Morgan Newton on Himself

After today’s game vs. Florida, Kyle Tucker from the Courier Journal caught up with Morgan Newton and asked him about his career as a Wildcat.  Newton, obviously flustered from his performance was quoted as follows.

“I never really got in much of a rhythm, just out of sync. … I just tried to be there for my team and the situation didn’t work out very well. … It’s tough. Over my career, it seems like it’s (always) inopportune. Bad timing. Bad situations. Bad circumstances. You know, post-Randall Cobb, post-Chris Matthews, but pre-(DeMarcus) Sweat, pre-Demarco (Robinson) and all these other guys. It’s just been tough and it makes me look like a much worse player than I really am, but that’s kind of how life goes.”

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

61 Comments for Morgan Newton on Himself

1. WAC
    6:15 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Max smith makes everybody else look better I guess?

2. B-Rabbit
    6:16 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

For Newton, I’m sorry that he didnt have better coaching.

3. Just sayin'
    6:16 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

He’s not much of a quarterback, but he is a good kid. Not his fault that our JOKE of a head coach doesn’t know how to develop players or even coach a football team. Sucks for newton.

4. chris
    6:16 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Morgan not buying it. Being a “bad situation” has nothing to do with the fact that you stared down receivers all day and didnt even give your receivers a chance to make a play on 80% of your throws. You have a good group of receivers and the offensive line gave you pretty good time all day you just cant make easy throws.

5. J
    6:17 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

By far the worst qb in Div 1. Combine that with the worst coach in Div 1. We deserve better.

6. dave
    6:17 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I do feel bad for Newton. I hate to see anyone get ripped as much as he is, but good gosh, that was a horrible game.

7. chris
    6:18 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I knew we were in trouble with Newton after his freshman season in the Spring he was umpiring for my six year old cousins softball league. I don’t know why he was doing it but he got to a game about ten minutes late and he said to me and my uncle, “man the older I get the lazier I get.” Let me remind you he was 19 at the time.

8. I'm Just Sayin
    6:18 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

2. This many times over. Morgan Newton should have gone to another school. I feel really bad for him.

9. The truth
    6:20 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

He hasn’t practiced at qb since camp. Give the guy a break.

10. chris
    6:21 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

#9 I dont really feel the need to give him a break when several high school QB’s could make alot of the throws he missed today

11. chris
    6:23 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

The only thing I dont really understand is that Morgan was 10 times better his freshman year in leading us to road upsets of Georgia and Auburn then he is now.

12. nerlensflattop
    6:25 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

at least he can look at his career for what it is.

13. Big T
    6:26 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Remember when Joker didn’t want to play Cobb at QB because he didn’t want Newton sitting on the bench? Seems kinda dumb now doesnt it? That prob cost us at least two games – maybe three. Joker is an assclown. In over his head. He should be fired by Monday.

14. Big T
    6:27 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

At least South Carolina doesn’t look great…opps!

15. Big T
    6:28 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Another + 20 spread…at home!

16. I'm Just Sayin
    6:28 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

11. Correct observation. He was better as a Freshman. This is coaching folks. The way Newton has been handled is malpractice.

17. Big T
    6:29 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I am hoping for south of 30,000 at Commonwealth next Sat

18. Dave From Da Gap
    6:30 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I won’t hate on the kid because he’s a bad football player, which he is. If he was not prepared to play, and it sure appeared that was a part of the case, he does deserve considerable blame for that. His coach deserves even more. A good head coach of leader of a program plans for the worst and hopes for the best. If the effectivness of the offense comparing today’s game verses the last 3, Max Smith should be in contention for the Hiesman. This team is a train just looking for somewhere to derail

19. Williamsburg
    6:30 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Newton was probably an excellent athlete in the area he was from in Indiana. He just isn’t a good college QB. I’ve seen several 4 star players (even on UK’s roster) that didn’t pan out.

20. Big Blue Daddy
    6:30 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

11… He actually wasnt much better… We could hide it better to be honest. Morgan started the game at Auburn but the play of Will Fiddler and Randall Cobb at QB was the real reason we won that night… Five turnovers by UGA helped in Athens as well… Newton was okay in those games… The real Morgan Newton, when it was all on him, was the bowl game vs Pitt… I knew he was a bust that day!

21. Brandon
    6:32 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Give Newton a break… He’s a kid who’s fallen from the graces of being a 5-star recruit to a struggling college player. He’s never been boastful and never (as far as I know) been in any trouble or been a cancer to the team. His career hasn’t turned out like he had hoped, and kicking him while he’s down is just adding insult to injury. All he owes the fan is effort and a positive attitude, and we have no reason to believe that he hasn’t given it.

22. fake random guy
    6:32 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

what a good kid…I am beginning to think our whole coaching staff is a complete joke

23. Mitch
    6:33 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I saw real progress today. I’m behind joker 199%

We need to give him 5 more yrs to turn this around

I also want to throw my support for m. Newton as this yrs national player of the year

I like to smell my own farts. I mean everyone loves their own brand am I right?!

Kurt Rambos was soooo much better than Jordan in the nba

I still think billy g was the better hire over cal

24. TampaCat
    6:35 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

South Carolina 43
    Ky – 9

25. Mike
    6:35 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Sorry but very difficult to feel sorry for Morgan. What has he done to stay sharp and be ready to go in with an injury ahead of him. Also, what have Choker and Sanders done to keep him sharp on the sideline. Morgan has gotten worse each and every year and he has to take accountability for that. He is and was a TOTAL DISASTER today.

26. FedUp
    6:36 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Is Newton showing that leadership that we have heard about? He blames everybody but himself, he is a senior. Maxwell Smith is a true So. and he is already better then Newton will ever be. I listened to the game on the radio and they talked about how bad his throws are. He nevers throws the ball where a receiver can catch it and keep running. It is too high, or too low. People blamed Sanders for the offense sucking, but when he has Maxwell Smith running the offense it looks pretty good. Maybe it is you Morgan.

27. Doug
    6:37 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Relly? Absolutely atrocious… Bball can’t start soon enough

28. I'm Just Sayin
    6:37 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I think people forget Randy Sanders was run out of Tennessee. Our coaching staff blows.

29. dennis
    6:42 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Total incompetence, coaching of the joke , play of the QB. The defense showed up today and got punked by poor coaching on the offensive side. No reason to keep this coach another game period.

30. Raazoul
    6:45 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

-49% QB rating during this game. What else can one say.

31. James K
    6:48 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I feel bad for Morgan, but at the same time, talent shines through circumstances in most instances. I wish his career had been better, but, life goes on. Luckily football isn’t life and death, MOST of the time.

32. MissKentucky
    6:49 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

No Morgan, you REALLY ARE that bad!!

33. yep
    6:51 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Well this isn’t high football anymore, no more running for 80 yards a game unless you play for a top SEC team that can block for you. Newton does what he is taught to do at UK, every yer its basically throw the names in a hat and see who starts. UK has some players they just aren’t used right. No excuses for throwing interceptions, but I don’t blame the kid for everything.

34. Cody
    6:52 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I feel bad for him but he genuinely is awful. Maybe put him at slot or something, the kid can move but a quarterback? No.

35. Cody
    6:53 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

& it doesn’t help that he is coached by the worst head coach in all of college football.

36. Fake Nate
    6:53 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Even the kicking game was off today. Had anyone checked on Chester today?

37. Holler Baller
    6:55 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I feel bad for the kid, he plays hard and seems like a good guy.

38. Bsb Coach
    6:57 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

#17 Let me get this right. Because young men who chose to represent our university have not played as well as you hoped. And our coaching staff has not performed as well as you want. You believe we should turn our backs on all of them. I say this to all who are true fans; stay true, support the program and wish them the best. If at the end of the season a change needs to be made, so be it. If you can’t do this, you are not really the kind of fan(s) we need.

39. Carlos Santitas
    6:57 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

In the infamous words of the fellow fan leaving the music city bowl.. ‘john wall.’ Made everyone feel better then..may work now

40. Catlogic15
    7:00 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

After what I witnessed today, I can’t believe what I just read. Stevie Johnson couldn’t catch what he threw today.

41. Kitchen Sink
    7:10 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Morgan is not a good QB at all. Slow, stares down recievers and cannot hit his man at all. He is at best a blocking TE.

42. Typical Hartline
    7:11 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Are you serious? Blame the WRs that you had to throw to? How about throw the ball to someone and not 5 ft over their head or better yet throw it to a number instead of the dirt 5 ft in front of them. Cobb and Matthews didn’t jump to the clouds or plow through the earth to catch balls. Newton may have been a four or five star kid from Indiana but I am convinced that is about as good as a 1.5 star in Florida or Alabama. I can’t stand up for Joker anymore because he thought Morgan was in the running to be the starter before the season and he shouldn’t even be holding Max’s clipboard.

43. Big Blue Coming At You
    7:15 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

#40 is right. I can’t believe what i just read. That’s the most selfish thing i think he’s ever said. I know what i saw today and i saw one of the worst QB’s to ever suit up for UK. He’s the reason he threw pick after pick. He over-threw so many passes and at least one would have been a sure TD. He’s the reason UK lost today and he can’t man up and admit it. He’s a bum that should never see another snap!

44. DaveMustainesHair
    7:21 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Yeah Morgan….its the wide recievers.

45. DaveMustainesHair
    7:23 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe what I just read. wow.

46. blah blah blah
    7:37 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

hey 38 – shove your self-righteous attitude up your ass. if you can’t see the fact that the coaches stink at this point and a serious house cleaning is needed for the football program, go back to keeping your head in the sand. saying things are bad does not make me a bad fan.

47. tylerelrubio
    7:39 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

would have made a great backup qb…

48. Steve Canfield
    7:47 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

What a lack of leadership. How about taking responsibilities for playing poorly rather than saying what he did? Very disappointing for a senior. There’s a lot me in Morgan Newton and very little team. If Max can’t play, let’s go with our freshmen. We do not need a Quarterback who can’t lead by example.

49. Max Smith
    8:10 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Shew….glad you werent this hard on me when I threw 4 INT against lowly Western KY

50. tdogg40330
    8:16 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

49) you also had over 300 yards passing and some TD passes to your team.

51. J A Brooks
    8:16 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

How can anyone say Joker Phillips is not the worst coach in America?

If you can honestly watch Newton play in comparison to Whitlow and Smith and say that he is even remotely as talented as either than you have no business coaching D-1 football.

The dude just doesn’t have “it”. I’m talking about Joker and Newton.

Newton cannot complete a 5 yard pass and never has been able to. Name one more college QB that can’t throw an accurate pass 5 yards away from him… there’s none. He has no feel for the game, he has no accuracy. He’s a big kid with a big arm and that may have worked in Carmel Indiana but not in the SEC. The absolute failure on the coaching staff’s part to recognize this is SHOCKING. I am telling you the level of incompetency surrounding this staff is as bad as I have ever seen in college football or any staff for that matter.

52. J A Brooks
    8:20 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

48) Exactly. Phillips is the kind of coach that will play a senior who brings nothing to the table over a kid who can make a difference and his reasoning would be “well the freshman is having trouble on some of his off-ball assignments”

I’m sorry, but that is the kind of stuff that matters when a position battle is close and you need to make a tough decision. Joker sits freshman and plays upper classman who are no where near as talented as their freshman or sophmore counterparts.

Morgan Newton should be the 4th string QB at best. The kid is that bad. When he does get in and play as bad as we all remember from last year… what does he do? He blames fate for putting him in a bad spot… are you f’ing kidding me?

53. JC
    8:36 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care if he had Randy Moss and Jerry Rice as his receivers….they couldn’t catch his throws. I don’t blame him for playing terrible….I blame the coaches for putting him in. But, don’t act like bad luck is the reason you are not a good QB.

54. crackerhillbilly
    8:50 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

It is not fair to heap the blame on a very young man. He IS NOT a D1 QB. But he did the best he could when asked by his coach. The blame lies squarely on Joker WHO MUST GO.

55. kingrex
    9:39 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

Is that his actual quote?! Seriously? Did he just throw his receivers under the bus from the last 4 years? I know he must be hurting, but does he hear himself? surely he will look back and see he should not have said this.

56. Mrs. Jenny
    10:17 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how the adults with children who comment on this blog would feel if this was your child being ripped apart on here. He is a young man who was put in a bad spot today, maybe he’s not qb material, I don’t know. Today was on the coaches though who left him on the field unprepared and pretty much threw him to the wolves. People say he did better his freshman yr., perhaps that was before all the so-called know it alls started criticizing his every move and destroying any confidence he may have had. I applaud him for sticking it out and putting up with so-called fans like you. Anybody over the age of 10 who is on here bad-mouthing a kid should be ashamed. I’m sure no one wanted Morgan Newton to play well today more than Morgan Newton.

57. Bsb Coach
    12:14 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey 46/blah blah blah. Get your head out of “my” ass. I said despite poor playing/coaching good fans should not abandon the team and quit showing up. But let me guess, you’re about 19 yrs old don’t have any perspective on what it means to be a real fan.

58. BigBlueFever
    3:09 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Yeah all Joker needs is “more time to turn around the program”

59. GATORCHOMP
    10:14 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

THAT was an SEC QB??????
    ROTFFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!

60. Earache
    11:25 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hmm

61. stubeycat
    2:01 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

#38 I agree with you 100% we should not turn our backs on the players. They have to be discouraged enough. I will continue watching and praying for a miracle and hopefully the necessary changes will be made and this program will rise up and stop being the algae eaters of the SEC.