More from Jeff Sheppard

sheppard

Jeff Sheppard’s criticism of the one-and-done focus at Kentucky has spread through the state like wildfire this afternoon. If you missed it earlier, the former Cat spoke at a UK fan convention in Ohio this past weekend and during his speech, said he wasn’t happy with the culture the one-and-done rule has created at Kentucky, and that he didn’t feel as close to Coach Cal as he does Rick Pitino. Kyle Tucker caught up with Sheppard this afternoon to see if he wanted to clarify anything. Here are a few of his comments:

On the response the video has received today:

“I hope that the video depicted my intent. I’m all for Coach Calipari and everything. I just — I like, and I think the Kentucky fan in general likes players staying at Kentucky for longer than six or seven months. That’s all. I understand. Heck, if I was good enough to play for six or seven months at Kentucky and get a multi-million dollar contact, I’d have left to. I understand that. But I was talking to a group of traditional Kentucky fans and we would love to get to know Nerlens Noel and see him come back from his knee injury and play again for the Cats. Hopefully everything is taken in context. Obviously Kentucky’s doing great right now. We expect great things year. But, boy, I just wish the whole system was different for all of college basketball. I don’t think I’m in the minority in that.”

On jokingly referring to Cal as “the enemy” because he was the coach at UMass during his playing days:

“Well, he’s not the enemy. Hopefully the whole clip is played (it was) and not just ‘Calipari is the enemy.’ I was just talking about how it’s different. That was a question from the audience about how things are now at UK. Obviously Coach Cal has done a great job, but there’s just something different about playing for a coach. If Marcus Camby walks into Coach Calipari’s office vs. Ron Mercer walking into Coach Calipari’s office, there’s just a different relationship. Marcus Camby played for Coach Calipari. It’s just a different feeling a different dynamic, and that’s OK. That’s part of it.”

On the one-and-done culture in college basketball:

“Coach Cal keeps getting guys drafted and it means a lot to the players; I think it means less to the fans. The fans would love to see the boys stay around for a while and build on winning seasons instead of always having to start over from scratch. But there’s nothing I can say or do that’s going to change that. It’s just my opinion on it. Coach Cal and his staff have done a great job of figuring out the system and trying to maximize it.”

Go check out Kyle’s blog to see the rest of Sheppard’s comments:

[Sheppard wishes UK had fewer one-and-dones]

113 Comments for More from Jeff Sheppard

1. damage control
    3:36 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Too late there Jeff. Stop inserting your foot in your mouth and how about you criticize the NCAA or the NBA who allows the one and done rule?

2. J in Orlando
    3:38 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

So, he says players should stay longer…expect him, he wouldve left…thanks for clearing that up, Jeff! lol some people just shouldnt have a mic placed in front of them.

3. She's A Caaawp!
    3:39 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who thinks any Kentucky fan doesn’t wish MKG, Noel, Davis etc. were still playing in Blue and White is ignorant…I’m not overall happy with what Jeff had to say, especially when it comes to Slick Rick, but I can’t say I disagree with some of what he says and you can’t blame him for still being loyal to Rick, that was his coach…

4. shorthop69
    3:43 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Idiot.

5. UKats
    3:43 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I guess i’m a minority of one,but I agree with Jeff.I would have liked to have seen all of these outstanding players Cal has brought in stay at least a couple of years.But I can understand the players leaving for the NBA.Most of us work a lifetime and don’t earn as much as some of these guys made their first year in the league

6. Jake from State Farm
    3:45 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Jeff, still love you man, but you’re losing us here.

7. Basteballer
    3:46 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

“Heck, if I was good enough to play for six or seven months at Kentucky and get a multi-million dollar contact, I’d have left to.” (sic)

The rule sucks but you wish you were good enough to have taken advantage of it? Nice.

I think the average UK fan understands that the very reason we get the kind of players we get under Coach Cal is BECAUSE of his success with the “one and done” rule. And it IS unprecedented. So… suck it. There’s not a coach out there who wouldn’t trade places with Cal in a New York minute. And he’s ours!

Get in line for #9!

8. Backtracking too late
    3:46 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Go give Pitino a kiss and move to da ‘Ville

9. Dr. Tom
    3:47 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Don’t we all wish we still had the local hardware store around the corner and the family owned drug store that still delivered prescriptions, etc.,etc!! But current times are different including big time college basketball. In order for programs now to be consistently good, a large percentage of the players will be either one-and-done or for the most part not stay until their eligibility has expired. I know what Jeff is saying and do agree with him that I wish the system wasn’t the way it is but facts are facts, in order to now win championships the core of teams will be made up of NBA prospects that will not be on campus for long.

10. Blasphemy
    3:47 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Maybe he thinks it doesn’t mean much to the “general fan” to have that many first round picks…… but it does to me. I believe, as I should, UK should be better than all other schools at EVERYTHING RELATED TO MEN’S BASKETBALL. The NBA happenings of our players is no exception. Of course I want them to come back, but I don’t mind getting mega super star after mega superstar each year. I know others want them to stay around longer, that’s fine, and I somewhat empathize with your situation. Please don’t project your feelings onto everybody else as the “general fan’s thoughts” though.

11. Jeff Garlin
    3:48 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

An example of when keeping it real goes wrong.

12. versailles cat
    3:48 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Can we not eat one of our own here? Jeff Sheppard gave all he had to UK – he was at UK longer than Cal has been so far. And he’s not even criticizing the program – he’s criticizing the state of college basketball. Who expects him to say that he is closer to Cal than Pitino? He played for Pitino for 5 years!

13. Loyalties
    3:48 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

We know where his loyalties lie, especially when he’s helping UL players with appearances. Should we now recruit Top 50-150 players, have them stay around for 4 years, and maybe win a championship every quarter century?

14. UKats 2.0
    3:49 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

@5 – I think Cal agrees with Jeff S and yourself in that it would have been nice to have Wall, Cousins, Knight, etc for two years. Hope you realize, though, if we had Wall for two years, we probably wouldn’t have seen Knight wearing the Blue.

15. J in Orlando
    3:50 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

5 Thats not what he was saying the first time…he was criticizing Cal for going after the best players because they might leave after one year (unless they go to Pitino, in which case they will stay multiple years and make much less). He was slinging the typical whining of those that can’t compete with Cal’s energy, insinuating that the rule is Calipari’s (which is stupid-regardless of how many years they stay, Cal will go after and get the best players). He was making it clear he is a Pitino guy much more than a UK guy.

16. Musehobo
    3:50 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

What Jeff lacks is perspective. Sure it would be nice if these guys all hung around 4 years. Sure it would be nice if we won more championships then sent players to the NBA.

But we don’t live in that world. Cal took us from the Gillispie days back to the powerhouse we should be, by doing what he can with the system. His comments come across like “Yeah Cal’s doin’ ok and everything, but Pitino…Pitino did it the RIGHT way”. It’s an old school mentality. And Shep clearly doesn’t understand what he’s started.

17. BlueFins
    3:51 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Let’s remember that all these one and done that we love and embrace would not have been here at all had the NBA “One and Done” rule not been in place.

18. Marty
    3:54 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Times have changed since Jeff has played for the Cats. He must change like the rest of us have. I appreciate and love the way Coach Cal recruits and coaches the new talent. He brings them along and gets them ready as a team by the end of the year. Jeff if you do not like it, I suggest you go up to where little brother and pitino resides. Lol

19. jpgott2
    3:56 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I think most people agree with Jeff when he says he wishes players would stay around. Most of BBN would love to have these players for 3-4 years! The problem is that because Jeff did not play for Cal, he says he would feel more comfortable when visiting Pitino at UL. There is nothing Cal can do about that, and the manner in which Jeff conveyed his point made it seem like there is something wrong with Cal’s method.

The truth is, even if a player stays for 3-4 years, that does not mean they get a degree. Heck, UL has a service that assist former athletes with financial aid to finish their degrees (Dewan Wheat). Many of UK’s players are coming back to work on their degrees.

20. jpgott2
    3:56 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

It is also funny that Jeff stated that he to would leave early if the opportunity was there.

21. yearsendingin9
    3:58 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Maybe he should stop while he is ahead. Marcus Camby said the other day that he cringes to think of Cal at Kentucky, and I can understand both his and Jeff Sheppard’s position on the rivalry thing, but he should have been more careful to not lambast Cal in public. Cal has been a godsend to this program and none of us should forget that. If and when the NCAA and NBA get their act together and fix the one and dum rule, what will people criticize Cal for? Too many two-year players?

22. jeffbacker
    4:02 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Be careful if you say anything on here pro Pitno or negative about Cal. It wont be posted. Just warning you folks

23. JLP
    4:03 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Jeff – I wish the players would stay longer. We barely get to know them. My favorite player in Cal era was Boogie & he was here & then gone.

On the other hand, with all the media attention, blogs, twitter, etc we probably know more about them in a year than we knew about a 3-4 year player in the 1960s and 1970s when all you had was newspaper blurbs and sports magazines/tv news.

But it is a different world today & I think it is one thing to say we would prefer the players to stay longer and separate that from the reality of the way you need to recruit to have the best chance at championships. As long as this isn’t a true swipe at Cal, but just a nostalgia wishing, I am OK with it. At least the way it is presented in this follow-up. P.S. It’s stupid to think he shouldn’t be closer to a former coach rather than one he never played for. That isn’t a slap at Cal as far as I can see.

24. Andy
    4:04 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

So he doesnt want guys like Randle, Davis going pro even if they have fantastic seasons? Way to hold em back . Dont hate the players, hate the system stupid!!

25. Blueheel
    4:08 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

14) Cal agrees with anything that benefits Cal at the time or gets him what he wants. He is the best salesman in America hands down.The big BBN is the easiest sold in America hands down.

26. Austin
    4:10 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I wish it was a two and done rule. It would be better for the NCAA and NBA and the fans. It would create some risk for players. I want to see good basketball, and I think it is better for most kids development as people to have two years in school.

27. AdamWilson
    4:10 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

TOOOOOO Late JEFF. don’t sh!t where u eat dummy

28. BigBoyBlue
    4:11 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

If players are one and done it generally means Coach Cal has been successful in several aspects: recruiting (obviously), players reaching their NBA dreams, and more often than not a championship caliber team.
    If the rules were different Cal would adapt and conquer then as well. I always liked Shep but Pitino has got to be in his ear. Shepperd is probably trying to work an angle to get on Rick’s staff.

29. ShepperdPie
    4:11 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

What is up with a player’s allegiance to the coach being greater than the university??? That’s what is wrong with college athletics!!!

30. Blueheel
    4:12 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Cal has turned UK in to a minor league basketball program. I as a UK fan don’t put near the stock in the success of the program since he has been here. I am a UK alumn and this one and done doesn’t get it with me legal or not. Prostitution is legal in Nevada but it is not right.

31. Blueheel
    4:17 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Another note. Don’t come back at me and say he is getting the best players. He is getting the best players that figure to be pro players down the road. He is recruiting upside. Also don’t start talking about recruiting services and what they rank. There is not a guy associated with one recruiting service that has ever done anything on the court. They are fans and are impressed with athleticism and dunks. I herd one say at a game that the guy didn’t know how to set a pick. I said hell man there is only one way to set a pick, its the guy that doesn’t know how to come off it. He looked at me with a lost look and said oh that’s what I meant.

32. 44 Stitches
    4:17 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Sheppard’s still one of all time favorite CATS!!!!

33. Coach Cal
    4:19 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Crawl back into the hole you came out of.

34. He is
    4:21 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

24 that’s what he is saying stupid. I don’t see anything he said as hating the players. He IS knocking the system.

35. It'sTubbyTime
    4:24 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

We don’t like what he’s saying, especially about Cal vs. Rick, but that’s just the way it is. I played college ball for a coach who isn’t necessarily embraced any more by the program or institution. The new guy is doing great and everyone loves him and I’ll admit, he’s a more pleasant person…but I still have that connection with MY COACH. He recruited me, signed me, coached me, played me. Nothing against the new guy, we just don’t have that connection.

36. ukfan
    4:26 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

k, he’s starting to get on my nerves now..

37. Why?
    4:27 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Why is it when Cal rants how screwed up the one and done system is and how HE doesn’t like it and thinks it should be changed, then you hillbillies lap it up. But God forbid a former player say ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING, and then you throw him under the bus. Can some of you fools understand ANYTHING within context, much less even read?

38. shamsky
    4:27 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, he probably even likes to eat red cake too. Maybe he even drives red cars. Traitor!

Take it easy people. I agree with him in that I wish the players were around longer. But it isn’t smart to even mention those *gulp* champions. I can’t stand him (now), but Ricky P did give us some majorly exciting years. And you are always more loyal to a human relationship than a collective entity. Old Shep played his a^% off out there, so I can respect his opinion. Can’t a dude just say what’s on his mind anymore? All the twitter reactionaries need to chill. WE NEED THE SEASON TO START!!

39. SeaCat
    4:27 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

28) is correct.
    Shep must be looking for a job with Pitino.
    But from what he said to the UK alum and today, i am
    not sure he is smart enough to coach.

40. J in Orlando
    4:27 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

30 Every single college coach disagrees with you…nearly every single one of them recruit these players and would take them. Some coaches are better at developing talent faster…this is what Cal does better than anyone. With coaches like, say Pitino, players that would be NBA prospects after one year under another coach end up staying longer…and it is simply by virtue of playing college bball longer that they become better at it.

41. Marty
    4:27 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Blue heel you obviously can’t and won’t change with the times. Coach Cal is an outstanding coach and recruiter. I would have him lead our team than anyone else. Coach Cal has brought relevance and excitement back to our program. You need to either get on board or get off.

42. CatsFanFrankfort
    4:28 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

It kills me to chastise my own fellow members of the BBN, but this is getting ridiculous. All Sheppard has said is that he doesnt like the one-and-done rule because he’d rather see many of our star players stay longer.

#13, your argument is one that drives me crazy when anyone uses it against Cal. Obviously Sheppard isnt saying we need to recruit lower-ranked players. No one who criticizes the rule thinks that this is what Cal should do. He is just commenting on the fact that the best players leave early, and since we get a lot of those, it happens more often at Kentucky. Not once does he say Cal is doing it wrong or incorrectly. He is mainly just saying the EXACT SAME THING Cal says about the rule: it isnt ideal, but it is what it is. He is beamoaning the state of the system, not the fact that Cal has many one-and-dones. He is attempting to set the record straight with the follow-up interview as well.

And for those of you saying he is being contradictory, yes, that is true. He said he would leave also, if offered the chance for millions of dollars. That doesnt mean he likes the way it works. He isnt chastising the players for leaving. He understands that the entire system is out of the players and coaches hands. If you think he doesnt understand, then you are fooling yourself. He isnt an idiot; hes been around the game far too long to not ‘get it’. He just doesnt like the way it is.

And he didnt say that he lost his allegiance to UK. Just that he has a closer relationship with Pitino than Cal. He just feels more comfortable around the man in general than he does Calipari BECAUSE HE PLAYED FOR HIM. Him bringing up Mercer and Camby is a good example of this. Pay attention to the whole article before you just form a mob mentality and lash out at the guy.
    Geez, get of off this already.

43. J in Orlando
    4:28 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

39 Shep already has a job affiliated with UL athletics…hence the Pitino-fed comments…

44. Mike
    4:28 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong. But I don’t believe the one and done rule was in place when Shepherd played! And I think I’m right in saying that Calipari didn’t put the rulr into place! And also Cal has said many many many times He is not in favor of the rule either! But since it is what it is He will use it! And if Shepherd would look a little closer, there are more and more Coaches recruiting one and dones!!!!

45. Why?
    4:30 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

42 careful, you are way too logical for these idiots.

46. J in Orlando
    4:33 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

42 That is not all what his initial comments were saying/insinuating…that is just the backtracking explanation he tried to provide after he realized people actually pay attention to what he said…the fact that one of the dumbest UL trolls/fans (redundant, I know) that posts here all day every day agrees with you should tell you something.

47. Why?
    4:35 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Lol, case in point ^ #46

48. Off TheWall11
    4:36 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything Shep said. When he says if he had been good enough to leave early and make millions he’d have done it, he’s looking at it from the players perspective. When he says as a fan he wishes they’d stay around longer than a year, he’s looking at it from the fan’s perspective. There’s nothing contradictory or hypocritical in those two statements. He’s simply looking at it from different perspectives. When he says he’d feel more comfortable walking into Pitino’s office than Cal’s he’s just saying he feels more comfortable around Pitino (the individual, NOT the hated UofL coach), than Cal. And for obvious reasons. He knows him better. He isn’t saying he loves UofL or anything like that. The fact that some people are bashing him for anything he said and are too ignorant to understand his comments is astounding to me.

49. SeaCat
    4:37 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Now that Wiltjer left,
    can we talk about Exum?
    What are our chances of getting him?

50. Bilbo
    4:39 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky fans are idiots. You guys argue and get sand in gines for no reason

51. Why?
    4:40 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

48 apparently some are too stupid to understand that Shep is criticizing the RULE, not Cal. As for hismPitino comment….any of you have divorced parents? Is it beyond your comprehension to believe I am more comfortable with my dad then my stepdad? Lol geez you people are astounding .

52. J in Orlando
    4:40 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

44 there is no such thing as a “one and done player” until after the player has completed the year…Every decent coach recruits the best players…sometimes those players are good enough to make $ in the NBA after one year. Last year everyone labelled Poythress as a one and done player out of high school…he wasnt ready after one year. Cal recruits the best plyaers like every other coach out there…he is better at signing these players, so instead of working harder it is just easier for other coaches to criticize Cal and the system. This is jealousy and job-saving excuses from other staffs, nothing more…every single coach would fill their roster top ten players if they could without exception.

53. Shepperd is the reason for #7
    4:43 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Kids who are in the top 15 about have to go pro now. If they stay longer their game is picked apart and for the most part they drop in the draft( look Cody Zeller). I agree with everything Sheppard said, he wasn’t trashing Cal but the system as a whole.
    Cal has used the current system to our advantage, I would loved to had Davis and MKG for three years but, given the current system they made the correct choice. The only thing now is with the one year rule most have forgot what it was like before the rule change. How many can remember having to wait untill after the NBA deadline to see who actually made it to campus?
    The current rule needs changed to more like the baseball rule untill then Cal will do what he needs to for UK to be better then everyone else. It may not suit the purest but it is what it is!

54. Duuuuuude
    4:46 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Hmmm…. so much for an honest opinion. Respecting anybody who disagrees with me is a completely unreal expectation.

55. Greg
    4:50 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure that Cal agrees with Shep that he would prefer the players to stick around longer and I’m pretty sure that Cal has stated that pretty clearly. That being said, Shep acknowledges the fact that Cal and staff are doing their very best to make the best of a crap situation.

56. Must be a Slow day
    4:51 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Why is this news? Cal agrees with Jeff Sheppard. He doesn’t like the one and done system either. Cal also would like to see players stay in the program longer. He just wants to recruit the best of the best. I don’t think CAL wants UK to recruit lesser talent either.

57. CatsFanFrankfort
    4:51 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#46.Exactly which part of what I said in my comment was wrong in what Sheppard was insinuating in his original comments?

58. Supermans Cape
    4:53 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Should have known better. What amazes me is that people are still talking about this crap. Coach Cal has a job. Get the best basketball players that he can get, develope those players and mold them into a team. The first and most important part of his job is to get the best players that will give us the best chance to win. Every coach in America is trying to get these same players. Its not like all the other coaches are running from these players because they think they will be one and done. They are trying as hard as they can to talk them into coming to their school. A lot of these one and dones were not projected one and done before they came to UK. Cousins wasn’t a for sure one and done player when he was being recruited. Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague and Archie Goodwin are three players that would not have been one and done players at any other school. Also, as for Cal touting the draft picks, why do you think almost all of the good players want to come to UK? Because of the great academics? Just because we are UK? Then why didn’t they beat our doors down when Tubby or BCG was here? They are all coming because Cal is making them millionaires in one or two years time. Come to UK, no matter how bad you play,Archie Goodwin,no matter if you don’t even play, Daniel Orton, you will still be a millionaire in one or two years. Why wouldn’t he flaunt that reputation? Why wouldn’t a player want to come play for a coach that is getting about 95% of his recruits drafted? Come on now, think about some of this before you tog on my cape.

59. CatsFanFrankfort
    4:53 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#48. I concur entirely. I still havent figured out why so many people are getting so worked and up in arms about any of this.

60. RealCatsFan
    4:54 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I guess Shep would be more comfortable hanging with Tubby than either Rick or cal, since he won a championship with Tubby.

I tend to agree with him about the one-and-done rule, but you can’t fault Cal for trying to get the best players that he can get. I think you are also starting to see some subtle adjustments to Cal’s recruiting philosophy in an effort to get somme supporting players who will hang around and develop for 3 or 4 years. One thing I do like about Cal is that he will adjust to the changing times.

61. Supermans Cape
    4:56 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I forgot Eric Bledsoe. He wasn’t even in the conversation about one and done when he came to UK.

62. Getaclue
    4:56 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I know 3 kids off hand for sure that didn’t commit to ky in football out of the state because of the fans on this site. Their parents read post on here and said they were asking for trouble with this fan base. I cant say as I blame them one bit. But of course it doesn’t matter who they are we didn’t want them anyway.

63. Shepperd is the reason for #7
    4:56 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

The one and done rule is still better then the old rule of going pro after high school! I agree the rule needs changed but how can you tell a kid not to go and be a millionaire as long as the NBA is going to pay them. Untill they come up with a way to guarantee these kids the money after 3 or 4 years a kid would be stupid to comeback. It’s just not logical for a kid to return to school risk injury or dropping in the draft when the schools make all the money.
    Only way I see to fix it is for the NBA to draft a kid and allow him to stay in school and defer the money untill after they are done playing NCAA. They do this for international players I’m sure a way could be work out for domestic players. Looks like the NBA would rather have a kid playing NCAA instead of the D- league for a couple years! I think that would improve the NBA and NCAA both but it’s not going to happen!

64. Linda Taylor
    4:57 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Here is a copy of tweets from Mike DeCourcy. For those of you who think people aren’t going to take Shep’s comments as a criticism of Cal.

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 13m
    Former Kentucky great criticizes John Calipari’s one-and-done style http://dlvr.it/3hWQZD

Details

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 21m
    Do Kentucky fans really want to return to Tubby Smith days? Isn’t that what Jeff Sheppard is saying?

Details

65. Emory Worldwide
    5:00 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

You’ve totally redeemed your self, Jeff!

66. DH
    5:00 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

42) I totally agree with you. Unfortunately it’s falling on a lot of deaf ears. People either don’t read, or don’t comprehend what they’re reading

67. Shepperd is the reason for #7
    5:03 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

62) I’m calling BS on you! I dought if you know 3 kids for out of state who UK recruited. Further more EVERY school tells the kids and their parents not to read fan sites. Every school! Your right if a kid turns UK down over a fan site we didn’t want them because they wouldnt be able to handle the pressure of D-1 football. Hell even Peyton Manning gets killed on fan sites after games. KSR is no more harsh then any other schools fan sites.

68. Agreed
    5:07 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

50) You hit the nail(Idiots) on the head!

69. realme
    5:08 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I totally respect Jeff’s right to his opinion, whether he is criticizing Cal or the system. He’s a former player, and can think what he wants. What he can’t do however, is speak for the fan base. Many of us like winning championships, and being relevant in the current day.

70. ikeeveready
    5:09 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Why are my comments awaiting moderation?

71. Shepperd is the reason for #7
    5:11 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Pitino done right bye Shepperd. He could have pulled his redshirt in 97 and had a good shot at a NC, but he stayed true to his word of setting him out a year to improve his draft stock. So it should be no surprise that Sheppard and slick Rick have a close bond.
    Sheppard gave Tubby a a championship do it is only logical that those 2 would have a closer. Bond then he has with Cal. WE are FANs so it’s fair to hate Pitino for being a trader but the players have a totally different out look and that’s fair!
    I would have a problem if Shepp said he liked Coach K better or even if he had said he had a closer bond with BCG.

72. Getaclue
    5:12 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

67) You can call whatever you want on me. One is at Tn, the other 2 at Fl. You can bet Joker didn’t tell them tell them not to read KSR.

73. Wazoo Sports
    5:13 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Jeff, you gave me life.

74. Linda Taylor
    5:15 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

73 – And the worst picture quality ever seen on a television.

75. ilbbnahl
    5:16 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

makes money off uk a nd then diss them typical ricky clone don t need to see at rupp, go to the bum center cloney

76. roger
    5:18 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Anyone that has a problem with what Jeff said either 1. Didn’t read the comments on everything he said, or 2. Is a complete idiot. He praised what Cal has done. He said he understood why it is done that way. He admitted that he does not like the rule,but that he would have taken advantage of it had he been good enough to go pro after one year. Heck, I wish they would change the rule. As an eighteen or nineteen year old, I would have chosen millions after 6 or 7 months VS returning to the classroom. Just because you don’t like something does not mean you wouldn’t take advantage of it, if it were in your best interest to do so. Coach Cal has said that he doesn’t like the one and done rule. Yet, he recruits players every year that will leave after one year. Why? because it benefits him as a coach to get the best players. If you have a problem for Shepherd saying it, you should have a problem with Cal for doing it. As far as feeling more welcome at Louisville. Pitino was his coach, so I understand that. I don’t like it, but I understand. Coach Cal has done everything he can to make former players welcome at practices and so forth. If they don’t feel as close to him as the coach they played for, then that is not Cal’s problem. I think most of you didn’t even listen to the video. Even if you did, it was just a small part of what he said. He actually spoke for about 30 minutes that day.

77. Joe B. Hall
    5:19 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

The next thing you know, I’ll be on the radio with Denny Crum.

78. Betamax
    5:26 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

If I had been the standard recording medium, back in the day, Wazoo sports would still be around, #74.

79. WGY944
    5:28 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Go bitch to the NBA about it…..idiot. Oh, I’ve already forgot, Jeff who?

80. WGY944
    5:29 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Oh yeah, now go get a job……

81. Random
    5:31 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

We don’t win #7 without him, and I attended countless basketball camps of his as a kid, so I could never dislike him, but he should know how quick most UK fans are to rip people to shreds, so he really should choose his words more carefully from now on.

82. Linda Taylor
    5:31 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

78 – And there exists no technology to improve the quality of old recordings before re-airing them? That channel was unwatchable.

83. CatsFanFrankfort
    5:37 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#76. Agree completely. This is what I’ve been saying all afternoon to these people who are so quick to jump all over 2-time National Champion and Final Four MOP. I really think lots of people didnt even watch the video and just read the comments chosen from it on this website. I especially dont get the comments hating on Shep for setting up autograph sessions for players around the state. I never heard any sort of outcry over that before those comments were released today.

84. And?
    5:39 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#81 and the problem is him or idiots that are quick to rip people to shreds because they have no ability to comprehend English?

85. Wazoo Sports
    5:40 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

We got all of are equipment from those fellows who gave you the delayed broadcasts of UK games.

86. mrhtuoln
    5:41 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

76 sounds a little red lover to me , just like ULJEFF ,I GOT NOTHING FOR HIM NOW, GO MAKE YOUR LIVING IN LOIUSVILLE ULJEFF

87. OffTheWall11
    5:42 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

76. I missed the part where he dissed UK. He was criticizing the SYSTEM and saying things that practically every other UK fan says. Oh and 79, that would be Jeff Sheppard the two-time national champion, MOP of the 1998 NCAA tourney, one of the most beloved players in UK history, and, most importantly, by all accounts a class human being. I couldn’t care less if you’re being sarcastic or not. Show some respect. Good grief. Some of you people need to get a grip.

88. UKBlue
    5:42 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Loyalty is a two way street, and Shep can’t stop digging a hole. Someone needs to buy this guy a muzzle & a PR rep. I now see why Shep is a horrible business man !!

89. Jeff
    5:42 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Jeff Shepherd totally. I hate seeing these kids stay at UK for 9 months. I want kids to come to UK because it is Kentucky. I could care a less about pro ball. I never follow the guys once they go pro.
    I have been a UK fan since the 70s and will be until I pass, but despise the one and done. That said, Cal or UK did not create the one and done and I hope it goes away. As for the fans giving crap to Shepperd for speaking the truth, grow up. Most of us wish these kids would stay longer than 9 months…..

90. DH
    5:44 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

84) I was thinking the same thing. I don’t see what he said that was so bad. It’s not his fault half of our fan base apparently can’t comprehend English

91. Piteeful!
    5:45 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I knew Sheppard was not smart,..but had no clue he was this dumb. He just lost a fan,…a lot of fans. Maybe he can start rooting for Little Brother now, if he loves Rapid Rick so much. I suspect he gets some boos next time he is in Rupp. And he will deserve them all,..and more. Jmo.

92. Unbelievable
    5:50 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Yea, a player that was the MOP of our 98 championship deserves boos from UK fans because he has loyalty to his coach. I knew some UK fans were not smart, but I had no clue they were that dumb

93. Mountainman
    5:50 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like red mixed with my BLUE.
    enough said.

94. Unbelievable
    5:53 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

93) Sounds like you’re not capable of saying much else, anyway

95. ikeeveready
    5:53 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

All of the people hating on Jeff Sheppard and I get moderated out for pointing out nearly 40% of Cal’s NBA draftees have been 2nd year players or older and that Cal actually got Shep his championship ring?

96. Linda Taylor
    5:55 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

85 – Too bad they didn’t teach you how to use it.

97. Duke sucks
    6:01 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

What I know. Shepp has done a lot more for UK then any of you complaining about his comments have ever done! Shepp will not get booed in Rupp! He’s a poor business man? He’s a millionaire so he’s not doing to bad!
    Shepp just has the balls to say what every one else is thinking. Every one would like to see these kids stay around longer. Most get that given the current rules that not going to happen and have accepted it, but given the choice we would like to see them stick around longer. Hell even Cal says the same thing. UK has just got lucky and got a coach who knows how to take advantage of a bad rule.
    Cal job is to give UK the best team he can and he’s definatly done that. Untill the NBA changes the rule this is how it going to be. Think how good we would be if Cal got to keep these kids for a couple years.

98. rainman
    6:02 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

LOSERVILLE sucks, Tarholes suck, and Pukies suck!
    Have I left anything out?
    Oh yeah, the LOOSIERS suck too!

99. bbr
    6:03 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

“I know 3 kids off hand for sure that didn’t commit to ky in football out of the state because of the fans on this site.”
    No you don’t – Sounds impressive though.

100. OffTheWall11
    6:07 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

You know, Joe B. Hall is good friends with Denny Crum and does a radio show with him. He should just go live in Louisville and declare his allegiance to Pitino and UofL!!! HE HATES UK!!!!!! (Yes, this is sarcasm. Heavy sarcasm)

101. brain
    6:09 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t have any problem with what he said cause I don’t care what he says. Means nothing more than what a bunch of strangers here have to say. Cal’s killing it and I’m enjoying UK bb again.

102. BlueDeuce
    6:16 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I’d have to agree with Jeff on most of his points and even understand his relationship with Pitino. I do think too much is made about the number of draft picks UK has had…I don’t consider that success. But, a players first program is about the players, not returning players or seeing kids grow or the university. UK gets to reap the rewards such as #8 but also says goodbye to kids every year. It’s a fine line between what is good for the player and what is good for the school…I think it leans towards the player at UK.

103. scott
    6:19 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with what Sheppard said. I’ll take it one step further and say that I am less of a fan of college basketball today than the years past. This has nothing to do with Cal or any of the kids that left early. It is because of the nature of college basketball. I still love my Cats and can’t wait for this season but overall I have less of a “fan connection” to the players, and therefore, to the team. I think Cal has done a spectacular job but a spectacular job in a sport I have less of a connection to because of the one-and-done.

104. Because
    6:25 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

37,45 51- In just three posts you managed to label/describe the majority of us as “you hillbillies”, “you fools”, “these idiots”, “too stupid to understand”, “beyond your comprehension”, and “you people are astounding”…you definitely need to take “The Art of Persuasion 101″…leave out the name-calling…even pass on the dissing of the opposing view…simply state what you believe and why with passion and clarity…and leave it at that…and you may actually get somewhere with someone…your current method of dissing opposing views and name-calling causes the walls to go up instantly…and anything you say beyond that becomes unheard white noise…just an observation from a stupid, foolish, idiotic, hillbilly with no ability to comprehend anything. 🙂

105. lonnieb
    6:41 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

If you actually wish MKG, AD, Wall, COusins and the rest of the studs had of stayed at uk another year then you are a selfish person. Wishing lamb, teague, and liggins and some that left to go late 1st or second round thats fine… But to feel like a top 20 pick should come back is literally just selfish

106. BigBlueVein
    6:54 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Sheppard, you are not very smart.What school did you play for?
    Who is the enemy to UK now? Take your comments and stick them
    up your WAZOO!

107. Why?
    7:34 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#104 if the shoe fits, then by all means be like the rest and slip it on. It’s obvious that the large # of well worded, clear, concise reasonable posts attempting to enlighten those without the ability to actually comprehend that nothing Shep said was a criticism of Cal nor UK failed to enlighten. Therefore, i am left with no choice but to deduce that an extremely large # of these posts were indeed written by stupid, foolish, idiotic hillbillies. Sorry but it needs to be said (or typed)

108. blueaville
    8:06 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

“I can walk into the University of Louisville’s basketball offices and feel more comfortable there because Coach Pitino is there.”….that’s ALL I NEEDED TO HEAR. I don’t care what he says on Matt’s show tomorrow….too late. Go over to Floyd Street Jeff…you’d fit in there better anyhow. Midlevel talent who stays 4 years and then goes to sell insurance or real estate.

109. Why?
    8:11 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

#104 ….and post #108 could not have confirmed it more…..

110. Simple
    8:12 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Have no problem with what Jeff said, and agree 100%. He went way out of his way to clarify his position. If you can’t take the time to actually understand what he is saying, any reaction you have is invalid.

111. Linda Taylor
    8:16 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

107 – You don’t seem to understand that there is more to communication than the words that come out of your mouth. It also includes the facial expressions you make as you are saying them, the hand gestures you make while you are talking, etc. You, being a UL fan are used to being duped by Ricky P who lies every time he opens his mouth. I found the entire manner of Shep’s delivery objectionable. He grimaced over and over. Why wouldn’t he talk about the former players that didn’t finish their degrees under Rick or Tubby being given not only an opportunity under Cal to finish their degrees but also begin a career in coaching? Players like Wayne Turner and Marquis Estill are getting a second chance thanks to coach Cal. Tony Delk and Scott Padgett also got their start in coaching thanks to Cal. Cal doesn’t just give lip service to the tradition of Kentucky basketball he honors it and the players to helped to make it. If Shep had played under any other coach Rick P would never have welcomed him back to UK but Cal does. Rick P acted like none of our former players even existed. I’ve seen the difference between having Cal as a coach and having Rick P as a coach and I’ll take Cal every time. There is so much good Shep could have talked about but instead he focused on one and done and chose to be a whiney b&^%h about it. He should go tell it to the NBA not KY fans and he should NEVER act like he speaks for me because he doesn’t. My opinion of Rick P is so low that for a former player to say they are more comfortable around him than at UK says much about the character of the player and it is not good. He is scum of the earth and if that is who a player wants to be around then he must be pretty scummy too.

112. Michael
    8:59 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

@62, Please shut up. You do NOT know 3 different UK football recruits who did not sign with Kentucky because of comments on this board. That is absolutely dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. So you are telling me that these recruits and their parents are getting on sports teams websites and picking the school using THAT as criteria? GTFO I cant believe someone would honestly try to say that. It seems our football recruiting is going fine. Better be careful guys, nowadays college football recruits are picking schools based on their sports websites fan comments lol

113. Steve
    9:53 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Obviously a Louisville fan. Let him go work full time for Pitino. We don’t need him.