Mudiay and Turner, a package deal?

mudiay-turner

Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones, the best package deal in basketball? Not so fast, Duke fans. There’s a new combo in the works that could challenge the Okafor-Jones duo by season’s end.

According to Jason Jordan of USA Today Sports, one of the best in the business, Emmanuel Mudiay and Myles Turner are considering teaming up at the college level. Mudiay told Jordan he and Turner have had preliminary talks about going to school together.

Mudiay is the second-ranked point guard in the class, believed to be a Kentucky lean; Turner recently made the jump from unranked to top ten high school senior thanks to an outstanding summer. The 6’11” big man doesn’t have an offer from UK but he’s talked with both John Calipari and Orlando Antigua in recent weeks. One would have to assume an offer is coming soon, especially now that he is talking to Mudiay, a fellow Texas product and John Calipari’s top target in the class.

If the two do indeed decide to team up, they are a MUST-GET for Calipari and Kentucky. With Okafor and Jones likely going elsewhere, UK can’t miss out on Mudiay and Turner.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Mudiay and Turner, a package deal?

1. Change the title
    12:11 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Photos from Verlie’s Restaurant in Morgantown? WV? I thought it was Morganfield, KY

2. Oh Lawd
    12:14 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Pretty cool if it works out for UK; but seriously, what’s with this class and package deals? It’s reaching obnoxious levels

3. bmt22033
    12:16 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

What about Towns @ the 5? Does Turner split time with him or does somebody shift over to the 4?

4. mike
    12:18 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

@3 I see no problem putting Towns at the 4. We always have big teams anyway.

5. Good times
    12:18 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

3, everything I’ve seen I think Towns game lends itself well to the 4. He has a good shooting touch and seems to move well for his frame.

6. jpgott2
    12:20 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Towns is more of a tall 4 in my opinion, especially with his shooting ability. I just love that he has been working on his body (bulking up).

7. Elmer
    12:23 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Why not get both pairs?
    Cantor never played and was a lottery pick
    Cal will get you to the next level even if you don’t play

8. Bill
    12:25 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

There is a Morgantown, KY, Butler County.

9. After A Long Period Of Deliberation
    12:25 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

I’m ok with this.

10. Megan
    12:35 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Why do we say Okafor and Jones are likely going elsewhere?

11. Tim Kathlina
    12:37 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Mudiay is better then Jones and should be ranked #1. I would prefer this Mudiay combo. Cal should make it clear to Mudiay, you are my number one prospect.

12. my two cents
    12:37 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Oh Lawd Says:
    what’s with this class and package deals? It’s reaching obnoxious levels

As college sports fans, I think you/we are gonna have to accept that this is how its going to be now, with no changes down the pipe. Unless the AAU system is trashed and the internet ceases to be, the recruits will continue to forge friendships through social media and the ridiculous amount of events that they spent time together at. Its both natural, and what they have see out of the pro athletes they emulate. Same as James/Wade/Bosh saying “wouldn’t it be cool to play together” way back in the summer of ’08 (Olympics).

bmt22033 Says: RESPONSE
    I think Towns wants to be a 4. He likes stepping out and shooting from the perimeter. Seems to have the athleticism to guard the 4 (at least at the college level)

13. Craig
    12:47 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Imagine getting Turner AND Lyles, to go along with Towns and Lee. Another incredibly stacked front line.

14. Mack
    12:54 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Bring Texas into the Commonwealth and we would have some Seaports, we already seem to be going after their best Basketball players!

15. Pair of Aces
    1:06 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

I agree with 11! These two are a better fit and probably wouldn’t be as demanding as Okafor and Jones. Remember, Cal wants players who play as a team. These two seem better suited to UK. Go Future Cats!

16. Wedding Planner
    1:26 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Both these guys would have qualification issues

17. Jordan
    1:35 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

I say if we get Turner we can say bye-bye to Okafor and Cliff Alexander

18. SeaCat
    1:35 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Lyles at 3, Turner at 5, Towns at 4!!!
    Mudiay at 1
    They will play the same position at UK
    as in the NBA.

19. PhilUK18
    1:40 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

16.

Every time I see a post of yours it’s something stupid about 2014 class recruiting. Do you ever get bored of sounding moronic about the same issue?

20. Tom Blevins
    1:53 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

14. Now if we could just get their best football players, too. Seriously, I think getting Mudiay and Turner would be a great package deal for Kentucky. I’d turn backflips. (Not literally. I’m 64 years old now, and can’t do things like that anymore, but in my heart, I would.)

21. andrew
    2:30 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Recruiting at Kentucky – can’t stop, won’t stop! Calipari is the man and best in the business. Tired of these so called ‘forged’ relationships between two guys, but let’s be real. UK just had liked six dudes team up together for a hopeful Championship run in 2014. I’ll take it and another No. 1 recruiting class for 2014. BAM!

22. tyson
    2:44 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

They obviously didn’t read the part of Calipari’s manifesto regarding package deals.

23. Austin
    3:29 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

If the Twins don’t leave, it isn’t the biggest deal if we miss out on Jones or Mudiay. Most Mock drafts don’t have Aaron Harrison as a lottery pick. It is not a stretch to think Andrew might not want to leave his brother alone, and would choose to return for another year. It isn’t quite the same as MKG saying he would stay and then having to leave. MKG was projected as the #2 pick. It is unlikely either twin is a top five pick next year. They would both likely improve their draft stock by staying. Also, we will likely have Dakari and Marcus Lee along with Towns… The Frontcourt will be okay as well. (Wiljter hasn’t officially left either) We may have a mass exodus, but I think losing 3 or 4 guys is a more likely scenario. Randle, Willie, Alex, and maybe James Young might be the only guys that leave.

It just comes down to each kids family situation and how comfortable they are being a late first round pick. If they want to be a lottery pick, you might not see as many leave as you might think.

24. Mark Payne
    3:56 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

I like Mudiay better than Jones, but I’m worried about his eligibility. He is at the same high school that the NCAA ruled 2 football players ineligible. The espn article mentions mudiay and he isn’t in question because of grades or NCAA violations, but the high school itself I don’t think has been approved by the NCAA.

25. Mcswaggin
    4:08 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Dont forget marcus lee and james young may be back for that 2014 class along with Wiltjer if doesnt leave!! We will be stacked again!! maybeb a repeat!!! That would be awesome!!

26. Mcswaggin
    4:08 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

Louisville is gunna hate us bad for the nxt few yrsss lol!!! i love it!!