Mullet Cat at Burke’s Bakery Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

mulletcat5

The KSR/GOTC SEC Tourney Statewide Challenge continues, and the contest’s rising star, Mullet Cat, just stopped in Danville for some Burke’s Bakery treats. More and more teams are completing the challenge and sending in their pictures. Remember, the deadline to send in all eight of your pictures is MIDNIGHT tonight, so get out there and make us proud in the ridiculous manner possible. It’s been my favorite thing to follow today, including Vatican City #ChimneyWatch.

Cal met with the media this afternoon to talk about how his team’s preparing for the SEC Tournament. Here are some headlines:

Cal can’t wait to have his BFF, the bench, back

Cal said this year’s struggles will “make me a better coach for next season,” and reemphasized the importance of having the bench as a teaching tool. In fact, he thinks his bench might be pretty deep, hinting that it might contain a mixture of this year’s team and next year’s newcomers. Why didn’t he use the bench more this season? “I like winning more.”

“This team can turn this on–if they want to.”

Echoing what he’s said all season, Cal said that his team is talented, but it means nothing if it’s not paired with a will to win. “I still believe in this team. This team can do whatever they want.” As the season winds down, he said he hopes “these guys say enough is enough and start holding each other accountable.”

Who is giving effort 24/7? Jarrod Polson and Jon Hood, whom Cal said he might play at the four spot (power forward) going forward. Lake hair totally cares.

Yesterday’s practice was good

Cal, Kyle Wiltjer and Willie Cauley-Stein said that yesterday’s practice was “great,” with Cal going as far to say it was one of their best yet, but the players realize they can’t let up.

Kentucky could be 2011 UConn and Willie could be Kemba

Cal compared his current team to UConn in 2011, who went 9-9 in their league but turned it around to win the National Title. When asked would be this team’s Kemba Walker, Cal suggested Willie Cauley-Stein: “Maybe it’s Willie. Maybe he’ll become the most dominating big man in college basketball. Maybe he makes the difference in every game.”

In his remarks to reporters, Willie Cauley-Stein hesitated to say this team has turned the corner because “we’ve been here before.” When informed of Willie’s comments, Cal put it bluntly: “There are some guys in there that Willie doesn’t trust.” Hmm…stay in Beast Mode, Alex.

You weren’t the only one surprised to see Kyle Wiltjer win the SEC Sixth Man of the Year Award

When asked what he thought about Kyle Wiltjer being named the SEC Sixth Man of the Year, Cal said he was “happy for him,” but quipped “But they didn’t vote last week, I’ll tell you that. Maybe it will inspire him to step up his play again.”

The boys are finishing up their West Coast adventures blogging for The Tennis Channel (check out their awesome work at theoutercourts.com) and will arrive in Nashville tomorrow for the SEC Tournament. In the meantime, Alan Cutler held down the fort and talked to a few callers on the radio show, along with former UK assistant Doug Barnes. Listen online at TalkRadio1080.com.

24 Comments for Mullet Cat at Burke’s Bakery Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

1. Oogie
    4:08 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Interesting comment by Cal about Willie… man, what the heck is going on with this team?

2. Get real
    4:15 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

UConn went 9-9 in the toughest conference in the nation, not this year’s SEC. The Cats can still pull it off, but let’s be objective in the comparisons.

3. Rockfield, KY
    4:17 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

At first I thougth that said “Alan Cutler held down the fart”, yet it still made complete sense to me.

And BTW, he wasn’t a very good host. I’d not like to have him host again. Just one guy’s opinion.

4. Laker Cat 18
    4:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to warn the podcast listeners who haven’t listened to today’s show yet. Just lower your expectations and you’ll be fine.

5. jeremy
    4:28 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Mullet Cat Is The Greatest! By Far The Best Contestant Pictures

6. UKGrad04
    4:31 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

4. I generally hate to post anything negative because I love KSR, especially as a free site. I visited the Outer Courts and really liked Matt and Drew’s work for the Tennis Channel. But you’re right. Today’s radio show was very, very bad. One very droll guy plus one very boring guy equals one very droll, boring radio show. I only caught part of the last hour, but wow, it was awful. I usually listen to the podcast when I work out at night, but I think I’ll just go the Dan Patrick route or pray Bill Simmons has a pod up today.

7. kentuckman
    4:32 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Give me a M..Give me a U.. Give me a L..Give me a L.. Give me a E..Give me a C.. Give me a A.. Give me a T…MULLET CAT! MULLET CAT! MULLET CAT!!!!!!! AWESOME BABY!

8. Mullet Cat
    4:33 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

My cat is not a person. I should not be able to win.

9. try again
    4:36 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

7) Um, you just spelled Mulle Cat. Jus sayin’…

10. TheLaw
    4:36 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

3,4,6 – I agree. That was definitely the worst KSR show I’ve heard…maybe not quite as bad as Cris Cross, but very close.

11. Dude
    4:37 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

That guy was terrible. Just flat out laid an egg. Flat out terrible.

12. TheLaw
    4:37 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

*Chris

13. Laker Cat 18
    4:47 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

6. I was looking forward to Cutler, just had my expectations way too high. The best part of the show was around the hour and a half mark when he started taking calls. Even though he didn’t like being called out on some of the negative calls, they were funny for the audience and made for good entertainment IMO.

14. Cutler
    4:50 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Im surprised that nobody commented on how much they liked me playing all the Roaring 20’s big band movement. Damn I thought even if my awfullness was exposed I could at least make up for it with Big Band Music!

15. CatsfanKSR
    4:59 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Mullet cat and the two guys that changed clothes every time! Best entries by far.

16. Golly
    5:10 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Poor kitty. What’s the deal with his right arm? It looks photo shopped.

17. Deadline?
    5:28 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

When is the deadline for the contest? Last night Matt’s post said the pictures had to be submitted by midnight? Is it too late?

18. Rae
    5:34 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

16. Midnight tonight.

19. RealCatsFan
    5:42 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

He should have dressed the cat in a UK jersey or UK cheerleader outfit for full effect. Still, my hat is off to Mullet Cat!

20. men in blue
    5:54 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

If cal wants this team to come together maybe he should quit throwing “unidentified” players under the bus to the media. WCS has told the media their are time he hasn’t played hard this year, so he is as guilty as anyone. Maybe he should learn to make a damn free throw before he decides who is trustworthy and who isn’t.

21. lexvegas
    6:11 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Cal definitely has his favorites. Goodwin can do whatever, whenever he wants. Mays shows up about 1 outta 3 games. Cal is constantly stroking these guys. Glad to hear hood is busting it in practice.we all know he is not getting any p.t though.

22. bung
    7:08 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I agree 21…its prob cause he wants arch and poy and ryan to do good which is understandable…but for the good of the team I think if hood got as many minutes as the fresh he would have BETTER numbers and the team would have more wins…

23. Anthony
    7:27 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

#19 It’s a cat, with a MULLET, WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!?!?

24. roger starbuck
    6:58 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I just feel badly for that cat. You can see it doesn’t want to be there. Where the animal social workers?