutely go after Petrino and there is no doubt about it. Auburn has to do this because of Saban at Alabama, they have no choice.

43. Lu Lu pickle
    6:37 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Old school your probably right. Sorry for venting earlier.. I get out there every now and then. I’m glad to be part of BBN and I’m gonna support whoever they hire.. Heck lol.. I always have! Don’t want to change now.. Take care

44. Brandon
    6:37 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know how many people on here read Tuesday Morning Quarterback on ESPN, but one of the recurring themes is that of the weasel code. TMQ’s law of weasel coaches holds that if you hire a coach that is only in it for himself, you get a coach who is only in it for himself. How long will it be before we would regret hiring him?

45. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    6:37 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Go for Chizic.

46. old_school
    6:42 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

LuLu pickle – No harm at all and I appreciate your civility – that’s rare on here indeed. You probably a true blue fan – just frustrated like the rest of us. I’m sure whoever they hire – we’ll be excited come next August – optimistic – and we’ll be rooting for the Cats. Need more fans like you.

47. Head Bussa
    6:47 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

We want Petrino! You people on your high horses need to come on down. You are not perfect! UK fans want to win A LOT of games and we deserve a coach that can do that at a high level! Get it done Mitch! Don’t back down because of Auburn. Offer the man the job and pay him a lot.

48. Beavis
    6:48 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Don’t think Auburn will take a chance on Petrino. They will look in the pros for an OC or a DC. UK is a different story,,,,,may need to take a chance on this guy. Will fill the stands and the program will show improvement year to year. Lets see Perino,,,,Petrino,,,,perfect fit.

49. MemphisCat
    6:52 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I don’t mind if they hire Bobby Jr, did he make a personal mistake, yes, he did but he is really a good coach and just made a mistake. Whatever, it takes for us to get a good coach and turn the program around.

50. Sammydog
    7:25 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Lu Lu pickle and old school…I salute you both. A potential brawl ended with honest, thoughtful discussion and mutual respect.

51. Katdaddy
    7:25 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

uk wont get petrino! Won’t pay him enough.

52. Steve
    7:34 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

If Mitch does not talk to him then Mitch needs to be chased out of town! [email protected]

53. popcorn
    7:40 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

even if we get him, he’ll leave for a better job. after 8 games or 1 season or maybe 0 games.

54. kramer
    7:46 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Someone on Twitter who is Big blue aaron?? , someone said UK has no interest in Petrino at all. I said well us UK fans we will be happy with going to BBVA compass bowl or liberty bowl with coach(??) and be happy cause he is a great guy no skeletons in closet. Meanwhile UT or Auburn will go to Sugar bowl w/Bobby Petrino but we have a morally good coach so no prob we are good, when its all over surely we’ll go to heaven for having the morally good coach!!!

55. Michael Stipe
    7:56 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Coach purrs: Hiring, replacing…

Theatrical; reduction.

Organic; reaction.

Greedy ingredients?

Explosion.

56. Gene will do
    7:57 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

I would take Chizik at UK in a heartbeat. He is well-spoken, plays a nice style of football, and has a national championship ring. Maybe he doesn’t meet Auburn’s standards in football, but he exceeds mine for UK.

57. Wild Blue
    9:59 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

# 34–Old School, sounds like you don’t want Coach Obama.

58. What
    10:16 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

@57 I would too. I think he would be a perfect hire. He is a recruiting genius. He has had the a top 5 class the last 3 years. Now we can all worry about the performance he is getting but I think the pressure at Auburn to be as good as Bama every year is having a major effect on him. I say he is our guy

59. Go
    10:18 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Let’s hire gene chizik

60. UKBlue1!
    10:19 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

#57 Rumors have it that the NCAA is about to open another investigation on Auburn. Chizik has had discipline problems with players. He inherited a lot of good young talent and complimented it with Jr. College players in his second season. Alabama was reloading, Arkansas was getting off the ground, LSU wasn’t very good that year. I dont want Chizik, Fulmer, Leach or Tressel. I hope Barnhart will call Petrino because he is the best canidate. He can make UK into a 8-9 wins a year team. That will be hard to do with our lack of State Talent. Auburn or UT will hire Petrino, UK could get him if Barnhart will offer.

61. Steve
    10:29 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Listen…ideally it would be great to hire a guy like Neal Brown. KY guy, from the state, returns home to lead his alma mater to greatness and stays for 30 years. That would be an ideal type situation. However, the chances of that happening are much slimmer than just going after the proven winner.

Let’s not over think this one! We have a vacancy…go out and hire the best coach available. Fortunately for us, that best coach available just happens to be one of the best in the business.

It’s a no-brainer. Hire Petrino straight away. Let him get to work on rebuilding UK Football. Get us top recruits. Get us back to Bowls. Make us relevant in the SEC. And get fans and morale back to Commonwealth!

62. SEC
    11:14 pm November 8, 2012 Permalink

Do you people honestly think that you’re gonna hire a better coach than Petrino that can turn this program around immediately??? Folks this is UK football and you’re gonna continue to suck unless you’re willing to take a gamble and hire the best coach available which is Petrino. Lock his ass into a contract that he can’t get out of and had clauses out the ass. You people need to wake up and smell the coffee!!

63. What
    12:11 am November 9, 2012 Permalink

Just because Petrino is a proven winner and amazing coach, does NOT mean we should ignore what this man has done. The word loyalty is not in his dictionary. Him meeting Auburn officials on a plane try to get the job while he was in the middle of coaching Louisville in a 1 loss season. Ok, its highly unethical but understandable. He leaves and goes to the Falcons and QUITS IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS FIRST SEASON! THEN at Arkansas we all know what happened. Is THIS the guy we want here? There is a reason the phrase ” win at all costs” has a negative connotation to it. Winning with him is NOT worth it. We are not talking about cheating, we are talking about what kind of person he is. I would rather have a cheater than someone like him leading our program. But the desperation to win, mainly stemming from seeing Louisville success, will come back and bite you every time. It is what it is